Poll

Gaming PC or HDTV + Xbox360

Gaming PC73%73% - 57
HDTV + Xbox36026%26% - 21
Total: 78
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6684
My current gaming rig is almost 4 years old now. It has an Athlon XP-M 2600+, Geforce 6800, and a gig of ram. Directx 10 and games like Crysis and Alan Wake are right around the corner. I'm having trouble justifying spending $1500+ getting new PC components and a better monitor primarily for gaming when those new games will be available on Xbox360, which can produce similar graphics for a much lower price.

So, this summer, I will either be buying a new PC or an HDTV (probably a 1080p LCD) + Xbox360 (maybe a Wii eventually). Both options will cost about the same, but the HDTV option seems like it would have more longevity. I would not have to spend a ton on PC components when the time to upgrade comes again, I would just need to get a new console. Plus I would be able to enjoy dvds and everyday tv watching on a nice TV. However, this also means I would be missing out on PC-only games. But right now I am missing out on games such as Gears of War and Rainbox 6: Vegas.

What do you think?

This is more of a question of should I go Gaming PC or HDTV + gaming console. Don't base you decision on the fact that I prefer Xbox360.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-11-27 21:40:35)

Archer
rapes face
+161|6462|Canuckistan
Don't get Xbox360.

You'll cry
devilhammer
+16|6633|San Marcos, Texas
hdtv + playstation 3
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6684

devilhammer wrote:

hdtv + playstation 3
I can't afford a playstation 3, nor would I buy one if I could.

This is more of a question of should I go Gaming PC or HDTV + gaming console.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-11-27 20:17:07)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6558|Adelaide, South Australia

Archer wrote:

Don't get Xbox360.
Shadovve
+10|6642|Columbus, OH

devilhammer wrote:

hdtv + playstation 3
I would wait at least a year for the PS3, first, you won't get one at the retail price for almost six months anyway, and if you wait a year, you can save at least $100 on it.  I personally suggest going for a new Gaming PC, you will get more out of your existing games, and most of the console games are released on PC too. 

I own both an Xbox, and a PS2, and will probably buy a 360 this year, and a PS3 in a couple of years.  I certainly understand the appeal of the console, but I really like PC gaming better.
devilhammer

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

devilhammer wrote:

hdtv + playstation 3

well if you cant afford the playstation 3 then i would still go for the hdtv and console
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6867|Grapevine, TX

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

devilhammer wrote:

hdtv + playstation 3

Love the HD+360, and as of Sunday... Gears of War... I agree man, wouldn't buy if wanted to spend $800USD...
devilhammer

Shadovve wrote:

devilhammer wrote:

hdtv + playstation 3
I would wait at least a year for the PS3, first, you won't get one at the retail price for almost six months anyway, and if you wait a year, you can save at least $100 on it.  I personally suggest going for a new Gaming PC, you will get more out of your existing games, and most of the console games are released on PC too. 

I own both an Xbox, and a PS2, and will probably buy a 360 this year, and a PS3 in a couple of years.  I certainly understand the appeal of the console, but I really like PC gaming better.
actually sony is releasing another 600,000 playstation 3 consoles on december 14th and the gaming pc will be out of date within a couple months anyways
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6508
pc pwns ur mom.  way more versatile and FUN.  also i suck at console games so i would never get a console.  however, wait til spring time to get a new pc.  dx10 needs to be more available and then itll be way cheaper.
Mr.Casual
p-n*|3eergogglz
+136|6547|Minnesota eh
I would get a HD tv and the xbox360. The TV can be used for more things and the xbox360 wil have halo 3 on it.
Maj.Do
+85|6790|good old CA
Hmm pros of the pc: Crysis   , DX10 cards(expensive),
COns: should cost alot and will get outdated soon w/ better DX10 cards and etc. Gotta worry about specs to get the best out of games.

X360 w/ HDTV pros:
Nice tv to watch movies on if you have like a 5.1 theater system
Better then a Computer monitor unless you have a widescreen
Dont have to worry about specs, all games work for it
XBox live
GOW

Cons:
Wont be as good as a pc in the future.  Who cares still fun games
hmmmm thats all i can think of

Id prefer the X360, you can still play crysis on low or medium
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6760|Eastern PA
HDTV + Console of your choice.

Over the long run you'll get much more use out of the TV, not just gaming.
montypythizzle
+21|6641
Smaller hdtv and a good gaming rig is an option?
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6508
just grow some weed in ur basement, sell it for mad profit and buy BOTH
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6487|Newcastle NSW Australia
Look, its simple, get the HDTV and a new computer. The best of boht worlds! I can hook my pc up to a 108 cm LG HDTV whenever mum and dad arent using it, and i have to say; ITS FUKEN AWSOME!
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6440
get a gaming pc with an hdtv screen, leave out the console u can do much more than game on a computer you know?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6684

p3lvicthrust wrote:

get a gaming pc with an hdtv screen, leave out the console u can do much more than game on a computer you know?
The only reason I would upgrade is for gaming. Even if I don't upgrade, I can still do everything else I need to on my current PC.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

Archer wrote:

Don't get Xbox360.

You'll cry
ur nuts.. try gears of war
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6588|UK

Kmarion wrote:

Archer wrote:

Don't get Xbox360.

You'll cry
ur nuts.. try gears of war
I agree with him, 360 for me was a huge disappointment so much so I got rid of the dam thing, plus fact it was overheating despite sitting in an open stand next to my other homecinema gear.  Software bar a few acceptions is awful, e.g pgr3 was an xbox game they tuned up to run on a 360, and many of the others, are scaled down pc games.  Like the topic creater said, these games (many of) will be available on 360, but there usually cut down versions, you are loosing quite a bit, and the fact a 360 game on average is more expensive than its PC counter part.  Meaning the 360 makes less financial sense the more you think about it.  360 games in the uk are usually £15 ($25 ish) more expensive than the pc version, so if your buying 10 games a year, theres your £150 extra you can pile into your gaming PC.  However, a HDTV isnt just for gaming, watch HD movies, tv etc, so depending on the individual, one choice is more suited to you than the other.

Martyn
XX-ifrit-XX
+3|6405|Somerset, England
Personally i would say go for the the PC out of the two choices however what im doing is getting a nice 37" LCD HDTV  (only 1080i as i hear the diffrence to p is tinny when using LCD) and then im going upgrade my PC bit by bit.

I Genrally a upgrade component every 3 months anyway so i dont get hit with paying 1.5K at once. Last piece i upgraded to was a Geforce 7950 (Galaxy) which i cant wait to play on 37" F.E.A.R on full spec should look like a dream.

Just get the TV and PC.
fannwong00
+6|6731|Paris, France (Sporean)

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

But right now I am missing out on games such as Gears of War and Rainbox 6: Vegas.

What do you think?

This is more of a question of should I go Gaming PC or HDTV + gaming console. Don't base you decision on the fact that I prefer Xbox360.
Honestly, it all boils down to the *content*, meaning the games and stuff that you want to do. For an example, if there's a game that you really like and it's only available on the PSP, you will have to get the PSP. However, if you really like BF2 in it's current form, then the only way out is the PC. I suggest that you try out Gears of War on a friend's console.

Off topic:
1. It's really hard to get a quick headshot on a console. I tried it and it doesn't work as well as mouse+kb
2. I like playing BF2 with living opponents that change tactics, so that game play is evolving even after 1 year.
3. Online gaming for most games are free. No monthly payment. Last I heard, Xbox online wasn't free, or am I wrong.
Techworld
Banned
+17|6441
get a pc, that way you can brag here about your epenis

The xbox or ps3 do not appeal to me that much anymore, i will get one intime for the release of gta
cosworth1983
+21|6523|Enschede / Netherlands
I would go for the PC,  because a friend of mine has a 360 and he owns several FPS games, and when i see them play COD3, i laugh really really hard,  there's really no aiming involved,  Spray and pray most of the times.
Don't know if that fun?,  but my friend says it is, so i believe him, but i  absolutely hate it.
Also a 360 or PS3 both aren't DX10 compatible,  and if you want games, you should go for DX10.

Greetz
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6826|Barrie Ontario
if i sell my ps2 im gonna buy a 360 just for GoW

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard