PinkSugarHeartAttack
Sailor Mini Moon
+0|6735
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyan … ;subj=news

Horrifying to read, and more so how it got passed in the first place. Discussion?
=RDG=[N.B]canadiannnn
Forklift Whore
+67|6774|Canader , eh?
good thing i dont live in the states..FUCK PRES BUSH!!!!!!!! (btw i DID NOT disclose my name )

Last edited by =RDG=[N.B]canadiannnn (2006-01-09 12:51:36)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

since when is 'annoy' a real legal term?
they're right when they say it's a fuzzy definition.. bloody hell.
RDMC_old
+0|6743|Almere, Holland
Whaha.. that sucks for yall Americans.. glad I aint one
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6748|United States
That's stupid.  I've heard of some stupid laws, but this beats them all.  I like America, except for some just plain idiotic laws.  Did you know it's illegal to spit on sidewalks on Friday?  Fun fact.  Wait, I'm complaining.  Complaining = Annoying.  Annoying on internet = 2 years in jail and a big fine.

I'll just plead self-defence.  Or insanity.  Yea.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6778|Atlanta, GA USA
That is a bunch of bullshit.  Based on that law, people on this forum could sue each other because their posts annoyed them.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6796|Singapore

And EVERYONE would end up in the clink.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6855|-
Yeah, that's pretty fuckin' stupid...
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6738|Peoria, Illinois

atlvolunteer wrote:

That is a bunch of bullshit.  Based on that law, people on this forum could sue each other because their posts annoyed them.
Maybe read up on the law before making an opinion?
taddzilla
+23|6850|Pembroke Pines, FL.
My name is Tadd, and I plan to annoy the world. 

Does that cover it legally?????   

(damn stupid laws)

Last edited by taddzilla (2006-01-09 15:07:25)

M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

This law is meant to prevent perverts from calling some girl using their computer voice device and harrassing her. I don't believe that's "fucking stupid" What's "fucking stupid" is that Cnet authors seem to be joining the big news reporters in sensationalizing boring news to get readers engaged in what is more or less the same old boring congressional laws.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6778|Atlanta, GA USA

M1-Lightning wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

Well, according to the article:
It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."
I assume the part in quotes is directly from the law.  Does that sound reasonable to you?
EDIT:  He links to a description of the law:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html … -000-.html
Part a.1.C States:
makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications device, whether or not conversation or communication ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who receives the communications;
The key being:
utilizes a telecommunications device, whether or not conversation or communication ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy
Lots of people post stuff with the intent to annoy someone who is getting on their nerves.  Should this be a crime?  Well, apparently it is.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-01-09 15:22:01)

M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers

atlvolunteer wrote:

M1-Lightning wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."
I assume the part in quotes is directly from the law.  Does that sound reasonable to you?
That law already existed for telephones. This new addition to an already exiting law is to cover computer telephones as well.

That is intended for voice activated telecommunications, not text on a message board.

This author is misleading people with the intent to get something stirred up for ratings. It's bull. Read the already existing law yourself:

and the new addition to it:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c … Yu:e96088:
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6855|-

M1-Lightning wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

This law is meant to prevent perverts from calling some girl using their computer voice device and harrassing her. I don't believe that's "fucking stupid" What's "fucking stupid" is that Cnet authors seem to be joining the big news reporters in sensationalizing boring news to get readers engaged in what is more or less the same old boring congressional laws.
Excuse me for not being politically savvy.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6778|Atlanta, GA USA

M1-Lightning wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

M1-Lightning wrote:

That law already existed for telephones. This new addition to an already exiting law is to cover computer telephones as well.

That is intended for voice activated telecommunications, not text on a message board.

This author is misleading people with the intent to get something stirred up for ratings. It's bull. Read the already existing law yourself:

and the new addition to it:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c … Yu:e96088:
I guess you saw my last post before I edited it.  I read both of those.  I did misconstrue that the first already had the amended writing. 
After reading it again, it looks like anyone who "uses any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy" is in violation of this law.  Would this be a correct interpretation? 
What exactly constitutes "uses any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy?"  Would someone posting a flame on this forum?  That sounds to me like "uses software that can be used to originate communications that are transmitted by the Internet without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."  Is that what the law was intended to protect against?  Probably not.  Will it be used to prosecute someone for something stupid like that?  I'd say yes.  You find any stupid or mis-worded law, and I'll bet you there is some asshole prosecutor out there who has misused it.
S4INT05
+1|6737|79605, TX
HE'S ON A BILL SIGNING RAMPAGE!@!!! RAWR!

that's bullshit. pretty soon we will be punished for flaming.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

M1-Lightning wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Excuse me for not being politically savvy.
Don't take it personal.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6762|The Netherlands
the US allready has stupid laws.
like in some states you may not pump your petrol yourself. someone working there must do that.
so this adds another one to the list of stupid laws...

Damn it feels good to be an European
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6720|Norway
an·noy   Audio pronunciation of "annoy" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-noi)
v. an·noyed, an·noy·ing, an·noys
v. tr.

1. To cause slight irritation to (another) by troublesome, often repeated acts.
   2. To harass or disturb by repeated attacks.

v. intr.

To be annoying.

As a common term, sure - as a legal term??!!! WTF?

Synonyms: annoy, irritate, bother, irk, vex, provoke, aggravate, peeve, rile
These verbs mean to disturb or trouble a person, evoking moderate anger. Annoy refers to mild disturbance caused by an act that tries one's patience: The sound of the printer annoyed me.

Tries one's patience??? How about all the damn bunnyjumpers and dolphin-divers??? How about EA?

Stupid, stupid, stupid...
ResDog1
+51|6772|Netherlands

beeng wrote:

since when is 'annoy' a real legal term?
they're right when they say it's a fuzzy definition.. bloody hell.
I am annoyed with Beeng for cutting short the stripmovie and showing some ugly n...African American.

To jail with him.
TC><Injecter
+4|6835|Berlin, Germany
Somehow... First it sounds as dumb as the law, that in one state (forgot which) it got forbidden to make a tanga visible while ducking/proning -.- Isnt that idiotic? It was to prevent guys from raping women. SO: To prevent someone raping someone, all women should stop wearing tangas... (although hot pants get trendy now....)... Thats dumb... OK: This law is somewhat cleverer but its dumb in some way too...
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6836|Grapevine, TX

Bert10099 wrote:

That's stupid.  I've heard of some stupid laws, but this beats them all.  I like America, except for some just plain idiotic laws.  Did you know it's illegal to spit on sidewalks on Friday?  Fun fact.  Wait, I'm complaining.  Complaining = Annoying.  Annoying on internet = 2 years in jail and a big fine.

I think you are mistaken.  I'm not an attorney, but what State law are you talking about?  I've been around the US and the world and the only place on Earth that I know of where it is ill eagle to spit on the sidewalk with a $2500 fine is Singapore.

fdcp_elmo wrote:

the US already has stupid laws.
like in some states you may not pump your petrol yourself. someone working there must do that.

Damn it feels good to be an American! There are stupid people that make stupid comments like you over here, too.  So tell me Bright One, what states is that a law... Right none. Period. There are gas stations that are only full-service, but it's your choice to drive across the street to a self-service station.  And to be fair and accurate every nation on Earth has some pretty stupid laws.
                                                            http://www.dumblaws.com/
CreepingDeath
+1|6751
Just another law that can't or wont be inforced . . Hell with our jails ALWAYS being over flowing with most non -criminals  :-) You won't being doing any real time . .let out in a matter of hours .. Its just another way our goverment will be strong arm robbing us .. As always. .
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6778|Atlanta, GA USA

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

I think you are mistaken.  I'm not an attorney, but what State law are you talking about?  I've been around the US and the world and the only place on Earth that I know of where it is ill eagle to spit on the sidewalk with a $2500 fine is Singapore.

fdcp_elmo wrote:

Damn it feels good to be an American! There are stupid people that make stupid comments like you over here, too.  So tell me Bright One, what states is that a law... Right none. Period. There are gas stations that are only full-service, but it's your choice to drive across the street to a self-service station.  And to be fair and accurate every nation on Earth has some pretty stupid laws.
Actually, Oregon requires that an attendant pump gas.  I thought it was the most fucked up thing I had ever seen when I went there for a business trip.  You can even read about it on the website you posted:
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon/
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers

atlvolunteer wrote:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

fdcp_elmo wrote:

Actually, Oregon requires that an attendant pump gas.  I thought it was the most fucked up thing I had ever seen when I went there for a business trip.  You can even read about it on the website you posted:
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon/
New Jersey is the only other one. Complete ignorance in those states' legilatures. They have the right to abortions but no right to pump their own gas. O-K-A-Y idiots. They must attract idiots from all over America.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard