Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

steelie34 wrote:

dayarath wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

The splitting of the atom was pretty revolutionary.  This may reveal free energy, or summin really good to save us from the energy crisis.  But if it blows the shit out of all of us, well, I just hope it's quick.  It would suck to survive hours, or days as the earth shook, or continents collapsed in on a growing hole where the LHC once was.  THAT would suck.

I was told that when the biblical end comes, it will be by fire.   Could said fire be some experiment that went whoopsy?  Not that I entirely believe in a biblical end, but i still wonder..
Well when hawking was wrong and some micro black hole does suddenly come into existance, we're thoroughly fucked - unless anti matter works. That's our last hope.
we dont even understand gravity, let alone anti-matter.
we do.

Antimatter = positron, positron is a positively charged elektron.

An elektron has a mass of 0 (this is in comparison to neutrons and protons, the mass is so small we just make it 0.) and they are charged with a charge of -1.

Positrons, are exactly the opposite of an elektron, they too have a mass of 0 and, instead, a charge of +1.

Now what happens when a positron gets in touch with something else? Seeing as every particle in our universe (except for positrons themselves) have elektrons, loaded with -1 - a positron / elektron collision is quite the disaster.

When a positron gets in touch with an elektron the charges of -1 and +1 get togheter, meaning you get a charge of 0.

Now, when that happens you suddenly get an object with a mass of 0, and a charge of 0. This object is a gamma ray. Every single particle that comes in touch with a positron will be decomposed and transferred into gamma rays. (for example, you fly a plane into a cloud of positrons - the plane will 'dissolve' and be transferred into gamma rays. That's all that'll be left of it.

We know how to artificially create a positron, and we even discovered a whole cloud of these things in space (thanks to space being vacuum, there's nothing a positron can get in touch with - however once it gets in touch with other celestial bodies it will turn them into gamma rays.)

So what we need is this tube to be vacuum with the black hole in it. Pour in alot of positrons, and the black hole will hopefully be transferred into gamma rays. That is, if the black hole is composed out of objects with matter.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-04-08 12:41:14)

inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

SenorToenails wrote:

Dr.Red-Eye wrote:

Whats the experiment for?
To find the Higgs Boson.
bingo, besides that it can do more but that's the objective and what it's built for.
inane little opines
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6283|North Tonawanda, NY

dayarath wrote:

we do.

An elektron has a mass of 0 (this is in comparison to neutrons and protons, the mass is so small we just make it 0.) and they are charged with a charge of -1.

Positrons, are exactly the opposite of an elektron, they too have a mass of 0 and, instead, a charge of +1.

Now what happens when a positron gets in touch with something else? Seeing as every particle in our universe (except for positrons themselves) have elektrons, loaded with -1 - a positron / elektron collision is quite the disaster.

When a positron gets in touch with an elektron the charges of -1 and +1 get togheter, meaning you get a charge of 0.

Now, when that happens you suddenly get an object with a mass of 0, and a charge of 0. This object is a gamma ray. Every single particle that comes in touch with a positron will be decomposed and transferred into gamma rays. (for example, you fly a plane into a cloud of positrons - the plane will 'dissolve' and be transferred into gamma rays. That's all that'll be left of it.

We know how to artificially create a positron, and we even discovered a whole cloud of these things in space (thanks to space being vacuum, there's nothing a positron can get in touch with - however once it gets in touch with other celestial bodies it will turn them into gamma rays.)

So what we need is this tube to be vacuum with the black hole in it. Pour in alot of positrons, and the black hole will hopefully be transferred into gamma rays. That is, if the black hole is composed out of objects with matter.
Blergh... I choked a little when you said the electron has zero mass.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

SenorToenails wrote:

As I said, in comparison to neutrons and protons. It's very small so we'll just keep it at 0. I don't know just like that the exact mass of an elektron I'd have to look it up.
inane little opines
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

dayarath wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

As I said, in comparison to neutrons and protons. It's very small so we'll just keep it at 0. I don't know just like that the exact mass of an elektron I'd have to look it up.
I believe it is .511MeV/c2.  It's small, but not that small.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-04-08 12:50:32)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

SenorToenails wrote:

0 is the mass you get teached when you start with the basic reaction equations. So I'll just keep it like that, so that it's easier to understand.

could be right btw

yeah you're right, even so - neutrons and protons compose most of the mass of an atom. elektrons are nothing in comparison to those two, it's like a grain of sand in a sandbox.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-04-08 12:54:37)

inane little opines
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

dayarath wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

0 is the mass you get teached when you start with the basic reaction equations. So I'll just keep it like that, so that it's easier to understand.

could be right btw
Ohhhh...you got that from chemistry class.  That would explain the difference.  :-p
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

SenorToenails wrote:

dayarath wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

could be right btw
Ohhhh...you got that from chemistry class.  That would explain the difference.  :-p
well it would be quite annoying to start writing for example...

(making the numbers up atm)

93             0.00000~and so on
228 TH +   -1                           e -> ~~~
inane little opines
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6534|the land of bourbon
let me re-phrase... we don't understand anti-matter on any usable or practical level.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

steelie34 wrote:

let me re-phrase... we don't understand anti-matter on any usable or practical level.
not entirely true still, CERN uses them on a regular basis.
inane little opines
avman633
+116|6517

dayarath wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

1/1838 of a proton in amu.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6534|the land of bourbon

dayarath wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

oh right, its for the black-hole-destroyer gun in case the buttsecks machine tries to kills us all... 

jk, but i still think the risk level is within acceptable limits.  they wouldn't try this if there truly was a way for this to cause a massive catastrophe (i hope.)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

steelie34 wrote:

dayarath wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

oh right, its for the black-hole-destroyer gun in case the buttsecks machine tries to kills us all... 

jk, but i still think the risk level is within acceptable limits.  they wouldn't try this if there truly was a way for this to cause a massive catastrophe (i hope.)
Nah that's true, what I described is just a -what if- case.

They themselves say the chance of a blackhole being created is so small it's laughable, also they don't think they can produce enough energy for that.
inane little opines
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6653|so randum

steelie34 wrote:

dayarath wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

It's in fucking Switzerland, they're banned from taking risks!

In a note to all the people scared and shit.

These people at CERN are waaaaaay smarter than all of us, especially in the field they're investigating. Hell, they're probably the most intelligent people in that field in the entire world.

So if they say there is no risk, i'm happy to take their word for it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|6114|Washington DC
If it kills us all, we won't even notice. Cry moar.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6885|St. Andrews / Oslo

lol Archer
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6837|West Yorkshire, U.K
April Fools!

Oh shi-
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|6137|Halifax, West Yorkshire

Kurazoo wrote:

April Fools!

Oh shi-
It's April the 8th... O wait dat woz a funneh!!! lolOLoLoL
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6823|The Netherlands

dayarath wrote:

Not entirely true.

Positrons aren't the only kinds of anti-matter. Quarks (which make up protons and neutrons) also have their counterpart.
The anti-matter Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Bottom and Top quarks are conveniently called antiup, antidown, antistrange, anticharm, antibottom and antitop.

The 'heavier' electrons, muons and tau leptons also have counterparts.

What I (and other people) don't know is if neutrino's also have an anti-matter variant, because they already have a charge of 0.

(Picked this up at some masterclass, but refreshed my memory wit wikipedia btw)
Ryan
+1,230|6996|Alberta, Canada

ATG wrote:

"Any matter coming into contact with it would fall into it and never be able to escape. Eventually, all of earth would fall into such growing micro-black-hole, converting earth into a medium-sized black hole, around which would continue to orbit the moon, satellites, the ISS, etc."

If a black hole was created and the Earth was sucked into it I HIGHLY doubt the International Space Station would orbit it for long.
Earth would have suck itself inside out basically, which I highly doubt would work. And a black hole will not orbit anything. Blackholes attract things towards, sucking them inwards.
irishtop
Hopscotch Champion
+11|6315|Houston, Texas
physics is win. im really hoping they get a good look at the higgs at CERN, it would be interesting to find out new discoveries and ideas if they get any cool new information. and i place my confidence in the Hawkins radiation theory, it would be pretty awesome to say that mankind has been able to recreate one of the most destructive things in all of the universe (that we know of thus far).
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6599|Chicago, IL

Ryan wrote:

ATG wrote:

"Any matter coming into contact with it would fall into it and never be able to escape. Eventually, all of earth would fall into such growing micro-black-hole, converting earth into a medium-sized black hole, around which would continue to orbit the moon, satellites, the ISS, etc."

If a black hole was created and the Earth was sucked into it I HIGHLY doubt the International Space Station would orbit it for long.
Earth would have suck itself inside out basically, which I highly doubt would work. And a black hole will not orbit anything. Blackholes attract things towards, sucking them inwards.
not true at all.

A black hole has the same gravitational field as a larger object of the same mass, i.e. a black hole the mass of earth would have the same gravity as earth at the same distance from the center, and the moon, satellites, and space stations will continue to orbit it without problem.

There have been numerous binary and ternary star systems observed where one of the members is a black hole or neutron star, and they have no adverse effect on the stability of the system.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|6114|Washington DC
Those binary systems are so cool, the photos at least... all that sun plasma getting sucked in to this abyss of darkness and "wtf"-ness...
buttersIRL
+17|6750

FatherTed wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

dayarath wrote:

It's in fucking Switzerland, they're banned from taking risks!

In a note to all the people scared and shit.

These people at CERN are waaaaaay smarter than all of us, especially in the field they're investigating. Hell, they're probably the most intelligent people in that field in the entire world.

So if they say there is no risk, i'm happy to take their word for it.
just because these guys studied phyics doesn't mean there is no risk. You experiment to test if a theory is True or not, if they knew it was 100% true there would be no need to experiment.

it would be really funny if they run the experiment, recreate the big bang (on a small scale) and accidentally create GOD !
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6382|NSW, Australia

lol

i havent died yet either...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard