blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6636
On November 27, 2006, the final superconducting main magnet was delivered to CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) -- the most ambitious physics experiment ever created.Due to come online in November 2007, the LHC is the world's biggest and most powerful particle accelerator. The giant underground loop of tunnels, magnets and detectors will be capable of replicating conditions just after the Big Bang, helping to answer questions about the nature of matter and the creation of the universe.

Pics here

Here is one pic of how it looks
https://www.wired.com/images/slideshow/2006/11/inside_lage_hadron_wiredphotos2/01.jpg
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Reckut/Desktop-Background.jpg
To view the rest click on the link up top.

Walter F. Wagner and his colleague Luis Sancho have filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop work on the Large Hadron Collider, a gigantic atom smasher on the Franco-Swiss border that's set to start operations in May.

What Physicists claim:
Physicists hope its incredible energies will form briefly-lived new particles that could shed light on the origins of the universe, among other marvels.

What plaintiffs claim:
The plaintiffs' concerns? That the LHC could accidentally create strange new particles that would instantly transform any matter they touched, engulfing the Earth, or, even worse, make a rapidly expanding black hole that could consume the entire planet.

"The compression of the two atoms colliding together at nearly light speed will cause an irreversible implosion, forming a miniature version of a giant black hole," reads the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Honolulu.

"Any matter coming into contact with it would fall into it and never be able to escape. Eventually, all of earth would fall into such growing micro-black-hole, converting earth into a medium-sized black hole, around which would continue to orbit the moon, satellites, the ISS, etc."

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie … lideView=3
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342854,00.html

Modedit: COUNTDOWN TIMER AVAILABLE HERE
Link courtesy of stkhoplite. -DF

Last edited by blademaster (2008-03-28 20:31:51)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5956|London, England

Want
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Presence
+2|6309
murphy's law will come into play here
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5991|The Mitten
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/large_hadron_collider.png
EE (hats
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6347|England - Kent
I remember reading about this about a year ago, thay said it would ether solve mans problems with energy or blow up the planet 50/50....
I like them odds lol.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6820|Grapevine, TX
they seriously need better cable management. This isn't 1995
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5953|Washington DC
You know, back when we tested the first nuke, the scientists were scared that the atoms would continue to split and an uncontrollable chain reaction would happen and the universe ceased to exist.

As history told us, they decided to risk that and they blew them up anyways.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6820|Grapevine, TX
^^^ True Story
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command
"Any matter coming into contact with it would fall into it and never be able to escape. Eventually, all of earth would fall into such growing micro-black-hole, converting earth into a medium-sized black hole, around which would continue to orbit the moon, satellites, the ISS, etc."

If a black hole was created and the Earth was sucked into it I HIGHLY doubt the International Space Station would orbit it for long.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/opinions/images/idiotOfYear_228.jpg

I just say, isn't there better things to be spending money on?
PeoNinja
Ninja Fart - Silent but Deadly
+31|6190
https://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/colider.jpg
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
Particles in space routinely collide at near light speed, with no observable effects.

I'm not concerned in the slightest
GR34
+215|6536|ALBERTA> CANADA
Well if they do kill us I am going to eat there balls
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6455|meh-land
actually they're going to be creating mini blackholes...

that's where the crap about blowing upt he world comes from

have fun with your 1 in a trillion trillion trillion odds, etc
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone

blademaster wrote:

What plaintiffs claim:
The plaintiffs' concerns? That the LHC could accidentally create strange new particles that would instantly transform any matter they touched, engulfing the Earth, or, even worse, make a rapidly expanding black hole that could consume the entire planet.

"The compression of the two atoms colliding together at nearly light speed will cause an irreversible implosion, forming a miniature version of a giant black hole," reads the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Honolulu.

LOL... talk about ignorance.
d4rkph03n1x
+131|6741

Blehm98 wrote:

think of all the upset sport victories, games league tournaments ETC ETC and those bullshit poker hands that you won on the river. Now fucking say 1 in a trillion odds isnt shit. I for one am mildly scared, and i suppose if they do fuck it up, theres not much we could do about it anyway, so enjoy life all you can. If one thing doesnt kill us, another will.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

think of all the upset sport victories, games league tournaments ETC ETC and those bullshit poker hands that you won on the river. Now fucking say 1 in a trillion odds isnt shit. I for one am mildly scared, and i suppose if they do fuck it up, theres not much we could do about it anyway, so enjoy life all you can. If one thing doesnt kill us, another will.
poker odds are hundreds to one for a really high hand, sports odds are usually on the order of ten to one or less.

1 in a trillion is 1:1,000,000,000,000, roughly the odds of a large meteor impacting earth tomorrow.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6586|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
*sigh*, there will always be pessimists.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY
Good lord.  From what I read at other sites, one of the leaders of the lawsuit is a radiation safety officer.  The educational difference between radiation safety and particle physics is very large, to say the least.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6277|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
I don't want to die.

Last edited by Undetected_Killer (2008-03-28 22:03:06)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6380|New York

DrunkFace wrote:

blademaster wrote:

What plaintiffs claim:

LOL... talk about ignorance.
Fuckin, seriously. They need to Learn to wiki tbh.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
colonelioan
+14|6447|Kanada
Fuck, this is scary.... I'd rather like a Delta-Force team sent to destroy the facilitiy, even if you would create tensions, i'd rather not die in a horrible way in 2 minutes.......

Please USA, do it, destroy it. and you saved mankind, also ban the construction of those machines... Destroy all the blueprints.

This is too risky, use your common sense stupid scientists, hit the brakes now. Its better to be safe than sorry.
There are some things that we are not meant to know anyways.....

I'm really scared..
Smithereener
+138|6307|California
I'm intimidated, but I think it's more fascinating than terrifying.

This will be interesting.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY

colonelioan wrote:

Fuck, this is scary.... I'd rather like a Delta-Force team sent to destroy the facilitiy, even if you would create tensions, i'd rather not die in a horrible way in 2 minutes.......

Please USA, do it, destroy it. and you saved mankind, also ban the construction of those machines... Destroy all the blueprints.

This is too risky, use your common sense stupid scientists, hit the brakes now. Its better to be safe than sorry.

I'm really scared..
I hope to god you are kidding.  There is so much potential for knowledge with this new collider.  I hope it confirms the standard model, which is basically its goal.
Stun_Gun
The Tom Cruise of BF2 pilots
+102|6764|California, US

Presence wrote:

murphy's law will come into play here
^^
Agreed
Something bad can happen with what they are trying to do....
They can say all the odds they want to but just that little chance of something like killing everyone or creating a black hole isnt worth it....

Last edited by Stun_Gun (2008-03-28 22:36:36)

colonelioan
+14|6447|Kanada

SenorToenails wrote:

colonelioan wrote:

I'm really scared..
I hope to god you are kidding.  There is so much potential for knowledge with this new collider.  I hope it confirms the standard model, which is basically its goal.
What if it fails? Imagine, your hole life ending in a few moments....

The point of those machines is ok, but they must be 100% safe, you are playing with fire here.

I'm anxious about this.......

Like saying, humm we found a way to explain everything in the past with a new machine! But there is a small risk of screwing it completely and get erased from the universe! Crossroads: decide, I got for the safe side.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard