Poll

is css the most skilled game?

yes27%27% - 16
no72%72% - 42
Total: 58
karl
+11|6509|Oslo-Norway
i was just wondering because on all the other games there is something wrong, like snipers sitt in a bush far a way and get allot of kills and few deathes...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
CS:Source boils down to being a game of repetition and routine. You simply walk through the same 2/3 paths that are constructed on each map, and prepare yourself better than the enemy in order to kill them through sheer practice/patience. The impatient and the ill-prepared always die first, whereas the people that have spent 200 hours playing de_dust2 come top because they've camped the same 3 pathways for 3 months.

Skill? The shooting system/recoil system sure is more challenging than a lot of other games. But CS:Source is a far more predictable FPS game than many others. I'm not sure whether you could class that as player-skill (like reflexes and aiming ability in Unreal Tournament for example) or just sheer patience and preparation (having all the flashbangs and correct camping spots etc.)

My $0.02

Last edited by Uzique (2008-03-22 15:30:13)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271

Uzique wrote:

CS:Source boils down to being a game of repetition and routine. You simply walk through the same 2/3 paths that are constructed on each map, and prepare yourself better than the enemy in order to kill them through sheer practice/patience. The impatient and the ill-prepared always die first, whereas the people that have spent 200 hours playing de_dust2 come top because they've camped the same 3 pathways for 3 months.

Skill? The shooting system/recoil system sure is more challenging than a lot of other games. But CS:Source is a far more predictable FPS game than many others. I'm not sure whether you could class that as player-skill (like reflexes and aiming ability in Unreal Tournament for example) or just sheer patience and preparation (having all the flashbangs and correct camping spots etc.)

My $0.02
I agree.

I'm impatient in the game, and can't stand waiting around for enemies to appear, and I also never could get the hang of the weird aiming thing they have going on. My guns never seemed to fire accurately.

So I can do quite well sometimes. I enjoy the gun game, I can do fairly well in that.
iPwnerrrr
Lets go tazy crazy!
+19|6264
I agree with Uzique. It completely comes down to you knowing the map. Now, If we had CS:S with maps like BF2 has, now that would be a skilled game. No Snipers, Nobody to rearm you, and it's a huge open area.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6655
Tactics are the most important part of CSS, and you can greatly compensate for a lack of shooting skills by manipulating the game. I haven't played it consistently (read: more than a day) for over a year, yet every time I play I can get kills by using tactics instead of relying on face-to-face shooting battles. Half the game is looking at where your teammates go, correlating it with the scoreboard for who is good and who is not, paying attention to the radar to identify weak and strong routes, timing your movements, figuring out who is going where on both teams by paying attention to kills and deaths, and looking for patterns in earlier rounds. There are many more factors, realizing that the actual fight is only the result of dozens of different elements is what makes a good player.

Compare it to dogfighting in BF2: Before the patch that made missles hit, it didn't matter if someone got on your tail. People simply did not care. For Joe Pilot, a dogfight was when one player started shooting at another. Thus, only the fight itself mattered. Once missles were made powerful, all those pilots were in for a shock. They thought dogfighting was now random, yet the victor in a dogfight is determined entirely by the person who does it one step at a time: He who thinks "how do I kill him?" will lose. He who thinks "how do I get behind him?" will learn and win. He is the player who will realize how it works.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm posting in this thread against my better judgement as I despise you.

Anyway, there's probably a lot more skilled games out there. Like Flight simulator that has a learning curve equal to the size of Nyte's head. I've played it on and off for 3 years now, and I still get bad rounds. There's a fair amount of luck in that game. A retard can spray and get a kill.

However overall you will get cained over and over at the start or if you're shit.
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

By far no.
jord
BTW for the 3 routes people.

There's more maps than the standard ones.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Counter Strike is 70% luck.

Aim in general direction, pray for headshot.

Games that require your aim to be exact for a long time (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) take way more skill.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

PBAsydney wrote:

Wrong... Completely wrong.
jord

PBAsydney wrote:

Well that might be how you play...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6655

PBAsydney wrote:

Games that require your aim to be exact for a long time (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) take way more skill.
'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet you can get a headshot from a mile away if you move and aim properly. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet when you run and shoot your bullet randomly hits somewhere in a 3 meter area. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet unless if you move perfectly you wont hit shit. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet it lets you put skill to use more than almost all other FPS games.

'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet you have to be exact constantly or you lose.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
1.6 is

source? god no
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Lucien wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet you can get a headshot from a mile away if you move and aim properly. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet when you run and shoot your bullet randomly hits somewhere in a 3 meter area. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet unless if you move perfectly you wont hit shit. 'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet it lets you put skill to use more than almost all other FPS games.

'Counter Strike is 70% luck', yet you have to be exact constantly or you lose.
Ok, you got me, I just suck at CS
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6577|London
ROFL NO, quake 3 arena is the most skill-based imo, and even that game involves a lot of memorising weapon and health spawns.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

My guns never seemed to fire accurately.
CSS guns are actually veerrryy accurate, its the crosshairs that are misleading. Unlike in other games where during a spray the crosshairs will simply spread out more and the bullets deviate more or less within this area, in CSS the crosshairs stay more or less the same size and only the first one or two bullets go where you are aiming. After that you need to aim well under your target (depends on distance) and the recoil will carry the bullets into them

Last edited by Aries_37 (2008-03-22 16:42:51)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

Aries_37 wrote:

ROFL NO, quake 3 arena is the most skill-based imo, and even that game involves a lot of memorising weapon and health spawns.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

CSS guns are actually veerrryy accurate, its the crosshairs that are misleading. Unlike in other games where during a spray the crosshairs will simply spread out more and the bullets deviate more or less within this area, in CSS the crosshairs stay more or less the same size and only the first one or two bullets go where you are aiming. After that you need to aim well under your target (depends on distance) and the recoil will carry the bullets into them
I have mine set to TINY (3500 to CSS people)

perfect for long range.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

White-Fusion wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

perfect for long range.
What color? I can't see how those wouldn't fade into the map really fast. Not just hard to see except for the pros or whatever, but I mean the four pixels just blend into the map.
Emil
Teh strogg!
+205|6481|Trondheim, Norway
Enemy Territory-games are a lot more skill than CS-games.

In CS it is usually just aiming in the same exact height all the time, and you only need 1 shot to kill on headshot (sometimes 2 if they wear kevlar w/helmet). In games like ET:QW there is a lot more up and down, strafing and speed, AND you need 3-4 headshots on a full-health player. You also got the Quake-games and warsow which consists og much the same movement as the ET-games, just faster
jord

Emil wrote:

Enemy Territory-games are a lot more skill than CS-games.

In CS it is usually just aiming in the same exact height all the time, and you only need 1 shot to kill on headshot (sometimes 2 if they wear kevlar w/helmet). In games like ET:QW there is a lot more up and down, strafing and speed, AND you need 3-4 headshots on a full-health player. You also got the Quake-games and warsow which consists og much the same movement as the ET-games, just faster
Easier kills also means easier deaths. One shot kill for headshots is bad as well as good.
c14u53w172
+31|6000|tomania

White-Fusion wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Wrong... Completely wrong.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

perfect for long range.
What color? I can't see how those wouldn't fade into the map really fast. Not just hard to see except for the pros or whatever, but I mean the four pixels just blend into the map.
Pale blue
Commie Killer
+192|6388
Yes and no. Regular CSS is dominated by virgins who havent left there mothers basement since it was released. That said, to succede in CSS, you need two things in my opinion. One, to know the map you are playing on by heart. Two, good aim and understanding of the retarded as fuck aiming system in the game. My opinion is, your crosshair size should not matter, period. It should be small all the time, BUT, recoil should shake the thing all over the screen. Your ability to control the weapon should be important, not your ability to guess where your shots are gonna hit with the cone of fire system. If Valve would ever fix that, and include iron sights....well that would be a different game.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6355|West NY
You just need practice. Then, well...you get the hang of it. It's not the flashes or the paths or anything, just how used you get to the shooting system. The downfall of it is that there are two causes of loss in accuracy (for now we'll reference it as lia..lol..lia..) 1. Firing 2. Crouching & Movement. You can't just crouch at the sight of an enemy and fire a fair couple of bursts. There's too much LIA. You have to get up and dance around until the LIA from firing dissapears. Then you crouch and take another couple of shots. (This isn't really necesary once you get headshots on sight)

EDIT

Then there's also the factor of close range combat. The headshot system is a problem. Spraying at close range with any weapon...it becomes pure luck who wins if someone gets a headshot. Pro vs Noob, the noob still has 200% more of a chance at killing the pro at close range by spraying, whereas the the...seasoned player will probably still come out victorious. But usually cQc= someone coming out QQ'ing because it's on sheer luck.

Last edited by Noobpatty (2008-03-22 19:10:05)

link52787
+29|6523
Little bit of both.  I like to play office, play long enough you should know where people would hide.
Hearing is important.  You have to listen for people when they reload their guns and running footsteps.
karl
+11|6509|Oslo-Norway
ok can you guys please give me a list of the most skilled games....

I want to play them and test how good i am...

(if you want to just pm them to me)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard