djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6357|Oregon
I work for a grocery store...  I work in the Deli, so I'm handling a lot of food.
We don't staff a lot of people, because we don't make a ton of money, because we kinda suck compared to other options people have...
SO, when I call in sick, like I did today, my manager says "No, you need to come in..."
And I say "I can't handle food, I think I might have the flu..."
And she says "Well, we can't replace you, nobody else can come in... they would be working overtime [which of course, our cheap ass store can't afford]..."
And I say "well, I can't handle food... I could get someone sick"
She says "Well take some Tylenol and come in... if you don't look sick then they won't know you made them sick."

I then told her that about 50 percent of the people I serve food to are 50 or older, and that giving an older person the flu could potentially kill them.

Then she told me to stay home.

Honestly, what the fuck?
And last week, in talking to a coworker who works in the bakery, I learned that she was forced to come into work when she had a serious lung infection. Only a trip to the ICU finally got her out of work.

This is absolutely disgusting to me.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the rant... but also consider it a warning...
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5986|London, England

Thats awful, report your manager seriously, yeah get her ass sacked then you can take over as manager

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-03-13 13:15:03)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6433|Belgium
If you'd know all the disgusting things that go on in the food processing industry you would be too scared to eat anything that wasn't homegrown.
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6650|Mexifornia, USA
What store is it?
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6357|Oregon

Jibbles wrote:

What store is it?
Safeway
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6659|Amsterdam, NY

djphetal wrote:

Jibbles wrote:

What store is it?
Safeway
ironic name is ironic
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6543

SgtSlutter wrote:

djphetal wrote:

Jibbles wrote:

What store is it?
Safeway
ironic name is ironic
lol wut
nice name <3

Last edited by ig (2008-03-13 13:23:30)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6795|Noizyland

That's pretty slack. At my work they encourage us to work over our breaks, (I only get to use a third of my legally required break,) but if someone's ill and their job is to handle food, (not me unfortunatly, I work in the alcohol section,) they are told to go home even if they turn up.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6661|Your moms bedroom

djphetal wrote:

I work for a grocery store...  I work in the Deli, so I'm handling a lot of food.
We don't staff a lot of people, because we don't make a ton of money, because we kinda suck compared to other options people have...
SO, when I call in sick, like I did today, my manager says "No, you need to come in..."
And I say "I can't handle food, I think I might have the flu..."
And she says "Well, we can't replace you, nobody else can come in... they would be working overtime [which of course, our cheap ass store can't afford]..."
And I say "well, I can't handle food... I could get someone sick"
She says "Well take some Tylenol and come in... if you don't look sick then they won't know you made them sick."

I then told her that about 50 percent of the people I serve food to are 50 or older, and that giving an older person the flu could potentially kill them.

Then she told me to stay home.

Honestly, what the fuck?
And last week, in talking to a coworker who works in the bakery, I learned that she was forced to come into work when she had a serious lung infection. Only a trip to the ICU finally got her out of work.

This is absolutely disgusting to me.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the rant... but also consider it a warning...
she told you to stay home cause now your on the short list to get shit-canned
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6763|FUCK UBISOFT

welcome to the jungle
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6310|Pacific NW, USA
Awwwww wut!?    I go to Safeway deli sometimes for the chineese food.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6659|Amsterdam, NY

ig wrote:

SgtSlutter wrote:

djphetal wrote:

Safeway
ironic name is ironic
lol wut
nice name <3
i no rite?
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6730|Charlie One Alpha
I got paid to eat Chinese food once. My job rocks.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6020|...

LaidBackNinja wrote:

=O!

Why, a bet?
inane little opines
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6730|Charlie One Alpha

dayarath wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

=O!

Why, a bet?
No. We got done providing security and support at the annual Airborne-march (Airbornemars) and the organization was so happy with how we did that they decided to buy us all Chinese food. That also meant that we couldn't go home, so we got paid overtime to go to a Chinese restaurant.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2008-03-13 13:50:39)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6357|Oregon

PigPopTart wrote:

Awwwww wut!?    I go to Safeway deli sometimes for the chineese food.
You're from the Pacific NW... which Safeway do you shop at?
my store doesn't have a chinese kitchen... so it's not mine.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6474|The Twilight Zone
Phetal is a nice person. You did the right decision telling her that and staying at home. +1
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
kptk92
u
+972|6429|tc_london

djphetal wrote:

Jibbles wrote:

What store is it?
Safeway
Down
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6357|Oregon

.Sup wrote:

Phetal is a nice person. You did the right decision telling her that and staying at home. +1
Aw, thanks Sup.
I could have just tanked up on Tylenol and gone in, but I know I would never want to be served by someone who has the Flu...
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6474|The Twilight Zone

djphetal wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Aw, thanks Sup.
I could have just tanked up on Tylenol and gone in, but I know I would never want to be served by someone who has the Flu...
exactly
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5982|Washington DC
If she tells you to do it again the next time you're sick, tell her it's a load of malarkey and contact the Department of Health (or Ministry of Health as it were)
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6653

kptk92 wrote:

djphetal wrote:

Jibbles wrote:

What store is it?
Safeway
Down
Town?
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6694|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I suppose my job is totally differnent I do deal with customers, I employ 8, don't handle food but I'm not happy when my staff bugger off with FLU, I won't do it and neither should they.

There are two differn't FLU's mind, Man flu and Girly flu.

Did you have time off recently over the problems your brother had?  That you see, I have no problems with and would drive you home or to the hospital myself.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6677|UK
i work in catering, and we have to take SMALL exams (CANT FAIL THEM BASICALLY) to be able to work where i do, and if you have a cold, cough, or any sort of virus that can infect, your sent packing home  but with full pay

you are fully correct in your choice, she is just a smurf mate.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6670

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

If you'd know all the disgusting things that go on in the food processing industry you would be too scared to eat anything that wasn't homegrown.
This man speaketh the truth. That's probably the most hygienic story I've heard about the catering industry.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard