(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6800|Grapevine, TX

WashingtonAP wrote:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Ralph Nader said Sunday he will run for president as a third-party candidate, criticizing the top White House contenders as too close to big business and pledging to repeat a bid that will "shift the power from the few to the many."

Nader, 73, said most people are disenchanted with the Democratic and Republican parties due to a prolonged Iraq war and a shaky economy. The consumer advocate also blamed tax and other corporate-friendly policies under the Bush administration that he said have left many lower- and middle-class people in debt.

"You take that framework of people feeling locked out, shut out, marginalized and disrespected," he said. "You go from Iraq, to Palestine to Israel, from Enron to Wall Street, from Katrina to the bumbling of the Bush administration, to the complicity of the Democrats in not stopping him on the war, stopping him on the tax cuts."

"In that context, I have decided to run for president," Nader told NBC's "Meet the Press."

Nader also criticized Republican candidate John McCain and Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton for failing to support full Medicare for all or cracking down on Pentagon waste and a "bloated military budget. He blamed that on corporate lobbyists and special interests, which he said dominate Washington, D.C., and pledged in his third-party campaign to accept donations only from individuals.

"The issue is do they have the moral courage, do they have the fortitude to stand up to corporate powers and get things done for the American people," Nader said. "We have to shift the power from the few to the many."

Nader also ran as a third-party candidate in 2000 and 2004, and many Democrats still accuse him of costing Al Gore the 2000 election.
https://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//US_Nader_Candidacy.sff_WX101_20080224093505.jpg
I laughed out loud when I heard it on the news. Seriously I think he has some logic and hes been in the race before, but he's crazy to spend the money to do it. I actually agreed with Hillary's comment, "Obviously, it's not helpful to whomever our Democratic nominee is. But it's a free country." Wonder why it doesn't affect "Republican" voters. again. 

The next thing Hillary was the funniest thing of all, and I'm paraphrasing here, but she blames US for the problems we're in now because of Nader's campaign for office in 2000 & 2004. Going on she said Gore would have been the best President this country would ever have had!

So Indecision 2008 continues, GG Democrats its going to be an interesting race.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5932|Washington DC
lol...

why does he keep trying?

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-02-24 17:04:59)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6678|67.222.138.85
Oh come on, who didn't see this coming? The constants in life are death, taxes, and Nader running for presidency.
Ghandi767
+17|6593|Hanging in the Balance
Everyone say hello to President McCain. Damn, and I thought Obama might get it.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

To be fair to him, he makes a lot of good points. That said, I have no idea what his policies are, but I do know that he doesn't stand a chance. Having more 3rd party candidates run is a good thing though.
Flaming_Maniac

ghettoperson wrote:

To be fair to him, he makes a lot of good points. That said, I have no idea what his policies are, but I do know that he doesn't stand a chance. Having more 3rd party candidates run is a good thing for the Republican Party though.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6800|Grapevine, TX

HurricaИe wrote:

lol...

why does he keep trying?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Oh come on, who didn't see this coming? The constants in life are death, taxes, and Nader running for presidency.
Answer you question? !!!!!11!

ghettoperson wrote:

To be fair to him, he makes a lot of good points. That said, I have no idea what his policies are, but I do know that he doesn't stand a chance. Having more 3rd party candidates run is a good thing though.
I agree with some of his talking points, to a point. I agree it nice to hear some one talk straight, but all in all he's a nut.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

To be fair to him, he makes a lot of good points. That said, I have no idea what his policies are, but I do know that he doesn't stand a chance. Having more 3rd party candidates run is a good thing for the Republican Party though.
Oh right, would he pull most of the independent votes away from Obama?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
Naterd is a stain... but if he helps McCain win than that's cool...
Love is the answer
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6800|Grapevine, TX
You got it.
Ghandi767
He's well known for being very environment oriented and holding very liberal views on things. Essentially, its thought that anyone who votes for him would vote for the Democrat if he was not running. Its also been mathematically proven that assuming 75% of his votes in 2000 went to Gore, Gore would've won. For that reason, a lot of mainstream/top tier Democrats hold a grudge.
Flaming_Maniac

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Oh right, would he pull most of the independent votes away from Obama?
Yeah, if Nader didn't run probably 90% of his voters would have gone Democrat.

Honestly just about any third party candidate is going to take more votes away from the Democrats than the Republicans. If you think about it the demographics (old white rich people for Republicans, young hopeful people and minorities for Democrats) are just in favor of the Republicans as far as maintaining party loyalty.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5932|Washington DC
There's nothing wrong with him running, I just don't get why he does it election after election with no hope of ever winning
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

I'm shocked...no, wait. It was just gas.

This guy just has a giant self-induced ego-stroking session every four years.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Ghandi767

FEOS wrote:

I'm shocked...no, wait. It was just gas.

This guy just has a giant self-induced ego-stroking session every four years.
So an 'egorgasm' if you will?
IRONCHEF
+385|6462|Northern California

HurricaИe wrote:

There's nothing wrong with him running, I just don't get why he does it election after election with no hope of ever winning
He's not running to win, or to even stimulate dialog like he says, he was simply called up by the RNC and paid to run to help Republicans, period.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6615
Ralph Nader is my distant cousin.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6124|what

He's only 73 years old. Does he really think if  he gets elected, he'll stay for a full term. Or two?

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-02-24 20:22:23)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6800|Grapevine, TX

IRONCHEF wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

He's not running to win, or to even stimulate dialog like he says, he was simply called up by the RNC and paid to run to help Republicans, period.
Why does this not surprise me coming from you? The world may never know.
Dersmikner
+147|6469|Texas
His usefulness to the Republican Party as a vote stealer is diminishing with each attempt, but I am happy to see it nonetheless. Give em hell Ralph. Every vote for you is one we weren't getting anyway.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
I'll put it this way...  I'll be voting Nader if it's Hillary vs. McCain.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Nader needs to get a hobby ...
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6800|Grapevine, TX

Turquoise wrote:

I'll put it this way...  I'll be voting Nader if it's Hillary vs. McCain.
I think I will , too. We need another "party" to choose from...
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439

Stingray24 wrote:

Nader needs to get a hobby ...
Running for president is his hobby.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6615
I hope he wins

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard