SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6564|Mountains of NC

NEW YORK —  A man was charged with withdrawing $2 million from an account after a bank confused him with a man who has the same name.

"He says he was told it was his and he could withdraw the money." - Ok he was told it was his, he said it wasn't his ( even though he DIDN'T have to take it)

if you were in this situation, what would you have done ?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6323

I wouldn't have read the article.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6148|what

What do you charge him with, over drawing on his account?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6704|England. Stoke

TheAussieReaper wrote:

What do you charge him with, over drawing on his account?
Not his account, so fraud...
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6637|Minnesota
I f somebody tells you that it's your money ,  wouldn't you withdraw it?

Last edited by viper313 (2008-02-20 18:05:07)

emumano101
+7|6527|um my dads house
well i got to alska and live like king LOL
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

emumano101 wrote:

get ouf og the kitchn
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6215|Phoenix, AZ

viper313 wrote:

if they insist its mine, fuck id withdraw a couple million too!

Throw some at charity, give some to the parents, and probably but an alienware for everyone on BF2s (hrm like 10000x100 = 1,000,000)

id be pissed at being arrested, its the fucking banks fault...
<SharpShot>
chronic gamer
+17|6315|Canadia
id hide it in my offshore account so they cant take it back
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

viper313 wrote:

Yeah, because I do what everyone tells me.

It's fraud because he knew there was no way it was his, and that the bank made an error.
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

viper313 wrote:

It's fraud because he knew there was no way it was his, and that the bank made an error.
HOw the fuck is it fraud? he Told the bank it wasn't his and they inisisted it was! So he withdrew what he was told was his money. If anyone should be charged it should be the bank with incompetence
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6704|England. Stoke

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

viper313 wrote:

QFT
It's like if you suddenly find that you have extra money if your account which you know shouldn't be there and you spend it, you are committing fraud.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

viper313 wrote:

HOw the fuck is it fraud? he Told the bank it wasn't his and they inisisted it was! So he withdrew what he was told was his money. If anyone should be charged it should be the bank with incompetence
Gotta agree with bennis on this one.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

viper313 wrote:

The bank should be charged with negligence for it's failure to properly I.D. the man to the account.
The legal definition
A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.
Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements:
(1) a false statement of a material fact; Withdrawal of money that wasn't his.
(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue; He admitted the money wasn't his.
(3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim; Ok, it is my money, give it to me.
(4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement; The fact that he withdrew money is enough reliance.
(5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.The real Ben lost $2 million dollars.

Fraud as an idea - intentional misrepresentation of fact for personal gain.

So why wouldn't it be fraud?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-02-20 18:35:26)

lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6825|Denver colorado

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

emumano101 wrote:

get ouf og the kitchn
agred. this is load of markalaralakaakalalkalaakaa
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6128|Scotland!

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

viper313 wrote:

I don't see where it says that? Show me where it says that he told the bank it wasn't his and they insisted it was.
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland

I'm Jamesey wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I don't see where it says that? Show me where it says that he told the bank it wasn't his and they insisted it was.
""He says he was told it was his and he could withdraw the money." - Ok he was told it was his, he said it wasn't his"
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

Bank should be charged for it. He told them it wasn't his, they said otherwise. Had he not said anything and just taken it then I'd agree with him being charged. That said, it's pretty stupid of him to do so, but I wouldn't say criminally stupid.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6128|Scotland!

bennisboy wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

""He says he was told it was his and he could withdraw the money." - Ok he was told it was his, he said it wasn't his"
Again, the news report said that he said he told them it wasn't his, this doesn't make that statement a fact, they would print that if he was lying or not so that people would get all up themselves and go off on a tangent, much like you did. It's impossible to judge what happened and who should be charged with what from a short peice of text on a news website.
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland

I'm Jamesey wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

Again, the news report said that he said he told them it wasn't his, this doesn't make that statement a fact, they would print that if he was lying or not so that people would get all up themselves and go off on a tangent, much like you did. It's impossible to judge what happened and who should be charged with what from a short peice of text on a news website.
Erm I'm not going off on a tangent. Its all to do with him being charged.
We can only go by what we have been told, and we have been told he said it wasn't his. Its all relevant
Bernadictus
+1,055|6732

It's like being a weapons manufacturer, and getting sued by victims of your gun.

Serious stuff, American law.

Here we would have slapped the bank corporation, and all would have been fine. No troubles what so ever.
No, the mighty US of A goes on a lawsuit spree.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6635|Your moms bedroom
lol, im pretty sure if someone handed me 5 million i couldnt have used it AND LOST IT in a little over a year
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6651|UK
i would have charged the bank £35 for me having to send them letters saying it was not mine. just like they do if you go overdrawn, so after a year they would owe me £12.775, not millions but its legit

OR took out 2 million and buggerd of to a country with non extradition rights
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

SEREMAKER wrote:

I would have left it alone.  It's not mine, and I would know it.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6645|Washington DC

SEREMAKER wrote:

He was probably told "it was his" by some minimum wage teller.  I would have continued to escalate the matter until the mistake was properly handled. 

I would NEVER have spent it.  Yes, this is an ethical stance, but I also know that it is illegal to steal money, even if it was mistakenly "placed" in my account.  Contrary to some of the other comments here, but it is rather ignorant to assume that this money was his.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard