blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647
Have you ever arrived somewhere and wondered how you got there? Scientists at the University of Leeds believe they may have found the answer, with research that shows that humans flock like sheep and birds, subconsciously following a minority of individuals.

Results from a study at the University of Leeds show that it takes a minority of just five per cent to influence a crowd's direction – and that the other 95 per cent follow without realising it. Professor Jens KrauseProfessor Krause, with PhD student John Dyer, conducted a series of experiments where groups of people were asked to walk randomly around a large hall. Within the group, a select few received more detailed information about where to walk. Participants were not allowed to communicate with one another but had to stay within arms length of another person.

he findings show that in all cases, the 'informed individuals' were followed by others in the crowd, forming a self-organising, snake-like structure. "We've all been in situations where we get swept along by the crowd," says Professor Krause. "But what's interesting about this research is that our participants ended up making a consensus decision despite the fact that they weren't allowed to talk or gesture to one another. In most cases the participants didn't realise they were being led by others."

Other experiments in the study used groups of different sizes, with different ratios of 'informed individuals'. The research findings show that as the number of people in a crowd increases, the number of informed individuals decreases. In large crowds of 200 or more, five per cent of the group is enough to influence the direction in which it travels. The research also looked at different scenarios for the location of the 'informed individuals' to determine whether where they were located had a bearing on the time it took for the crowd to follow. "We initially started looking at consensus decision making in humans because we were interested in animal migration, particularly birds, where it can be difficult to identify the leaders of a flock," says Professor Krause. "But it just goes to show that there are strong parallels between animal grouping behaviour and human crowds."

This research was funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and was a collaborative study involving the Universities of Oxford and Wales Bangor.

http://www.brainmysteries.com/research/ … tality.asp
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6831|Grapevine, TX
I'm one of the 5%, you're a bunch of cows. Moo.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

I'm one of the 5%, you're a bunch of cows. Moo.
you'r a wolf in a sheep clothing
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6831|Grapevine, TX
Good article and a uni research project that, actually, brought something interesting to the human conscience.

Now Im hungry, cow sounds good. No this wont hurt a bit my bovine friend.   Mummm beef. Anyone for some Meat Cake?
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten
Meat Cake? Hell yea!

But seriously... that's kinda scary/not surprising.
EE (hats
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Duh? Good to know professors are being paid top-dollar to research things that are inherently obvious.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Duh? Good to know professors are being paid top-dollar to research things that are inherently obvious.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6465|meh-land
If you are instructed just walk around randomly, humans in incapable of doing anything randomly...

doing something as randomly as possible would require a lot of concentration, and if you aren't told specifically what to do you will attempt to bring order to randomness

someone who appears to have more order will attract those without order because they want to share in this order, even if they don't know the source...

so yeah, thanks for revealing the obvious scientists
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

Blehm98 wrote:

If you are instructed just walk around randomly, humans in incapable of doing anything randomly...

doing something as randomly as possible would require a lot of concentration, and if you aren't told specifically what to do you will attempt to bring order to randomness

someone who appears to have more order will attract those without order because they want to share in this order, even if they don't know the source...

Insightful. 

Science investigates these things because they are important to understand.  Maybe not to you, but they are.  Academia is supposed to be a place where research is done on interesting things for the sake of understanding these interesting things.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6465|meh-land

SenorToenails wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

Insightful. 

Science investigates these things because they are important to understand.  Maybe not to you, but they are.  Academia is supposed to be a place where research is done on interesting things for the sake of understanding these interesting things.
I kind of doubt that was all they did, maybe just part of a larger experiment, which just makes it seem stupid when that's all the article says
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85

SenorToenails wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

Insightful. 

Understanding what? Humans are sheep? (not literally, you know what I mean)
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
I get it - Univ. of Leeds, follows
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6623|Gold coast, Aus.
Wow, I didn't know that. I just guessed everyone decided to like a certain fashion at the same time by coincidence. Thanks for clearing that up genius's.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard