TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
Oh boy...
The open wheel influx continues...

Nelson Piquet, Jr.
Jarno Trulli
Mika Salo

All current F1 drivers (some more active than others).  Piquet Jr. will be testing a truck for Red Horse racing, Trulli and Salo will be testing for MWR in a Cup car.
This is freaky hehe, Juan Pablo comes from F1 and its like he has opened up the flood gates.
I dont see any lasting spots for these guys.  I mean, think about Max Papis.  Great driver he is, successfull where he comes from, but yet, he has no success in Cup...or Francitti, again a great driver, very successfull in IRL, but cant take the Cup series.
Imo, bringing these guys for a test is a waste of time and money, for none of the above mentioned 3 have had any success to speak of in F1, and probably never will.
With that said, Kudo's to Juan Pablo for getting it done.

Time will tell, but I see this as a joke.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Never heard of a Mika Salo. I thought you just made a mistake and meant Takuma Sato (Japan), he was one of my favourite F1 drivers, the guy was crazy. He did alot of funny crazy shit in the races. Well he wasn't exactly good cos of that, but it was entertaining.

It's not like they need success in F1 to qualify for NASCAR. They'd be much better and well established than most other drivers to start a career with. Trulli won the Monaco GP in 2005 (or 2004), these guys know how to drive.

Piquet Jr would be interesting, the guy that deliberately crashed. Dunno how much attention all of that got over in the states, whether people would be comfortable having him as their driver.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6633

Didn't Salo drive for Ferrari?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker
What an idiot ... who races a Lambo against a Cayenne that's 4 years older?   That's like a Vette against an Uplander.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne … eId=158828

Last edited by Stingray24 (2009-10-09 17:00:30)

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Mekstizzle wrote:

Never heard of a Mika Salo. I thought you just made a mistake and meant Takuma Sato (Japan), he was one of my favourite F1 drivers, the guy was crazy. He did alot of funny crazy shit in the races. Well he wasn't exactly good cos of that, but it was entertaining.

It's not like they need success in F1 to qualify for NASCAR. They'd be much better and well established than most other drivers to start a career with. Trulli won the Monaco GP in 2005 (or 2004), these guys know how to drive.

Piquet Jr would be interesting, the guy that deliberately crashed. Dunno how much attention all of that got over in the states, whether people would be comfortable having him as their driver.
Mek, I never implied that an F1 driver needed success to try NASCAR...but lets face it, if you cant drive and win in F1, you *most likely* wont be worth a shit in a Cup car.  F1 is FAR more difficult than Cup.
On the article stateing the tests...why in the hell I didnt quote the link when I posted that is beyond me, I never do that...but oh well.  I at first thought it was Sato, but I re-read it and it was in fact Salo...Mika Salo...I had'nt heard that name in many years...I figured the guy had gone on to other things, but I suppose I was mistaken *gasp* hehe.

Still, imo, its a waste of money and track time.

California atm...the 48 and the 42 seem to be the class of the field atm, but if the 48's crew does'nt quit fucking up, this might just be JPM's first oval win.

update later...
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
NASCAR Hall of Fame first 5 inductees...

Bill France
Bill France Jr.
Richard Petty
Dale Earnhardt
Junior Johnson

hmm...
Does anyone else have a problem with both of the France gents being on the same first year ballot?  I certainly do.  I have no problem with both getting in the Hall...but not in the same year.

My votes were:
Dale Earnhardt
Richard Petty
Bill France
Junior Johnson
Rick Hendrick

What say you gents?  What were your votes?
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6419|Florida

TC.Troy wrote:

NASCAR Hall of Fame first 5 inductees...

Bill France
Bill France Jr.
Richard Petty
Dale Earnhardt
Junior Johnson

hmm...
Does anyone else have a problem with both of the France gents being on the same first year ballot?  I certainly do.  I have no problem with both getting in the Hall...but not in the same year.

My votes were:
Dale Earnhardt
Richard Petty
Bill France
Junior Johnson
Rick Hendrick

What say you gents?  What were your votes?
I have no problem with both France's getting voted in at the same time. My reason is first off "Big" Bill founded NASCAR....nuf said about that. Bill Jr was the one who got Winston to sponser the Cup series thereby bringing lots of $$ to the sport and TV interest. If it weren't his initiative NASCAR would not be as popular as it is today. I dissagree with your last candidate into the hall. I respect and admire Rick Hendrick and think he is worthy to be there, but not yet. There are too many other people who deserve the honor before him, ie: David Pearson, check out his stats
Stingray24
Wow, the 48 is rollin
Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6193|14072
Yeah he was

I love the 48
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
The 48 wins...max points...yet again...Mark is 90 points out, the next best driver is better than 100 points out.  Talledega is yet to come...wild card it is...unknown is it...
Martinsville is soon...Jimmie has been very, very good there...

The points will tell the tale...I WILL NOT hand the trophy to the 48 just yet, but its looking like its gonna be 4 straight.  Never been done before...
Take note gents...Jimmie is a force to be reconded with.

I am a big fan of Chad Knaus, and trust me...without Chad, Jimmie would NOT do what he does.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Runs_with_sciss0rs wrote:

Yeah he was

I love the 48
Love the 48 too...
although, he and Chad had to show me skill, determination, and longevity.  Chad is THE MAN...no doubt about it.  Jimmie is a VERY technical driver, and gives good feed-back, but if it were'nt for Chad and that team, Jimmie would'nt be shit.  No doubt in my mind.

GO 48!!!!
Stingray24
Boooo, smaller restrictor plates for 'Dega.  How bout taking them off so they can use their full power and actually pass each other. 

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlin … index.html
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
Talladega TIme!!
Let the 200mph chess match begin!

in other news...

Steve Addington out as crew chief on the 18 (Kyle may now whine about something else...maybe)

AJ Allmendinger arrested on DUI charges wednesday night.  He blew a .08...this simply demonstrates to me that he really should be driving for Red Bull, not Richard Petty.

Did I mention it was Talladega?  hehehe  Been waiting on this race...its gonna be awesome.
Stingray24
No Nationwide at 'Dega?  Wth?!?!?!
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Stingray24 wrote:

No Nationwide at 'Dega?  Wth?!?!?!
'fraid not cat.  Has'nt been a Nationwide race at 'dega in forever...if ever...it's early, so my memory is'nt really up to snuff.  However...if memory serves, the reason there is no race is due to the speeds.  Most Nationwide drivers have barely gotten approoval to run Daytona.  Along with that, the costs of having multiple speedway cars really doesnt gel with the sort of policy NASCAR tries to keep for that series (low cost, less travel etc etc...its all debatable imo).
Oddly enough, they do run the trucks at 'dega, but those guys have a pretty limited schedule anyway, and one truck is much like another, they are hugely aero dependant, so running at Daytona, or Talledega is six-o-one...half dozen of the other.

Seen the new Nationwide cars btw?  The Mustang and the Challenger are very nice...too bad chevy could see fit to use the Camaro...big mistake imo.
Link to photo's:http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/pgStory?contentId=10301258#sport=NASCAR&photo=10301178
Stingray24
The new Challenger for Nationwide looks pretty mean.  Perhaps Chevy will change their mind if there's a big fan response to the other cars.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
This is a damned joke.
NASCAR has ruined this race.

Why dont they just put remote controls on the cars and a good GPS unit...let the drivers take the F^c&i# weekend off...
what a damned piss-off...

Bah!!

Post race:
What a damned dud...
JJ's point lead is now 187 over Mark.
Tbh, Jimmie got this one handed to him today.  He wasnt looking like he'd have a top 10...not until everone started running out of gas...then that wreck at the end, gathering up Mark, Jeff and Juan.
Ah well, at Dega, sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

Texas next week...

I hope NASCAR's inbox is filling with hate mail atm.

Last edited by TC.Troy (2009-11-01 14:19:10)

Stingray24
I say take off the plates and let em use their right foot, baby!  Waaaaaaaaaaap!  Then drivers will have the power to pass on their own and it'll no longer be the freight train contest it has become.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Stingray24 wrote:

I say take off the plates and let em use their right foot, baby!  Waaaaaaaaaaap!  Then drivers will have the power to pass on their own and it'll no longer be the freight train contest it has become.
Yeah, not only that, but it'll be like Dale sr. commented..."lets see who has the balls to run wide open, and who doesnt."
Mekstizzle
WALKER
What happened? And how is it all NASCAR's fault if people run out of petrol or have accidents?

But yeah, to be honest, I'd say NASCAR is going down a worse route than even F1 in terms of being gay with rules.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-11-02 15:54:31)

Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6193|14072
Pretty much NASCAR made them use small restrictor plates and told them they weren't allowed to bump draft in the corners because they were afraid of them causing wrecks. So basically everybody was single file the whole race and there was no action because they were afraid they would get penalized.

I didn't watch the last 60 laps because I had to go to work, so I don't know if the action got better
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Mekstizzle wrote:

What happened? And how is it all NASCAR's fault if people run out of petrol or have accidents?

But yeah, to be honest, I'd say NASCAR is going down a worse route than even F1 in terms of being gay with rules.
Well, certainly it isnt NASCAR's fault if a car runs dry on fuel.  However, what people are blaming NASCAR for is the distinct lack of cometition during sundays race. 
Before I go on explaining this, let me preface for a sec.  For a long time, NASCAR has warned drivers not to bump-draft in the corners...it happens anyway.  With the current plate, and aero configuration, bump-drafting is about the only way to pass.  Two cars can hook up nose to tail and run far faster than 1 car, or 10 cars...its all about the power to drag ratio...so the drivers like to snuggle the front and rear bumpers all the way around.  You just about have to if you want to go anywhere.  Next point of contention; this current car was designed so that the front and rear bumpers would line up.  Keeping the car in the rear from jacking the rear wheels of the car in front off of the ground.  Thus, making bump drafting a bit less problematic.  Not that you cant jack the guy in front up, or turn him around, but it certainly makes it less likely.

Now, on with the issues of sunday. 
This all began on friday during first practice.  Several cars hooked up, nose to tail and were screaming around the track.  Normal stuff at this track.  Teams have even begun setting the cars up to push another car, or pull another car better.  During practice, NASCAR informed the teams that they wanted to see daylight between bumpers, and they didnt want to see any 2 car hook-ups.  Well, it happened anyway.  During second practice, the 55 and the 48 hooked up and NASCAR parked the 55.  Imo, he was singled out, for many other drivers were doing it.

So...during the pre-race drivers meeting (about an hour-ish before the race) NASCAR informs the teams that bump drafting thru the corners would be penalized.  Exactly how they were to police this was unknown, and not shared with the teams.  So what we got when the green flag flew was maybe 10 laps of 3-4 wide racing, then everyone lined up single file and just rode around...lap, after lap, after lap...
See where this is going?  A 43 car train at 200mph is a no-brainer, and simply a snoozer to watch.  The only real action comming during green flag pit-stops (whoopty-fuckin-dooo).

In the end, what we got was 2.5-3 hours of sheer boredom, and when the drivers could bump-draft down the straights, guys were pounding on each other...bumping far too hard.  They had to...they had to make time when they could on the staraights because in the corners, they had to back off and it killed to speed of the cars.

Long read...but thats pretty much the gist of the day.  NASCAR killed the race with the last minute threat of a penalty.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
But surely if they were allowed to bump on the straights at least that was where things were interesting. I didn't watch the race. I dunno. I think NASCAR are doing an even worse job at trying to have more overtaking than F1. With 2009 F1 tried to change the rules to induce more overtaking with less emphasis on aero downforce grip and more on tyre mechanical grip. But they screwed up with the whole Diffuser fiasco.

But with NASCAR and this "Car of Tomorrow" shit, where NASCAR has gone from "Stock" racing to what is essentially a single spec racing series far more stringent than F1. Then throw in gay safety rules and restrictor plates etc... And yeah, I can see why races like this are so lame.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574

Mekstizzle wrote:

But surely if they were allowed to bump on the straights at least that was where things were interesting. I didn't watch the race. I dunno. I think NASCAR are doing an even worse job at trying to have more overtaking than F1. With 2009 F1 tried to change the rules to induce more overtaking with less emphasis on aero downforce grip and more on tyre mechanical grip. But they screwed up with the whole Diffuser fiasco.

But with NASCAR and this "Car of Tomorrow" shit, where NASCAR has gone from "Stock" racing to what is essentially a single spec racing series far more stringent than F1. Then throw in gay safety rules and restrictor plates etc... And yeah, I can see why races like this are so lame.
Yeah, you'd think.  But what actually happened was, everone lined up single file and rode around.  Very little, if any bump drafting even on the straights...and this went on for the vast majority of the race. 

In short, it was pathetic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard