OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6660|Washington DC

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Have these questions been asked:

WHY exactly do we HAVE to close THIS forum?

I mean, its much more popular. Why don't you leave it open for those of us who don't want to leave? I know a lot of us are proud of our status here, and its great to have everybody around.

But WHY does this forum have to be closed? If the this site is still gonna be hosted, why can't you leave the forums open for those who want to stay and post?

Is it because you want an influx of people to your new site? (These questions directed entirely to Jeff, nobody else.)

Is it because you will have to be paying for the hosting of the new site completely and can't afford to pay for, and administer two websites, or will EA/Dice cover it?

Can 'Gibson' not store all the data for both sites, or can it not work like that?

If you ignore all those questions then at least answer us this: Why does this forum have to be closed from posting?
I agree with alot of that.  I would imagine it is alot of work to keep BF2s running smooth, and having another site would double the work load.

The thing I am having trouble getting over is, why do we need a new site?   Isn't BF2s the community which we are in?  Sure the game is getting older, and maybe there is less active members, but this forum started with BF2, it's why we're all here.  It's like closing a forum on fishing, just because a new method of fishing came along.

So what if it's getting old?  So what if the name is dated?  I don't see why it matters.  Why does this site have to go down just to market a new fresh name to people who aren't even members of THIS forum.  I guess the same people will be there, and a site is just a site, I've voiced my conerns once already, but I still don't get it, totally.

At very very least, i'd hope there would be a section of the forums for BF2s alumni,  acessible to anyone at all sure, but a homebase to get away from the wave of outsiders *gasp* coming to the new forum goers.

Will Trackr be ad supported?

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... we are just upgrading the software so that we can add features, and at the same time changing the URL.

Once again, in case for some reason you can't see Orange:

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... punBB is severely limited with what it can do, and there are many features that we just cannot add with punBB, so the underlying software needs to change from punBB.

And, if, for some reason you cannot see Cyan and Orange, I'll use a gay color:

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... the same forums, the same members (though we might have to go through a re-registration), but over a DOZEN new features for the community all possible because of the new forum software ... plus the site will allow for more games to be featured.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660

Poseidon wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

ATG wrote:

So, the vets will be stripped of rank, posts, and days registered.

Brilliant.
You're the only who has the balls to say it

I agree with you ATG +1.

It's not so much that we'll be stripped of our "rank" but it's a mission having to build up the ounce of respect we had before..
I don't get it. Karma and registration date means respect? The NAME means respect. You think people won't read ATG's posts just as much compared to someone like SergioBennetIII's posts just because they have similar registration dates? I doubt it. If someone sees a name they remember from BF2s, they're going to think of them just the same.
I never said karma and registration means respect at all, you completely misunderstood my point..In fact, I hate the concept of karma which I've voiced on many occasions...but still

Trackr will basically be a whole new redesigned website compared to bf2s? Yes?
It will be attracting different audiences, i.e. people from different gaming communities? Yes?

ATG as well as myself have been registered/visiting these forums for a long time and, tbh, I for one can say I feel "at home" here. Although starting up a new forum with a brand new concept is exciting, it also will seem a little strange because, as I said, I won't feel like Teddyjimmy. I'll feel more like some new guy when really I'm not. It's a matter of opinion so don't judge.

That said, I'm highly welcome to change although I may sound a little skeptical. All it'll take is a couple weeks and I'm sure Trackr will blossom the same way bf2s did if the peeps join and help create what will be left behind. GG Chuy

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2008-02-08 13:48:30)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660

rdx-fx wrote:

In case you missed OrangeHound's post (it was over 7 lines.. I think that qualifies as "wall of text" to the ADHD/ADD set here)..

trackr is the same site, different name, more features, less reference to a game noone plays anymore

If it's really an important issue to the current community, I'm sure there is a way that Chuy could import the registration names, passwords, karma counts, days-wasted-here,et al.  Whether or not he does, is another question.
Why are quoting OH again...
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660

rdx-fx wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

In case you missed OrangeHound's post (it was over 7 lines.. I think that qualifies as "wall of text" to the ADHD/ADD set here)..

trackr is the same site, different name, more features, less reference to a game noone plays anymore

If it's really an important issue to the current community, I'm sure there is a way that Chuy could import the registration names, passwords, karma counts, days-wasted-here,et al.  Whether or not he does, is another question.
Why are quoting OH again...
regressive quoting of a regressive quote of a reiteration of an interpretation of the OP by chuy.  Just continuing the chain.

Edit: and, it gave me an opportunity to poke a stick at those people who are too lazy to read anything longer than a single line.
They remind me of baby bird chicklets that must have their food pre-digested and vomited into their crying mouths.
Fair enough..

Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6143|Carnoustie, Scotland
Well put Teddy.

Shame that BF2s is going down the shitter, but I'm phsyc'd for Trackr. It's just going to suck not selecting BF2s from my faves, but I can see why Chuy wants to make the move and in the end it will benefit the whole community. Plus, I played a round of BF2 tonight and realised just how out dated it really is, since I've been playing COD4 and watching Crysis on my brothers PC.

BF2 had a great run of several years, but it's time to lay it down, and see that it shall never be a classic (such as CS:S or WoW - both geeky games but played constantly despite their bad graphics and such.) I think part of the reason BF2 died so quickly was the lack of the 1.5 patch, but that's EA for you.

GG, BF2.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6548|Long Island, New York

Mitch wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

You're the only who has the balls to say it

I agree with you ATG +1.

It's not so much that we'll be stripped of our "rank" but it's a mission having to build up the ounce of respect we had before..
I don't get it. Karma and registration date means respect? The NAME means respect. You think people won't read ATG's posts just as much compared to someone like SergioBennetIII's posts just because they have similar registration dates? I doubt it. If someone sees a name they remember from BF2s, they're going to think of them just the same.
Yes.
In a way, karma does mean respect.
*gasp*
I look at karma when im trying to judge if a person is a newb or not, alotta people do. that and registry date, but if i see someone who registered 900 days ago but has 20 karma im gunna know he doesnt have much experience posting on the forums.
And anyone with a high karma count will tell you that its a good thing to have. While the name does carry a lot of the respect, the name doesnt gain as much respect with a low karma count. thats just how it is.
Now ATG for example has been registered 3 days longer yet he has 5 times the karma as me, that shows deffinet liking, and i agree completely with him about how it will suck for him to lose that. He's one of the most well known people on this forum, and i dont blame him for not wanting to go back to a 'nobody' on a new forum.

I think Chuy should address this if he expects loyalty
If someone needs to gain respect via karma, they deserve none. Karma's a gimmick and nothing more.

Hurricane had his main account banned. And look, everyone still reads his posts the same way they did on his old account with 1000+ karma. When you see ATG's posts, will you not pay attention as much simply because you don't see the little "2,500" in green lettering? Of course not.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command
To the site admin, with all due respect;

You say you don't want there to be elitist on the new site. It's your deal, do with it as you will.

But, imo, it is elitism on your part to not see the value we long time and regular users place in such " meaningless " things as posts counts, time here, karmas...

Sure the site will go on. Maybe for the better, who can say.

Not everyone will be joining you there, as demonstrated by some of the posts in this thread.

Kind of elitist of you not to care, one might say.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

ATG wrote:

Good point also.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6339

OrangeHound wrote:

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... we are just upgrading the software so that we can add features, and at the same time changing the URL.

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... punBB is severely limited with what it can do, and there are many features that we just cannot add with punBB, so the underlying software needs to change from punBB.

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?  IT IS THE SAME SITE .... the same forums, the same members (though we might have to go through a re-registration), but over a DOZEN new features for the community all possible because of the new forum software ... plus the site will allow for more games to be featured.
Ya BUT why does this forum have to be closed from posting?

Why does this forum have to be closed from posting?

Since some of us are having the urge of copying each other i thought I'd join in also

ATG wrote:

Although who says he doesn't care? I guess its been established karma will be out for the new site, but he might do us all a favor and create some method for displaying a persons status from the old site? If not, well then like it says in the our Constitution, all men are created equal.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5972|Washington DC
The only thing I don't like about this is that I don't want to go in the forums and have it infested with newfies who think they run the lay of the land. Some users here have been here since the start, others have been here for a long while. Believe it or not some of us do take our "e-cred"... not SERIOUSLY but it's somewhat important to us.

I know all the BF2s vets will recognize me, but I would rather not have some newbie who doesn't even know what BF2 is start disrespecting users who have been here for what feels like forever.

Same with the IRC. It's like our little hang-out... now it's gonna be gone, reset, done.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

HurricaИe wrote:

I know all the BF2s vets will recognize me
Better recognize foo!
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6660|Washington DC

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Since some of us are having the urge of copying each other i thought I'd join in also
You know, I thought I was supposed to be the Old Fart on these forums, and the Old Farts are the ones who don't like change.  Can you guys not "e-think" ... forums are just contemporary venues for posting.   The forums will still be up and running, just running on a different software platform. 

Your problem is that because you haven't seen the trackr software, you somehow fear that something will be missing. 

Well, I've seen it.  Believe it or not, there will still be forums ...
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6650
I want to be recognized. I don't want some newfag coming in and acting like he runs the place. There needs to be some sort of veterans system.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6717|67.222.138.85

ThaReaper wrote:

I want to be recognized. I don't want some newfag coming in and acting like he runs the place. There needs to be some sort of veterans system.
Yeah, no. You pretty much expressed why there is no way there will ever be some sort of vet status on trackr and what is wrong with a lot of the attitudes on this site.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

This has been discussed... Moving on..... (The Veteran thing)

Last edited by tazz. (2008-02-08 22:16:28)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6390|MN

HurricaИe wrote:

The only thing I don't like about this is that I don't want to go in the forums and have it infested with newfies who think they run the lay of the land. Some users here have been here since the start, others have been here for a long while. Believe it or not some of us do take our "e-cred"... not SERIOUSLY but it's somewhat important to us.

I know all the BF2s vets will recognize me, but I would rather not have some newbie who doesn't even know what BF2 is start disrespecting users who have been here for what feels like forever.

Same with the IRC. It's like our little hang-out... now it's gonna be gone, reset, done.
If you think you deserve respect for being around for a while, then join the military (inside joke for vets).  A persons respect will be gained by what you post.  If someone starts respecting you just because you have a high post count, karma, logo, or whatever, then they are stupid.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

You people put way too much value into your little "e status." trackr is nothing but heaps improvements over bf2s in every way possible. A completely new and improved wiki spanning tons of games, news articles, downloads, events...just to name a few. If all you care about is your karma number and days registered then that's pretty sad. I am more than willing to give up my 2 years of registration here to help be a part of something with as much potential as trackr.

If you've really made friends here as most of us have, you'll still know each other when the site switches. The same people will still remember you  for who you are, not for a little number.

[edit] Also, no one is forcing you to pay for registration... this is Jeff's site and I don't think it is anyone's place to call into question what he does with it.

Last edited by OmniDeath (2008-02-08 22:32:13)

RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6454|California
yea, so i have a question, will we still be able to check our stats after BF2s.com is closed? Cause I still play BF2 and this is still the best stats site.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6490|Somewhere else

To quote again:

chuyskywalker wrote:

This is actually a point that will need to be touched on -- the forums are going to be ... disappointing ... compared to here. For starters, Drupal's built in forum solution is pretty mediocre. I've managed to spiff it up a bit, but not just to get it functionally right. Combine that fact with the other fact that I have hacked the living daylights out of Pun for this site, and there's a noticeable gap.
And I went over this.  The forums are going to be ... Dissapointing ... CAMPARED TO HERE = NOT THE SAME.  Aparently, i wasn't the one that wasn't reading.

Different name, different user interface, different look, no karma (which is nice just ofr the sake of saying "hey man nice post" screw the over all count)  I'd say it's a different site altogether.

Can we not have concerns or issues?  Is this not the thread to voice them?  And we HAVE asked questions, only to get a belittling response in multiple colors.   Maybe we're being redundant, we're just trying to make sense of what doesn't to us.

ATG wrote:

To the site admin, with all due respect;

You say you don't want there to be elitist on the new site. It's your deal, do with it as you will.

But, imo, it is elitism on your part to not see the value we long time and regular users place in such " meaningless " things as posts counts, time here, karmas...

Sure the site will go on. Maybe for the better, who can say.

Not everyone will be joining you there, as demonstrated by some of the posts in this thread.

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Trackr will basically be a whole new redesigned website compared to bf2s? Yes?
It will be attracting different audiences, i.e. people from different gaming communities? Yes?

Although starting up a new forum with a brand new concept is exciting, it also will seem a little strange because, as I said, I won't feel like Teddyjimmy. I'll feel more like some new guy when really I'm not. It's a matter of opinion so don't judge.

That said, I'm highly welcome to change although I may sound a little skeptical. All it'll take is a couple weeks and I'm sure Trackr will blossom the same way bf2s did if the peeps join and help create what will be left behind. GG Chuy
Agreed.

OrangeHound wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

You know, I thought I was supposed to be the Old Fart on these forums, and the Old Farts are the ones who don't like change.  Can you guys not "e-think" ... forums are just contemporary venues for posting.   The forums will still be up and running, just running on a different software platform. 

Your problem is that because you haven't seen the trackr software, you somehow fear that something will be missing. 

Well, I've seen it.  Believe it or not, there will still be forums ...
Just different, but the same.

It really isn't a big deal to me. I just don't see the point.  Yes yes yes yes, I've read the posts,  but TO ME.... don't see it.  Maybe Orange you've taken me too seriously.  My question are not joking around, but are in an incredibly light hearted tone.  Impossible to convey through text I guess.  You being a Moderator, seeing the new site, know more, and from what we've read, some things we DO LIKE will be gone.  How is that the same?  The reason alot of people are regulars, is the feel, the sentiment maybe I guess.

Well, I'm certainly done asking.
EDIT: Sorry to all the hard workers on Trackr, I'm sure its gonna be cool.  Don't mean to shit on ideas, just trying to ask about.  Due Respect to all.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-02-08 23:02:07)

some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6401

OrangeHound wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Have these questions been asked:

WHY exactly do we HAVE to close THIS forum?

I mean, its much more popular. Why don't you leave it open for those of us who don't want to leave? I know a lot of us are proud of our status here, and its great to have everybody around.

But WHY does this forum have to be closed? If the this site is still gonna be hosted, why can't you leave the forums open for those who want to stay and post?

Is it because you want an influx of people to your new site? (These questions directed entirely to Jeff, nobody else.)

Is it because you will have to be paying for the hosting of the new site completely and can't afford to pay for, and administer two websites, or will EA/Dice cover it?

Can 'Gibson' not store all the data for both sites, or can it not work like that?

If you ignore all those questions then at least answer us this: Why does this forum have to be closed from posting?
I agree with alot of that.  I would imagine it is alot of work to keep BF2s running smooth, and having another site would double the work load.

The thing I am having trouble getting over is, why do we need a new site?   Isn't BF2s the community which we are in?  Sure the game is getting older, and maybe there is less active members, but this forum started with BF2, it's why we're all here.  It's like closing a forum on fishing, just because a new method of fishing came along.

So what if it's getting old?  So what if the name is dated?  I don't see why it matters.  Why does this site have to go down just to market a new fresh name to people who aren't even members of THIS forum.  I guess the same people will be there, and a site is just a site, I've voiced my conerns once already, but I still don't get it, totally.

At very very least, i'd hope there would be a section of the forums for BF2s alumni,  acessible to anyone at all sure, but a homebase to get away from the wave of outsiders *gasp* coming to the new forum goers.

Will Trackr be ad supported?

Hmm...Why is there a massive gap between the smiley and the statement?  It's like there's invisible text there.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2008-02-08 23:01:02)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

Just so I understand since I have not read all 20 pages.

You have to pay correct?

You want me to pay and that is fine.  However, will the same mod rules apply?  I do not think I would pay if I can be banned.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-02-08 23:34:30)

Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6339

usmarine wrote:

You have to pay correct?

You want me to pay and that is fine.  However, will the same mod rules apply?  I do not think I would pay if I can be banned.
Wait wat?
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

Im_Dooomed wrote:

usmarine wrote:

You have to pay correct?

Wait wat?
I dunno...I saw somewhere in the mess of a thread about a registration fee or something.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6576|Area 51
So the thread, will you be on BF2s.com in 20 years? Should be closed now because we won't even be on BF2s anymore within the next 6 months
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660

OmniDeath wrote:

[edit] Also, no one is forcing you to pay for registration... this is Jeff's site and I don't think it is anyone's place to call into question what he does with it.
Here's where I saw it..

I for one will not be paying if there is a registration fee as that will be taking completely overboard.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard