chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

As rumors of this have pretty well circulated, I think it's about time to let the cat out of the bag. So, right to the point:

In a few months the BF2S Forums will be closed.

BF2S has had an amazing run. I've seen a community coalesce, grow, and bud into something awesome. However, "BF2S" is stuck on a moniker. Namely, "BF2". No game last forever, and BF2 is hitting the end of it's lifespan. However, the community around BF2S has not hit the end of it's lifespan. Instead, I've seen it expand into more games and successfully diversify itself. Team Fortress 2 get togethers, Call of Duty 4 events, the D&ST forum -- all of these are prime examples of our community no longer being dependant upon the BF2 in BF2S.

As implied, the death of the forums at BF2S does not imply the death of the BF2S community, but a chance to properly set ourselves apart as a community of serious (and some not so serious) gamers.

Harkening back to the roots of it all, I've dubbed this new community trackr

trackr will be a new site, with new features that will let the community grow into other games and topics. trackr will also switch technologies behind the website -- a key to letting us expand more freely and transform to the next stage that I see this community is ready to take.

Here's some of what is going to change:
  • PunBB is being replaced by Drupal
    Pun has been amazing for everything it does, but we're more than just forums now we need more, and Drupal provides it.

• Events/Calendar
    Upcoming game release schedules and community sponsored events.

• Groups
    User created groups which can act as 'mini-communities' for the cliques in the whole.

• Reviews & News
    More specific than "[Current Event]" in a post title, this will let us put together presentable, themed reviews and news about the games we're rocking.

• The Library
    I'm personally VERY excited about this and the dev site already has an impressive start on it. The Library is like a collection of wikis. Instead of just covering BF2, we'll be able to aggregate and collect the best info on many games now.

• Downloads
    It returns! While not hosting the files ourselves, we'll be able to keep an organized collection of downloads for ourselves.
  • Forum
    This is going to be a pain point for lots of folks and is one of the draw backs to the new software -- the forums are not as mature as Pun, so some things will be missing.

• Unified Login!
    One of the more annoying parts about bf2s was having to maintain multiple login systems which always broke (ask the wiki team...). Since the whole site is run comprehensively under one software, this is no longer a problem.

• Advanced Polls!
    Example: Vote on one or more items in a list.
And to end it off, as several people have caught, here's a preview of the homepage:

https://static.bf2s.com/misc/trackr.jpg
click for larger
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Makes sense.

Can't wait, gonna take a wild guess that the forums not being mature means karma will be gone? Which is good for me.

Last edited by jord (2008-02-02 04:41:30)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6641
uhhhh fucking dope. Nice one!
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6344|uk

Oh wait.... people know about it now.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6555|British Columbia, Canada
Ohs.. So many good threads gonna be lost forever..

Is there a way to copy all the thread, just the name of the poster and then post itself, without having to do some massive copy and paste effort?
jord
So can the people that already knew about this answer questions now? Like a dedicated thread where we can ask about it...
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

Feel free to ask questions here. Answers are subject to change though.

LT, the forums aren't going to be destroyed, but posting and registration will be disabled.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

So the questions I have been pondering around shall be asked now.

Will bf2s still be archived? It would be so shame to lose all the stuff in here..

I can see the advantage of getting rid of karma, but will there be another, more working system for the "same" purpose? Or just dump it? While karma is being abused, and doesn't quite serve it's purpose, it would still be a nice part of the system if modified in certain ways..

I had more, but can't remember now.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-02-02 04:54:09)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Simon
basically
+838|6650|UK
Wow, I already knew something was happening - but not on this scale
I can't wait.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
I'm scared. It seems like it'll be the type of site that'll be overrun with ads. Straying far from the BF2s "home", "for the user" feeling.
jord
When will this be happening? The closing of this site.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6565
Man...when I read the first couple sentences, my heart raced (sad, I know) and I thought "damn, this is gonna suck...".  But then I read further hehe.

In short, sounds like Trackr will rock Chuy...very nice and thank you sir
kptk92
u
+972|6400|tc_london
The thing that worries and excites me most is the amount of new people that will join this ... Trackr. With the amount of games that will be added onto the site, the amount of new members joining into the community sounds exciting. However, there is going to be even more smacktards as the members population will almost certainly increase.

Will Trackr still have the feature where members have to post a hello topic to be included in the community?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland

LT.Victim wrote:

Ohs.. So many good threads gonna be lost forever..

Is there a way to copy all the thread, just the name of the poster and then post itself, without having to do some massive copy and paste effort?
Useful posts - eg guides, techniques and a helluva a lot of the (currently fubar) wiki will all be on trackr available to access.
Entertayner
+826|6563

o/\o @ trackr dev team.
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it looks like a great evolution.   

good luck with it.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6553|Southampton, UK

Can't wait.
RIP BF2s.
GL Trackr.
Simon
basically
+838|6650|UK
Chuy, will there be something like a general 'review team' or just several teams each dedicated to a different game, bringing in the latest gossip/news etc - not necessarily done by mods or admins, but by members who are involved in the 'scene' for that game.

And yes, I read -  'Reviews & News
More specific than "[Current Event]" in a post title, this will let us put together presentable, themed reviews and news about the games we're rocking.'

But who exactly is us?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland

chuyskywalker wrote:

Team Fortress 2 get togethers
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6558|England

Ahhh ha, the secret no longer has to be kept

I can say it now, a lot of us are working very hard on the website, layout and content, and getting information over.
The homepage is leet as you can see

This is definitly better in the long run, and the way that everything is unified is just simply brilliant. A lot of the hassles of bf2s will be a thing of the past. Chuy, and everyone else, has done an awesome job so far - and its only going to get better.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5966|England

Cool, hope it all goes down well.

Looks like I'll behave on trackr

Can't wait though
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6264
Would be hard to leave this site...so many memories...

On a lighter note,FUCKA YEAH CANT WAIT!

One question:Will BF2s threads be transfered to the new site?
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6553|Southampton, UK

SamTheMan:D wrote:

Cool, hope it all goes down well.

Looks like I'll behave on trackr

Can't wait though
QFE. Me too.
kptk92
u
+972|6400|tc_london

SamTheMan:D wrote: