Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6630|Washington, DC

This is not a bash on the Mac system per se. To be honest, I'd love to get a Macbook Pro.

But thing is, they are so god damned expensive for NO reason other than brand name and stylish cases. Have you seen the basic config Mac Pro? Other than the dual CPUs (two dual-cores), the rest is quite shoddy. A 7300GT? AMAZING! I realize Macs haven't ever been about gaming but come on, who the fuck charges $2500 for a system like that? Apple does.

I'm more than willing to go back to Mac. But first Apple has to lower their prices. A lot. Right now, the might as well just call themselves Appleware because they're just like Alienware - decent PCs that are way overpriced. Only Alienwares pack way more wallop than a Mac.
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6827|Lithuania
They're good for college students who aren't into gaming. AKA people with lives
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6630|Washington, DC

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

How are they good? No wonder college students bitch about eating ramen all day, they spend all their money on overpriced computers.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6638|Amsterdam, NY

Hurricane wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

How are they good? No wonder college students bitch about eating ramen all day, they spend all their money on overpriced computers.
lulz
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6827|Lithuania

Hurricane wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Supposedly the MAC has features which simplify workspaces, word processing, gfx designing, movie sharing etc... as if typing wasn't simple enough.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
Answering your question, I recommend you take a read at The myth of the overpriced mac.

Steven Jobs once said that "We can’t ship junk. There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are. The difference is, we don’t offer stripped-down, lousy products." Also, reliability is a big pro. PC Magazine once did an article that stated "Look no further than Apple, the leader of the pack, whose overall score holds steady at 9.1. Last year, Apple’s score on units needing repair was an impressive 11 percent — well below that of any other company in the survey. But according to readers, the company has managed to cut repair rates even further over the past 12 months. This year, Apple’s score on units needing repair drops to 8 percent. Among first-year systems, it’s only 5 percent. That’s nothing less than astonishing."

Think about software solutions too. iWorks is what.. $50? And it can read office files and so on. Microsoft Office? In excess of $150.

Last edited by kylef (2007-12-19 14:04:43)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
The thing is, for what a Mac does. You really shouldn't have to spend $2500 or so. More like $600-700. If you could run OSX on a custom PC, nobody would buy a Mac

I dunno

can you?

What's so good about OSX anyway, you can do all the multimedia/designing/creativity shit on a PC with XP anyway...

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2007-12-19 14:04:32)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6626|Sea to globally-cooled sea
EA just got a contract with Mac, besides....
agent146
+127|6386|Jesus Land aka Canada

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

ya thats the arguement that i get alot actually lol. that non mac users are gaming geeks and mac people have "lives" but there is a flaw in that. why the bloddy hell do you need such an expensive computer then? jeez my buddy has a macpro book and all he does is use it for the internet and facebook.
and besides a real collge students only needs his pens and paper. YAA PEN AND PAPER 4 ever man....unless he is in graphic design and compute science... but thats different.

i dont' have anything against mac system either. what i am against is "elite" mac users whom are smacktards who think they have "itunes" and "imovies" and thus they more leet them me and that viruses dont' attack macs . sadly i meet alot of them at my school who tell me to get a macbook pro. but then again the price.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
+17|6744|Switzerland (Im not swiss tho)
I have an iMac at college so I can get my work done and Mac OS X prevents me from gaming Well there are still some games that can be played, but still, they're crappy games and I'm going to have to deal with the low performance, thus the deterrent At home however I have a good gaming PC so I do my gaming there.

In my college at least half if not more students in my year and lower have Macs. They currently offer discounts for college students. Also as kylef linked us

* Industrial design. Apple hardware is designed to look good and work well. Just take a look at the robust and elegant design of a PowerMac G5. Beautiful. Solid. Most Wintel PC manufacturers seem to use whatever piece of plastic they can find to stuff their components into. And then they paint it black or beige and finish their non-design by putting a few stickers on it.
It looks awesome. The iMac has it all in one monitor. However, aesthetics aside, Mac OS X crashes programs on me just as much as Windows Vista, and sometimes it's impeccably slow.

The reason why Macs are so expensive is because Apple is vertically integrated, meaning they are in charge of everything that comprises the computer. That means they can make it sync together and work better together, at the cost of a lower price. Other makers of computers can just outsource different components to different companies who can make components at cheaper prices. Basically like how my friend built my very top shelf gaming PC for me for only $1500 using new egg. However, getting all the components from one company (Apple) would make it more expensive as that company may not be as efficient in making a certain component at a cheaper price.

However, Apple has made some efforts to outsource components to other companies, such as the new Intel based iMacs, etc. They used to have their own processor unit.

All in all though, Macs are more expensive in relation to their comparably lower performance only because they have mainly all the components under control of their company and do not outsource components to different companies. This is done so that the computers that Apple makes can be harmoniously synchronized.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6720|California

Simplified my ass.

I can do all the same things with a PC that I can with my Mac. Except the retarted widgits and finder.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1

agent146 wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

ya thats the arguement that i get alot actually lol. that non mac users are gaming geeks and mac people have "lives" but there is a flaw in that. why the bloddy hell do you need such an expensive computer then? jeez my buddy has a macpro book and all he does is use it for the internet and facebook.
and besides a real collge students only needs his pens and paper. YAA PEN AND PAPER 4 ever man....unless he is in graphic design and compute science... but thats different.

i dont' have anything against mac system either. what i am against is "elite" mac users whom are smacktards who think they have "itunes" and "imovies" and thus they more leet them me and that viruses dont' attack macs . sadly i meet alot of them at my school who tell me to get a macbook pro. but then again the price.
In proper colleges you need a computer and a word processing program. For notes you can use pen and paper. There are college public computers and I guess you can write your paper there if you can't afford the computer. But you can't save any documents on it and so you must upload your work onto your email account everytime.

PCs have iTunes too.

iMovies are simple to use.

The number of viruses that attack Macs are much less, so much that I don't have to buy those gay anti-virus wares that I have to buy for my PC.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6584|England

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

so much that I don't have to buy those gay anti-virus wares that I have to buy for my PC.
1. Download
2. Install

Avoiding that sort of hassle alone is worth paying a £400 premium

Last edited by =Karma-Kills= (2007-12-19 14:25:59)

-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1

stryyker wrote:

Simplified my ass.

I can do all the same things with a PC that I can with my Mac. Except the retarted widgits and finder.
DO NOT INSULT TEH WIDGETS & FINDER!!!

p.s. iCal organizes my life
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6435
Windows is compatible with every single market game out there while macs are high-fiving over the satisfaction that they get to play Battlefield 2142.  Why should I bother paying for all this non-upgradeable hardware, OS and software for reliability and ease when I can install Linux with my existing hardware and get that exact same reliability and ease for free?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6463|cuntshitlake

Answer: Visual goods.

Not my stuff, so I'll stick to Windoze and Linux.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
avman633
+116|6364
I don't know but Macs look pretty cool. However, I would take good cheap performance out of a PC then a good looking Mac
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news.html … FzdCwsLDE=

If i was to ever move from windows it would be to linux.
NOT mac

never mac
Its not so much the OS i dislike (but i do) its the users and the adverts and the egos .... :shudders:

Last edited by [PTG]shogun (2007-12-19 15:15:07)

CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

kylef wrote:

Apple’s score on units needing repair was an impressive 11 percent — well below that of any other company in the survey. But according to readers, the company has managed to cut repair rates even further over the past 12 months. This year, Apple’s score on units needing repair drops to 8 percent. Among first-year systems, it’s only 5 percent. That’s nothing less than astonishing.
Considering a lot less people use Mac, of course their repair rates will be lower. If you take 200 PC's vs 100 Macs, there's a chance that more PC's will need repair than Mac. The same is true if you take 200 Mac vs 100 PC, there is a chance more Macs will need repair.

By the way, those "retarded widgets"... Vista, my friend.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

kylef wrote:

Answering your question, I recommend you take a read at The myth of the overpriced mac.

Steven Jobs once said that "We can’t ship junk. There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are. The difference is, we don’t offer stripped-down, lousy products." Also, reliability is a big pro. PC Magazine once did an article that stated "Look no further than Apple, the leader of the pack, whose overall score holds steady at 9.1. Last year, Apple’s score on units needing repair was an impressive 11 percent — well below that of any other company in the survey. But according to readers, the company has managed to cut repair rates even further over the past 12 months. This year, Apple’s score on units needing repair drops to 8 percent. Among first-year systems, it’s only 5 percent. That’s nothing less than astonishing."

Think about software solutions too. iWorks is what.. $50? And it can read office files and so on. Microsoft Office? In excess of $150.
That's hilarious.

Utter nonsense too.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

kylef wrote:

That's hilarious.

Utter nonsense too.
There was an article on Digg that crushed "The myth of the overpriced mac" he just posted... I'm off to search .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Wallpaper
+303|5994|The pool
They overpriced, over hyped pieces of crap. They crash just as much as PCs. If youre doing high quality video/picture editing youre going to be using Adobe, which is for PC too. They dont have viruses because there arent many people using them, and the virus making douchebags dont feel like makinga virus that wont hit many people. The lack compatibitly problems is only because is its ONE company making things rather than a whole bunch.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Of course Macs don't crash.
https://macmediacast.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/macosx-kernel-panic.jpg
They kernel panic, or "become unresponsive", to quote Steve Jobs.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
macs are stylish and the new panther OS is just amazing. and you can play Chessmaster on it!!!
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

.Sup wrote:

macs are stylish and the new panther OS is just amazing. and you can play Chessmaster on it!!!
Panther is their old OS.

10.3 = Panther
10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard (buggier than Vista)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-12-19 15:31:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard