Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Here is a poem I wrote to start things off.

Purple Moons

A purple moon came in to sight,
Then two more.
We felt the earth shake,
Clouds of soot,
Fell on my face.
To the forest we held our heads,
Until we could breathe no more.

Oh my good land.
I'll miss you so,
Your gentle body,
Covered in ash.
Oh how I wanted more.

Lets see yours now.
Annnnnnd go!

Last edited by Superior Mind (2008-05-21 21:10:49)

Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5993|Halifax, West Yorkshire
I'll scour my hard drive for some stuff and post it soon.

EDIT: All the stuff on this computer is pretty old/poor. Looks like it's time to start writing again.

Last edited by Ollie (2007-12-13 21:11:10)

tthf
Member 5307
+210|6766|06-01
i haven't writting anything of note in ages. unless you want to include quotations, proposals and invoices.

like Ollie says, looks like it's time to start writing again.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Another one. It is about a certain familiar someone. .           

ATG

Oh, old son of the West,
Listen to the sound,
The sound is you,
You have been and will be.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2007-12-28 01:30:30)

djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6344|Oregon

Superior Mind wrote:

Here is a poem I wrote to start things off.

Purple Moons

A purple moon came in to sight,
Then two more.
We felt the earth shake
And heard babies cry,
Clouds of soot and angel's blood
Fell on my empty face.
To the forest we held our heads,
Until we could breathe no more.

Oh my good land.
I'll miss you so,
Your gentle body,
Covered in ash.
Oh how I wanted more.

Lets see yours now.
Annnnnnd go!
noice! longing for home. a powerful topic.

I'll post some soon.

Last edited by djphetal (2007-12-28 19:36:43)

tthf
Member 5307
+210|6766|06-01
Darkening Clouds
Wind rustling fallen leaves
Monsoon approaches

Terence
14 Dec 2007
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
Okay, just knocked this up. It's a song, subject to change and improvment of course:

Rotten fruit on the vine,
Infect us with putrid wine,
Ferment on sorrow and loss,
Uncaring mouths,
Greedy tongues,
Unquenchable thirst,

Infect me

Stone people oblivious,
Sheep to sadistic shepherds,   
No lust, no slaughter,
Sleep easy,
While blood flows,
Putrid wine,

Infect me

Ground cleansed,
Zero in,
Green flames for fortune,
Strife for black blood,
Talons topple evil stone,
Raptors remain,
Choking on the ashes of an enemy,

Infect me

- Ollie
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
September 21, 1993. Billingsgate, Ohio.                                                    1                                                                                                               
He was sure he was insane.
The voices came in a chorus of competing shouts whenever a decision had to be made. It was like there was a actors troupe camped on his frontal lobe; different characters whom were all over sensitive and egotistic shouting for attention. Simple decisions as a boy about which toy to play with had led to a diagnosis of autism because the cacophony of personalities within him. As a man he was a trembling nervous wreck, swallowing a daily buffet of anti-depressants.
     The pills gave him enough clarity to sense the desperation he felt to have peace. He had resolved to try one more time for professional help, and if that didn’t work he was going to blow his brains out and shut them up forever.                                                                                                     
     Them. He called them the Family.
     They had names and desires and sometimes some spoke louder than others.
     “Either way...I’m fucked up.” he said. He glanced apologetically at                                                                                                              the receptionist  as he filled out his paperwork, sorry, his smile said; I’m crazy.
     The pen dropped to the hard grey carpet, his trembling fingers fumbling with the clipboard.
     “Thank you, Mister Chavez. The doctor will see you now.”
*                                                       *                                                 *
The walls were adorned with a dozen certificates showing various degrees and course completions. There was the doctors chair and one long couch which he occupied, crushed into the left corner. The mostly
bald dome of the doctors head reflected the dull flourescent lighting. The rows of books glared dustily like spectators at a beating from the wall to wall bookshelf behind him.
     “So...multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, depression. It looks like you’ve got quite a battle on your hands. I’m Vincent Delargo,
but please call me Vince or Doc.” He extended his large hand across the
space between them and after first cringing like a beaten dog he grasped it in one sweaty hand.
     “I’m...Gerald. I’m needing some help.”
     Vince sat back in his wheeled chair and grinned broadly. He said; “ You’d be surprised how few people can say that. It’s very refreshing. You’ve come to the right place.” He smiled reassuringly at his new client. He tapped the thick folder on his lap. Gerald waited with a subtle look of desperation in his eyes, like a half starved dog who must still wait to be fed though the masters plate is piled high with meat.
     “So...what are the main issues today?”
     Gerald raised one eyebrow in question. You have read my file, haven’t you? Where to begin; an autistic idiot savant with serious personality disorders. He felt cursed with a keen sense of self. Overly sensitive in the extreme, a genius with numbers and science, but a social disaster incapable of holding a job.
     “Well, I’d like to take one more opportunity to...cure me. The drugs     aren’t working so good now.”
     Vincent placed the thick folder on the floor next to his chair and began writing  notes on a yellow legal pad. After a long pause he looked hard at Gerald.
     “What’s the main issue?” To him, Gerald looked like a man on a perpetual ledge, ready to jump headlong into madness. Yet there was a quality in this patients eyes that many of his others did not have.  This one was appraising him, and he felt somehow exposed.
     “The voices.”
     “You hear voices in your head? What do they say?”
     Gerald looked at him warily.
     “They argue.” he said.
     “Do they argue with you?”
     “No, each other” He looked to his feet as if ashamed. “And they try and tell me what to do.”
     Vincent was scratching notes onto his pad. Unseen behind them on a
shelf  a tape recorder was slowly turning its wheels documenting everything they said.
     “Do they tell you to hurt people?”
     “Not so much.”
     “What kind of stuff do they tell you?”
     The yellow note pad tilted slightly and Gerald caught a glimpse of the page.                                                                                                 
     “They like to count. Like...you have written seventy three words on that page of paper...about me.”
     Vincent gave no indication he was counting but he quickly confirmed the number of words on the page.
    “Interesting. What else do they say.”
     “They say to stop taking the medication.”
     “Huh. Why don’t you.”
     “Because they talk too loud and I can’t sleep.”

“Is there any one voice that stands out louder than the others? Or, should I ask first, do they have names?”
     Gerald had began to relax now. He felt good talking about his problem. He glanced at the doctors head and counted the hairs without realizing he’d done so.
     “They are all named Gerald. Or, I mean that they are all me.”
     Vincent noted on his pad that this was definitely not a typical split personality disorder trait. He was certainly a patient with an interesting problem.
       “ It’s as if every lifetime has a different voice, and sometimes they all shout at each other. It’s like I can’t pick what color of shirt to wear because some of Them don’t like it. They start yelling to pick another shirt, but the others shout them down, and soon I’m reduced to a wreck on the floor, unable to leave the house because we can’t decide what to wear.”
     On the legal pad he jotted; Lifetimes.
     He tried as much small talk as he could with the new patient in the remaining time. There was a few moments of silence as he finished his notes for this session. He smiled warmly at his patient. He was certainly the most challenging of the current roster, but Vince was afraid that he would not come again as so many did. It was easy for the mentally challenged to admit there was a need for help, it was not easy when helping involved divulging secrets or changing behavior.
     “I want to see you again next week. I’m confident I can help you and in fact I have a homework assignment; I want you to find someway to put these voices to work for you. You have this much life experience, as you put it. Why not put it to work? If there are a thousand voices in your head perhaps there is a good way to get them to team up and do something useful.”
     “Like what?”
     “Oh, I don’t know. Write a novel, create world peace, cure cancer, or
build something” They talked for awhile and the session was over.                                                                                                             *                                                 *                                                     *
August 22, 2008. Mission Viejo, California.
     There was a flurry of activity in tunnel two. They were one thousand feet into a seven mile tunnel connecting Orange County with the Temecula Valley. Seventy five men worked at a time in shifts of six hours inching the hundred million dollar tunnel digging machine forward through solid rock. The back of the machine was only two hundred feet inside the mouth of the tunnel as it was eight hundred feet long. As the machine ate through the earth steel plates and concrete were laid to create the walls of the tunnel. A massive conveyor belt ran through the center of the tunnel digging machine, called by the manufacture the T.D.M 5500. Crushed rock and dirt were swept along the belt to be processed at the mouth of the tunnel for gems and mineral content.
     Today there had been more than the usual contents running along the belt and the entire operation was shut down so that they could be             inspected. Environmental concerns dictated that archeological finds had to be reported immediately.
     Henry Bren was looking at the mouth of the tunnel from two thousand feet from the window of the Bell jet helicopter. He was sure that the digging had stopped because of yet another find of a wholly mammoth tusk or some such nonsense.
     As the whumping of the chopper blades stirred up a cloud of dust the helicopter sat down on the white X bracketed with strobe lights. The twin mouths of the tunnel sat embedded in the base of the mountain with curving waves of concrete arching from either side, ending erosion for hundreds of years on this West slope of Mount Santiago. If this was a stoppage because of another batch of bones he was going to sack Don Mcman on the spot. He’d afford him the dignity of a private meeting, but that was it. Henry was a hunter, and the prey was profit for his corporation. He was more than that, he was a blind hunter,  smelling only the money, and seeing none of the consequences.

More than the money from the tax funded super project to connect the desert valley with the coastal plains the Mission Viejo Company would likely reap hundreds of millions of dollars from the gold and silver deposits that would be extricated as a byproduct of the TDM.  These mountains were at the Southern edge of the San Gabriels, which at some four billions years old were some of the oldest exposed mountain ranges known. Geological uplift had banded the entire center of California with unbelievably rich core contents, the most important of which remains gold.   
     I want them to keep digging! By the time the door opened he was as red faced as Ted Kennedy after a fund raiser and the crewmen with the company logo; MVC averting their eyes much as the vicars to Caesar had done two millennium before. Although, if he had to make a historical comparison to himself it would have been to Alexander the Great   and his vanquished enemy was the competing Orange County fortune five hundred companies in the  ranking of the Dow industrial averages.                                                                                           
     The man who drove him into the tunnel via a electric truck had a distinctly ashen look to him as if he had spent many years digging tunnels. But this wasn’t the case. Normally, this man as assistant director of operations would not be driving a cart or working day to day digging the tunnel.
     Along the flanks of the road leading to the mouth  thin rows of mobile trailers that housed the eight hundred full time employees sat like a shanty town on wheels. Although an additional five hundred union workers processed the tunnel tailing for ore and moved the millions of tons of earth remnants away where they were sold to engineering firms needing compact able soil for fill dirt on construction projects, they lived in neighboring cities.  The revenues alone for dirt, sand and gravel sold equaled the cost for the roads, housing trailers and full time private security for the entire complex. That was one of the beauties of government funded public works contracts was that the project was funded not only for the tunnel digging operation, but MVC was contracted for tens of millions of dollars in disposal for the earth that would be removed in the process.
     “Ah, Mr. Bren?” The driver looked nervously at the boss.
     “Yes.”
     With his statement they were reduced to the same playing field. Yesterday, he would not have thought to speak to this man unless spoken to. Let alone to use profanity. The whole world and most of human history had just changed forever, but his boss didn’t know it yet. Just yesterday I was a devote Christian, he thought as they neared the cluster of men grouped around the front of the TDM. In light of their discovery, all concepts relating to human history would have to be reviewed.
     “Boss, you aint gonna fuckin’ believe what we found.”
     Mr. Brens almost non-existent upper lip disappeared in a disapproving frown as he looked askance at the driver. Like a puzzled hound dog his head cocked in a tilt as they entered the mouth of the tunnel. He wondered if he hadn’t misheard him. The only people who used profanity in his presence were in order; his wife, his father and his stock broker.
*                                                         *                                                  *
     The TDM was segmented at its head. Like a giant mechanical centipede   the machine inched along through the soil. As the tungsten steel teeth  devoured the stone and soil the force of the drilling rotation pulled the mouth along. Workers using hydraulic jacks forced the terminal housing into place. The terminal housing was followed by a void in the machine where rebar was laced and precast concrete arches laid to form the raw surface of the tunnel. With every ten feet of progress in digging a new section of conveyer belt was laid to wisk the tailings to the processing points.
     It was first on the conveyer belt where things had gotten a little strange.  Along with the crushed rock and dirt bits and pieces old rusted metal had began to appear.
      The electric cart stopped twenty feet short of the cluster of MVC executives gathered near the conveyer belt. They didn’t talk. Their faces were painted with the expressions of confusion and concern, like the face of parents of a injured child. The air smelled of top soil and oil. Henry Bren exited the electric car and began to stride to the cluster of men. His usual  swagger was gone. The whole scene was making him nervous.
      They all looked up as he approached. There was not the usual at attention stance they would all normally have. Gone were the suit jackets and hard hats. The majority of the twelve men had turned their attention back to the dirt wall of the tunnel as soon as they had noticed who it was, which definitely  wasn’t normal.
      Henry felt for the first time in twenty years of corporate take overs like just another one of the guys.
     “ So, what’s going on?”
     Don McMann turned to him.
     “Well sir...we stopped the dig, because...because...” then he simply gestured to the wall of the tunnel. They moved aside so he could see. The first thing he could think was; I fucking knew it! Another fosil!
     But this was obviously no wholly mammoth. The pause lasted a full two minutes. It took at least that long to wrap his head around what he was seeing, but still he had to ask; “What the fuck is that?”
     Don actually touched his shoulder and Henry was glad, because he was now the only thing keeping  his balance. Henry felt a very strong desire to sit down; right here, on the dirty floor.
     “Sir...It’s a man.”
     One trembling hand wiped his thin upper lip. Henry looked decidedly ashen, as if he was about to vomit. The executives subconsciously took a small step backwards around him.
     “Its not a man!” he said shrilly, “It’s a fossil!”
     Twenty seven year old James Tamps had not been a distant enough family member to greatly fear his job status at the Mission Viejo Company because of pointing out the obvious to his boss Henry Bren. He thought Henry was a colossal idiot. He loved seeing him prove it and couldn’t resist the knife blade of sarcasm his reply carried. He said it slowly as if speaking to a five year old at a museum.
      “ Yes Henry. It’s a fossil alright. A fossil of a man in a space suit and helmet in three billion year old rock.” There was a brief snickering but aside from this brief exchange they all continued to stare at the find.
      No one was surprised by his response.

“Has anyone told the press?”
     “Not as far as we know sir.” It had been three days since work had stopped because of the find. Most of the workers would have only seen the conveyer belt contents.
     “Who was on duty?” Henry snapped.
     “Barnes and Tolpin, sir.” one of the executives replied.
     “I want a meeting with them tomorrow morning!”
     “Yes Sir.”
     His brain was spinning out of control. Paramount was to keep the project moving. His eyes had become hard and he looked at each man in turn before he spoke.
    “Gentlemen. I don’t know what this is or what it means, but if one word  leaks out of this tunnel about this I will personally see to it that the balls of the babbermouth hang from MVC’s flag pole by morning.
     “We will notify the authorities when I say!”
        He glowered and began to pace.
       “We...will...keep...digging!!!”
     July 17,2004. Spencer Research Center, Antartica
The immaculate frozen desolation swept away into an icy fog in all directions away from the observation post. It was way too easy to fall to sleep at the post out here. That was why the music was loud. The howling wind was replaced only occasionally by a numbing silence. Here, three hundred miles from the arctic coast there were no birds, no howling wolves or other disturbances to muck up a perfect storm of silence.
     Only the wind. When the wind blew, nothing happened.
     Like tonight. The wind shouted with hurricane force voice outside the kevlar shell of the observation outpost. No one had specified what exactly there was to be observed. But surely there was nothing to hear but the wind, and that was why Ted Nugent was blasting from the boom box.
     The music was also loud because there were strange sounds that carried on the shifting snow drifts when the wind was picking up. It reminded Air Force Specialist Gregory Allen of the moaning sounding the singing sand dunes made in Death Valley. In the loneliness of the station it was too easy to hear voices on that wind, and for the mind to wander, and that was why they kept the music loud.
     “Holy shit did you see that?”
Major Stephan Briggs was at the window as he usually was. Gregory preferred the computer monitors displaying the security camera feeds and the high speed internet connection that accompanied the computer banks.
     Briggs pulled the plug on the boom box and the room seemed to grow colder as the sound of the moaning wind filled the chemical smelling air of the station.
     “What was it?” he didn’t get up. Briggs had been getting a little cabin feverish lately. He had been slowly edging the volume up louder and louder
lately when the wind was blowing and pacing when not on watch.
     Briggs grabbed the binoculars.
     “There is something in the clouds.”
     There was a raw edge to his voice, a husky sound like a man on the verge of tears. Gregory subconsciously noted that Briggs was carrying his sidearm. That too, was unusual.
     “ What a helo?”
“ I don’t think so.”
     Briggs was on the last leg of a distinguished military career. This was considered a prestige posting; they were both career special forces operators, and this was a top secret air force development center, far more secret than Area 51 had ever been. With the extended duty of the post and sensitive nature of the facility it was a high paying gig. A cold, lonely maddening job, it seemed to Gregory that the strain was taking its toll. He picked up the headset and keyed the mic.
     “ Let’s contact Ops Center.”
     Briggs replied distantly; “Okay, lets do that.”
     Gregory stood and walked towards the window where Briggs stood as he began the transmission.
     “Ops Center, Ops Center, this is outpost four, do you read me?”
     Static. Wind.
     “Ops Center, Ops Center, this is outpost four, do you read me? Over.”
     “OP4, this is Ops, go ahead.”
     Briggs was watching him intently now, and he was looking out the window.
     “Ops, this is OP4. Is there any air assets off station, over.”
     There was a few minutes of radio silence. The room was beginning to hum as the wind speed increased. Outside thin clouds raced by three hundred feet over the outpost, bands of gauze in a milky night. The window was heated so that visibility would not be hampered by frost or snow.
     Gregory stared at the boiling sky. Every few seconds a star would appear and then disappear between the clouds.    
     “OP4 this is Ops, all birds are on deck, over.”
     “Roger that Ops, out.”
     He looked at Briggs whom was looking out the window again.
     “If there is something there, old buddy, it’s not one of our helicopters.”
     Briggs was quiet for a full minute.
     “Ya...what could fly in this weather?”
     Gregory swapped the Ted Nugent for some Patsy Kliene and turned the volume up half way.
     “Right. Why don’t you get some sleep?
     He stood there for a long time. Finally he seemed to relax and sat down at the control panel. Gregory stared out into the howling wind for a few minutes until the patsy disk began to skip. He was too preoccupied to feel the hairs on his neck begin to tingle.
     A low hum had began to get louder in his ears. With the song changed he turned to sit back at his desk, and caught a glimpse of light through the clouds.
     Suddenly the air was sucked from his lungs as the tempature plunged 
     to minus 40 degrees inside the post. He fell to his knees and began to crawl towards the now open door. Briggs was gone; he’d thrown open the door and ran screaming into the wind. Spots began to dance in his vision and he knew there was a good chance he was not going to make it to the door. If the door was opened for more than a few minutes all they would find was a guardcicle frozen to the floor.
     Gasping he dragged himself forward and gripped the edge of the door. He looked for one second for Briggs but the stinging wind all but blinded him.
     “Briggs” he shouted even as the door  closed again. Briggs was probably dead already, without a parka in this cold.  The skin of his hands had been flash frozen when he touched the outside edge of the door trying to close it and now began to protest the injury. He stood slowly and made it to the window; there was no sign of Briggs. This would have to be reported immediately. But he stood there and stared at the clouds. Patsy was asking  who’s sorry now?
     And something moved inside the clouds.
*                                                          *                                                  *

Billingsgate, Ohio. September 22, 1997
By now Vincent felt at home with Gerald. The sessions had gone strangely at first; he was the first client that had made him feel too attached. He had gotten so far wrapped up in the strange story of this wreck of a man whom claimed to be in touch with all his past lives that he had sought guidance from his college mentor.  It was not considered professional or mentally  healthy for a therapist to become overwrought at the ups and downs of the client.  He had initially began to become at ease as his client had shown signs of improvement. But as he got to know him he found himself looking forward to this one client like no other. For one thing; the insights Gerald  had into the nature of his own problems were astounding. If you could call them insights. To any outsiders trained in the objective diagnosis of mental illness this guy was a nut case. To Vincent the man was very convincing. He actually believed that he was what he said he was, or more properly, we was what he was victimized by; himselfs.
     Vincent glanced at the clock, he would be walking in the door any second. He self consciously arranged the clutter on his desk and straightened his tie. That was one of the unnerving effects this guy had on him; he felt somehow like royalty. There was a certain charisma around him and the therapist wondered how many sessions had turned into situations  where Gerald seemed to be counseling him.
     More than once he had been poised to tell Gerald that it was time to move on, that he had done all for him that he could. Ninety dollars an hour was a nice fee and more than a few of his peers had been known to drag on the therapy sessions as long as the client could pay. But every time he felt that  Gerald would seem to reassure him [ unasked, of course ] that the sessions  were indeed valuable to him. Moreover, Gerald needed the sessions as he had used to need his anti-psychotic medicine. Vincent knew this because Gerald had told him.
      The intercom on his desk buzzed. The receptionists voice intoned through the speaker that his appointment was coming in. He didn’t register the bead of sweat that formed on his brow. It was show time and this was to him the big show. They no longer met in the patient room but here instead in his office. Gerald had wanted that. Being equals in his mind had helped him open up and that was yet another way that this particular client had changed his routine. Now all patients went through a process; first the  lounge where they both sat on chairs, to the chair couch routine so iconic to all psycho therapy sessions. Then as the sessions drew towards conclusion they would migrate here, to his office.
     The door opened and Gerald walked in. He looked pensive. They shook hands and sat down. He was not his usual self and looked somewhat depressed. He waited for Gerald to start; he usually did. But not this time.       “So...how are we doing this week?”
     Gerald was a slender man with hair first showing its first hints of grey.  Nearing the end of his third decade he looked more like fifty. Especially his eyes.  His clothes always seemed to be the more extreme blend of style and color; designer jeans combined with dress loafers topped by a stripped button up shirt and bow tie. If he was trying to make a fashion statement it was that covering all the bases couldn’t be bad. His arms were lean and muscled, chiseled by a lifetime of hard work. That was his primary tool for staying sane, he often said; staying so busy that he didn’t have time to realize that he was crazy.
     “This week I tried to stay busy.” Gerald knew what that meant; it was code speak for saying that this previous week had been one where he wished he was still  guzzling pills.
     “Oh? Was it a busy week here?” he tapped at his temple.
     Gerald smiled and nodded. “ You know me well, Vince.”
He briefly consulted his notes and found no real help there on where to take the conversation. Whenever that happened he usually reverted to backup plan A.
     “So, have you made any progress on the homework assignment ?”
     “Not so much,” Gerald said. “ I’ve been trying to think of a good project to start but haven’t found anything new yet.”
     Vincent chewed the tip of his pen for a moment. “ Is there argument from the Others?”
     “Not really.” Gerald’s  eyes got that faraway look to them. He was obviously debating something with himself. He looked at Vincent with a tweaked eyebrow. That meant he didn’t want to talk about “the Others”, which was fine by him. He found those sessions involving the subject of Geralds past lives rather disturbing. It made him recoil on some visceral level. He was perfectly content being a Catholic with mainstream Catholic beliefs. Taken on the face of things Geralds story was absurd; if the guy wasn’t so damned smart and full of insight to things in general he would have dismissed him at the get go.  As it was you had to at least consider it. This was, after all, the guy that had unseated Ken Jennings as Jeopardy master of all time. They never talked about his stint on the game shows.  It was if Gerald found them somehow embarrassing.
“ Well,” Vincent began,” remember to use what tools you have to get through it all. “
     ”Right,” Gerald replied.
     “So how are the classes going? What are you studying again?”
     “Right now I’m taking a class on metallurgy. I’ve been tinkering at the foundry with different alloys.”
     Vincent make quick notes. Gerald had purchased a small brass foundry shortly after he began coming in. The old guy running the place had practically given it away.
     “Oh? Whats that all about?”
     “Combining different metals to create new metals. Trying to alloy them with non metallic substances. I’ve managed to mix  aluminum with ceramics  to form what I think is a new item but...I don’t know.”
     “What are you going to do with it?” Vincent asked.
     “That’s not the point.” Gerald smiled grimly. “ I never sat out to “do” anything. I’m just trying to keep myselfs busy.”
     Vincent noted that on his pad; “Myselfs”
Late that night as Gerald slept the argument continued. He tossed in his dirty sheets until 3 A.M. and finally pulled on his shoes. The apartment he occupied was above the foundry. As a result all of his belongings were coated in a fine layer of dust. As he walked in the darkness through the dingy apartment and down the stairs to the foundry floor the Others kept up the debate;
     Mix more ceramic.
     No stupid, it won’t be metal anymore.
     When I was a young man we...
     That won’t work because...
     Try this instead...
     He slammed a fist through the drywall and covered his eyes with one hand.
     “Please stop.”   
     And for a change they did. Walking down through the hallway and out the door he crossed his office. Towering stacks of  unopened mail crowded every available space. A light blinked meekly from the phone suggesting that he check the messages but they went unheeded for days at a time. Luckily for him there had been enough business grandfathered in with the place that advertising had not been a problem. Juan and Alfredo stamped out molds in the mornings and ground the castings down every afternoon; all he needed to do was order the ingots and box the product for UPS to pickup.
     The large room where the metal was melted and poured had a oily smell. The racks of patterns looked down as he stood in the center of the room. Heat still radiated from the furnace that had burned ten hours before and the moon cast twisty shadows on the floor and walls. Doves cooed and fluttered in their nests upon the steel girders that framed the roof, disturbed by his early morning trespass.
     Four long minutes past and he stood there in the near darkness basking in the temporary quiet of his mind and then he saw the half eaten box of doughnuts on the dim surface of a work bench.
     It was like that moment in Close Encounters when the guy makes the Devils Tower out of a lump of mashed potatoes. He saw the shape of the  doughnut and it stopped him cold.
     “Oh shit.”  he whispered. He knew the feeling; it was inspiration. And inspiration could be a real bitch. It had a habit of taking hold of you and there was no stopping it.
     He quickly crossed the room and switched the lights on. He hadn’t noticed in the darkness but ants were roiling over the pastries and having a ball. He stood there looking at the doughnuts with his head slowly cocking to one side like a curious dog.
     Absently he picked up a refrigerator magnet sitting on the desk and began using the polarity to push its twin around the wood table. The ants continued the feast and he stood there thinking.
     Doughnuts and a magnet,  he thought, what’s the connection.
     Magnets were a strange thing. He had always been fascinated by them. Two opposing poles attracted each other; the opposite poles repelled each other. He pushed them around and then stuck them together.
     He could feel the Others. When the voices came it always started with a feeling that he was being watched. He tried the exercise Vincent had taught him and focused his breathing into deep long pulls and forceful exhales. It worked for a few seconds, then they came.
     What do you think you’ll do with that?
     Dummy, he knows what to do.
      Most disturbing to Gerald was when the voices spoke with accents in his head, or sometimes  foreign tongues. Some were louder than others and the loudest of all was a British voice; he was loud and boisterous and very opinionated.
      Here then,  this male voice said in a thick cockney accent, if you could get those poles to move one another, what could you do with it?
     What the hell, Gerald thought, am I supposed to answer?
     Why don’t you makes yeself busy, limey, and make use of that doughnut.
     Well, Gerald shrugged, using the same body language as if he wasn’t alone in the middle of the night in a dark foundry, how?
     Don’t know dummy.
     Can you hear me?
     But now they began to shout in that competing chorus. It made his head hurt and he leaned one hand on the table. Not realizing he was doing it he brushed the ants from the largest doughnut and held it up. He wanted to call Vincent.
     The voices rose to such a clamor that he began to see white spots in his eyes and crumbled dizzy to the floor. The Others were shouting now but he seemed to hear that cockney voice above the rest and as he slipped into unconsciousness it was speaking patiently as if to a child in a soft repeating voice that reminded him of the Tin Man.
    Engine. Engine .Engine
     He lay with his cheek pressed to the floor dimly aware that there was a pain in his forehead from hitting the floor like a imploded building. He could see the belt sander on its stand across the room but everything was tilted sideways and washed in a white fog. The view seemed to lock in place like a snapshot, multiply itself and slip down and to the left in cascading frames, he was now semi-conscious. He inhaled and puffed his air out creating a mini dust storm around his face.
    His eyes closed and he dreamt of the cosmos.

Continued below...

Last edited by ATG (2007-12-14 17:04:25)

FunKYPenGuin
FunKY Member
+19|5993|Sydney
Some interesting writings here, very entertaining.

<3 Ollie, nice song.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin

FunKYPenGuin wrote:

Some interesting writings here, very entertaining.

<3 Ollie, nice song.
Thanks mate.

ATG I'll read yours later...I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
Yummey!
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6344|Oregon
ATG. I owe that a read but I too am sleep deprived and work in 9 hours.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Here's a limerick I wrote in Intermediate School when I was eleven. We had to write a book of poems, one of each type our teacher gave us, Haikus, Limericks and so on. The Limerick was the last one in the book.

Right now I am feeling too sick,
to write a decent limerick.
If you think it's a farce,
shove it right up your arse,
you ill-tempered illiterate prick.

My teacher actually had the good humour to try and get it in the yearly school magazine.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
The Feed of the Young

There's an old wives’ tale about a certain vile substance. The substance comes from a fruit of nature. The fruit is boiled and pulverized in to an unrecognizable slop. Then shavings of withered dead plants are thrown in to the mix. It is turned and simmered in an unholy vat, big enough for a man to drown in. The substance is then channeled through tubes like the veins of a dieing bat into cold glass containers. The containers are caped and stuck with a gluey paper. This horrible substance is known as Apple Sauce.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2007-12-28 01:30:48)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
The Desert, the Wind, and the Monk.

On the first day of winter in a small Tibetan village, many hundreds of years ago, a man named Tashi and his family awoke to the sound of a dozen horses’ hooves beating the road. Tashi walked outside to see what all the commotion was. The Imperial army marched down the road going  from home to home, telling people to come outside. Tashi brought his wife and two children outside.
“Here now citizens. By order of the emperor this land is to be made into an ore mine. Everyone who lives within this town must move north to the border of Xinjiang. Demolition of the town will begin in two weeks time.”
    Everyone in the town protested. The riders rode off without answering anyone’s questions. Tashi was infuriated. His life depended on this town. He raised yaks here. The yaks could not survive in the arid north. Tashi needed some guidance. The only place he knew to seek this guidance was at the temple. Tashi went alone to the temple to pray, and to perhaps seek words of wisdom from a monk. After chanting for sometime Tashi approached a monk named Tenzin.
     “Tashi, what bothers you?” said Tenzin.
     “The army has come to town and is forcing everyone to move to the north. How can my family live there? There is no water there for the yaks, not even for us. The soil there is dead and sandy. No crops can grow! What shall I do Tenzin?”
     “Do not fear the north. It is in our nature to adapt to whatever Earth may give us. You need to have faith in the spirit body of the world”, said Tenzin.
     “How can I have faith in dead land?”
     “There is no dead land, Tashi. Everything around is alive. Go to the desert and find the spot in which you will move to. Let the wind guide you there. When you have found the right spot kneel down and dig away the fresh sand. Come back here and tell me what you find buried.”
     “Yes, Tenzin”, said Tashi.
    Tashi slaughtered a goat and packed some of its meat in a bag and gave the rest for his family to eat while he was gone. He also packed some seeds and water. He told his family that he was going to scout a location to move to. Tashi set out on a donkey in to the north. On the second day of his travel Tashi reached the desert. At the deserts edge his donkey gave in to his thirst and fell faint. Tashi set out on foot in to the desert. He looked for a spot that was protected by from the sandy winds. Then he remembered Tenzin had said to follow the wind.
     The wind was blowing northeast, towards the mountains. After hours of walking with the wind, Tashi was led in to a canyon. The canyon was moist and cool. Tashi found a nice spot next to a rock wall near the canyons mouth where he thought he could build a house. He knelt down and pushed aside the top layer of sand. He exposed an exotic blue and violet flower. It sprouted from a large system of lush, buried vines. Tashi picked the flower and safely placed it in his water pouch. He ripped out some of the plump vines and also stored them away. Tashi walked back to his near dead donkey and fed it some of the watery vines. The donkey was revived and the two made their way back to town.
     Upon returning to town Tashi went straight to Tenzin and showed him the flower.
     “Ah, this is a very good find Tashi! You see Tashi, there is always something well to find. Even in the most unlikely places. In the desert, the spirit of the wind may hide the deserts life, but as you have seen, it is there. It just takes a little effort to find. Now you know that you can prosper there. You have broken the barrier that was set up for you and drank from the breasts of the Earth. Do not ever let the whistle of the wind or the wind of a man discourage you. The heartbeat of the Earth is never muffled. Just listen for it.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2007-12-28 01:31:05)

ATG
Banned

ATG wrote:

He lay with his cheek pressed to the floor dimly aware that there was a pain in his forehead from hitting the floor like a imploded building. He could see the belt sander on its stand across the room but everything was tilted sideways and washed in a white fog. The view seemed to lock in place like a snapshot, multiply itself and slip down and to the left in cascading frames, he was now semi-conscious. He inhaled and puffed his air out creating a mini dust storm around his face.
    His eyes closed and he dreamt of the cosmos.

Continued below...
*                                            *                                     *
Air Force One. July 19, 2004
The President of The United States was just finally beginning to sleep. The lights were dimmed in the cabin, but he still wore sleeping goggles.
In his dream he was not the President. Just a workaday Joe cursing at the television. He heard the voice on the television say, “ Today’s segment in The End Of The World is brought to you by…”
The hand shaking his shoulder ended the scene. His eyes opened behind the goggles and he sighed heavily and said in a tired voice,  “ I’m sleeping, can’t  it wait?”
“ No Sir, priority communication from Antcom. “
He sat up and removed the goggles. The plane heaved in a patch of rough air and his assistant placed a hand on the door frame to keep from loosing his balance.
“ Fine, ” he stood and they walked towards the cockpit. “ I’ll take it at my desk. “
He sat at the small comfortable desk and turned the computer monitor to reduce the glare  from the overhead lights. He much preferred this office over his official one at the Whitehouse. There was something about the gentle swaying of the plan he found relaxing. His assistant donned a pair of head phones and began typing at the laptop he had carried with him.
The President maintained his posture for a few seconds and when it became obvious that there were communication errors with the computers he sat back in his chair and rubbed his eyes.
“ Here we are sir. General Nume, CO of Ant Base. “
His monitor emitted light and the generals face took shape on the screen. He waited for the scrolling green counter to finish it’s cycle showing a solid link which took about five seconds.
“General?”
The face on the screens was framed by a parka hood. The lips moved but the sound followed two seconds behind. General Nume looked unshaved and unkempt. Somewhere deep inside the President the feeling began to grow that something was amiss.
“ Yes, Mr. President. We lost a outpost team.”
There was, the President knew, something else going on. They would not wake him over a pair of dead men in an Antarctic outpost.
“ What happened? “
“Were not really 100% sure, sir. Some sort of… incident or accident. Two  men are missing. The outpost is totally destroyed. We recovered what we believed to be part of one of the bodies. We are waiting on DNA tests to confirm it’s ours, but as the outpost is several hundred miles from the closest known foreign installation and completely cut off from all ground transportation it seems safe to conclude that it is one of the two men who were manning the outpost.
The image on the screen changed from the generals face to aerial views of the outpost. They were from a satellite  As the general transmitted different images the connection slowed. Finally a large close up image of what looked like intestines encased in ice appeared.
“ This was all we found, and there was no trace of the second of the two men there. “
The image changed again. It was now an aerial view of the outpost from maybe 300 feet above the highest antennae . He knew immediately what the anomaly was he was looking at.
He sat back and rubbed his eyes and stared for a few seconds before he spoke, “ Okay General, I’ll bite. Where did all the snow and ice go? “
“ No idea sir. Everything is…melted in a three hundred foot perimeter . The door to the station was fused shut and we had to torch cut it open.”
The assistant handed the President a single page of paper. He read this quickly and wrote in black ink marker over the text;
Reroute the plane to Edwards Airforce base, now!
“ General please send over a detailed report immediately. Order your men to alert status.”
“Sir, yes sir!”
He thought for a moment. The plane dipped suddenly and he felt his diner wanting to find another place of residence.
“ General Nume. Are we under attack? “
The Generals eyes hardened and he shook his head slightly. He always spoke like a soldier when it was serious, “ Sir, I have no fucking idea.”
“ Figure it out General and get back to me ASAP! ”
The plane began to arch into a turn from Southeast to Southwest. He sat staring at the video image of the ruined outpost, no longer sleepy.

Last edited by ATG (2007-12-14 17:07:39)

sportsman11-2cool4u
We can be those mistakes!
+98|6336|USA Biznatch!

Ty wrote:

Here's a limerick I wrote in Intermediate School when I was eleven. We had to write a book of poems, one of each type our teacher gave us, Haikus, Limericks and so on. The Limerick was the last one in the book.

Right now I am feeling too sick,
to write a decent limerick.
If you think it's a farce,
shove it right up your arse,
you ill-tempered illiterate prick.

My teacher actually had the good humour to try and get it in the yearly school magazine.
Wow they actually lets you say that stuff in school?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Yep. I thought it was pretty good for an eleven year-old and my teacher gave me the top mark for it which is why I've kept it for nine years.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Technology fails
To elevate the masses
Major malfunction

Bombs are dropped daily
Some place is being destroyed
As we watch T.V.

Free thought is a right
Never seek to inhibit
To speak is human

Harness negative
Channel into positive
Create works of art

Man good or evil?
Question debated at length
Both, but we must choose

Stimulate the mind
Find your own reality
Create your own truth

Rise up, take a stand
Against inequality
Earth is free for all

Must have open mind
To view the world today
We are all diverse

Who decides your fate
Existence is in your hands
It is up to you

Thoughts are not censored
people persist in trying
dissenting voice heard

A few haikus I've written.  I'll post more as I feel more comfortable.  I write more for self-satisfaction than anything else.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
What I miss when I go away, I hate when I come back.
AWSMFOX
Banned
+405|6472|A W S M F O X
Into The Maw

It was a monday i think, probably not, id been awake so long time seemed to be a distant option. Id been awake 80 hours or more, constantly ripped, twisted, stoned and generally buzzing. The sweat was pouring off me, whipped into the wind and beyond, from that terrible slip stream one creates when going 90mph in a 1969 Boss 429 Ford Mustang. Before we go any further i have to give you the background, the background on a terrible journey into the very heart of insanity. Id started off in a oppourtunistic fevor, asked by my boss to cover some kind of amazing race. He'd mentioned elephants on the phone and i was already packing. The thing sounded like some kind of monster renactment of the civil war, or a medley of Hannibals crossing, The Battle Of Waterloo and WW2. The only way to cover something like this was to get hopelessly twisted on a assortment of powerful (and terrible) psychedelics. I needed backup for this one i decided. Not just moral but physical too, by the sound of things it was going to get ugly, especially when the likes of me roar into the equation. So i called my good friend Carlos, a dangerous mexican with all the wrong connections, but a powerful taste for mind altering drugs and the same twisted sense of humour/reality that i had. A true visionary. He agreed immediatley, but requested he select the firearms and at least 1/4 of the drugs. I was elated, he had the best taste in powerful handguns/rifles. His drug closet was also full of rare and dangerous wares.

We conferenced about the situation at the local cocktail bar, summing up the various dangers we'd probably encounter, and the logical legal loopholes we could exploit if the shit really hit the fan. Carlos worked as a lawyer, when i say worked i really mean dabbled since he didnt have a practice, only representing friends. His family had died in a grease fire when he was 12. "BY GOD!" he suddenly yelled. "Fuck, i think ive solved the puzzle, the way I see it is that those sons of bitches are holding this thing for a tax break, shit they'll probably make millions of this bastard" Jesus i thought, what crazed delusions are looming up on him? "Tax break?" i replied, sipping my singapore sling. "These fuckers probably have had this thing clocking over in their minds for years, figuring how to make a nice tidy profit on this scale their whole lives" He mumbled. I had NO idea what he was talking about, assuming hed already sampled some of the drugs we'd be taking on this trip. "What the fuck are you on about you crazy bastard, are you high on cocaine?" i enquired. "Hell no, im talking about your boss, its the only reason he'd be paying you so much to cover this thing" he said, crunching on the ice left in his drink. "Of course, it all makes sense now, the puzzles been solved, the pieces fit! Shit, what do you think we should do? Report him to the IRS?" i said. "No, that would only involve us further, the best thing to do would be to cover it, and i mean REALLY cover the fucker, jangle it to its core, HELL! this will be one of those pieces they'll be showing kids in school 50 years from now" he suddenly exclaimed. It sounded like I'd have to keep my wits about me, if I wanted to stand any chance against these fat back grosseros, they meant business.

A story in the Gonzo vein im writing in parts.

Last edited by JET_G raidensen (2007-12-28 01:42:33)

ATG
Banned
What the...?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
I feel inferior now. I've never written anything longer than four or five pages and that wasn't even of my own choosing or creation as the topic was outlined. I'm in awe.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6578|Portland, OR, USA
A report on the necessity of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings with a couple citations thrown in

A flash so bright that it could be seen for miles around signaled the instantaneous demise for seventy thousand Japanese civilians on August 6th, 1945 (Kowinski).  It was claimed be the necessary end-all weapon in a long, drawn out war, but its true necessity comes into question when one observes the events and politics working behind the scenes in the days before the bomb was dropped.  It is my belief that there was no need to rape our world of its atomic virginity and end the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians, as by the time the bomb was dropped, Japan posed no real threat.
    Building the atomic bomb was by no means an easy task; it took many years of research, thousands of scientists and billions of dollars.  The need for an atomic weapon was first brought to the attention of President Roosevelt, before the United States entered the war, by Albert Einstein.  Einstein and some of his colleagues realized the true power that such a bomb would create and were concerned that Germany was trying to produce one (inventors.about.com/library/inventors).  While President Roosevelt established a committee to overlook the potential of uranium based nuclear weapons, he wasn’t too concerned about it, until December 7th, 1941. 
    The mood changed when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.  The attack not only gave the United States a reason to enter the war, it also gave the government a reason to research a quick way to end it.  The Manhattan Project was the name given to the group of scientists who would ultimately develop the bomb.  The project was housed in three main building complexes located in Washington, Tennessee and New Mexico.  The sites in Washington and Tennessee were used to derive the enriched uranium that would be used in the bombs.  These were large, secluded, top-secret communities in which the government invested millions and if the bomb turned out to be a dud, “the Manhattan Project would rank as the most costly industrial failure of all time” (encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia).
    On July 16th, 1945, after years of research, experiments and uranium enrichment, the true power of nuclear fission was realized as a bomb equivalent to 20,000 tons of TNT scorched the desert.  Word was sent to President Truman, who was in Germany at the Potsdam Conference discussing the best way to end the war with Japan, that the bomb was a success.  Immediately, the scientists expressed their remorse and fear for what they had created, and began questioning if it was ethical to use such a weapon against human beings (eyewitnesstohistory.com/atomictest).  Having this weapon in his back pocket, President Truman could now negotiate as he pleased, knowing that the end of the war was just a phone call away.
    Before the bomb was even tested, it was known that Japan was losing its ability to pose a threat.  In the weeks leading up to the attack on Hiroshima, the United States engaged in a campaign of round-the-clock bombing on the city of Tokyo (worldwar2database.com/html/japanbom).  Tokyo was a city built primarily of wood and burned easily.  The thousands of tons of magnesium, napalm and phosphorus filled munitions dropped from American B-29s wrecked havoc in the city.  When dropped in large quantities on any city, this incendiary weaponry created massive firestorms, but when dropped on highly populated areas made out of wood, the devastation was total. The first firestorm created in Tokyo was on March 9th, 1945.  This single attack consisted of 334 B-29 bombers, charred 17 square miles and killed a disputed number between 80,000 and 200,000 people (French).
    Firestorms resulted as the city began to catch fire, and the incredibly warm air began to rise, resulting in the surrounding cold air being sucked into the fire, carrying people with it.  It also deprived the area of oxygen, so incineration came easier to some than to others as they passed out or suffocated before they were engulfed in flames.  The rise of heated air mixed with the entrance of cool air created a tornado of fire, with winds that gusted to 150 MPH and the center of this whirl of hell reached over 3000 degrees Celsius (or 5432 degrees Fahrenheit).  Even after witnessing hoards of people boiled alive while trying to escape such a storm, the Japanese continued to fight.  Stranded on an island, the Japanese could do little damage without transportation (eyewitnesstohistory.com/tokyo).
          The Japanese were a resilient people.  Even after the mass destruction occurring on their own soil, they continued to fight.  As part of “Operation Ten-Go” on April 6th, 1945, the Japanese launched an attack of 700 kamikaze planes against a US fleet and succeeded in destroying 13 ships.  In April, the Japanese Air Force lost 2,280 training planes piloted by 16 year old boys due to kamikaze attacks; effectively depleting their air force (spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWkamikaze.htm).
     At one point the Japanese had the third largest navy in the world: 10 aircraft carriers, 100 destroyers, 18 heavy cruisers and 18 light cruisers (ibiblio.org/pha/pha), but after June 1942 and their loss at Midway, the Japanese navy was also destroyed.  Without planes or ships, the Japanese posed little immediate threat and a significant amount of time would be needed to rebuild.
     The only Japanese military force that remained strong and actually grew in size were the armed forces. In 1945, there were five and a half million soldiers in the army deployed throughout Asia, but the army, like the navy and air force, lacked supplies and due to lack of transportation, they couldn’t attack.
    The Japanese were a people of proud ignorance and many believed that they would continue to fight until there wasn’t an able-bodied human being left to fight.  After seeing their cities destroyed, their people turned into a blackened ash, their military blasted back to the Stone Age and the realization that after Germany was destroyed, the Allies would turn full force on them; Japanese officials realized that it was time to admit defeat. The Americans had already cracked the codes encrypting Japanese messages and knew that the Japanese were trying to surrender on their own terms; even the emperor himself was communicating with Soviet Union expressing his wish to have them help in his surrender.  This was kept secret from the public for many months after the final surrender; Japanese leaders had actually given five separate surrender overtures to American officials that were nearly identical to the final terms accepted by the Allies (Blum).
    At this point in time, Japan posed absolutely no threat and had a genuine wish to surrender, however there was a significant obstacle in their way and the Americans knew it.  The Japanese would not submit to an unconditional surrender because it would disturb a Japanese tradition 2,600 thousand years old.  By surrendering unconditionally, the emperor, an heir to a 2,600 year old dynasty and a man viewed to be a living god by his people, would lose his power. “America's leaders understood Japan's desperate position: the Japanese were willing to end the war on any terms, as long as the Emperor was not molested. If the US leadership had not insisted on unconditional surrender -- that is, if they had made clear a willingness to permit the Emperor to remain in place -- the Japanese very likely would have surrendered immediately, thus saving many thousands of lives” (Weber).
     Unfortunately, that same logic was applied on August 6, 1945 when President Truman ordered the Enola Gay to drop the first atomic bomb nicknamed “Little Boy” on Hiroshima with the hope that it would end the war and save thousands of lives.  A war crime in-and-of-itself, Little Boy detonated 1,900 feet above a church in Hiroshima, killing roughly seventy thousand civilians in an instant, injuring another seventy thousand, and leaving the survivors to deal with the after effects of radiation poisoning (encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia).
    Drunk with power, little thought was given as the US airships continued to pour bombs on the heads of helpless Japanese civilians for another two days. Then,  “At 11 o'clock in the morning of August 9, Prime Minister Kintaro Suzuki addressed the Japanese Cabinet: Under the present circumstances I have concluded that our only alternative is to accept the Potsdam Proclamation and terminate the war. Moments later, the second bomb fell on Nagasaki. Some hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians died in the two attacks; many more suffered terrible injury and permanent genetic damage. After the war, His Majesty the Emperor still sat on his throne, and the gentlemen who ran the United States had absolutely no problem with this. They never had” (Blum).
    The suggestion made by the previous quote is truly disturbing, but not terribly farfetched.  It seems that the true purpose of the bombings of these civilian populated cities was not only to put an end to the war, but it also to give America a chance to flex its newly obtained hegemonic muscles; a chance to show the rest of the world its new $2,000,000,000 toy.  General Dwight Eisenhower said in this quote, "Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary. ... I thought our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of face. The secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude, almost angrily refuting the reasons I gave for my quick conclusions" (Blum).
    By the time the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan posed no viable threat to any of the allied forces and there was a significant amount of evidence at the time showing that they were trying to negotiate their surrender.  Had the Americans given diplomacy more time, it is my belief that no atomic weapon would have been needed.  Had diplomacy not worked, a demonstration of the atomic bomb in a non-populated area would have certainly given the Japanese government reason to surrender. "The discovery of nuclear chain reactions need not bring about the destruction of mankind any more than did the discovery of matches. We only must do everything in our power to safeguard against its abuse. Only a supranational organization, equipped with a sufficiently strong executive power, can protect us." (famousquotesandquotations.com)

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2008-01-07 21:00:48)

Rubix-Cubes
+123|6664|UK
As i sat there all alone
body slowly turned to stone
what was that fear i held so near
i could feel my soul dissapear

my eyes are dark my skin gone grey
i know that i wont see the day
i see a medic far away
i dont want to die this way

please mum be proud of me
when i joined dad was so happy
brother & sister cheerd with glee
as i went of to fight for another country

its almost here i can now feel the fear
one more death wont make a diffrence this year
im just another marine thats dies out here
but dont worry mum, we will meet up when your up here

took me about 10 mins to write, not the best, but i thought that i would give this challange ago.

god bless all soldiers that are currently doing there duty for the western world

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard