Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6662
https://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8751/d1r7ssz0rzxacksnp1.jpg

The first proper racing game I've played in a while: realistic handling, a great damage system, and finally a game that doesn't look worse than GT4. In fact, it looks incredible at times, but you will need a decent rig to run it. The above SS is resized from 1280x800, with medium/low-ish settings. That gets me around 20-30 FPS most of the times, and I'm running on an x1950pro, 2GB ram, and a C2d 4300. As it's a racing game though, lower FPS is not so bothersome.

one of DiRT's biggest plus points is that there's a real feeling of speed, which most racing games lack. So racing through a forest at 100+ km/h really does get exciting (especially when one mistake will leave you with half a car left). DiRT's main problem is the lack of multiplayer. The AI is good, but it could never beat pushing, say, Kyle to a fiery death off the top of pike's peak There IS an online mode, but you can only do it rally style, so its basically a time trial. On top of that, you can't actually choose what you're going to race with: The track and vehicles are randomised. It's a real letdown as proper multiplayer could've made this game last a few months instead of weeks. However, if you look past the lack of multiplayer, DiRT is exciting and actually fun, which is rare amongst sim games. I highly recommend it.

Any other fans in the crowd?

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2007-08-08 14:46:07)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

I love it. It's beautiful and fun. I run it on an 8800GTS and it looks fantastic!

Great game. Am I right in thinking it has a DX10 mode too.....
Volatile
+252|6714|Sextupling in Empire

I've been looking at this game the last couple days considering whether to get it or not. I'll probably pick it up next week when I get a new video card. I've read that you need a high spec system to run this game, and the OP confirms this.

What do you guys use for the racing games? Gamepad? If so, is there one in particular that is recommended?

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-08-08 15:23:09)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

What do you guys use for the racing games? Gamepad? If so, is there one in particular that is recommended?
I use an Xbox 360 pad - it's good.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6662
I'm forced to use my keyboard I tried my extreme 3d pro joystick, but it just wasn't right. And my PS2 controller doesn't exactly fit in a USB port, so I'm stuck to lameness.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Microwave
_
+515|6664|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Get a logitech G25, I'm saving for one at the moment!
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6540
I tried the game but on my current rig it runs awfully bad and freezes randomly.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6458

I heard the Multiplayer sucks though? It's not really like racing with other cars...am I right?
Volatile
+252|6714|Sextupling in Empire

Bertster7 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

You can plug a 360 pad into your PC? Or are you making jokes?
Private_Adam
Medic since 1942
+245|6661|United States
I will be getting this game on xbox 360 because my graphics card is horrible.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6700|Devon, England

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Of course you can.

I think you download some drivers from Microsoft, but it works.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6551|Winterpeg, Canada
i played nfs most wanted for a while, got myself an xbox360 controller as well. Really fun, and multiplayer ain't terrible, but most racing games seem to all lack it.
¦TØP¦straz_mataz
+49|6194

SargeV1.4 wrote:

And my PS2 controller doesn't exactly fit in a USB port
You can get this adapter that you can plug two ( i think two maybe just one) PS2 controllers into and the adapter has a USB plug that you use to plug the adapter into your PC

http://www.kleargear.com/1510.html

Last edited by ¦TØP¦straz_mataz (2007-08-08 16:16:17)

Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6487| Texas
hmm i thought about getting this but wasnt sure wether to get it on the pc or 360. My pc is pretty old (geforce 6600, athlon 3500, 2gb ddr), and i wasnt sure how well it would perform.

suggestions?
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6540

Darkfire wrote:

hmm i thought about getting this but wasnt sure wether to get it on the pc or 360. My pc is pretty old (geforce 6600, athlon 3500, 2gb ddr), and i wasnt sure how well it would perform.

suggestions?
If my which for the most part is similar can be used like a base it will run like shit. Get the 360 version if you can.
tjocka_vita_kisset
The Sweede
+15|6154|Malmö, Sweden
I use the logitech rumblepad, force feedback with ten buttons, not the fanciest or the most expensive but it works great...

Last edited by tjocka_vita_kisset (2007-08-08 17:32:24)

aLeX
.?
+160|6340|:D

I bought it yesterday for the 360.

It's hot, graphics are amazing. My favourite moment so far has to be wrapping a Fiat Punto round a concrete post.. then proceeding to finish the stage (and win) with the radiator hanging out the front.

One of these:

https://static.blogo.it/motorsportblog/Rally_Bulgaria06_28_.jpg

I couldn't find an in-game image. Although the graphics are better than real life.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

FFLink13 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Of course you can.

Don't use the Microsoft drivers! They're rubbish. There are better ones out there.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Bertster7 wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Of course you can.

Don't use the Microsoft drivers! They're rubbish. There are better ones out there.
You could link us to said exalted drivers =p

I might pick this up for the PS3 if it's on that.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

SargeV1.4 wrote:

I'm forced to use my keyboard I tried my extreme 3d pro joystick, but it just wasn't right. And my PS2 controller doesn't exactly fit in a USB port, so I'm stuck to lameness.
It will with a bit of rewiring. Time to get the soldering iron out.....
JT_001
+17|6430|Canada
Get a Logitech MOMO.  How can you dicks play a racing game with a gamepad/joystick/keyboard????
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Hurricane wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

Of course you can.

You could link us to said exalted drivers =p

I might pick this up for the PS3 if it's on that.
OK. They're the XBCD drivers, easy enough to find, but in case you can't here's a link:

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/download.html
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6665|Brisbane, Australia

JT_001 wrote:

Get a Logitech HOMO.  How can you dicks play a racing game with a gamepad/joystick/keyboard????
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland

SargeV1.4 wrote:

DiRT's main problem is the lack of multiplayer. The AI is good, but it could never beat pushing, say, Kyle to a fiery death off the top of pike's peak
Ah, you're just jealous of my driving skills!

I have the game too and I think it is pretty great. The loading times are abysmal, but the user interface is just beautiful. I''m going to use the sandwich technique, as mastered by Stewie in Family Guy.

The graphics are visually stunning. Absolutely wonderful. The windscreen sunshine and cracks make me just want to play on and play on. My main gripe is the arcadia style which I was hoping wouldn't appear in DiRT. What a shame. But, the most wonderful thing of all is the driving experience. Like you said, you rarely get a sense for actual speed in a game, but DiRT has mastered it beautifully. The sand to tarmac effects and so on and excellent.

I've played it on a Momo and a G25, and they are both awesome.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6401|Southern California

JT_001 wrote:

Get a Logitech MOMO.  How can you dicks play a racing game with a gamepad/joystick/keyboard????
TBH from the demo I tried this isn't one I would sweat a wheel for...when I played it didn't feel like much of a "sim"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard