Poll

Do You Support The Death Penalty?

Yes - Kill 'em All!54%54% - 72
No - Put Them In Jail!45%45% - 59
Total: 131
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6124|Carnoustie, Scotland
NOTE: I LOOKED ALL OVER THE FORUMS FOR A SIMILAR POST. FOUND NONE.

Pfft, I hate writing color instead of colour.

In R.E a few weeks ago in school our class got asked this same question, and I was the only one in a class of 31 that said the Death Penalty was just. I then found out after that class that our teacher is part of the Amnesty International Group..

So, Do you support it? Or do you think UK laws are better, and to jail them for "life"? (The average "Life" sentence ends up as 13 years.)

I think they should bring back the Death Penalty to the UK, and keep it in USA, and if it won't come to the UK, then at least make life life.
PureFodder
+225|6277
No. It doesn't appear to deter people and if you find out you convicted the wrong person it's a bit hard to reverse the process.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
I have a slightly hypocritical stance on this one. I voted no and I don't agree with it really in principal but I do believe in personal justice and if someone raped my wife/girlfriend/daughter or killed one of my family (malisciously, I wouldn't be able to kill someone who done it by accident and have a clear conscience) I would kill them.
DooM
+28|6299
Yes. More advatanges than disadvantages to it.

Here in the UK it's a mess. The jails are so packed they are releasing people early just so they can let more in. We have no death penalty or deterence system such as Florida's 3 strike system which is effective.

Also here Life in jail doesn't mean life. Some asian that killed another person got life which was 13 years min. Means they can be let out after 13 years on parole. Life doesn't mean life with no parole here. It's 30 years in jail get out in 15 for good behaviour. Check our jails as well. HD TV's are yet to be put in with the PS3. But at the moment there sitting on your luxury room with heating, a surround sound stereo with a big tv and comfy bed. That's the reality.

Also people actually commit crimes so they can be put in jail here, because jail is more like a hotel reservation (aside all the drop the soap crap). It costs £33,000 a year to keep one inmate in jail. All that cash could be saved if there was a deathpenalty to put them down rather than paying this over and over for the rest of there life.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

No.
Roughshod
I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?
+24|6262|Germany, NRW
No. Just like PureFodder said, if you sentence someone to death and after the execution you find out that you killed the wrong person there is a HUGE problem with no solution.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
No, because of the possibility that someone innocent could be sent to the gallows and because life imprisonment with no chance of release is more of a punishment.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

DooM wrote:

Yes. More advatanges than disadvantages to it.

Here in the UK it's a mess. The jails are so packed they are releasing people early just so they can let more in. We have no death penalty or deterence system such as Florida's 3 strike system which is effective.

Also here Life in jail doesn't mean life. Some asian that killed another person got life which was 13 years min. Means they can be let out after 13 years on parole. Life doesn't mean life with no parole here. It's 30 years in jail get out in 15 for good behaviour. Check our jails as well. HD TV's are yet to be put in with the PS3. But at the moment there sitting on your luxury room with heating, a surround sound stereo with a big tv and comfy bed. That's the reality.

Also people actually commit crimes so they can be put in jail here, because jail is more like a hotel reservation (aside all the drop the soap crap). It costs £33,000 a year to keep one inmate in jail. All that cash could be saved if there was a deathpenalty to put them down rather than paying this over and over for the rest of there life.
2 points in reaction to your above post...

1. Did you just imply that prison is not that bad ...except for the whole anal rape thing?

2. What about people who turn out later to be innocent? That is one of the main reasons I oppose it, the irreversible nature of it as a punishment.

I actually thinks prisons ARE too cosy for prisoners today but I couldn't possibly be as flippant about male rape.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ

PureFodder wrote:

No. It doesn't appear to deter people and if you find out you convicted the wrong person it's a bit hard to reverse the process.
The man ^^^ speaks the truth.
ƒ³
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51
Why would you waste, jail space, and money on foods/clothing to keep someone alive for his entire life, whilst you can also kill him.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6576|England
Yes.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

And all those, "no its the easy way out" people, what do you really think is the worse - being able to live with food, water and warmth or not being here at all.

Though of course, the person must be guilty beyond any doubt.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

No, because of the possibility that someone innocent could be sent to the gallows and because life imprisonment with no chance of release is more of a punishment.
DNA, is rapidly making that first part of your argument moot.

As for your second argument,you are taking the outside looking in approach, you are not involved in the case. You think it is perfectly fine to let the killer of someone else's child sit in prison able to breathe, but I doubt you would feel the same for the killer of yours.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6397|NSW, Australia

my theory is, if you take a life your life should be taken
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6645|pimelteror.de
- death penalty costs more, then prison.
- there are too many innocents, getting toasted
- death penalty doesn´t deter the criminals from crime
- when someone ends up in prison, many other social systems failed before that. improve those!
- justice is not about revenge.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6554|British Columbia, Canada
No.

Because if I was in prison for life, I would rather get zapped then stay there. I think Life in Prison is worse then the Death Penalty..
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

LT.Victim wrote:

No.

Because if I was in prison for life, I would rather get zapped then stay there. I think Life in Prison is worse then the Death Penalty..
That's my thinking too ...I'd rather take the get out early ticket.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

- when someone ends up in prison, many other social systems failed before that. improve those!
-stats please
-stats please
-shouldn't be meant as a deterent it is supposed to be punishment.
-personal responsibility, not social welfare is the key.
-justice is exactly about revenge, restitution, or whatever else you wanna call it. People are meant to pay for their crimes. It shouldn't be about rehab, it should be punisment.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-stats please
-stats please
-justice is exactly about revenge, restitution, or whatever else you wanna call it. People are meant to pay for their crimes. It shouldn't be about rehab, it should be punisment.
I agree with lowing on his last point.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6124|Carnoustie, Scotland

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

It costs $33,000 a year to keep ONE prisoner in jail for ONE year. I doubt that the cost of a few drugs in a syringe exceeds that.

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-there are too many innocents, getting toasted
This is really the only argument that people can use. Although, someone has to be blamed, right?

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-death penalty doesn't always deter the criminals from crime
I tell you, I would probably have more chance of going after revenge if there was no death penalty that if there was one.

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-when someone ends up in prison, many other social systems failed before that. improve those!
The Death Penalty is an improvement on Prison!

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-justice is not about revenge.
If someone killed your child, wife, girlfriend, mother, someone you loved, would you want them punished?

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2007-07-30 04:20:50)

TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6620|Muenster, Germany

lowing wrote:

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-stats please
-stats please
-death penalty costs more, then prison.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article … amp;scid=7

-When comparisons are made between states with the death penalty and states without, the majority of death penalty states show murder rates higher than non-death penalty states. The average of murder rates per 100,000 population in 1999 among death penalty states was 5.5, whereas the average of murder rates among non-death penalty states was only 3.6.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article … mp;did=167

-crime punishment are meant as a deterrent to prevent crime !

-personal responsibility must be learned - a process, that should come out of the social environment and the social system

-no, justice is not about revenge - justice originally is thought as help for lots of people to live together.
justice should be for the people, not against them !

Last edited by TodErnst (2007-07-30 04:54:12)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6444|Cambridge, UK

Yes - but only in very very few cases.

- The crime must be extreme (Such as multiple pre-meditated murder, systematic torture physical and/or mental)
- The evidence must be black and white: i.e. multiple eye witnesses, crystal clear video evidence, etc

I also believe it should be given as an option for those that have no expectation of ever being let out
And it should be totally painless: i.e. happy drugs then sleep drugs then the kill drugs.
Balok77
+28|6140
im sorry i have to quote this again

"An eye for an eye and we would all be blind."

No man should have the power over another mans life, prison is a better option as it keeps them alive full knowing what they have done. I have always beleived suicide is the easy way out, keeping the person alive makes sure that they live with all the consequences of their actions and maybe will make them regret their decision in time.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
No.

I do not believe in taking life for 'justice'.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

TodErnst wrote:

lowing wrote:

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

-stats please
-stats please
-death penalty costs more, then prison.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article … amp;scid=7

-When comparisons are made between states with the death penalty and states without, the majority of death penalty states show murder rates higher than non-death penalty states. The average of murder rates per 100,000 population in 1999 among death penalty states was 5.5, whereas the average of murder rates among non-death penalty states was only 3.6.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article … mp;did=167

-crime punishment are meant as a deterrent to prevent crime !

-personal responsibility must be learned - a process, that should come out of the social environment and the social system

-no, justice is not about revenge - justice originally is thought as help for lots of people to live together.
justice should be for the people, not against them !
Good post: I asked and you provided.

Here is the thing, I think it is unreasonable to assume that people base their decision to kill a person on weather or not they will get the DP or not. Anyone crazy or irrational enough to commit such acts would not be coherent enough to reason that they better not cut this little girl into a million pieces because they might get executed. Or reason, sure, I might as well cut this girl into a million pieces because there is no DP in this state anyway. I doubt it works that way.

I know what justice is all about, I see lady justice with the blind fold on. Although I think a more proper statue would be lady justice with a blindfold on and her hand held out waiting to accept payment for justice.

You learn personal responsibility, or should, as a kid and young adult. If you read more of my posts you will see I do not endorse spoon feeding criminals and those that have no sense of responsibility.

Justice does not help us live together, that is moralities job. Justice is there when morality fails us. There for it is meant to pay someone for the wrong that has been done onto them. IE revenge, restitution.etc Whatever you wanna call it. I do not having a single PC bone in my body so will call it revenge.

Justice IS for the people, it should not be FOR the criminals.

I posted earlier that DNA is taking away all doubt as to who did what at a crime scene. IF murderers DNA was the clue to solving a crime, time to go to sleep, which is probably better than the option the criminal gave his victim(s)

+1 for a good argument

Last edited by lowing (2007-07-30 06:32:45)

PureFodder
+225|6277

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

DNA, is rapidly making that first part of your argument moot.

As for your second argument,you are taking the outside looking in approach, you are not involved in the case. You think it is perfectly fine to let the killer of someone else's child sit in prison able to breathe, but I doubt you would feel the same for the killer of yours.
How about the other way round when the accused is your kid and you know they must be innocent, wouldn't you want them to rot in a cell with the possibility of being proved innocent later instead of being killed now?

Hence why it's a damned good job that the victims and their loved ones have absolutely no say whatsoever in the punishment of criminals.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard