Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6649

Ok, Ok, Flame me if you like, ridicule me if you like but, I know some of our BF2S community has read this final book. I only recently finished reading the book (Like 5 minutes ago). And now I would like to know what you guys thought of the book.

Well did you like it? What didn't you like? <--(No sarcy remarks such as: I didn't like the whole book at all, etc.)

By The Way:My Flame suit is on.
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6598|MANCHESTERRR
it was brilliant.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6796|Great Brown North
it felt rushed
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6649

krazed wrote:

it felt rushed
You know what... I thought that too. She (JK Rowling) could have made the book longer, but never the less it was all in all an intriguing novel
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6598|MANCHESTERRR

krazed wrote:

it felt rushed
yeah, there were some parts that did feel rushed, but still a fantastic book
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6706|Tampa Bay Florida
I thought the majority of the book was excellent.  The takeover of the ministry, and the country, and the ensuing resistance, was perfectly written and was very cool to me.

spoilers--

The ending felt a bit bland to me though.  It was such a great book, but the final few chapters felt rushed, and was predictable to me.  I mean, Snape dying to help Harry kill Voldemort was probably the most predictable thing that was expected to happen, plotwise. 

A better ending would have been to have Harry wake up somewhere in London, with no scar, and no memory of what had happened (due to him being the final horcrux).  Then you would see all the main "good" characters passing by Harry on the street, obviously to see him one more time before he moved on into the muggle world... oh well
DemonAlucard
+2|6490|Laredo,Texas USA
meh...i don't have time reading the book..though i read chapter summerys.... whats up with killing alot of characters...damn  most of them didnt really needed to be killed off like that, except for the main 2.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6612
I thought that the novel was very well written for a "Children's Book".  I definitely thought that it was the best of the series, for it pinned the world against Harry, Hermione and Ron; except for the small resistance they had at their disposal.  The beginning was very good, contained lots of action and expanded the plot greatly.

The middle was THE SINGLE MOST BORING PART OF ANY OF THE SERIES!  Immediately after Ron left Hermione and Harry by themselves to camp around in the woods was incredibly dull, slow and unimportant.  The most exciting thing that happened was when Griphook and the others came close to Harry and Hermione's tent and Harry used extendable ears to listen to them.  This uneventful part of the story lasted almost 150 pages and GOD was it boring.

The ending was amazing.  The battle/plot twists that Rowling laid really kept me wanting to keep reading until I finished it.  I loved the end.

Epilogue - Excited me only because they all banged the shit out of each other and had lots of kids, other than that it seemed arbitrary and unimportant.
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6465|Newcastle NSW Australia
I loved the book although like Alucard said alot of characters were killed unnecessarily. The ending was cool though and alot of the rumours about the ending came true in a way.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6661|Ohio
ya it was pretty good. but the end was fairly predictable, but with the whole deathly hallows and dumbledore's past thrown in it was still really interesting.
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6598|MANCHESTERRR

Spearhead wrote:

I thought the majority of the book was excellent.  The takeover of the ministry, and the country, and the ensuing resistance, was perfectly written and was very cool to me.

spoilers--

The ending felt a bit bland to me though.  It was such a great book, but the final few chapters felt rushed, and was predictable to me.  I mean, Snape dying to help Harry kill Voldemort was probably the most predictable thing that was expected to happen, plotwise.
Snape didnt die to help Harry.

Voldermort killed him to assume control over the elder wand.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6469|Ontario, Canada
someone explain what happened to harry after he died, i was confused at to where they were and such.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6796|Great Brown North
predictable, things that should have been long werent, things that shouldnt have been were >.<
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6755|Toronto | Canada

d4rkst4r wrote:

someone explain what happened to harry after he died, i was confused at to where they were and such.
Voldemort used Harry's blood to make his body in GoF which made a bond between them (A gleam of triumph was seen in Dumbledore's eye when he heard Harry's blood was used to revive Voldemort).  This bond made it so that Voldemort could not kill Harry.  Also, Harry was the true owner of the Elder wand since Draco defeated Dumbledore and Harry defeated Draco, and therefore the wand would not work against its true owner (this is why the Cruciatus curse didn't hurt Harry).  When Avada Kedarva was used on Harry by Voldemort it killed the Horcrux inside Harry that was placed there when Voldemort tried to kill Harry.  Harry, being the master of Death by having the three Deathly Hallows had the choice to return to life or "go on" and die.  He chose to return and ended up using the Elder Wand to reflect Voldemort's spell against him, killing him.

Edit:  And btw, I thought it was an awesome book.  The beginning and end were fantastic and the middle was necessary to close all the loose ends of the series.

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2007-07-23 20:29:53)

WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6268|Spacetime

Gooners wrote:

krazed wrote:

it felt rushed
You know what... I thought that too. She (JK Rowling) could have made the book longer, but never the less it was all in all an intriguing novel
Hey how many pages was it?
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6469|Ontario, Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

d4rkst4r wrote:

Voldemort used Harry's blood to make his body in GoF which made a bond between them (A gleam of triumph was seen in Dumbledore's eye when he heard Harry's blood was used to revive Voldemort).  This bond made it so that Voldemort could not kill Harry.  Also, Harry was the true owner of the Elder wand since Draco defeated Dumbledore and Harry defeated Draco, and therefore the wand would not work against its true owner (this is why the Cruciatus curse didn't hurt Harry).  When Avada Kedarva was used on Harry by Voldemort it killed the Horcrux inside Harry that was placed there when Voldemort tried to kill Harry.  Harry, being the master of Death by having the three Deathly Hallows had the choice to return to life or "go on" and die.  He chose to return and ended up using the Elder Wand to reflect Voldemort's spell against him, killing him.

Edit:  And btw, I thought it was an awesome book.  The beginning and end were fantastic and the middle was necessary to close all the loose ends of the series.
thanks, +1 to you

as for the book, i thought it was a little boring and repetitive about 1/3 through the book, but then it got really good.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
agent146
+127|6403|Jesus Land aka Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

d4rkst4r wrote:

heck dont' wished to be flamed but i had said this before and i will say it again: harry should have grabbed a gun instead. but that kinda defeats the purpose of the books then....
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6755|Toronto | Canada

agent146 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

d4rkst4r wrote:

heck dont' wished to be flamed but i had said this before and i will say it again: harry should have grabbed a gun instead. but that kinda defeats the purpose of the books then....
A gun that could easily be disarmed, destroyed, jammed etc by a wand... wouldn't work.
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6248
My cousin asked me what I thought of the book and all I could say was "perfect."  I'm an extremely slow reader (damn dyslexia) and it took me around 20 hours to finish it, but it really seemed like the time flew by.  It's starting to sink in that there won't be another book, and it kind of sucks.  But honestly, I couldn't be happier with the final installment. 

(SPOILERS)

Some of you guys said that it was slow through the middle parts, but I didn't really think so.  With the other books, it would basically take most of the book to lead up to the final five or so chapters where there would be a lot of action.  But with this one, there was action all throughout.  First there was the Ministry break-in, then there was the trip to Godric's Hollow, followed by the capture and sequence at the Malfoy's, and the Gringott's burglary, which really led into the whole final sequence at Hogwarts.  Not to mention the trip to the Burrow, trip to the Lovegood's, etc.  Yes, there were a couple chapters where not much really seemed to happen, but I think that those parts were kind of meant to make the reader feel as restless as the characters.  And compared to the other books in the series, this one had an extraordinary amount of fast-paced, life or death parts.  Just my thoughts.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6767|the middle of nowhere
So.... This is the last book? I've only read 1-4 a loooooong time ago. My sister reads them though.
DemonAlucard
+2|6490|Laredo,Texas USA
you know when i first saw the chick with the color changing hair in order of the phoenix movie..i was like..damn she better not die....and she did...
i still cant believe one of the Weasley twins died too...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

The ending was amazing.  The battle/plot twists that Rowling laid really kept me wanting to keep reading until I finished it.  I loved the end.
QFE!
0akleaves
+183|6630|Newcastle UK
I thought it was excellent i managed to read it in just under 3 hours which i was happy about but im starting it agian it was that good. Shame bout fred, tonks and lupin like but if there is a book as she said there might be in 10 years or so it would be the kids not harry.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6485

Winston_Churchill wrote:

agent146 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

A gun that could easily be disarmed, destroyed, jammed etc by a wand... wouldn't work.
A gun shoots faster than a wand though.

Abr - BOOM - HEADSHOT
Kommander_Kale
Genetically Modified
+19|6432|Melbourne, Australia

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

agent146 wrote:

A gun shoots faster than a wand though.

Abr - BOOM - HEADSHOT
Protego (said in head to reduce time) /fail

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard