Pisacis
+1|6378|UK
I'm aware this is an age-old debate, but selfishly I just wanted some personal interaction with others regarding gun laws and whatnot. So even if this is retreading infinitely covered old ground, fresh debate rarely leads to increased ignorance - it'll be an elucidating discussion for all. Hopefully.

Anyway, my question (and, it has to be said, it goes out mainly to Americans) is simple. How can you justify owning a personal firearm? My personal point of view is that violence begets violence, and the problem is a reactionary, reciprocal one. Between the police, gangs and deranged rednecks, pissing contests over who has the biggest weapon (intentional AND hilarious) lead to people owning M-16s and shit like that. If no-one had these guns in the first place, no-one else would feel the need to go get one for themselves. I know it's a naive position to hold, but if purchasing guns - based on the assumption that a nationwide armistice is impossible - was better controlled, then we wouldn't see the kind of things that are freakishly common in the states.

This leads me on to my second point: massacres. Just go to Wikipedia and look up the "2006 School shooting outbreak", and articles on Columbine, Virginia Tech... the list goes on. If these kids hadn't been able to get their ammo at the fucking supermarket, maybe the thought wouldn't have crossed their minds. How many times have European schoolkids got a little pissed off at the world and killed 30 peers and teachers? That's a rhetorical question.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pretend that I'm being original or groundbreaking or even clever by bringing this up, it's just something I'd like to see discussed in a manner I can take a personal interest in. And on a forum for a video-game in which you shoot people for fun, it's an interesting backdrop to such a question.

Anyway, go wild.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551
Prediction: 17 pages of tit-for-tat circular arguments.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6552|Kent, UK

CameronPoe wrote:

Prediction: 17 pages of tit-for-tat circular arguments.
yuh-huh, can of worms comes to mind
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina
Prediction: 10 pages of flaming today.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire
People who own guns have small penises. Thread over

...now where did I put that flame proof suit?
MECtallica
+73|6500|jalalabad
Prediction: 18 pages of tit-for-tat circular arguments
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6189|Schofield Barracks
i dont own any guns at all but i have an airsoft gun its fun to shoot
my Friends dad has some guns and its fun to shoot targets he keeps em all locked up in a huge safe and if u just gonna shoot targets then how does that harm anyone?
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6449|Ontario, Canada
id like to hear parker's view on this.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6552|Kent, UK
rofl, everyone's so pissed off with this debate that we're all saying that there's going to be flamewars etc, but there will be none cos we're all predicting them.

i can't be bothered to make that into a coherant sentence, either. it was an ad-lib thing
IrishWind
+4|6705
Wow.  You are wrong on so many levels here, my mind is buzzing with so many ideas on where to even begin.
Mr Troll, go back to playing Tetris or solitare and leave the big boys alone with their grown up toys.
HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6722|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA
I predict 3 pages of predictions, 1 page of debate and 5 pages of flaming posts.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6552|Kent, UK

HeadShotAK47 wrote:

I predict 3 pages of predictions, 1 page of debate and 5 pages of flaming posts.
and a partridge in a pear tree?
Thats if some gun-toting american doesn't blast it first
jord
+2,382|6673|The North, beyond the wall.
I'll get it started. To make myself look clever...

Hunting.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6552|Kent, UK

jord wrote:

I'll get it started. To make myself look clever...

Hunting.
Oh noes! the dears!
specops10-4
+108|6738|In the hills
Many people like to own guns cause they are fun to shoot.  It is pretty impressive holding that much power in your little hands.  I am sure that if you guys went to a range, you would love just shooting around, and at targets. 

I don't really like the idea of guns for self defense, but they certainly are useful.  I really would love to own a gun, but I never have, and probably never will.  I went to the range and shot a few rounds, it was very fun!  That is how I justify them, they are fun.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6537|Texas - Bigger than France
I predict 8 pages of "Search"
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6544|San Diego, CA, USA
Criminals, by their very nature, do not follow the law.  So even if you tried to stop all guns the criminals will still use them (they'll import them for example).  Force can only be defeated by greater force.  You can only make it harder, not impossible for criminals to get guns.

What if you were a criminal and knew that 20% of the people in the 7-11 you are about to rob have a gun and are willing to use it?  Would you find an easier target somewhere else?

Weapons can be used as a deterant. 

Law abiding citizens should be allowed to own guns (and personally should be allow concealment licenses).

We also have guns to protect ourselves from our government and foreign invaders if it ever came to that.

One day we will have guns that have biometric locks (that will be requried), built in so we won't have as many children die from accidental shootings.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6680|United States of America

Pisacis wrote:

My personal point of view is that violence begets violence,.....
Stop right there. A gun alone is not violent by any means. A person could go out and aquire every single weapon known to man and not be violent. The violence starts when there is an intent to cause bodily harm upon a person with said firearm, rocket launher, anti-tank mine, or MOAB. There are plenty of gun owners who aren't violent, a group that may very well be the majority. People have seen too many movies when those who have guns are the bad people because a firearm has no other purpose other than to kill humans.....

Hunting, display, target practice, Martian invasion
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6544|San Diego, CA, USA
I wonder how many people in New Orleans after Katrina wish they had a gun?  Or if someone had a gun in the Virginia Tech Massacre to stop the manic who killed 33 people...
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6292|Bloomington Indiana
the only firearm i own is a german ww2 mauser..and its sole purpose is to target shoot with.  its fun to do.  plus its an amazing piece of history to own.  I do not keep ammo in the same house as the rifle...so i cant even use it for self defense if needed *excluding strapping the bayonet to it or clubbing someone with the butt*

i will probably never own a gun for the purpose of self defense, but thats me.  I have a friend who owns a pistol and carries it with him everywhere for self defense....but i understand his position for doing so because he was mugged at gunpoint by a guy with a gun when he was 15...a struggle ensued and the mugger was shot. 

normal citizens should be able to defend themselves when faced with someone who has no intention of following the law.
jonsimon
+224|6491

Harmor wrote:

Criminals, by their very nature, do not follow the law.
Harmor does not believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty. To him, criminals are people that have been psychologically doomed to commit a crime from the moment of conception, and the only thing stopping us from arresting them when they are born is our inability to distinguish them from regular good citizens.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6639
insurgents
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6556

Braddock wrote:

Lol...So all IRA's who faught for your freedom have small penises?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

rawls2 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Lol...So all IRA's who faught for your freedom have small penises?
They don't have any guns anymore

Last edited by Braddock (2007-07-23 09:31:52)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard