Braddock
Agitator
+916|6295|Éire
"A High Street bookshop chain is moving an edition of children's favourite Tintin to its adult section following a complaint of racism."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, … 08,00.html

What do you think - political correctness gone mad or a justified decision? I'm interested in hearing certain forum users opinions on this one!

Last edited by Braddock (2007-07-12 06:11:15)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6534|Global Command
Ah man, I thought this was gonna be about OUR Tintin, lol.

"This book contains imagery and words of hideous racial prejudice, where the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles."
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England

News wrote:

"This book contains imagery and words of hideous racial prejudice, where the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles."
That is pretty out of order.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-07-12 06:23:50)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6560
Good old Belgian imperialism. You can't beat pompous European imperialists for raping countries, creating artificial divisions within indigenous populations through political machinations and then leaving them to slaughter each other. The good old days...
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6426|My room
It's true, I have it...they make Africans look like predators that can be tamed like circus animals. Even their trains suck in the book...a train hit Tintin's car, and the train got derailed...
rhinoh2o74
+13|6310|oHIo
Political correctness gone mad.

I wonder what people of today would say if they remade "Blazing Saddles"
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6524|Πάϊ
To my knowledge nobody denies that Tintin is fucking racist.

Last edited by oug (2007-07-12 06:36:23)

ƒ³
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6747|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
haha - haven't looked at the link, but a quid says it's "tintin in the Congo"
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

That was a comedy directed against racist assholes. This Tintin book is seriously making derogatory remarks about Africans - and not for a laugh.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6295|Éire

rhinoh2o74 wrote:

Blazing Saddles took the piss out of racism. I don't really think Tintin had his tongue in his cheek!
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6747|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Oh Yeah! fuck i'm good..
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Why the hell is it even so popular. It looks like shit.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6532|Belgium

It's good. I read it all and even watched the things on tv (I'm a belgian though)

and people overreact. How many movies are made about russians = evil and americans = good. Move them to adult section please. I mean, that would be as dumb as this one.

It's logic that you make the bad guys look ugly and dumb, that's because the hero has to outsmart them.

Read the comics and you'll find it's not racist or offending at all.

(edit: okay appearantly it was not about the bad guys, but still, ... talk like imbeciles. If you go to china/spain/iraq, you also think they talk like imbeciles just because you don't understand a word what they are saying...)

Last edited by De_Jappe (2007-07-12 06:50:57)

wensleydale8
+81|6774|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
Well i have read books which have pheadophila serial killers rape incest racism the lot.

the answer is if you don't like the story or the content why even read the goddamn book, kinda like the jerry springer opera people were complaining about and why would they watch it. 
SO THAT THEY CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT THIS IS THE SAME IDEA DIFFERENT OBJECT.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FhC0J-RJMoM

^^^ that is an example people will watch it to complain.

Last edited by wensleydale8 (2007-07-12 06:53:45)

Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6295|Éire
I like the way they put it in the adult section ...does that mean the adult section is usually filled with racist publications?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

De_Jappe wrote:

It's good. I read it all and even watched the things on tv (I'm a belgian though)

and people overreact. How many movies are made about russians = evil and americans = good. Move them to adult section please. I mean, that would be as dumb as this one.

It's logic that you make the bad guys look ugly and dumb, that's because the hero has to outsmart them.

(edit: okay appearantly it was not about the bad guys, but still, ... talk like imbeciles. If you go to china/spain/iraq, you also think they talk like imbeciles just because you don't understand a word what they are saying...)
So you're saying that the Congoese were the bad guys.... Riiiiighhht.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6532|Belgium

read my edit, you even quoted it.

edit: but my sovjet - congo comparison is still right. I've seen so many movies which say the russians are all evil. No they are not. But these movies, which show boobs, are not even moved to the adult section. So I keep saying: some people just overreact.

Last edited by De_Jappe (2007-07-12 06:56:48)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6295|Éire

De_Jappe wrote:

What? ...I don't think they talk like imbeciles, I think they talk like Chinese/Spanish/Iraqi people.
wensleydale8
+81|6774|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
No im not saying that the congo is bad what m saying is if you dont like the content dont read the book.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6532|Belgium

Braddock wrote:

De_Jappe wrote:

What? ...I don't think they talk like imbeciles, I think they talk like Chinese/Spanish/Iraqi people.
okay that may be true, I apologize for those words. But you also have to know the comic was written in 1930, and at that moment the congo was still a colony of Belgium. Okay, maybe the natives don't look too smart in the comics, but to be honest, they didn't have much education at that moment, which got introduced later on. As harsh as this sound, they didn't have the same education as the europeans at that time so they were less educated, more focussed on aggriculture etc.

Okay, maybe he could have made them look less like monkeys (?) but I state with my point that they overreacted to put it in the adult section, cause I can find thousand of movies and comics, written much later who are more racist than that.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6188|Ireland

ATG wrote:

Holy shit, you just described any number of Rap videos on MTV!!!!!  Did Tintin go to the hood in this book?
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Lotta_Drool wrote:

ATG wrote:

Holy shit, you just described any number of Rap videos on MTV!!!!!  Did Tintin go to the hood in this book?
The_Mac
+96|6230
"OMG WTF guys!???! A comic book that came out what? 50 years ago has teh racist because it shows black peeps talking how they really would talk in a language they really don't speak (for all you liberals who lack reading comprehension: in other words, they're Africans (or Belgianized Africans anyway), why should English be their language?) l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l!!11111 Since we're liberals and we have nothing better to do, Lets teh not let teh k1ddi3s see it!1111!!"

I have read all Tintin books before I turned 11. I'm not racist. These people need to find something to do.

Last edited by The_Mac (2007-07-12 09:01:02)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6771|UK
Guys i got a great idea... Lets fucking cry and moan about everything. I know your with me Poe.

Some people would call me a racist if they heard me talking to my friends... around 40-50% who aren't English and aren't white. So please people... stop crying racism at everything.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

The_Mac wrote:

"OMG WTF guys!???! A comic book that came out what? 50 years ago has teh racist because it shows black peeps talking how they really would talk in a language they really don't speak (for all you liberals who lack reading comprehension: in other words, they're Africans (or Belgianized Africans anyway), why should English be their language?) l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l!!11111 Since we're liberals and we have nothing better to do, Lets teh not let teh k1ddi3s see it!1111!!"

I have read all Tintin books before I turned 11. I'm not racist. These people need to find something to do.
You fucking idiot. They made out the Africans to be people who looked like monkeys and talked like idiots. I can understand the language thing, but to make them look like monkeys is just fucked up.

Seriously, half of your post was incomprehensible. Get the fuck out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard