stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

I have been staring at a performance engine for my Charger for a while now. Just recently, however, I figured out that premo gas will be going up to around $4.20 by the start of summer, and running a car that uses Premium AND only gets 7 miles per gallon might suck.

I am now playing around with an idea to shove a performance diesel engine in there. Does anyone have/ have experience with said engines? I'm trying to gauge price balances and what it would take to get one in there
Ryan
+1,230|6814|Alberta, Canada

I hate diesels. They stink and are very loud.
But on a car, that would be cool. Extra loud.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL
Very expensive engine, and it would need a new exhaust system, which would probably offset any savings on the diesel fuel.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
If your driving a Charger, the price of gas should not be something you worry about.

Diesels are nice, plenty of torque when needed. But as mentioned above, they are loud and have a rather bad odor. Only thing I'd have a diesel in would be a heavy truck for hauling.

Otherwise, I'd stick to gasoline engines.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada
You'll probably spend more on the diesel engine then the savings you'll get from gas...

And btw.. Diesels aren't really all that great..

They are noisy, don't start in the cold, and have way less power off the line then gasoline engines.

Unless your towing a huge trailer, theres no point in a diesel..

If your really worried about gas, why not covert it to propane or something?
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6694|Doncaster, England
Diesel could be OK, you could still put nitrous on it as well 

Finding a powerful one that will fit might be hard.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6567

Ryan wrote:

Your reasoning is perfectly clear.
LT.Victim

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Your reasoning is perfectly clear.
I dunno, I like the sound that gasoline engines make more.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
Thats because in general, gasoline engines run smoother and can rev higher. Thats why they sound difference.

Your going to have a hard time reving a diesel engine over 5,000 RPM without killing the thing.
LT.Victim

BigmacK wrote:

Thats because in general, gasoline engines run smoother and can rev higher. Thats why they sound difference.

Your going to have a hard time reving a diesel engine over 5,000 RPM without killing the thing.
But then you could probably lay rubber in like 3rd with a diesel cause of all the torque they put out.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
Depends on the engine/tranny combination. But it is possible.

Horsepower is another issue. You can get going with a diesel engine, but you won't pick up speed as rapidly across the powerband.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

I've seen a cummings turbo on a challenger beat a Ferrari on the quarter, so its definitely possible.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6723
US diesels are loud and stinky, there are some neat diesels in europe... Why Europe has better diesels? wel becasue diesel is a whole lot cheaper then regular gas and that really helped the development of the diesel engine in the last 20 years.
BMW will soon launch the 2.0 liter diesel with 204 HP and 400 nm pull power.

https://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/732212553636_bmw.jpg

Last edited by delta4bravo*nl* (2007-05-27 11:52:03)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.

stryyker wrote:

I've seen a cummings turbo on a challenger beat a Ferrari on the quarter, so its definitely possible.
True. But that car probably took alot of wrench time to set up.

Got 50 hours of free time?
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6694|Doncaster, England

stryyker wrote:

It is possible, but truck engines are really tall, getting it fit might be hard.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

BigmacK wrote:

stryyker wrote:

True. But that car probably took alot of wrench time to set up.

Got 50 hours of free time?
No. But I do have 5 hours of free time spread out over 10 days.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

stryyker wrote:

Yeah, but how much money was put into it. I doubt it was close to stock.

Adding additional turbos can add at least 5k to project.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-05-27 12:05:16)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
Consider this,

A Cummins 6B 5.9-L Turbo (straight 6) is gonna run you $7000-$10000 depending on the condition of the motor.

as jsnipy said, it's gonna be expensive too.

And stryyker, is there a motor in this car already?
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

It has a 318 in it. Its not my driving car, its my make really fucking sweet car.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
If you want to make it sweet, you can put a 360 under the hood for $5000.

Then it would be a really fucking sweet car.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6501|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
I got a 500 BHP Turbo Diesel engine in my truck but its a no-go for a car.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

BigmacK wrote:

If you want to make it sweet, you can put a 360 under the hood for $5000.

Then it would be a really fucking sweet car.
*cough*440*cough*

And now that i keep thinking about it, I have a camry that i drive normally, so gas isnt going to be an issue. /fail to myself
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

US diesels are loud and stinky, there are some neat diesels in europe... Why Europe has better diesels? wel becasue diesel is a whole lot cheaper then regular gas and that really helped the development of the diesel engine in the last 20 years.
BMW will soon launch the 2.0 liter diesel with 204 HP and 400 nm pull power.

http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/ … 36_bmw.jpg
Yeah, European diesels are a whole other story.

BMW's 3.0 litre diesels are soon going to out perform the gasoline engines the way development is going now.
500NM and ~330HP at the moment and sounds like a roar when you accelerate!
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6359|USA, MICHIGAN
if you have enough cash, stuff a duramax diesel in your car, and if it had wings it could fly!!  the duramax is one BAD ASS engine!!  if done correctly it can beat a lambo in a 1/4 mile.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6316|Twyford, UK

BigmacK wrote:

Why would you WANT to? Diesel engines have a power band low in the RPM range, which is just brilliant for cruising with heavy loads for long periods; low strain on the engine. Petrol engines rev high to use a powerband right the way up there.
Not good for accelerating, unless you use a smaller engine with a turbo. Friend of mine drives a turbo-diesel Mondeo estate, and regularly beats smaller and lighter petrol cars away from the lights due to the power band thing and the kick of the turbo.

In general, diesel engine + muscle car = suboptimal combination, unless you spend a lot of time doing highway speeds. Also, it'd be a crime to replace an american V8 with a diesel, as you'd lose the wonderful burbling noise they have at low RPMs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard