Poll

Immune to reports of deaths in Iraq at this stage?

Yes, the Iraq war is old news, I've become apathetic52%52% - 51
No16%16% - 16
Depends on the news item30%30% - 30
Total: 97
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572
Be honest.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6647|Washington, DC

Depends. If it is, say, something like when those Blackwater guys were dragged through the streets and burned alive, then it always makes me feel a little hit. Something like "Four soldiers killed in an ambush/IED/whatever" doesn't affect me though. I feel terrible for them, but I don't feel terrible myself.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572

Hurricane wrote:

Depends. If it is, say, something like when those Blackwater guys were dragged through the streets and burned alive, then it always makes me feel a little hit. Something like "Four soldiers killed in an ambush/IED/whatever" doesn't affect me though. I feel terrible for them, but I don't feel terrible myself.
Any feelings about Iraqi deaths?
aLeX
.?
+160|6348|:D

I suppose it depends, the article about those guys who strapped themselves to attack helicopters in an extreme rescue attempt got my attention. People are forgetting, I guess it's because the public have no real affect on the war so why would they continue to concern themselves with it?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6724|67.222.138.85
Specifically to Iraq, completely the same, which isn't exactly the most empathetic. I do not want anyone to die, and I am very sorry for every death, but anyone who didn't think this was going to turn out any differently needs to have their head examined. This is a war, and we should be glad we don't have any casualties of a Civil War/World War level.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6647|Washington, DC

CameronPoe wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Any feelings about Iraqi deaths?
I'll be totally honest here: when it comes to insurgents, I pretty much think "Good shootin' boys". When it's done in a disturbing manner, or when civilians die, it makes me feel somewhat bad too. When civilians are blown up in a suicide bombing I feel bad for them, but it doesn't come as much of a surprise. None of the deaths are surprising now, it's just a matter of what exactly happened that makes me feel sick or fine.
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6313|Bloomington Indiana
i just want it done with
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6249
At school, there was a count in the newspaper every day and that was the first thing that I would look at and see if it had risen.  I'll be honest, if there wasn't something that I had right in front of me, I probably would not know on a day to day basis.  But still, when it was there, I did care.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

Hurricane wrote:

I'll be totally honest here: when it comes to insurgents, I pretty much think "Good shootin' boys". When it's done in a disturbing manner, or when civilians die, it makes me feel somewhat bad too. When civilians are blown up in a suicide bombing I feel bad for them, but it doesn't come as much of a surprise. None of the deaths are surprising now, it's just a matter of what exactly happened that makes me feel sick or fine.
Same here, though coalition deaths seem a little closer to home because you're told their names, whereas the Iraqis are simply given a number.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Desensitisation no, my heart still sinks everytime. Surpsrised? Also no. With war comes death. If we lost 90,000 troops in one month I would then be surprised.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
The kidnappings and killings of Iraqis/Coalitions hit home abit because you just know they were tortured before they were killed. But i've gotta admit the bombings don't affect me much. Yeah it's abit sick... even the London bombings didn't affect me as much as i thought it would because i was used to seeing all the Iraq stuff before. Pretty bad...

Like Kmarion said, we have to remember that there were times when it was much, much worse.

I know for sure that nobody cares about Natural Disasters though. 250,000+ killed on the Boxing Day Tsunami in Asia and quite alot killed in Katrina but there wasn't much about those.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Kmarion wrote:

Desensitisation no, my heart still sinks everytime. Surpsrised? Also no. With war comes death. If we lost 90,000 troops in one month I would then be surprised.
You can't compare Iraq to WW2...
Sinn_Ah_Taggh
+15|6438|Norway
Iraqi deaths,American deaths...i honestly don't care anymore...its war,people die! it has always been like that,why should we suddenly care more now?
Just because its in the media?? i dont think so...

i don't See a post on the African casualties in the tribe wars that goes on down there..?!
or a post on how many children that die from famine worldwide,or how many species that we eradicate each year...
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6690|Colorado
I will never be desensitised to it , Our people are dying trying to give the greatest gift there is in the world to a people we have wronged in the past. We must have steadfast patience in this time of shifting political views & not let the campaigns of ambitious wanna be presidents, impatient citizens & a rambling media interfere with our vision for this region. We must not pull out before the Iraqis are ready or there will be dire consequences.

This isn't some friday the 13th movie, I see the names of the people that die everyday & wish they didn't have to sacrifice themselves for someones else's freedom but know that they were sure of their goal & were willing to die for it. It seems that so far in history that if a nation wants to be free they have to fight for it {The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783)} & that even a free nation can fight against itself to purge an ideology that conflicts with freedom {The American Civil War (1861–1865)} even though the south had some valid points but their support of slavery invalidated it.

It is their sacrifice that makes it possible for us to discuss in a rational manner the differing world views {home & abroad} & concerns. Thank you so much.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England

Sinn_Ah_Taggh wrote:

Iraqi deaths,American deaths...i honestly don't care anymore...its war,people die! it has always been like that,why should we suddenly care more now?
Just because its in the media?? i dont think so...

i don't See a post on the African casualties in the tribe wars that goes on down there..?!
or a post on how many children that die from famine worldwide,or how many species that we eradicate each year...
The Media don't even care about Iraq anymore anyway. Over here it's all 24/7 about some missing girl, who didn't even go missing in this country. Laughable (the media attention its getting, not the story itself).
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6554|Chicago
I guess it depends, though I have definetly become less interested in the war since the beginning.

I picked the first choice.
Sinn_Ah_Taggh
+15|6438|Norway

Mekstizzle wrote:

The Media don't even care about Iraq anymore anyway. Over here it's all 24/7 about some missing girl, who didn't even go missing in this country. Laughable (the media attention its getting, not the story itself).
I agree...its getting to fucked up...
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6616|S.C.
I worry more about the war and genocide in central Africa that almost never gets reported, does anybody here know much about the diamond conflicts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661
ive been immune since March 03
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661
i seriously wish some of you could experience the after effects of a VBIED.  its difficult to comprehend how the iraqi people could live on with their lives the way they do.  for that, i have THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR THAT AVERAGE IRAQI MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD THAT JUST WAKES UP AND CONTINUES THEIR DAILY ROUTINE DAMN IT! fuck man that shit pisses me off.  why the hell are people so non chalant about the deaths of human lives.  bring back the draft, at least then we could have a generation of people who havent been sheltered their entire lives and see what the fuck a bullet does to the structural integrity of a human skull.  see how fast religion, politics and love disappear when everything from the neck up turns into lasagna

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-05-13 13:22:11)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6240|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i seriously wish some of you could experience the after effects of a VBIED.  its difficult to comprehend how the iraqi people could live on with their lives the way they do.  for that, i have THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR THAT AVERAGE IRAQI MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD THAT JUST WAKES UP AND CONTINUES THEIR DAILY ROUTINE DAMN IT! fuck man that shit pisses me off.  why the hell are people so non chalant about the deaths of human lives.  bring back the draft, at least then we could have a generation of people who havent been sheltered their entire lives and see what the fuck a bullet does to the structural integrity of a human skull.  see how fast religion, politics and love disappear when everything from the neck up turns into lasagna
I hear ya, National Service/Draft should be brought back into play, teach people better respect of the situations.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6464|Chicago, IL
One soldier dying makes me hate Iraqis even more (if possibe) but 138 civillians killed in a bombong is old news.....
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6675|South West England
I'm just numb to the whole thing, While i'm sorry to hear it happens day by day, It doesnt affect me on any emotional level
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6690|Colorado

M.O.A.B wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I hear ya, National Service/Draft should be brought back into play, teach people better respect of the situations.
I would rather my army a volunteer one , than to force someone into servitude that is not my idea of freedom. It is difficult to comprehend how life there would be for anyone, that is why it's so vital that we not leave before they can defend themselves.
The_Mac
+96|6242

ghettoperson wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You can't compare Iraq to WW2...
They're both wars...aren't they?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard