kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
GuideLinkComments
General Buying TipsHereGeneral buying tips. Written in May 2007, includes all major components
DirectX 10.0 InformationHereA full information thread and card recommendations on DirectX 10.0
CoolingHereA very informative cooling guide for your PC
Firefox CustomizationHereMy Firefox is better than yours! A comprehensive customization guide and recommended plugins
Power Supply GuideHereA guide on understanding power supplies and recommendations for certain budgets

Before you all go crazy, this is a guide! The title is indeed true, but that's not the current objective. Firefox can be customized in SO many ways! I've decided to share some of my Firefox skills to you all! Starting from common commands to plug-ins you just HAVE to have.

i. Make Firefox Faster! Many of you know already, but to those who don't know, you can make Firefox run a lot quicker and using less memory by just editing a few lines in your config! It's not difficult, just follow these instructions and your Firefox will be faster:

Code:

- Type 'about:config' in the URL bar;
- Set network.http.pipelining to true;
- Set network.http.proxy.pipelining to true;
- Set network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to a number around 30-50; (X requests at a time)
- New > Integer. Call it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set its value to 0. (This means it waits 0 seconds before loading)
ii. Plug-ins! There are thousands of plug-ins available for Firefox, but I only have a few necessary ones that absolutely everyone should have:

- AdBlock - AdBlock allows you to block any images you want, which can make loading times quicker (Personal Note: Many of you are aware that I use these daily on most signatures, they work on anything and you should definitely use it on signatures that you hate, or even images);

- AdBlock Plus - AdBlock Plus utilizes features of AdBlock and does even more! Just has some more features and is more reliable, although I've yet to find a single fault with the original AdBlock;

- Filterset.G - This nifty little plug-in works along with AdBlock, and blocks annoying Google Sidebar images, stupid messages along the sides of webpages etc. Seriously increases loading time of some pages. Blocks most known ads automatically as soon as they are detected! Synchronizes with AdBlock;

- Menu Editor - Gives you the choice to customize how Firefox looks visually, see screenshots below for how I've done mine!

- Video Downloader - Allows you to download YouTube videos, Google videos, iFilm - you name it! An absolutely fantastic, must have add-on if you are a frequent online video user.

ii. Save Firefox windows and tabs! So many people do not do this and I have no idea why, when it saves SO much hassle! It really is easier than counting to 3, but so many people still do not do it! Save yourself time, and do this now if you haven't already:

Code:

- Tools > Options
- Under 'When Firefox tarts', ensure it is set to 'Show my windows and tabs from last time'
iii. Customizing Firefox to your taste! - I love as much viewing space, as little clutter and a generally nice GUI (general user interface). In conjunction with Menu Editor, I've customized Firefox to my liking! You can do it anyway, but I guarantee you'll love mine:

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/firefoxcustomized.png

With numerous more plug-ins available, you really can customize Firefox in so many ways! I recommend you try anything you like - worst case, you can always undo what you've done unless you've completely screwed Firefox! Although I'm sure if you post nicely here or in the tech section, someone will help you!

- The Adblocker.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-06-28 08:01:17)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Sticky? Oh, and +1
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

What the hell do you do about bookmarks? I need my bookmarks or I can't easily find the manual on activating our Firestorm shield in Hammerfest
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6413|Stealth City, UK

Hurricane wrote:

What the hell do you do about bookmarks? I need my bookmarks or I can't easily find the manual on activating our Firestorm shield in Hammerfest
Isn't faster fox exactly the same as changing that code?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Not sure if it adds the extra Integer etc. Bookmarks ftl, History ftw!
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
And you can get the same appearance as yours by pressing F11?

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-05-11 12:32:21)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

buLLet_t00th wrote:

And you can get the same as your desktop by pressing F11?
Excuse me?
FredFLQ
S0tp R4p1nG u5!!1one
+47|6501|Donnacona, Quebec
Nice post.
+1
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

And you can get the same as your desktop by pressing F11?
Excuse me?
Its a good guide but you could take the code bit out and put Faster Fox in and tell everyone about F11 being the same as you changing the way your Firefox looks.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
F11? Full Screen? AWFUL. Windowed mode is just MUCH better.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Got Spiderzilla?

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-05-11 12:36:52)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Why would I need that?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

Why would I need that?
Why would I need Menu editor....when you've got F11?

F11 is so MUCH better.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-05-11 12:41:39)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
F11 Fails
Windowed Mode ftw
Menu Editor ftw
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

leetkyle wrote:

Why would I need that?
You can rip a whole site to disk ... lets say for example you find a site with 1000 zip files on it you wanted, it would recursively crawl through the site and dump the content to disk.

You can set it to follow links n deep or follow external links ... quite useful

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-05-11 12:42:41)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

F11 Fails
Windowed Mode ftw
Menu Editor ftw
F11 is exactly the same as what you are doing, is easier to do, and makes what you're viewing fit the whole page.

F11 FTW.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
*goes to bf2s.com and steals all of it with hax aka spiderzilla*

wouldn't you rather just GO on the web though ;P

@bullet - you don't understand what menu editor does do you? .. look at my firefox, then compare it with f11.. i HOPE you notice a difference

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-05-11 12:43:27)

jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

leetkyle wrote:

You start by going to a site, invoking it through the menu, then it starts to crawl behind the scenes (it is wrapping HTTrack). Its for those cases where you are trying to get content or even duplicate a site locally/ or are packing it for demo.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

@bullet - you don't understand what menu editor does do you? .. look at my firefox, then compare it with f11.. i HOPE you notice a difference
Its got some shitty window round the edge? Why would you want to make it look bad?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Windowed offers more viewing space of your desktop and you can still monitor other applications rather than running it in full screen. In Hurricane's words "Maximized is for movies and games"
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

Windowed offers more viewing space of your desktop and you can still monitor other applications rather than running it in full screen. In Hurricane's words "Maximized is for movies and games"
Then what does yours offer? Apart from some tacky colouring.

Edit: Im not having a go at your post, I think its excellent to tell people about Firefox. I just want to know why thats so great?

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-05-11 12:57:06)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
what are you on about? here is a picture of my desktop, perhaps now you MIGHT understand.. :

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/Untitled.png
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
F11 sucks. F11 takes away everything, except the window you're in (ie. the bottom taskbar that lets you know what programs are open.).

Leetkyle allows you to have what F11 offers, but it DOESN'T TAKE UP THE WHOLE SCREEN. That's what the difference is.

F11 sucks.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

leetkyle wrote:

what are you on about? here is a picture of my desktop, perhaps now you MIGHT understand.. :

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143 … titled.png
Now I see.

I still like F11 though, especially when I'm watching a Video or reading a huuuuuge piece of writing.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-05-11 13:02:02)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
I do have File. All my menus and options and taskbars and so on in one line giving me a lot of viewing space.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard