<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6463|Melbourne - Home of Football
HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) is designed to protect HD DVD's and Blu-Ray Discs from unauthorised copying. After a HDCP key was discovered by a user of the Doom9 forums, the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) consortium sent out letters threatening legal action against those that had posted the key online.

Not only did this fail to scare website owners and bloggers who had posted the key, many of whom could not be legally challenged because their websites are outside of the USA, but the key has spread far and wide online. The AACS consortium's actions have also prompted a number of new and inventive ways of distribution, including: being posted in comment sections; using binary or decimal permutations; or even as far as to make a shopping list using the numbers 9 Oranges, 8 Apples, 9 Pears, 6 Bananas...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31859/118/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Oddly, I've encountered this issue for the first time. With only about 7-8 months of ownership of my blu-ray laptop, WinDVD BD is sending me to update my AACS key. This means I have to go through the hassle of registering at Corel and going through the process of trying to get its website to function correctly (which it isn't) and let me download the 'new' authentication key.

This entire thing is both nonsense and a complete waste of my time. Who downloads HD movies anyway? Even with a cable link, it's not worth the hard drive space or potential BR burn failures.

Thread Necromancy +1
CrazeD
+368|6670|Maine

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Who downloads HD movies anyway? Even with a cable link, it's not worth the hard drive space or potential BR burn failures.
inb4max
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

induringme

of course it's worth it if you have a nice TV. 1080p just looks way better than a standard DVD
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

At four bucks a disc, I'd rather just pay Amazon's usual $15-$25 for the actual movie. Otherwise, any potential 'savings' are a waste of time for me.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

HTPC, PS3 or whatever. Disks are outdated and annoying.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5902|CA

max wrote:

induringme

of course it's worth it if you have a nice TV. 1080p just looks way better than a standard DVD
Agreed.  Watch a 700MB DVD rip, and then watch a 1080p quality right after, the difference is immense.
CrazeD
+368|6670|Maine

TopHat01 wrote:

max wrote:

induringme

Agreed.  Watch a 700MB DVD rip, and then watch a 1080p quality right after, the difference is immense.
But only if you have a good TV. On a shitty TV or PC monitor there isn't really a worthy difference.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6137|New Jersey

max wrote:

Can the PS3 play .mkv files?  I know it can do divx and such...
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6630

SpIk3y wrote:

max wrote:

Can the PS3 play .mkv files?  I know it can do divx and such...
Get a program called, MKV2VOB

Converts directly to a number of PS3 supported file formats with no quality loss.
Defiance
+438|6669

With TB drives being so cheap, I have no qualm with the space a 1080p movie takes up.

And, HDCP can die.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard