Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/ … 3599.shtml

They weren't her parent's drugs, or some colourful candies found in the medicine cabinet, they were HER drugs, prescribed by her doctor because of her ADHD and Bi-Polar disorder.

To me this raises quite a few different issues.
Little Rebecca was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and ADHD when she was 2 and a half. What super-fucking-doc can diagnose a fucking infant with those types of disorders? ADHD? The kid was fucking 2 and a half! Kids are meant to be shit-storms in the form of miniature humans at that age!
It comes down to the parents wanting to be able to give their kids these drugs because they don't have the parental skills of dealing with it themselves. The parents filled this poor girl full of drugs every time she was annoying them basically, even force-feeding her drugs when they didn't want her to complain of how she couldn't breathe.
STUPID!
FUCKING!
IDIOTS!

In my opinion, ADHD in it's entirety is bullshit. It spawned from parents wanting an excuse to why their kids were so hyperactive. News-fucking-flash! Kids and people in general are different, some of the differences can be energy levels, if you have a particularly energetic kid who's making a complete annoyance out of them self, DISCIPLINE THEM don't cram them full of fucking drugs!

I babysit for two boys down the street, nice kids both of them, Jack and Tom. Tom, being the youngest has always had to fight to get attention and he's the hell-raiser of the two. He's quite hyperactive compared to his brother and harder to get to bed when bed time comes around, but he doesn't have a disease. Yet even he was diagnosed with ADHD and you know the ONE thing I noticed after this happened was Tom's INCREASE of hyperactivity, because not only can this give an excuse to parents, but kids now can be annoying little shit-storms and blame it on ADD or ADHD. (A credit to Jack and Tom's folks, they don't give in to this ADHD bullshit either and prefer to take Tom and Jack bike-riding among other things to get rid of excess energy.)

Apparently the parents of Rebecca have two older children - a boy and a girl, who strangely enough are also on these drugs for the same reasons. ADHD and Bi-Polar are not genetic disorders, I argue the the former doesn't even exist, but lightning does not strike the same place three fucking times! The people are just shitty parents who cannot control or discipline their children, so instead of looking to themselves to find a solution they have to determine that the problem is with their KIDS so they have an excuse to use drugs on them.

I understand ADHD is a con supplied to a lot of parents, but I hope for their children's sake that they don't use the drugs, (as the parents of Rebecca did,) as a quick fix-all so that they can relax after work.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
I do believe some kids have ADD. I knew one who was diagnosed with it, and he was a completely different kid on his drugs. Not weird or anything, just calm, focused, able to get things done while having fun at the same time.

That said, most ADD cases are bullshit, as you said, and are really just parents' inability to control their kid.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

That doctor should be sued. The parents should have their ability to reproduce taken away from them so this doesn't happen again.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
OmniDeath
~
+726|6653

agreed. what bugs me more are the kids who buy into it and use it as an excuse for things.
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6340|teh alien spaceshit
The fucking parents need the fucking drugs. They should be put into military school for their actions. They should've thought about this before making the baby. Lazy bastards.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6559|CH/BR - in UK

I agree completely. It seems to be another great excuse for society, and all those kids who can't be kept under control. It annoys me to the extreme.

-konfusion
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6627|InGerLand
I agree ADHD is complete bullshit
its just popular bullshit 'cos the parents cannot take that it's their fucking fault there child messes around and they have no clue as too what they are doing
its not hard to give them a clue though
NO MORE FUCKING SOFT DRINKS AND NO MORE SWEETS
take the new coke zero, zero carbohydrates yes, but overall enough energy to boil my fecking kettle, and thats just the one can. You give your kid that and you deserve them screwing up on you
I mean yewah if your an adult or at least over 12 then go ahead, but if you are younger than that (pre-pubescent in other words) then the stuff will mess your brains chemicals up in a VERY bad way
howler_27
+90|6696
It seems to me that the whole kids on drugs epidemic in America is just a vast coupe to actually aide the parents ability to COPE with the alleged kids problems instead of their own problems in being unable to raise them without the help of said drugs.   Yes, there is a hell of a lot more stress in the world today, but things weren't necessarily easy back in the day.  Technology has made it better and worse in one equal stroke. 
It's the parents that put these kids in the situations that they are in from the very beginning.

If you can't handle parenthood, or the thought scares you, then keep it zipped.  Consequences are the mother of all fuck ups.  It's best that you suffer on your own than bringing a child into your screwed up world that you have had full opportunity to pull yourself out of.  Especially in this country.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA

Ty wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/23/health/main2603599.shtml

In my opinion, ADHD in it's entirety is bullshit. It spawned from parents wanting an excuse to why their kids were so hyperactive. News-fucking-flash! Kids and people in general are different, some of the differences can be energy levels, if you have a particularly energetic kid who's making a complete annoyance out of them self, DISCIPLINE THEM don't cram them full of fucking drugs!
News-Fucking-Flash!

ADHD DOES exist. when a person is FAR more immature than he should be (IE a sixteen year old acting like a four year old) he could be a candidate.
the rest of it comes from the following.

the human brain has the amazing ability to block out 80% of all sensory input it receives. when you're in a classroom, taking a test, that 20% becomes limited to the test that your eyes see in front of you.

a person with ADHD lacks this ability. during that test, he notices that the forty desks of the forty students squeaked every ten seconds; he hears every single pencil scratch, every cough, every sneeze, every sigh or moan; he notices the teacher walking around regardless of where the teacher is, he notices EVERY movement within his field of vision, that tapping foot two rows over; he hears those 7 dropped pencils, and every page turn, he notices those birds fly past the window, and he notices that fly buzzing around 20 feet from him.

ADHD is one of the most horrible afflictions to have. imagine the hardest, most difficult test you've ever taken. remember how stressful it felt? remember that nasty feeling in your gut? well, that feeling is 80% worse for somebody with ADHD, and he also feels self hate and frustration.
now remember that ADHD, because of people like this family, and most of all, people like you who dismiss it as poor parenting, garners no sympathy from the school system, and thus have an 80% harder test, every test, every time. now remember how crucial those tests are for one's future.
    so, because of your ignorance, ADHD has become one of the most life crippling mental afflictions diagnosed, and all it takes to fix it is 15 extra minutes on tests and a stupid fucking pill.

remember as well, that all these people that genuinely have ADHD are most likely smarter than you. every great scientist/inventor within the last 150 years has shown, through vocal recordings and written works, signs of ADHD. your ignorance, therefore, is not only ruining the lives of sufferers, but slowing development and science in general.

ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the second Dark Ages!

Ty wrote:

STUPID!
FUCKING!
IDIOTS!
___________________________________________________________________________________________
about the girl:

can it possibly be diagnosed at that early an age? absolutely not. in no question, it cannot be diagnosed before 8 years of age, because at that point maturity slowly starts to show. as for bipolarity, i can't tell you, but its probably the same.

its quite clear to me that the entire chain of people involved in this incident are to blame. the doctor, for not following LAWS concerning how often ADHD medication can be proscribed (not until the previous period is up, IE a prescription for 60 pills (60 days' worth) cannot be refilled until that time is up.) and a prescription can only have something like 2 automatic refills on it until one must revisit the doctor for a new one, meaning the doctor was carelessly represcribing.

the pharmacist, for buying into the mothers' excuses (which could not possibly sound like anything other than utter bullshit.) rather than doing HIS JOB and contacting the authorities.

her parents, for being IRRATIONAL, IRRESPONSIBLE, UNLOVING, UNABLE, UTTER DOUCHEBAGS of parents.

EDIT:

Omnideath wrote:

agreed. what bugs me more are the kids who buy into it and use it as an excuse for things.
except for the part where you agree, you're absolutely right. ADHD should never be used as a crutch. it hurts mroe than it helps.

Last edited by Ender2309 (2007-04-05 17:20:38)

.robzored.
Roflcopter Pilot
+74|6286|Illinois
Although i really don't see how he could diagnose a toddler with ADHD, it is a real syndrome. SPECT brain tests show that people who accually have ADHD do suffer a decrease in brain activity when they try to concentrate (i am one of those people who really have it so don't tell me it doesn't exist). It's sad that ADHD is way over-diagnosed.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command

King_County_Downy wrote:

That doctor should be sued. The parents should have their ability to reproduce taken away from them so this doesn't happen again.
Pretty much.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6653

King_County_Downy wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

EDIT:

Omnideath wrote:

except for the part where you agree, you're absolutely right. ADHD should never be used as a crutch. it hurts mroe than it helps.
silly me for agreeing with that. let the parents and doctor run the risk of killing more innocent children.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA

Omnideath wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

EDIT:

Omnideath wrote:

silly me for agreeing with that. let the parents and doctor run the risk of killing more innocent children.
my bad; i thought you were agreeing with ADHD not existing.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6627|InGerLand

Ender2309 wrote:

Ty wrote:

<snip>
News-Fucking-Flash!

ADHD DOES exist. when a person is FAR more immature than he should be (IE a sixteen year old acting like a four year old) he could be a candidate.
the rest of it comes from the following.

the human brain has the amazing ability to block out 80% of all sensory input it receives. when you're in a classroom, taking a test, that 20% becomes limited to the test that your eyes see in front of you.

a person with ADHD lacks this ability. during that test, he notices that the forty desks of the forty students squeaked every ten seconds; he hears every single pencil scratch, every cough, every sneeze, every sigh or moan; he notices the teacher walking around regardless of where the teacher is, he notices EVERY movement within his field of vision, that tapping foot two rows over; he hears those 7 dropped pencils, and every page turn, he notices those birds fly past the window, and he notices that fly buzzing around 20 feet from him.

ADHD is one of the most horrible afflictions to have. imagine the hardest, most difficult test you've ever taken. remember how stressful it felt? remember that nasty feeling in your gut? well, that feeling is 80% worse for somebody with ADHD, and he also feels self hate and frustration.
now remember that ADHD, because of people like this family, and most of all, people like you who dismiss it as poor parenting, garners no sympathy from the school system, and thus have an 80% harder test, every test, every time. now remember how crucial those tests are for one's future.
    so, because of your ignorance, ADHD has become one of the most life crippling mental afflictions diagnosed, and all it takes to fix it is 15 extra minutes on tests and a stupid fucking pill.

remember as well, that all these people that genuinely have ADHD are most likely smarter than you. every great scientist/inventor within the last 150 years has shown, through vocal recordings and written works, signs of ADHD. your ignorance, therefore, is not only ruining the lives of sufferers, but slowing development and science in general.

ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the second Dark Ages!
In some cases it is a real thing, unfortunatly there are many other contestable psychological factors/issues/things[for lack of a better word] that could easily cause a misdiagnosis of ADHD and lead to people spending their lives with the label of a condition they do not actually have, which is far far worse.
The physiological effects of various substances in everyday use coupled with bad parenting that i mentioned before are just one example among many.
and this is why most people have bad stigmas of ADHD people. If it a second 'dark ages' (which is a little melodramatic tbf...) then it's one brought on by idiotic parents and corrupt people who would debase themselves simply for a few extras in life.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6454|The Land of Scott Walker
I'm beginning to think that more and more parents are looking for robots instead of kids when they load up such younger children on drugs.  My 3 1/2 year old son runs around like he's on fire, but that's what young kids do.  Pushing a pill down his throat to control him would be child abuse in my opinion.  I don't deny that for some people ADD or ADHD is a reality, but I believe it is overdiagnosed.
batgirl
+0|6242
This is my 2 cents...

I have a son who is now 11. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 7. Even though I knew something was wrong way before he was 7. I chose to have him diagnosed at 7 because I knew what effects those drugs have. First he was on Adderall but I found that it made him nervous ans because of that he developed Trichotillamania. So I changed his med to Straterra. It helped with the trich but didn't do much for his ADHD.
Now he's in "special classes". He's a very smart boy. He can diagnose cars, read, do math etc. He just doesn't have the ability to be in regular classes. He fiddles, worries and can not focus in reg classes.
On another note... I believe that 2yr old was killed by the doctors. At 2yrs, how can you diagnose a baby with Bi-polar? I also have to agree that ADD or ADHD is by far  way too often over-diagnosed.

Bg
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6640|USA

King_County_Downy wrote:

I have to agree with you downy on this one.  I would love to see some people rendered barren when it comes to being  known abusers of children.  Its a great way to reduce the amount of children born addicted to drugs as well as of parents who are known to abuse children. 

In some cases, it is a shame you don't get to pick your parents
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
I was diagnosed with ADHD early on.  I was given Ritalin until I reached high school.  It helped me focus, but I can see how such prescriptions might have an adverse effect on other kids.

This is always a hard call, because everyone is different.  While our species's diversity on an individual basis is part of our uniqueness, it is also a burden in terms of healthcare.  Sometimes, it's very hard to tell how a child will react to a specific medication.  This article seems to be a tragic case of irresponsibility.

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-04-08 02:31:17)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Ty wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/23/health/main2603599.shtml

They weren't her parent's drugs, or some colourful candies found in the medicine cabinet, they were HER drugs, prescribed by her doctor because of her ADHD and Bi-Polar disorder.

To me this raises quite a few different issues.
Little Rebecca was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and ADHD when she was 2 and a half. What super-fucking-doc can diagnose a fucking infant with those types of disorders? ADHD? The kid was fucking 2 and a half! Kids are meant to be shit-storms in the form of miniature humans at that age!
It comes down to the parents wanting to be able to give their kids these drugs because they don't have the parental skills of dealing with it themselves. The parents filled this poor girl full of drugs every time she was annoying them basically, even force-feeding her drugs when they didn't want her to complain of how she couldn't breathe.
STUPID!
FUCKING!
IDIOTS!

I babysit for two boys down the street, nice kids both of them, Jack and Tom. Tom, being the youngest has always had to fight to get attention and he's the hell-raiser of the two. He's quite hyperactive compared to his brother and harder to get to bed when bed time comes around, but he doesn't have a disease. Yet even he was diagnosed with ADHD and you know the ONE thing I noticed after this happened was Tom's INCREASE of hyperactivity, because not only can this give an excuse to parents, but kids now can be annoying little shit-storms and blame it on ADD or ADHD. (A credit to Jack and Tom's folks, they don't give in to this ADHD bullshit either and prefer to take Tom and Jack bike-riding among other things to get rid of excess energy.)

Apparently the parents of Rebecca have two older children - a boy and a girl, who strangely enough are also on these drugs for the same reasons. ADHD and Bi-Polar are not genetic disorders, I argue the the former doesn't even exist, but lightning does not strike the same place three fucking times! The people are just shitty parents who cannot control or discipline their children, so instead of looking to themselves to find a solution they have to determine that the problem is with their KIDS so they have an excuse to use drugs on them.

I understand ADHD is a con supplied to a lot of parents, but I hope for their children's sake that they don't use the drugs, (as the parents of Rebecca did,) as a quick fix-all so that they can relax after work.
Ahhhhhh, nothing like a syndrome to pose as an excuse for shitty behavior. Your kid acts like shit so, OBVIOUSLY, he/she isn't responsible for their behavior, or you, for your parenting skills. There is a MEDICAL reason for it. The drug companies are getting rich off of parents too lazy or too busy to actually RAISE and DISCIPLINE their own kids. Your kid acts up in school or is a bully??? No problem, how about if we just pump him full of mind altering drugs to "control" him, instead of paddling his ass when he steps out of line?

How about PMS for an excuse to tie your husband to the bed and set him on fire?? ( My favorite defense by the way)..

Fear not, it isn't your fault you are too fat or too skinny either, we have a medical diagnoses to cover for you, and of course, a drug that will fix ya right up. Pretty convenient.
heavy_chevy
Banned
+6|6239
Kids are not hyperactive because they have an illness. Kids are hyperactive because they are allowed to be lazy and irresponsible. They are not being held accountable for their actions and they have incredibly irresponsible parents. Go play a pickup game of ball with the other neighborhood kids or build a fucking tree fort. That will wear them out. And when they mouth off dad should be there with his belt and I can almost gurantee, in most cases atleast, their behavior will be adjusted correctly.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6718|Charlie One Alpha
Of ADD and Bi-Polar, Bi-Polar is the bigger bunch of bullshit. ADD does exist, even though in most cases it's just an energetic child or bad parenting. But Bi-Polar disorder, I don't believe in. That's just PMSing.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6769|San Antonio, Texas
What the hell has this world come to? Is it just me, or is there an aura around some parts of the world that just sucks the intelligence out of people?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

What the hell has this world come to? Is it just me, or is there an aura around some parts of the world that just sucks the intelligence out of people?
Nothing like contributing to a thread is there??

You got an opinion other than everyone is stupid except you??

Last edited by lowing (2007-04-08 07:35:21)

williedyna
+7|6654
I wouldn't be so quick to blame or sue anyone.  Especially not being aware of all of the factors in the case.  It's easy to have a knee jerk reaction and say it's this persons fault or that persons fault.  There is a good possibility that the parents were so frustrated with the child's behavior that they "did an Internet search" and self-diagnosed the child.  Then insisted and persisted, fabricating symptoms etc. until the Dr. acquiesced and prescribed the pills.  I see this all the time, the kids a pain in the ass and so they dope em up until he/she is more sedated and cooperative;  frequently to the detriment of the child.

If you insist on going down the sue everyone path; sue pfizer, schering-plough, glaxo smith kline and the like.  These are the companies with the politicians in their pockets, that get their snake oil into the market place.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6718|Charlie One Alpha

lowing wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Nothing contributing to a thread is there??

You got an opinion other than everyone is stupid except you??
Lowing, calm down, and for once try to think. He was talking about the stupidity of the PARENTS of the little girl in first post, not all the people who posted in this thread. Altough in your case, he might as well have.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard