SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6784|Perth, Western Australia
So we've all heard the 'leet' few on these and other forums saying unlocks are for 'n00bs'. But I'm confused why to be honest. There seems to be three arguments against unlocks:

Argument A: Unlocks are for noobs because the standardweapons are better (ie more accurate, damaging, less recoil etc etc). Examples: QBZ > G36C, M24 > M95, RPK > PKM/MG36. This argues that only the uninitiated, or those with a lack of knowledge would use unlocks simply for the reason that they have earned them and therefore they must be better.

Argument B: Unlocks are for noobs because they create an imbalance in the game (ie are better in some way than the standard weapon). Examples G36E > Ak101, P90 > MP5, L96A1 > Type 88/SVD, G3 > M16A2. This argues that only people that lack skill use unlocks because they aren't good enough to 'pwnzor' with the standard weapons.

Argument C: Unlocks are for noobs because it imbalances the game due to the fact that higher ranked players get access to more kit variations that lower ranked players.

The only problem is that Arguments A and B are contradictory. Argument A says that unlocks are worse and therefore for noobs, and B says that unlocks are better than standard weapons and therefore for skill less players. I could understand if it was one argument or the other, but for example the QBZ is clearly better than any other carbine, and yet it is a standard weapon, whereas the P90 is head and shoulders above other SMGs, but its an unlock.

Whats the mentality here? Or is it just a bunch of pre pubescent fools trying to appear as tough guys?

PS Argument C is just stupid. Of course if someone has played the game more than you theyll have access to more stuff ffs
Shiffdaddy
+73|6332
I beleive its mostly about argument B, I dont mind unlocks except for the damn G36E.
Velker
Accused aimbot user
+31|6272|Ohio
I've ran into people that claim this "noob" crap all the time. I was accused of being a "G3 noob" the other day because I kept killing this guy several times in a row, a clear sign that he was just frustrated with me. I personally don't care what kind of unlock or standard weapon someone is using, its all the same to me. While each gun does have different strengths and weaknesses in comparison to some of the other guns in its weapons class you shouldn't take out your frustration of being temporarily "pwned" by using the excuse that they must be a noob because their gun choice is different than yours and you were the one that ended up dead in a firefight.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6478|Somewhere else

Unlocks are just unlocks, and trade + and - in different areas with te regualr weapons, making the weapons a personal choice with what a particular person is skilled with.

Someone who has a naturally good accuracy can trade a bit of accuracy for firepower and compensate.  Others take the accuracy to over firepower to ensure better hits in more lethal areas.

Anyone who calls unlocks "noob weapons" simply isn't very good at BF2 and takes thier frustrations out on the "noobs" that "need to use unlocks to get kills"  making them feel justified in thier lack of skill. 

When really, its a matter of skill.  but the ak101 pwns.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6583|Seattle
this is going to get flamed but i dont mind participating in all of these threads.

i find that what u are used to matters so much more than the intrinsics of the weapons. the m16 was hard at first, but now id much prefer it to the g36e for weird recoil and moving-while-shooting reasons and because i am so utterly used to the sight and how to line it up. most of the weapons just require u to play a little differently, and if u do it, other weapons have no advantage over u. i get much more out of the m16, aks, and l85 than the g36e, mostly because i quit using the g36e out of being flamed so much in-game and now have much more experience with the others.

i think all of those arguments are wrong because there are clear counter examples for each. the reality is just a little more complicated. each weapon can instantly kill when used correctly so there isnt much need to complain about their slight differences.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK
I guess unlocks are good in the fact that you are using the same gun all the time so you get used to its recoil and fire rate. Once you clock up enough hours you get used to all guns one gun I actually can't use is the G36E.
.robzored.
Roflcopter Pilot
+74|6275|Illinois
I think unlocks add a large amount of fun and variety to the game, i mean, being killed by an m-16 or ak-offshoot all the time would get boring, now you can put a variety of bullets into other players.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK
Yeah it gives you motivation to play at the start "I wanna unlock the m95" seriously apart from the pp-19 the standard anti tank are rubbish.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6389|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
Its there so use it i dont see how your are a "noob" by using somthing in a game and like i always say the g36e isnt overpowered if everyone used it.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6364|California
unlocks are for noobs
I use the stock weapons so much that I suck with unlocks now
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6637|Montreal, Qc, Canada
im tired of everybody always saying unlocks is for noob etc...  look let me make this clear... how do you get unlocks ?? by getting points and going to a HIGHER rank... so unlocks are in base not for noob they are for the higher ranked player....

then its just a gun, the g36e gives like 32 of damaga per shoot (i think) and the ak-101 is 37, so if someone is using the g36e and you are using the ak-101 you have the better gun and the guy who is using the g36e is NOT a noob because he is trying to kill you wit a gun that make less damage !!!!! etc... etc... etc...

Nwaaayy this is a damn game and too many people are always complaning about something... so lets just all play the game , have fun and all stfu

Last edited by Andoura (2007-03-23 22:44:54)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
I think a noob is someone who bitches at how someone else plays an online game and doesn't just leave.

I think the argument is mostly B, but that argument is complete bullshit.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6676|Middle of nowhere
for me, i will only 'complain' about a certain weapon if someone is using it better than me

like, if someone was pwning with the G3 (which i can't use for shit) then i would bitch about it, but i guess thats me bitching more about the player than the gun

tbh, i don't care what gun people use, as long as they're good with it, why does it matter?

I hate the people who say stuff like "I don't use the G36E because the game feels to easy..."

that is probably the biggest load of shit i have ever heard in my life, if the game was "easy" with that gun, they would use it, no question, it's obvious that when people say a certain gun makes the game "too easy" it's just that they can't use the gun for shit and so they try and make other people not use it.

I use the weapons i do (like the PKM) because it makes the game the easiest for me, or i get the most kills with it.  The RPK, SAW, or Type 95 are just too inaccurate for me and the MG36 is just shit
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645
I'd say the only noob unlock is the g36e.
Flakturnal
+21|6440|Perth,WA
define noob.
Its pretty much a blanket for anyone who is good or bad at any game
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6638|Montréal, Québec
There was the over powered blackhawk, then the pkm frenzy, the G36E=n00bs... and bla bla bla. There are always thing to complain about. If u get owned by let say a G36e maniac ( e.g. ME ) why dont u just take ur G36e out and compair skill at equal power/rate of fire. If you dont have it, I CUZ UR A DAMN NOOB OR A STUPID 2nD ACCOUNT!!!! Then i dont want hear anything from you. The point is: its not a super-dooper unlock that give you a real advantage , like in that game... 2142, its just a choice that was maid by the player 3 sec ago.

Me =  G36E / RPK / Sniper
keyoshi
+28|6418
I don't think unlocks are for noobs. If your any good, you can beat an L96 with an SVD, you can beat a PKM with a SAW, you can beat a Scar-L with an M4 (M4 is THE SHIT BTW, IMO BEST standard gun around.)

Playing SF so much, and hating the second level unlocks (such as the L...umm....85...) and the G3 (although I do pwn with it...I was in a 10v10 karkand, ownd with it so much, the whole MEC team started using it [no lie]) anyways..I got myself VERY good with the AK's.

But, @Andoura, think about it. 1 G36E burst is 3 shots in..under 1/2sec. So thats 96dmg in 1/2 second. So in 1 second you deal out 192 dmg. More than enough to kill anyone. While in 1 second you shoot how many AK shots? Now I haven't tested that for myself, but I'm assuming in any amount of time the G36E will shoot more shots than the AK. In a way noobish? .....yes and no. It's a smarter decision to go with the G36 if you can't aim well with the AK's...

but what do I know my medic KD isn't even 2:1 ... *sighs at sgt days....2-10....*
chittydog
less busy
+586|6833|Kubra, Damn it!

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Or is it just a bunch of pre pubescent fools trying to appear as tough guys?
Ding ding ding ding ding. You are correct! Tell the man what he's won...
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone
Where are the Hard Core "Unlocks are for Noobs" campaigners? They obviously can't come up with a decent argument.

keyoshi wrote:

But, @Andoura, think about it. 1 G36E burst is 3 shots in..under 1/2sec. So thats 96dmg in 1/2 second. So in 1 second you deal out 192 dmg. More than enough to kill anyone. While in 1 second you shoot how many AK shots? Now I haven't tested that for myself, but I'm assuming in any amount of time the G36E will shoot more shots than the AK. In a way noobish? .....yes and no. It's a smarter decision to go with the G36 if you can't aim well with the AK's...
AK101 = 600 RPM = 10 shots a second = 370 dmg.
G36E = 900RPM = 15 shots a second = 480 dmg (but its burst fire, so theres a small delay after each burst).

but what do I know my medic KD isn't even 2:1 ... *sighs at sgt days....2-10....*
Thats all relative... do you play IO, or Inf city maps exclusively? Or do you play all maps, Its a lot harder to get 2:1 using an assault rifle when theres tanks, APCs, Choppers, Planes and other infantry to negotiate. compared to no vehicles or at most 1 tank and 2 APCs.
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6727|Louisiana

SharkyMcshark wrote:

...for example the QBZ is clearly better than any other carbine...
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I think the G36C is the best all-around weapon in the game.

As for the unlock argument, it's been done plenty of times already. It comes down to skilled players adopting an elitist attitude toward others who use unlocks, which are viewed as "upgrades" whether or not they actually provide an advantage over the stock weapons. Look at the L96A1 and the M24 - functionally they are exactly the same, but you rarely see people using the M24 over the L96A1, simply because the unlock provides a sense that you're using a better gun that you had to earn; this implied worth causes more experienced players to feel like they were only killed because the other player was using an "upgrade." If unlocks were commonly viewed as "alternatives" rather than "upgrades," there wouldn't be nearly as much controversy over this topic.
bobroonie.bda
+143|6680
If you complain about being killed by anything in the game you are the "noob".
If you "think" your leet because you use unlocks you are the "noob".

Crying and bitching is for women and children. Die like a man.

Last edited by bobroonie.bda (2007-03-24 00:45:01)

Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6525|Milkystania, yurop
UNLOCKS rules
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

bobroonie.bda wrote:

If you complain about being killed by anything in the game you are the "noob".
If you "think" your leet because you use unlocks you are the "noob".

Crying and bitching is for women and children. Die like a man.
I personally would prefer to live.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6364|California
guns just suck we need water guns so we can pwn each other
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6625|Warlord
There are no meaningful arguments against the use of unlocks in public servers. None. Not a one.

They are supplied by the game, in fact they're one of the reasons for its popularity. Almost all players use unlocks when the need arises and there is nothing to stop them if they have it and they want to, and they sure as hell shouldn't pay attention to someone else's bias or worse still, no thought at all (yeah, I'm talkin' to you "Unlocks are for noobs." schmucks). If you chose not to use 'em that's your business, don't dump your neuroses on the rest of us; tell it to your therapist, or mommy, maybe they'll pretend to care.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard