Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6628|Washington, DC

Alright, might be odd seeing me post a topic like this in this forum. Though I'm a frequenter of the other boards, I rarely come to BF2S US (the server and forum). But that should change (especially the server part). Even though BF2S is sponsored by Branzone, they're losing cash if they're running a server that nobody joins. I think they sponsor because they want to advertise, someone might think "Hmm, BF2S chooses Branzone, so they must be good"! Unfortunately, if they feel that they aren't getting their end of the deal, they'll relegate the server to someone who'll give them cash for it.

Condensed, easy read version at the bottom of this post

So here's my proposal/set of ideas for getting this server running again

1) A DEDICATED GROUP OF PEOPLE. I want anybody who will be willing to join the server every day (or close to that) to post here SAYING THAT THEY WILL DO SO. I unfortunately can't practice what I preach because of certain parental rules, but I know a lot of people here can play on weekdays.

2) A good group of admins. Nobody likes an un-adminned server; many times when I joined there'd be no admin and a bunch of retards running amok. I'm sure all the current admins are more than able to use good judgment, the problem is that some admins don't even post here or play vanilla BF2 anymore. Some have disappeared off the face of the earth (well, BF2S is basically earth).

3) A solid map rotation. Granted this is up to the head admin(s) to decide. I myself like a variety of Vanilla BF2 maps, no infantry only. One thing that attracts people to anything is that it has what they want. Find a store that is like Newegg, but brick-and-mortar? You keep it in your head or navigation system. Find a restaurant that serves foods you love? You remember it. Find a server with the maps you enjoy? You bookmark it in your favorites. When the store stops meeting your demands, when the restaurant stops serving that great alfredo pasta dish, when the server stops running those maps; you tend to stop frequenting it.

In short; keep the map rotation the same when possible. Exceptions can (and probably should) be made for Saturday Night Gaming, but that's it. If the rotation keeps changing every other day, people will be confused and/or annoyed.

4) Events. Granted, not everyone will visit this forum even if the message says "Visit after you're done!" or something similar. But there's a good amount of Americans, Canadians, and even a Mexican (Sergio Bennet!!) on this forum who might find Saturday Night Gaming fun. I unfortunately didn't take part in lots of SNG back when this server was popular, and I regret that. I'll take part in it though, and I'm sure plenty of others would. Vary the rotation for this night, keep it fun.

5) Communication, communication, communication. I'm not sure if VOIP is enabled on the server, but it should be. Those without TS or Vent should at least be able to squad chat. I know there's a TS server for BF2S US too; if you're playing on the US server for a bit you should join it. More community-oriented stuff and more people will play. MoonGamers tends to have a busy TS. Why? Cause lots of regulars of their servers join it.

6) Rules. You don't want the server to be an anarchy like the old Insomnia 365 servers, but you don't want to seem like a bunch of rule nazis. They should be short and sweet. Choose what you want but get to the point. Let people swear 3 or 5 times before getting kicked. Don't let people TK for vehicles or force TK's, or redline others.

7) Presentation. The server message should be warm and friendly, rather than slap the rules in your face. Simply a "Don't be an idiot, please read the scrolling rules" works. If you're too dumb to notice them (if you set them to show up often), you deserve a kick. Give the TS IP, the site address, and put something like "Register on our forums and talk with the US community!", or what you will.

If you didn't feel like reading all of that, here is the condensed version:

Try and get on the server every night if you can. Choose a time for people to start joining the server. Because of the 3 time zones, the server could get started in the early evening/late afternoon and go into the early morning. The admins should be active and good with their judgement. The map rotation should stay the same (and, ideally for me anyways, be varied). Saturday Night Gaming is a great idea; people just need to show up! Join the TS when you play on there. Don't be rule nazis, and make the server be inviting.

Come on, the EU guys did it and so can we!
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6594|Seattle

I'm always game. I've made arrangements to be more available for admining the server. Currently the map rotation is: All Maps.

And to everyone who doesn't EVER come and play on the US server, why not? Seriously... why wouldn't you want to play with all these jackasses that talk so much smack about how good they are, etc... Why not make 'em put up or shut up? Seems like a bunch of talkers to me... Come show me how badass you are in a helicopter.

I, Downy, challenge all of you to a duel. I bet I can kick your ass any day of the week Think not? Prove it biches!

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2007-02-16 17:00:32)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Hurricane
Banned

Sweet, we got it going today. Had some fun rounds on Karkand, Wake, and Dalian. Great way to come back to duty on BF2
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
Add me to xfire, and I'll be up to playing if I can whenever or at least if I'm on xfire I can admin it for you. I agree with more server events too, if you have any ideas don't hesitate to post.
JG1567JG
+110|6585|United States of America
I like playing on servers that people dont rape the uncaps and where the admins enforce the rules.  I havn't seen that on the U.S. server.  I just left Oman because the whole battle was in the MEC uncap.  It gets old getting raped by a chopper and a plane in your uncap when your team has half the CP's.  Then again I should have known since it was that way the round before on FuShu pass.  No big deal just a little rant.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6832|Kubra, Damn it!

That sucks, I was just about to get on for the first time. Maybe I'll wait for the map to change...
Hurricane
Banned

JG1567JG wrote:

I like playing on servers that people dont rape the uncaps and where the admins enforce the rules.  I havn't seen that on the U.S. server.  I just left Oman because the whole battle was in the MEC uncap.  It gets old getting raped by a chopper and a plane in your uncap when your team has half the CP's.  Then again I should have known since it was that way the round before on FuShu pass.  No big deal just a little rant.
The rules -do- state that baseraping is not allowed. Sorry your experience was a bit of a bitch... if  I was in there I would've cleaned up the hooligans doing that.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6832|Kubra, Damn it!

Woohoo. After hanging on the forums for a year and a half, I just finished my very first round on the BF2s US server. Don't let that JG guy scare you away. It's a good server. Nice job guys, I'll be back.
JG1567JG
+110|6585|United States of America

chittydog wrote:

Woohoo. After hanging on the forums for a year and a half, I just finished my very first round on the BF2s US server. Don't let that JG guy scare you away. It's a good server. Nice job guys, I'll be back.
I have had more good experiences on the US server than bad ones.  It wasn't really a bad experience, just a little annoying and aggravating.
Archer
rapes face
+161|6421|Canuckistan
Archer, reporting for duty.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6646|Washington DC

Hurricane wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

The rules -do- state that baseraping is not allowed. Sorry your experience was a bit of a bitch... if  I was in there I would've cleaned up the hooligans doing that.
I think all the admins enforce this rule.  You may have been on there during a time when the admins were either not present or afk.
SilentscoutIX
BF2s US Server Admin
+91|6385|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was on for a few rounds last night, had quite a bit of fun.
Unfortunately I just don't have that much time to put into pubbing, school is hectic and I'm on a competition team so most of the time is spent scrimming.
Hurricane
Banned

OrangeHound wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

I think all the admins enforce this rule.  You may have been on there during a time when the admins were either not present or afk.
That's probably what it was. Fired up BF2 this morning and look who was still in there.. DaReJa. Lol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard