Shadow893
lel
+75|6698|England
I just recently started playing Half Life 2 after a friend told me about it (never played HL1 - only the beginning scene in the lab) and i have to say it is the best game i have ever played.

I mean - there is just amazing everything. and now its ageing a bit, i play with all high settings and it is superb. The storyline is really compelling and makes me want to know what is happening and what will. The soundis brillaint and each gun sounds amazing and then theres the physics.

Has any game ever made use of the physics like that before?? I was shocked when i first used the gravity gun - how relisticaly it all moved. lol

i presume, what with the game being voted game o the year and all, that you have all played this but if you haven't, you MUST.
']['error
Banned
+630|6650|The Netherlands
lal maybe i should buy and play it then
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6567|Southampton, UK

']['error wrote:

lal maybe i should buy and play it then
You haven't got it? You must be kidding.

It's the game of all games you will most probably play in this generation.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6627|London, England
I didn't find it that exiting. The actual fighting and shooting is VERY outdated. It's a simple game with a complex storyline and snazzy graphics and physics. Not that special now is it?
jord
+2,382|6684|The North, beyond the wall.
Yeah it's a fair beef game.

Counter Strike has the same physics i think.
dubbs
+105|6638|Lexington, KY

jord wrote:

Any game with the Source engine does.  Counter Strike: Source has the same physics.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6458|Cambridge, UK

dubbs wrote:

jord wrote:

Any game with the Source engine does.  Counter Strike: Source has the same physics.
CSS and DODS have access to the same physics but dont use it as much as in HL2
Rogness
The English Redneck
+10|6810|Plymouth, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

I didn't find it that exiting. The actual fighting and shooting is VERY outdated. It's a simple game with a complex storyline and snazzy graphics and physics. Not that special now is it?
Uh, yeah, it's still very special.  The atmosphere, staging, characters, anything plot/story/setting-wise you can care to mention, are all so far ahead of any other shooter, it's ridiculous. 
The combat may be fairly standard (although how you can possibly say that about the gravity gun is beyond me - a toilet to the face of a Combine is still brutally satisfying now), but it's not all about the shooting is it?  A game that can draw you into the setting this well is rare indeed, and that's what it's all about.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6454

worst game ever!!!, gotta say bf2, 2142,cod2,fear, css and all the games I own are > than HF2
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6537
Half Life 1 was a bigger ground breaker when it came out but Half Life 2 is by no measure a bad game. Still one of the best games ive played.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6441|UK
we dont go to ravenholm > all other hl2 levels

that level is the dogs nuts in gold

but ive beat that game like 9  times now and it still ammuses me even now

Last edited by Zero!. (2007-01-23 12:37:20)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6499|N. Ireland
HL2 is fantastic. What level are you at?
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6700|The Ville
I beat the game a long time ago but here's the catch. I'm getting a 512mb card tonight and I think I might play it again. I also love in cs where it has the test your frame rate thing, it helped me ounce already Hl2 rules.
Zukabazuka
+23|6691
This game beat the crap out of BF2 and BF2142. Gravity gun was the most fun in that game, picking up a radiator and blast it against combines sure was fun. MP was ever better because being good with GG was a good way to the top.
Big McLargehuge
Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
+259|6609|Philadelphia, PA
Good to see another fan of Half-Life 2. Now go buy HL2 Episode one and have even more fun. And don't forget about Half-Life 2 Episode Two.
dubbs
+105|6638|Lexington, KY

Zero!. wrote:

we dont go to ravenholm > all other hl2 levels

that level is the dogs nuts in gold

but ive beat that game like 9  times now and it still ammuses me even now
Try Esp 1.  It is a lot more creepier then We don't go to RavenHolm.  For most of the part that I have played, you are basically in the dark with very little light execpt your flashlight.  (Mine always seems to go out at the wrong time also.) 

http://hl2ep1.nfsvideos.com has a lot of videos for each level and are pretty good.  They are part of a walkthrough if you get stuck.  Check out Chapter Three on the menu.  The elevator battle is really intense also.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6451|The Land of Scott Walker
FEAR > HL2 in effects, sound, and gameplay.  HL2 scaled pretty well, I'll give it that much, but compared to FEAR, there's too many gaps in the action.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6726|California

rabee2789b wrote:

worst game ever!!!, gotta say bf2, 2142,cod2,fear, css and all the games I own are > than HF2
You fail horribly. Comparing a mutiplayer empire to a single player game is retarded.

Lets not forget it won awards. 50 to be exact. All game of the year awards.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6552
I'm a little ways into it. Preoccupied with multiplayer games though. Yeah it's good.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6601|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

rabee2789b wrote:

soo mind basing your statment with something usefull, and btw CS:S is in existence because of the HL2 source engine.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6780|Noizyland

I am forever thankful to Stryyker for giving me his Steam login/password so I could play HL2 and HL2 Episode 1. I didn't even know the potential of computer games until then, the best single player game with a storyline I had played before then was "Jedi Academy". I was so blown away I finished both games in under three days.

I don't like HL1 too much - I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it's remade as "Black Mesa: Source", but the thing has to much of a nineties game feel to it - kind of like a slightly more serious Duke Nukem 3D. It is a classic though and the way it's put together is revoloutionary. I love the Half Life series' lack of cutscenes, it puts you right in the game and keeps you there.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6726|California

Ty wrote:

I am forever thankful to Stryyker for giving me his Steam login/password so I could play HL2 and HL2 Episode 1.
Expect the same treatment for Episode II/Portals, if you wish
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

I would've enjoyed Half-Life 2 more, but it hiccups on my 3500+/6800 Ultra rig, even on low settings. I just can't take it. Strange that my 2500+/9600 Pro setup ran better on said settings.
frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6561|QLD, australia

Stingray24 wrote:

FEAR > HL2 in effects, sound, and gameplay.  HL2 scaled pretty well, I'll give it that much, but compared to FEAR, there's too many gaps in the action.
Whatever mate, you can't appreciate a real game. Sure the sound may be a tad better but the combat and weapons system is so dodgy and run of the mill, how can you even compare that to Half Life 2's wide variety of guns, especially the gravity gun. This opens up a whole new level of gameplay and makes the game that much more immersive, for example; can u pick up cans and throw them at the enemies head, or use pieces of metal for barricades in FEAR? I don't think so. "Oh, but FEAR has bullet time!" you might say; bullet time is one of the most overused techniques in games and movies and is nothing original at all, whereas half-life 2's gravity gun is a very original idea and is implemented extremely well into the gameplay. for example, you MUST utilize the gravity gun in the game to succeed, however in FEAR you can run and gun the whole way without ever having to tap the CTRL button. Half Life 2 never once uses a 3rd person cut scene to further the storyline, unlike FEAR which features several where the player is not present. This adds to the storyline of the game immensely makes it all the more compelling. Half-Life 2 graphics>FEAR Graphics because; 1. It supports HDR lighting. 2. The textures are higher resolution. 3.Characters are modelled more effectively and amazingly detailed, just look at Alyx's face(from HL2) compared to Paxton Fettels(from FEAR), there is significantly more realism. The Source engine is perhaps the most effective, resourceful and streamlined engine available today, which makes any game on it a cut above others of lower quality. I think this is about the last of the criticisms i have to make, however i will post if i find more
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6836|Denver colorado
Oh god. fear (From what I heard) is one of those games you play at your friends and finish in a night.

He was talking about how shitty it was because the game TRYS to be scary too much, so they put on some fast rock and beat the game in a few hours.

thats not a good game.

HL2 is a good game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard