{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_hall_problem

It's a lengthy read but it's very interesting.  Proved me wrong.

Last edited by {XpLiCiTxX} (2007-01-21 16:33:23)

SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6732
How did you change the title?
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

SnobbyBoss wrote:

Edit?

/obvious response.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Yeah this problem rocks. Always change...

Did this at A level statistics and in my APS course atm.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6642
that makes sense.
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6732

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

SnobbyBoss wrote:

Edit?

/obvious response.
You can edit that? never knew that. Sorry for stupid question.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

SnobbyBoss wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

SnobbyBoss wrote:

Edit?

/obvious response.
You can edit that? never knew that. Sorry for stupid question.
Everyone has those moments.  Not a stupid question.  I'm just a smartass. :-)

Vilham wrote:

Yeah this problem rocks. Always change...

Did this at A level statistics and in my APS course atm.
Honestly, I was completely dumbfounded when I read the reasoning behind it.  I thought it was based on assumptions only.  What really blew my mind was that formula for it.  Try remembering that. 

Last edited by {XpLiCiTxX} (2007-01-21 16:40:47)

cospengle
+140|6479|Armidale, NSW, Australia

wikipedea wrote:

When the player is asked whether to switch, there are three possible situations corresponding to the player's initial choice, each with probability ⅓:

The player originally picked the door hiding goat number 1. The game host has shown the other goat.
The player originally picked the door hiding goat number 2. The game host has shown the other goat.
The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown either of the two goats.
This is wrong. There are four possibilities, each with probability 1/4:
The player originally picked the door hiding goat number 1. The game host has shown the other goat.
The player originally picked the door hiding goat number 2. The game host has shown the other goat.
The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown goat number 1.
The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown goat number 2.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

cospengle wrote:

wikipedea wrote:

When the player is asked whether to switch, there are three possible situations corresponding to the player's initial choice, each with probability ⅓:

The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown either of the two goats.
This is wrong. There are four possibilities, each with probability 1/4:
The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown goat number 1.
The player originally picked the door hiding the car. The game host has shown goat number 2.
Yeah, either that or it doesn't matter which goat the host shows as long as it's a goat and not the car.  I see what you mean though.  It doesn't matter whether or not it's goat 1 or goat 2.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6618|Sea to globally-cooled sea
dude you entirely missed the point.  it wasn't about the possibilities.  it was about how the probability increases.  it doesn't matter WHICH goat you pick.  it matters that you ultimately do not, in fact, pick a goat.  unless the car is a Kia.  in which case keep the goat.
cospengle
lol. Kia caprice.

I'm not saying it matter which goat you pick, I'm saying that the Wiki solution only says there are 3 options with equal probability, but there are actually 4 (or 2 if you say to goats are the same). So there is no change in the probability.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

G3|Genius wrote:

dude you entirely missed the point.  it wasn't about the possibilities.  it was about how the probability increases.  it doesn't matter WHICH goat you pick.  it matters that you ultimately do not, in fact, pick a goat.  unless the car is a Kia.  in which case keep the goat.
Or Hyundai. :-)
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
It all comes down to the fact that Monty will NEVER pick the door with the car behind it, therefore causing a change to the probabilities.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

Vilham wrote:

It all comes down to the fact that Monty will NEVER pick the door with the car behind it, therefore causing a change to the probabilities.
Right, because if he did choose the car then you would win and not have to do any work.  The whole reasoning behind this equation is that by switching your answer based on what the host does, you will win 2/3's of the time.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
I don't get it. I read through about a quarter of that article and am puzzled still. Damned hypothetical scenarios!
cospengle

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Right, because if he did choose the car then you would win and not have to do any work.  The whole reasoning behind this equation is that by switching your answer based on what the host does, you will win 2/3's of the time.
No you won't. The probability of winning is 1/2, even before he opens a door.
nonexistentusmc
+26|6437|Queens, NYC
Yeah, I was thinking 1/2 as well because 1 of the doors gets eliminated as soon as he opens one. Which leaves two doors to choose from... you pick one or the other and thats 1 out of 2 therefore 1/2. No? Ahhh it's confusing!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
If you realy want I can draw a table out that shows how it works.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas

nonexistentusmc wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking 1/2 as well because 1 of the doors gets eliminated as soon as he opens one. Which leaves two doors to choose from... you pick one or the other and thats 1 out of 2 therefore 1/2. No? Ahhh it's confusing!
You are right. 3 doors = 1/3 chance. 2 doors = 1/2 chance. It's not that hard. I think that that "wiki" is just talking in circles... (Whoever made that wiki should become a politician.)
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

nonexistentusmc wrote:

That's exactly what everyone else, including myself thought before reading it.
cospengle

Vilham wrote:

If you realy want I can draw a table out that shows how it works.
That'd be good.
Volatile
+252|6697|Sextupling in Empire

I say it's 1/2 due to the fact that the first door chosen will eliminate a goat no matter what. Your then left with 2 doors to choose from. I understand what it's saying, but in this case the first choice doesn't matter.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Just so you know it is 2/3. FACT Ill do the table tomorrow in paint if i can find my lecture notes on it.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6812
gooooo intro level probabilities course!!

look mommy i can add fractions

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard