Poll

Who should decide the abortion issue?

Supreme court39%39% - 27
Voters in each state60%60% - 41
Total: 68
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker
Another question I've been tossing around.  Both sides fear activist judges in relation to Roe vs. Wade.  Would the abortion issue be better addressed by handing the issue back to the states and their voters?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
I'm a states rights kinda guy.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Not that I particularly care, but things like abortion and gay marriage when decided by the states usually means at least one state will allow it, and it's pretty darn easy with modern transportation to get to another state, so it's like the whole country allows it. It makes it a pain, but you can still do it in the country.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
it should be a personal decision. end of thread.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Not that I particularly care, but things like abortion and gay marriage when decided by the states usually means at least one state will allow it, and it's pretty darn easy with modern transportation to get to another state, so it's like the whole country allows it. It makes it a pain, but you can still do it in the country.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Personally, I think it should just be made legal throughout the country, but since that'll never happen, having each state decide seems like the best idea.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

Yup..its your body and you should decide (well maybe not you, because most members here are guys..) well you girls, sounds better, are ought to be able to make your own decision.
Stingray24
To clarify, I'm not debating the abortion issue all over again here.  Instead, I'm looking for some discussion on how the country should address the issue since there are two opposing views on the subject.  I lean towards state rights right now.  Though the officials we elect nominate the Supreme Court, I feel the states need to make up their mind with a vote of the people.
Stingray24
11 for supreme court and 5 for state voters . . . interesting.  I wonder if the results would be the same if the Supreme Court had recently overturned Roe vs. Wade.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6547
The person choosing, between the clinic or the wire hanger because there is no clinic, should decide.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Stingray24
Most of you aren't answering my question.  I don't care what you think about abortion.  Focus people . . . focus.
jonsimon
+224|6496

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

qfe
liquix
+51|6455|Peoples Republic of Portland
imho, unless your having the baby you don't get to make the freakin choice.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
The Woman...
Love is the answer
Stingray24
Ok, you guys STILL aren't paying attention.  I'm not asking whether you think abortion is good, bad, or anything else. 

What I'm asking is this:
Since there are two very opposite views on the subject, should the Supreme Court decide or should the issue be put to each state to decide?  Once again, I do NOT care if you think abortion is right or wrong, this question can be answered outside of that debate.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
In my view, power should be devolved as much as possible - for truly representative government. As such, I reckon each state should decide for themselves.
UGADawgs
+13|6322|South Carolina, US
State, definitely. Moral issues should not be forced on all states when there are so many differences of opinions.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

As with all important moral questions, I think they should be decided at the most local governmental level possible.  There is no way that people here (in OC) have the same morals or even lifestyle of someone in Northwest Minnesota.

If we as citizens of the United States want to continue as one nation, we need to start legislating from a local (state, city, county) level.
cospengle
+140|6488|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Neither. The mother should decide.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6627|Sea to globally-cooled sea
why not the US congress?  why is it that the voters can only decide on a state level?  why can't the voters decide for the entire nation?

I, for one, am 100% against legislation from the bench.  So i opted "voters in each state."
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

G3|Genius wrote:

why not the US congress?  why is it that the voters can only decide on a state level?  why can't the voters decide for the entire nation?

I, for one, am 100% against legislation from the bench.  So i opted "voters in each state."
The US Congress is not a good representative of the whole country.  US Congress is representing the rich white man.

That's why.

Granted, if there was the ability to stage a national referendum (which I back 100%), and it was only validated after 75% of the eligible voters voted then I would be all for national voting.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6346|Twyford, UK
The damn doctor with the medical training.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6464|meh-land
Congress
why?

The supreme court doesn't make laws or enforce laws, it simply interprets whats already there.  Supreme court can't ban abortion unless they can say it is against the constitution. 

of course, they could ban it anyway, the supreme court has been breaking the constitution constantly for the past many years
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
State
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

Yeah. "Your opinion is all that matters. End of thread."
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Personally, I think it should just be made legal throughout the country, but since that'll never happen, having each state decide seems like the best idea.
You mean it isn't legal across the US already? That's barbaric.

It should be decided on a national level. Because the government is unlikely to bring in a nation wide ban because it will be yet another factor making the US look like a nation stuck in the past. The government would be far more likely to legalise it everywhere and with such an act presumably action would be taken to deal with pro-life radicals as part of the war on terror.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard