Umibozu_IT
+15|6648|Italy
yes for the basic units it's true, but look for example at a unit of heavy knigths, they look all different with all those different shields and armours, only if you look carefully you notice the same 4 - 5 men repeated.

i'd say the major flaw in this game is the I.A., especially with alliances / merchants / spies, you are allied with a faction and they do anything to engage war with you, i was allied with the bizantine, i had just 1 region bordering with them, and what did they do? instead of attacking that region (which would have been kinda reasonable) they sail and land near venice with 4 units of CAVALRY (to siege a city with large stone walls)... useless to say, i slaugthered them one by one but... that move didn't look that brilliant...
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6389|New York
just got it yesterday. love it. playing as the british and doing pretty good. although the french are fucking with me from the south already, so i'll have to do some damage.

i saw someone mention something about playing as someone other than the iniital 5 factions. how do you do that?

edit: found the answer, you need to win with one of the five initial ones to unlock them all.

Last edited by heggs (2007-01-07 12:50:07)

Remember Me As A Time Of Day
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6690|London, UK
Unlock All Factions:
This cheat involves editing a game file. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING

Open the [game folder]\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt file with Notepad. You will see a list of the nations you can use in the beginning, the unlockable ones and the non-playables. Cut and paste the unlockable factions to the playable nations. Save the file. Now go back to the game and complete a campaign mode and all of the factions will be unlocked. Do not copy the end non-playables.

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Trust me dont do that till you have atleast completed a short campagin which is all thats needed to unlock all the factions. If you reinstall at some point by all means do that, but to do it straight up is stupid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Medieval 2 is basically an expansion pack to Rome. I didn't see any reason why I should buy it, except the video it came with, pre-release.
Umibozu_IT
+15|6648|Italy

Vilham wrote:

Trust me dont do that till you have atleast completed a short campagin which is all thats needed to unlock all the factions. If you reinstall at some point by all means do that, but to do it straight up is stupid.
yep, i did that in rome and in 2 yrs of playing i've NEVER completed a campaign with roman factions, because at some point or another i'd just start another campaign over with some new faction...
GR34
+215|6546|ALBERTA> CANADA
it owns my army of 1337(yea i know 1337 i had lost men in a battle just be 4) men took on the british army of 4000 men and i wone it was in oben goround i killed them my men were in the bushes and we sloterd 500 of em befor they even engaged my it was sweet at the end i only had 200 men left but still i pwned them
Sorcerer0513
+18|6543|Outer Space
What fun. I capture Wales and Scotland, and then a heretic with some extreme piousness appears, I mean even the damn bishop had problems with it. Needless to say, Christianity % went way down.

Then France decides to attack me. Great, I defeat all the invading armies, and decide to execute the prisoners to teach them(France, not prisoners obviously) a lesson. Needless to say, the pope wasn't impressed. Combine that with the low Christianity % and you get: AN INQUISITOR. Killed a couple royals.

But at least I was winning against France, right? WRONG. As I lay siege to a french city, Pope comes and says he's upset with Christians fighting each other and that we have to stop or he'll be really pissed. K, I can do that.

But by that time my rep with him was getting low. So Portugal and Denmark decide to lay siege to some of my cities. Fine, seeing I have the strongest army, piece of cake, right? WRONG. Seeing they had a good rep with the pope, you guessed it, my rep sank even lower. GOOD DAY MR. INQUISITOR.

And now I can't get rid of those damn fools. Two of them, very skilled, at least three quarters of the skill bar, and my assassins are still rookies. You know what the fun part is? France was excommunicated one turn after those idiot Portuguese landed in wales. WONDERFUL!

I am now in a war with France, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, pope hates me, Holy Roman Empire looks like it will attack me any time now, there is plague in Belgium, inquisitors killed the first heir to the throne, second will probably die in the crusade(too late to turn around, besides, have to get on the pope's good side somehow).

Oh yeah, inquisitors are having fun in Scotland and Normandy killing anyone of value and I'm practically broke. All on medium difficulty. GG me. BUT I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I had to vent and the more recent thread was only about factions, so I decided not to derail.

P.P.S. Can't I found my own religion, like good old Henry when pope was bugging him?
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6389|New York
this is why this game is so freaking cool. because it is rediculous that that. i'm still working through my short campaign with france. england is off the mainland, i have alliances with milan, egypt and portugal. so far things are looking up. pretty soon i'm going to land a force on england's shores and steamroll them.

i've pissed off the pope a bit, but i'm going to bribe him back to good standing. an inquisitor hung one of my priests, would love to assassinate him. but anyway, the british isles are next on the list and i plan on keeping spain cut off from the rest of the world. i'm going to try to convince portugal to attack spain to soften them up a bit for me.

with any luck i won't get attacked from the east while i'm doing this, but that's all subject to change. the holy roman empire is beginning to make me uneasy; i would love to take them out.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
love this game
Sorcerer0513
+18|6543|Outer Space
Yes, things can turn around pretty quickly. Me, I'm making some progress in France right now. Pope changed, so I'm neutral again .

Oh, and the AI is completely retarded when it comes to sieges. At least when you try to break them. I sent two ballistas(4 in reality as two are grouped as one unit) outside the gate, together with some spearmen for protection, and calvary on the flanks, and the fools didn't even move.

I decimated their entire army with those ballistas, I mean like 100 troops died, and then my reinforcements arrived and wiped them out(Cavalry FTW). I didn't loose a single man. And I don't mean unit, I mean a single man from a single unit .

Last edited by Sorcerer0513 (2007-01-18 15:30:33)

bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6690|London, UK
who dont?

Anyone got an idea how to defeat timurid elephants cause erm well they trample yr whole army of 500 men in about ten seconds as soon as the walls/gates are down...
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647

bullit wrote:

who dont?

Anyone got an idea how to defeat timurid elephants cause erm well they trample yr whole army of 500 men in about ten seconds as soon as the walls/gates are down...
Haven't run into eles yet but fire always scared them in Rome. I assume it still does.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

mikeyb118 wrote:

My only problem with this game is that they have not entirely removed the clone armies, there are not enough variations in textures for the units so you have 3 or 4 or the same people repeated in the unit.
That sounds about like every other strategy game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard