PlaneWhore
+59|6781
You're only about a 16 months late to the party Patton. Just like when hitting other aircraft with the nose cannon, or hitting other helicopters with TV missiles you need to aim where your target was rather than where they currently are (and the gap gets larger depending on the server and how fast they're moving). It's called hitbox lag.

The crap netcode in BF2 has always been one of my biggest complaints which is why I find it laughable that they decided to use this horrible engine for the huge failure that is 2142.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6614|S.C.
Good demo, interesting.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6782|Cambridge (UK)

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Ha, that happens even when the target isn't moving at all.
Exactly - shitty code.
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6704|UK
I've been aching to post on this thread since I got banned 3 days ago and after 4 pages I'm suprised nobody has said what I'm about to..

Before 1.4 was released, there were many people asking if the F-35b was going to be made equal with the J-10, or at least provide more competition in the air. Some site asked about the hit detection and if it would be fixed. A reply from someone at dice said something like this:

"We do know about the difference between the F35 and the J10 and a few weeks ago I took a crash course (no pun intended) on hitbox detection and we came to the conclusion that it'd take weeks of trial and error to fix the hitboxes in BF2, which we arent prepared to go through"

Basically, they are too lazy to fix the shitty hitboxes and they arent going to. F35bs will always lose to J10 and will never provide good competition in the air.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6408|Southern California
WOW this video is nuts, Ive seen missed hits but they were just unloading on each other point blank with no results...

This always pisses me off when Knifing....Thats when I notice it the most. Ive had it so bad that get 3 knife hits before the guy actualy died. twice I watched dust come off, and the sound effect play while nothing happens to the guy...

How come it can properly log the location of the hit to make the model react, and to make the dust cloud, but not to harm the guy?
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6779

I've been giving it some thought and here's my reasoning of why this stuff happens.

It looks like there are two parts to hits. One part is the actual hit-box hit, and another part is the animation of the hit. We all know that hit detection happens on the server itself, but from the looks of it, the animation is dependent on the individual's computers.

Consider this: When your enemy is strafing, there are delays in the information that is being relayed to you. This means that the troop is really in front of where he appears in your screen. Lets say that DICE put the hit-boxes directly on the troops. You would NEVER be able to hit a moving target since you'd have no idea where the troop really is at any given time. It would all depend on ping and how fast he is moving.

So what do coders do, they place the hit-box behind the troop. In an ideal world, this would mean that on your screen, both hit-box and troop display fall directly on-top of each other. However computer code is not perfect and so inaccuracies happen that cause all of the phenomena we see in BF2. It'd be possible to write code to match many instances such as reversing directions, both troops strafing together, etc, but there is a huge trade off (lots of time, minor improvements in hit-detection) that might be a bit prohibitive for the company.

Now, that takes care of the hit box. But what about the puffs of smoke? Well I'm guessing that these animations happen client-side, not server-side. There's one major reason I think this and its' because these animations happen instantly. You can tell there is a tiny, millisecond delay between when you shoot, and when you get the crosshairs hit flash or the kill, so this is obviously info being sent from the server. But the puff of smoke happens instantly so it has to come from your computer. So if you aim directly at the troop's on screen, you see a puff of smoke because your computer recognizes that as a hit, but according to the server, you missed the hit box. This is very speculative of me, but it kinda makes sense.

So yes, to us it seems like the hit-boxes are just fucked up, but there is a reason that hit-boxes are placed behind the enemy in games like this. This lets us play games like this where there are 60ms delays that would ruin game play for us since we'd never be able to hit shit. Of course this causes certain situations like the ones we have become used to seeing,but hopefully code will advance to make hit detection an accurate science.
eagles1106
+269|6600|Marlton, New Jersey.

fierce wrote:

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTwGSrjsgo

now if something lse in this game needs to be fixed in a patch, it is this....
Don't blame the game for your lack of skill. The projectile travels with a velocity and therefore you're not able to hit the target if you aim exactly on it and the target moves. Lead it and you would've hit it everytime.

Hitdetection/registration due to a laggy server is something completely different, in the video you see a perfect example of an aim-newb.

After watching the rest of the video, the server is shit and your aim. ^^
Doesnt matter buddy.  At ANY ranges he was shooting the targets at he would have to lead.  In the game and in real life, projectiles travel at speeds great enough so that at any of those ranges you wouldnt have to lead, it would still make contact with the target.
deadawakeing
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm
+145|6498
i dont give a fuck
ECH
+50|6659|Some where near you
makes you wish you could write in "clicks" and makea server a specific click
ECH
How much you want to bet this same problem exist in BF2142?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6726|Oklahoma City
Just a comment to all who were saying it was ping/lag issues on a bad connection/bad server... He hits tab at one point in the video, and his ping looks to be 67 or so... I wouldn't call that outside the normal realm of pings by any means, and in fact, it isn't bad at all... When the cloud of dust appears on the player model, then obviously the game registered it as hitting there. When the cloud of dust shows up on a wall 10 feet to his left and 10 yards behind him, but it registers as a hit, "the server" and "ping time" are not the factor there...
ECH
interesting find to the guy with the online tweaks
saitek-x52-pilot
+1|6729
ECH thanx for the karma.  first one actually for me.  One guy even potsed after I posted that "the game should compensate for your ping.  it knows what it is"  Doh scroll up and look for my post. 

You can tweak your ping depending on what you average ping is. 

If your smart and play on the same server (VSSQ 70.85.244.154) like I do (shamless plug) I have the same ping everytime.  I got my latency compensation set to a 50 ping and I rarely have problems.  it is an online game so it not exact everytime but its alot better when you fine tune it. 

I get running sniper shots all the time.  running headshots are the best. 

Also check us out at vitalshotsquad.com for one of the best admined servers out there.  the game is enjoyable and 20-30 people using VOIP and ventrillo all the time.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6779|d
I knew it, bf2 was all bs.
Flonster
Karma Ratio whore
+178|6562|-removed you know why- mod
i heard it is the cpu to network time delay....
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6596|Melbourne, Australia.

ECH wrote:

as far as I know it does, well, atleast with a knife .
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6637|Gold coast, Aus.

ECH wrote:

From my experience , its fixed in 2142.

aaand up yours silver beat me to it

Last edited by gene_pool (2006-12-06 03:48:40)

(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6845|Grapevine, TX
FFS, this explains why... after 2 and a half years.................................................................................................................................................

Yes I had to post.....to find this again...
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6825|Marathon, Florida Keys
You serious teflon? Rezing my old ass topic? /fail

now its gonna get locked

Last edited by .:ronin:.|Patton (2008-01-23 16:57:31)

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
avman633
+116|6380
lol, old thread back from the dead. Did you say that, see what I did with that rhyme?
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6554|Internetfitlerland

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

FFS, this explains why... after 2 and a half years.................................................................................................................................................

Yes I had to post.....to find this again...
Congratulations, you've been awarded 'Expert Thread Medic'
TheArkOfGod
Banned
+8|6791
why do people still play this game?...it sux
CloakedStarship
+76|6581

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

And here I am thinking everyone knew the hitreg in this game is shit. 

TheArkOfGod wrote:

why do people still play this game?...it sux
If this game sucks so much, then why bother posting in a forum dedicated to it.
-=Colonel_Zero=-
+2|6507|California
nvm

Last edited by -=Colonel_Zero=- (2008-01-23 18:49:26)

[email protected]
+28|6240
Let's put up at 10,000 replies, Lez Fix It thread. Everyone can put up their own input on how the game should be fixed, bad or good, and send the link to EA (or chuy).

Last edited by [email protected] (2008-01-23 19:25:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard