lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/16/terro … index.html

2 and half years for treason...........she should be shot.

Last edited by lowing (2006-10-16 17:24:36)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
This is just crazy.  It really saddens me to see people who fancy themselves "civil rights activists" aid terrorists.  It gives a bad name to all those who stand up for the "little guy."

It's never good to stand up for the little guy that wants to blow you up....
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Turquoise wrote:

This is just crazy.  It really saddens me to see people who fancy themselves "civil rights activists" aid terrorists.  It gives a bad name to all those who stand up for the "little guy."

I hate it when you make sense, it totally disarms me.............stop it.
jonsimon
+224|6491

lowing wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/16/terror.trial.ap/index.html

Yes, along with all the good-natured christians who help the disenfranchised.

Honestly, I don't buy it. What motive would a little old lady have to intentionally help someone of ill-will?
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6556

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well gentlemen, I hate to break it to you but people like her is what make this country the greatest. As retarded as it sounds, defending the guilty is part of are justice system and thats what sets us apart from the Axis of Evil.
Turquoise
O Canada
LOL...  I'm not sure why you say that, but if it's because I'm socially liberal, no worries man.

Being liberal in some respect doesn't make you sympathetic to terrorists.  If anything, true liberals should find terrorism more repulsive than social conservatives when the cause itself is ultraconservative.

What really confounds me is how some liberals can possibly relate to Islamism.  In the Middle Eastern world, liberals and reformists are pro-Western and anti-Islamist.  Why can't this be more true in the First World?
Turquoise
O Canada

rawls2 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well gentlemen, I hate to break it to you but people like her is what make this country the greatest. As retarded as it sounds, defending the guilty is part of are justice system and thats what sets us apart from the Axis of Evil.
I understand what you're saying, but it scares me to think that she would receive such a warm reception for aiding terrorists.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker
Word, lock n load.  America doesn't have the stomach to properly defend herself against traitors like she used to.  Instead we give them a light sentence because they did some good.  News flash: the good of the past doesn't outweigh treason!  Wake up judge!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Turquoise wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

lowing wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but it scares me to think that she would receive such a warm reception for aiding terrorists.
I am not surprised 1 bit.
Stingray24

rawls2 wrote:

Um, SHE is the guilty and she aided terrorists who want to kill us.  She is a poor excuse for an American and is NOT what make this country great.  *loads rifle*

Last edited by Stingray24 (2006-10-16 17:45:58)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
Under FDR she might well have been shot for treason.

Today...she'll get a book deal.

Go Bush
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Honestly, I don't buy it. What motive would a little old lady have to intentionally help someone of ill-will?
Wait a minute!!............All you have done is scream how we are holding POW's in Gitmo without due process, now this bitch has had her due process and was found guilty, and you now call BULLSHIT!!?? GOD I hate liberals!!
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6556

Stingray24 wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

Um, SHE is the guilty and she aided terrorists who want to kill us.  She is a poor excuse for an American and is NOT what make this country great.  *loads rifle*
Don't misunderstand, put her on the firing line and I'd pull the trigger before they said go. I was just using this as an example as why we are the cowboys wearing white.

......rides into the sunset.......
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6718|Eastern PA
She released a statement by her client to the press...which the gov't has decided is "providing material support to terrorists"...I'm generally in favor of harsh punishment of terrorism perpetrators, but this isn't exactly selling nuclear secrets to the DPRK. Which is why the sentence is only 2.5 years and not life (or death).
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Masques wrote:

She released a statement by her client to the press...which the gov't has decided is "providing material support to terrorists"...I'm generally in favor of harsh punishment of terrorism perpetrators, but this isn't exactly selling nuclear secrets to the DPRK. Which is why the sentence is only 2.5 years and not life (or death).
"NEW YORK (AP) -- A firebrand civil rights lawyer who has defended Black Panthers and anti-war radicals was sentenced Monday to nearly 2½ years in prison for helping an imprisoned terrorist sheik communicate with his followers on the outside."

not hardly.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida
liberal hero?  lowing, honestly, sometimes I get the impression that you're on drugs or severly alcoholic.
kilgoretrout
+53|6466|Little Rock, AR
well, according to the article, she didn't realize she was aiding terrorists.  i definitely think her sentence should've been heavier, but i don't think she should be killed for accidental treason.  don't get me wrong, i fully believe real traitors, like the american al-quada guy, should definitely be executed.  but apparently this woman didn't realize she was providing material aid to the terroists.
Stingray24

Masques wrote:

That's ok.  *pats traitor on the head* It was only a little treason.  We'll let ya slide.
jonsimon
+224|6491

lowing wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Wait a minute!!............All you have done is scream how we are holding POW's in Gitmo without due process, now this bitch has had her due process and was found guilty, and you now call BULLSHIT!!?? GOD I hate liberals!!
I said I don't believe she has any motive, and thus is likely not guilty of intentionally commiting any crime. I never complained about her sentence, I just said I can't personally convict her without seeing the trial. Way to jump the gun.
kilgoretrout
+53|6466|Little Rock, AR

lowing wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

your generalizations crack me up.  i'm socially pretty liberal, but fiscally i fall in with conservatives (unlike our president).  however, i totally agree that we can't hold public trials for the terrorists in gitmo, because then the terrorists on the outside will know of those prisoners are alive or dead.  as it stands, the terrorists on the outside can't be sure if someone is in gitmo or if they were killed in a raid, so they don't know exactly what information we might be able to gain from the prisoners.  however, those people should have closed trials conducted by military intelligence officials to determine whether or not they're actually guilty.  they need a defense lawyer to make sure they're treated humanely, but that lawyer should be someone from our military that won't leak any info.  all liberals don't freak out about gitmo and then call "bullshit" about this woman's case.  i said above, i think she deserves a harsher punishment, but you're making it out like she was purposefully aiding terrorists.  she didn't realize what she was doing according to the article you cited.
Turquoise
O Canada

kilgoretrout wrote:

well, according to the article, she didn't realize she was aiding terrorists.  i definitely think her sentence should've been heavier, but i don't think she should be killed for accidental treason.  don't get me wrong, i fully believe real traitors, like the american al-quada guy, should definitely be executed.  but apparently this woman didn't realize she was providing material aid to the terroists.
If this is actually true, then it's a tough call.  The part that bothers me is how she doesn't seem disturbed in the slightest by her actions.  I'd personally be ashamed of myself even if I "accidentally" aided terrorists.
jonsimon
+224|6491

Turquoise wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

If this is actually true, then it's a tough call.  The part that bothers me is how she doesn't seem disturbed in the slightest by her actions.  I'd personally be ashamed of myself even if I "accidentally" aided terrorists.
You make it sound like it's cut and dry. They might not even seem like terrorists to her. It's not like she was transporting explosives or arms. They might have just been poor men who wanted to speak with their family or friends. From here we honestly cannot tell, and thus, cannot derive our own actions in her position.
kilgoretrout
+53|6466|Little Rock, AR

jonsimon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

You make it sound like it's cut and dry. They might not even seem like terrorists to her. It's not like she was transporting explosives or arms. They might have just been poor men who wanted to speak with their family or friends. From here we honestly cannot tell, and thus, cannot derive our own actions in her position.
But we do know that they were involved in plots to attack New York and assassinate that Eqyptian.  She would've known that much and should've been more careful about releasing statements from them.  There's a good reason that we don't allow people involved in terroristic plots to speak to their families or friends...  Their families and friends are capable of carrying out the plans that the ones in prison can't.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6718|Eastern PA

Stingray24 wrote:

Masques wrote:

That's ok.  *pats traitor on the head* It was only a little treason.  We'll let ya slide.
Do you have a substantive reply? Or are you going to muster some kind of critical response from that shriveled brain rattling around in your head?

All links mention that she passed messages between the Sheikh and his group but don't mention if the messages had any sort of operational benefit (which would likely be closer to the definition of treasonous behaviour). I'm saying that the gov't didn't have enough to make a conviction of treason, because her offense seems to have been violating a DoJ restriction. She should have definitely been disbared (if not for anything other than defying protocol), but

The reason I'm arguing that this is not treason is that under the rather expansive definitions that seem to be operable in this thread, the military personnel ordered to defend terror suspects at GITMO and elsewhere and those that have leaked gov't information could have possibly engaged in treasonous behaviour.
Turquoise
O Canada

jonsimon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

Fair enough...  Facts are certainly better than conjecture....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard