=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6559|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
On now!  More 4 (Sky chaNNEL 142)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5302598.stm
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6557|USA bitches!
Would you watch a movie made by an American which depicts someone murdering the royal family out of hate, just because they can? Thought so..
d3athwi5h4
insert clever title here
+59|6522|Kickapoo
=OBS= EstebanRey

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Would you watch a movie made by an American which depicts someone murdering the royal family out of hate, just because they can? Thought so..
You seemed to have assumed my answer before I had chance to reply.

Well, sorry to disapoint you but yes I would because, guess what?  IT'S FAKE! Make believe, a fairy tale.

Geez a friend was telling me how serious the Americans take themselves and judging by that, I have to agree,  Lighten up, it didn't really happen!

P.S I enjoyed Braveheart and the Patriot even though both were riddled with errors that portrayed the British as either evil or less adequate...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

To bad I don't get channel 4 over here. Report back on what you think of it please.
=OBS= EstebanRey

ghettoperson wrote:

To bad I don't get channel 4 over here. Report back on what you think of it please.
Someone will probably upload it to goole video or bitorrent so I'll post a link if I find one.

He's still alive at time of posting btw
IRONCHEF
+385|6500|Northern California
Yeah, i want a copy of that video.  It may be false hope..but hope nonetheless.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
And from the time whence el Presidente is removed, how many more are going to be killed in concordance with the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 in order to get somebody that people want as their president?
liquix
+51|6463|Peoples Republic of Portland

IRONCHEF wrote:

That makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time =*)
IRONCHEF
+385|6500|Northern California
Damn...so Leavitt would be the first in that succession I'd be able to stomache.
    * The Vice President Richard Cheney
    * Speaker of the House John Dennis Hastert
    * President pro tempore of the Senate Ted Stevens
    * Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
    * Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
    * Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
    * Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
    * Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne
    * Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns
    * Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez
    * Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao
    * Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt
    * Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Alphonso Jackson
    * Secretary of Transportation Vacant
    * Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman
    * Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings
    * Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson
    * Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff

Wow, i can imagine if Gonzales was president...ouch. 

But what's funny is that Ted Stevens is up near the top...this is the guy who thinks the Internets is a bunch of tubes!
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6662

ghettoperson wrote:

I thought it was really good. 

[SPOILERS!]
The American government handle it exactly as you'd expect them to.  They find someone with an Arab name who works in the building where the shots were fired, called him a terrorist because he'd met an Al Qaeda recruiter once, been to training in Afghanistan but pulled out, and served as a soldier in Syria, and got him put on death row based on a partial match and a bit of gunshot residue. 

The real culprit was US veteran who blamed Bush because one son died from an IEDs and the other got messed up mentally and had turned to drugs, who pulled it off military style using leaked documents of Bush's schedule, who then drove into a forest an shot himself once he'd killed Bush. 

Of course, as far as the public and media was concerned it was already an Al Qaeda terrorist incident, so even though there were token internal investigations to find the government leak that lead to the document getting out, the guy they framed didn't look like he was getting out any time soon.  The attitude was that he'd dabbled in terrorism (he was actually against it) so he deserved to rot in prison whether he did it or not.

Essentially, the son of the veteran (himself a veteran) knew his dad did it, and knew his dad wouldn't have wanted an innocent man imprisoned, but essentially there was only circumstantial evidence linking his dad (e.g. the copies of the schedule document, maps marked with the buildings and positions involved, and one grainy shot of him leaving the building) so it looks like the official explanation is going to stick.
[/SPOILERS!]

EDIT: It wasn't anywhere near as good as The Departed which I went to see yesterday.

EDIT: And lol @ the US government worrying about the dramatisation of the assassination of a president, that's just a minor pretext for to the real message.  What this film is really saying they will mercilessly fuck over innocent people to help sway public opinion in the war on terror.  Funny they didn't seem to notice or mind that bit.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-10-09 16:55:43)

=OBS= EstebanRey

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

EDIT: And lol @ the US government worrying about the dramatisation of the assassination of a president, that's just a minor pretext for to the real message.  What this film is really saying they will mercilessly fuck over innocent people to help sway public opinion in the war on terror.  Funny they didn't seem to notice or mind that bit.
Spot on!  The assassination was at the start of the film and the whole thing was about the aftermath and how the US (or UK probably) government would deal with the shooting of it's leader in the current climate.  If the film was only about a mock assassination, it would have happened at the end with the previous part of the film being the build up so I also think the Republican party aren't really seeing the bigger picture of the film.

Perhaps fittingly, the US reaction to this film proves the point that the production intended to make; that the US likes to simplify things into good/evil 100% right/100% wrong with no inbetween.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6637|IRELAND

Jenkinsbball wrote:

John Rambo helping what would become the taliban fighting against the evil red Russians....ohhh wait they are our friends now....................just shut up!!!
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6570
I don't get it: depict a semi-fictional account of Hitler's last days, and it's a great movie.  Depict a hypothetical deaht and it's an issue?
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6662

Jenkinsbball wrote:

That'd be cool.  Someone do it, please.

edit: and LOL at Republicans calling for it not to be screened... they've just proved every American who said Free Speech means that Muslim leaders shouldn't complain about the cartoons wrong.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-10-10 02:50:57)

Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6709|MoVal So-Cal

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Jenkinsbball wrote:

You seemed to have assumed my answer before I had chance to reply.

Well, sorry to disapoint you but yes I would because, guess what?  IT'S FAKE! Make believe, a fairy tale.

Geez a friend was telling me how serious the Americans take themselves and judging by that, I have to agree,  Lighten up, it didn't really happen!

P.S I enjoyed Braveheart and the Patriot even though both were riddled with errors that portrayed the British as either evil or less adequate...
Ditto, I, being United States-ian (America is a part of the world and is 2 seperate continents, north and south. Seeings how i live in the US which is a country in the American northern continent I just though i would attach one of them slick "ian" things to United states. Why?......I dont know) see the movie as strictly fiction, we make many movies about killing another world leader. Kim Jong-IL didnt have a fit when Team America came out now did he? Lighten up!
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6709|MoVal So-Cal

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I thought it was really good. 

[SPOILERS!]
The American government handle it exactly as you'd expect them to.  They find someone with an Arab name who works in the building where the shots were fired, called him a terrorist because he'd met an Al Qaeda recruiter once, been to training in Afghanistan but pulled out, and served as a soldier in Syria, and got him put on death row based on a partial match and a bit of gunshot residue. 

The real culprit was US veteran who blamed Bush because one son died from an IEDs and the other got messed up mentally and had turned to drugs, who pulled it off military style using leaked documents of Bush's schedule, who then drove into a forest an shot himself once he'd killed Bush. 

Of course, as far as the public and media was concerned it was already an Al Qaeda terrorist incident, so even though there were token internal investigations to find the government leak that lead to the document getting out, the guy they framed didn't look like he was getting out any time soon.  The attitude was that he'd dabbled in terrorism (he was actually against it) so he deserved to rot in prison whether he did it or not.

Essentially, the son of the veteran (himself a veteran) knew his dad did it, and knew his dad wouldn't have wanted an innocent man imprisoned, but essentially there was only circumstantial evidence linking his dad (e.g. the copies of the schedule document, maps marked with the buildings and positions involved, and one grainy shot of him leaving the building) so it looks like the official explanation is going to stick.
[/SPOILERS!]

EDIT: It wasn't anywhere near as good as The Departed which I went to see yesterday.

damnit....i wanted to see the movie too
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Jenkinsbball wrote:

That'd be cool.  Someone do it, please.

edit: and LOL at Republicans calling for it not to be screened... they've just proved every American who said Free Speech means that Muslim leaders shouldn't complain about the cartoons wrong.
Bloody hypocrites.

I think that would make a very amusing film. You could have a News of the World journalist, who's secretly a hitman, undercover in the Palace - sneaking around at night, shooting corgis before eventually taking out the Queen and hopefully some of the others.

I just wish I'd remembered to watch Death Of A President.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6751|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Agreed the movie Braveheart was riddled with historic inaccuracies, however their portrayal of the British English was spot on.       MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha....... haha....ha
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
What about the crazy Irishman Stephen, Calibre? Is his portrayl accurate?

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-10-10 06:22:25)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6751|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
what about him? Oh i'd say probably most definately

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-10-10 06:25:38)

The Magic Mullet
+240|6433
IF Dubya was shot...

1. It would be on YouTube within 20 minutes.

2. It would be blamed on some random country with oodles of oil

3. It would leave Tony Blair without someone to cuddle on a cold winters night.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I'm all for alternate history, but short of something as wildly far-fetched as an alien spacecraft crashing into the White House, I'd say using a President while he's in office for that kind of dramatization is a bit indecent, if not "eager."

I wouldn't have liked a "redneck shoots Clinton" movie in the 90's, either.

JahManRed wrote:

Jenkinsbball wrote:

John Rambo helping what would become the taliban fighting against the evil red Russians....ohhh wait they are our friends now....................just shut up!!!
Yeah, but he wasn't popping any birthmarked-forehead either. But the Russians still didn't care too much for the movie, by the way.

IRONCHEF wrote:

This is why I don't vote liberal. They cover up dreams of assassination and public stoning with "it's for the children!"

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-10 07:12:07)

alpinestar
+304|6605|New York City baby.
apparently im the only one on rewind and play button allover again and again and again and ....
=OBS= EstebanRey

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yeah, but he wasn't popping any birthmarked-forehead either. But the Russians still didn't care too much for the movie, by the way.
So you're saying it is better for a movie to portray the killings of hundreds of men as oppsoed to one and all because of social status? Depiction of 1 World leader's death = wrong, depiction of of lots of soldiers dying = right.  That's some weird logic and I really hope you don't value your life lower than anyone else's because I certainly don't regard Tony Blair as more deserving to life than me (especially seeing as i have never been responsible for hundreds of thousand of Iraqi and British deaths!!)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard