Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6849
An unofficial petition to EA, to add more cool stuff to the game

[Disclaimer: Yes, I'm fully aware that this isn't the place to post game improvements. But as you'll see, they're not serious suggestions to EA, but rather are intended as a humorous break from all the whinging and whining, and "omg, why don't my stats update?" posts making up the majority of the rest of the forums at the moment. Please feel free to add your own suggestions, but do avoid anything sensible, won't you?]

Dear Electronic Arts/Dice

Since the weapons unlocks aren't all that special (and in fact, are often even less lethal than the standard weaponry... I mean, DAO? Who wants a shotgun that looks like it's been built from spare washing machine parts?), I respectfully ask that you add other unlockable rewards for my amazing combat prowess. Here are some ideas I've had.

Shades. After all, what better way is there to tell the world that you're a badass MOFO than wearing shades? Many of the maps are middle-eastern desert terrain, where the sun can be very strong. I don't see how my solider can function to the best of his (my) ability, without some expensive mirrored shades.

All the best ice-cold killers wear shades, I think I should get a pair too.

Cigar commanders only. Everyone knows that all the best commanders have to spit our their yankee drawl around the ends of a big fat cuban cigar. It's how they prove they're tough, even a nasty spluttery death by lung cancer doesn't scare them! Yes SMOKING KILLS!, but considering the average life expectancy of a soldier in BF2 is somewhere around a minute past insertion, I don't think the long term risks of cancer and heart disease is really going to be a problem for them.

Radio for my hummer. Nothing beats the feeling of flying over the crest of a hill guns blazing to the guitar rifts and screaming vocals of "War!" and other great themes from 'Nam. And some nice tunes to pass the time while camping..um defending.. some chokepoint somewhere would be good too. I could also play some really loud trance music when queuing up to get out of the base, queues just aren't the same if you can't make all the cars around you bounce to the beat of your oversized amp.

Rickshaw. Since when did the Chinese have cars and tanks? Anyone who has been there knows the only way to travel is to sit in a small cart and have a little man in a funny hat run around pulling it for you. These guys are fearless! If they can brave the streets of Beijing, they can certainly go up against a tank without breaking into a sweat. They're also cheap, built from 30 cents (or whatever the equivalent value is in Chinese money) worth of second hand wood, and the only running cost is that you continue to refrain from shooting the poor chap in the back of the head, and give him a bowl of rice every night.

I'm sure the brains behind this great game can come up with many more similar experience-enriching features for a future patch. I look forward to seeing myself on a battlefield shortly, looking like the badass killing machine that I am.

Regards,
Lance Corporal Sarum.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6842
clap, clap , clap, clap.....clap.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
Where do I sign up, this guys ahead of his time
MardukeV
+0|6838|Washington, DC
my friend, i couldnt agree with you more! shades for all!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

+10 point for this post.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

good stuff indeed!
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6848|Australia
yeah what about givin the commanders a nuke silo? own the whole map in seconds... i mean no nukes whats the go.... and dont forget the radio active fall out so no one can spawn and live for the rest of the round after its gone off..
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6845|Bryan/College Station, TX
Nah the nuke should end the game. In the final seconds a nuke just falls and glasses the entire map. Blinding flash of light and cut to slagged buildings and then the winning stats before changing maps. Ahh the sweet sweet buzz of radiation.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6849
Ooh, I’ve been stickied! *goes to shower*

Further to my previous correspondence, I have yet to see any of the changes I proposed. I realise you must be very busy people, and that some of these are fairly hard to implement (a good pair a shades are damn hard to find, especially as the fashion now appears to be to wear dark disks the size of small dinner plates on your face instead). Therefore I thought I'd help you out by suggesting some more features, with enough features of this type you could make it an expansion pack that you could charge money for, thereby making it easier to justify spending programmer time on it. I propose:

BF2: JNC
BattleField 2: Just Not Cricket

Introducing the eternal allies: the Brits, into the highly contested warzones of BattleField 2. Until now, the USMC has faced the horrors of BF2 alone, but not any more. Cool, focused, highly trained and hard as nails, the Brits are the perfect compliment to their powerful, aggressive but slightly stupid and reckless American cousins. The Brits bring their own unique armoury and skills to the battle, and are more than a match for the MEC and Chinese.

If you have any doubt of the British coolness under fire, there are several documented occasions on which they have played cricket at or near the frontlines during breaks in combat. It takes a special kind of focus to play a sport in which tea and scones are an integral part of the game, and then jump straight into a fierce urban firefight.

The English accent (presumably badly voiced by American voice actors) would keep everyone amused for hours. “What ho! Jalopy on the road old chap!” and “Err, I seem to have sustained a nasty flesh wound, would you be so good as to call a medic good sir?”

I look forward to hearing from you on this, and my previous suggestions.

Yours hopefully,
Lance Corporal Sarum

Last edited by Sarum (2005-08-11 11:56:06)

Preacher
In Hoc Signo Vinces
+1|6837|Netherlands, the
I LIKE my killing, portable washing machine boomstick!
And YEs.. Cigars (not Cuban), Wiley-X Pt1 Shades for my Soldiers and def!! the Radio feature like in bf-V.
g0at
addictive in nature
+0|6838
ROFL ya the brits would make a good add on for a new army but if your going to add them then your going to have to add some 1 else on the "axis" side of the fight Good ol fashioned Jihad Fighting Force (JFF) wouldnt be to bad give them some outragous weapons like http://www.big-boys.com/articles/recoilrifle.html (ROFL i love that clip) and maybe add a new theater of war Afghanastan just as long as we get some new damn maps
MardukeV
+0|6838|Washington, DC
wow....brits...thatd be cool
GODPSXDNS
+1|6844
Petitions never worked anywhere... i.e. vietnam war.
Ash_Buckley
+0|6838
You forgot the obligatory pig roast.
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6849
Not only am I sticky, I'm quoted in a sig! Success is mine!

Why don't you ever write back, or implement my ideas? They would be great! We could work together to produce something beautiful. Although I don't hold our hope, here is my final idea for additional BF2 content.

BF2: EO
BattleField2: Equal Opportunities

Anyone who has had a girlfriend (admittedly, not many of your customers or programmers) knows there is nothing quite so fearsome as an angry woman. I propose we introduce female soldier models into BF2, to fight alongside their male counterparts in defending or conquering. After all, we live in the modern age of political correctness and equal opportunity for all. Women have the right to die riddled full of bullets in a godforsaken dusty backwater country just as much as men do!

After playing several MMORPGs, I realise that you’re not a real man unless all your game characters have breasts. It’s important for red-blooded males to have the chance to play to their feminine side, and flirt with other guys via the anonymous wonder of the internet.

There are of course, several important factors in the implementation of this idea. Obviously, female uniforms should be considerably tighter than the baggy outfits the guys wear, showing off their impossibly narrow waistline and rounded hips. Their combat jackets should also be unzipped down to the above average cleavage, since what is the point in having the character with all the curves if you can’t see them? Whilst clothing like this probably hampers their survivability in the combat area, this is offset by the fact it will also seriously distract the enemy, it’s difficult to concentrate on driving your tank while trying to look down the top of a woman laid down on a nearby embankment.

Since you’re providing shades, cigars and other macho apparel in the unlocks for the guys, I feel it’s important that you provide similar features for the female models. This could include matching combat boots/gun sets in this seasons hot colour, pink; handbags loaded with that most explosive of commodities – the gossip mag – to replace the C4 satchel charges used by Spec Ops; and replacing pistols with long phone calls as the preferred method of slow and painful death

For the MEC, the female models would obviously be forced to dress conservatively with veils and the like, and wouldn’t be allowed to ride in the same APCs as the guys. However, they would also get the special massive area attack “Dance of the Seven Veils” which distracts marines in a large area, and converts them to the MEC cause.

This will be my last letter you, I’m about to drive off a bridge with my girlfriend (an inflatable woman called Mary) in the trunk. I hope you think of me sometime, and maybe implement some of my ideas. I’m sure my fellow games would appreciate that.

Lance Corporal Sarum
Stan.

[It will indeed be the last of such posts, I don't want to get to the point where the joke is old and unfunny. Don't worry, Lance Corporal Sarum will be back]
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

*single tear* you will be missed, oh hilarious chum!
MardukeV
+0|6838|Washington, DC
my god....this stuff is f***in' brilliant!
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-

Sarum wrote:

Not only am I sticky, I'm quoted in a sig! Success is mine!
Don't get so cocky
PermaG
+1|6848
On the Realside of adding and taking aaway things, why did they take out the in-vehicle radio as seen in BF:Vietnam?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-

PermaG wrote:

On the Realside of adding and taking aaway things, why did they take out the in-vehicle radio as seen in BF:Vietnam?
It could be heard by other players on both teams, which makes it conflict with other music being played, and even giving away positions. At least that's what I heard...
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6849

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

PermaG wrote:

It could be heard by other players on both teams, which makes it conflict with other music being played, and even giving away positions. At least that's what I heard...
Not like the engine of the hummer doesn't do that. Or the random n00b you picked up in the gunner slot who is busy trying to kill the road surface in front of you (what is it about gunner seats that forces people to fire constantly?).

It's probably because it's considered less a feature of the battlefield. It probably wasn't in 'Nam either, but films kinda created that impression so they put it in for a "authentic" feel. Modern battlefields are, we're told, much more professional places. Professional soldiers don't listen to music in their hummers...
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6841|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
As far as adding women to the game Sarum, did you ever play Joint Operations: typhoon rising? There were lots of female soldiers and typically they did the following for the team (not to sound sexist since most were probably sick little boys at home playing as girls):

1.   Crash the full transport choppers into the mountain side.
2.   Get shot a lot
3.   Fail to protect team CPs 5 meters away
4.   Play as medics and never heal a single person
5.   Get shot a lot
6.   Take the attack helicopters for joy rides and senic tours of the tropical landscape
7.   Lay prone on top of an enemy vehicle until fragged (rinse/repeat)
8.   Get      shot          a            lot
9.   Try desperately to cap a CP... that already belongs to her team
10. Drive the most beatiful jeeps into the lake/river/creek/ocean

On another note: How about adding to that spectacular list of goodies these items for the following teams:

For the MEC: towels (for headwear only), prayer rugs, vests of dynamite (not to be confused with the term from the show Good Times), spotty beards, various portraits of Saddam Hussein smiling on buildings, cars, tanks, etc, scimitars (curved swords) for each troop and finally crying Iraqi wife dressed in black that appears over ever dead troop for atmosphere

For the Chinese: straw hats, bags of rice.... everywhere, brand new copies of MC Hammer c.d.s in every vehicle, hair cuts like in Dragon Balls, karate fighting moves, the ability to jump from tree top to tree top, tea kettles, pickled dumplings, red stars on everything (even soldiers' cheeks) and finally more wives in mourning except in chinese this time

For the USMC: bibles, bigger muscles, nonchalant attitude (expressed when walking by shrugging like a true gangsta), iPods (and various other electronic items for entertainment), obnoxious reporters that only film the deaths of the MEC/Chinese troops, more gernades.... you can never have too many and finally for those who are not fortunate enough to have a cigar: bubblegum

O yes, it will be a different game after that patch. Version 5.8213 availible August 48, 2075.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6831|USA! USA! USA!

Sarum wrote:

Professional soldiers don't listen to music in their hummers...
Did you know that the SINCGARS radios operate basicaly on the AM dial?  If oyu go to a good country you can tiune your radio into a local station and listen to you hearts content.  The salsa music in El Salvador kept me alert while driving many nights and kept the locals friendly.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6839
I think we need surf boards for the maps with a lot of water in them.  But only for the USMC because "Charlie doesn't surf!"
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6831|USA! USA! USA!
I would like to request flip flops.  You can wear those things to any occasion!  There is nothing that can say "I'm with the in crowd, but I'm too lazy to be cool" like flip flops.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard