Jdren18_2RB
+0|6836|England
Well guys, very nice guide
is now on out forums as a must read

I have myslef blown up choppers with  tank, it feels so good, especially the black hawks

Just wondering, ne advise on what to do when it is sniper versus tank? lol

Again good job dude
Obeliximus
+0|6747
I would make an addition.  If you're waiting for armor (with others), hold down E instead of tapping it repeatedly to get in as soon as it spawns.
Turtle
+7|6755|Boulder, CO

Jdren18_2RB wrote:

Just wondering, ne advise on what to do when it is sniper versus tank? lol
Shoot the gunner and hide/run away.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

Obeliximus wrote:

I would make an addition.  If you're waiting for armor (with others), hold down E instead of tapping it repeatedly to get in as soon as it spawns.
hmmm...yes true, but that's more a tip for tank whores!!!   this is purely an armor guide:)
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6779
IMHO, this should be stickied or featured.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6767|Human Meat Shield
Ah.. now I can be a tank-whore! thanks for the guide I will take in consideration when I am arty to throw the arty out anyway. didn't know you can crawl underneath it. I've had many people 'steal' (even tho it's not mine to say') the tank that I just repaired.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

I'm embarrased to say that the advice I gave on going prone underneath the tank does not always work.  Anybody know what are the rules on this?  Usually it works but sometimes (i noticed the past couple of days) it doesn't. 

I'd like to clarify this in the guide!  Anyone help?
Bruce Dickenson
+0|6733
Either Sticky this or Put it in a special section for BF2S Guides!

Great guide...i like the fact that you update it with other people's posts
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6790
WRT going prone underneath a tank to avoid artillery fire, you're more than likely to take splash damage and this could well kill you.  I know from experience that the APC can take small amounts of splash damage from artillery.  Also, in Wake Island, you know those buildings where there's a corner missing and you can stand under the roof - been killed there by splash damage from artillery.
the_ubernoob_
+8|6741
I "steal" tanks from engineers whenever I can.... albeit they are enemy engineers....I'll vehicle surf (the safe lets hitch a ride way not the teamkill driver loses points way) on the tank or something if its a friendly.
=NAA=TheTaxidermist
+6|6732|In a van down by the river

superfly_cox wrote:

Definitive Guide To Armor Combat
1) First is to engage other armor.  This is your first priority.  Armor will tear infantry to shreds.  Even if you die in the process, you need engage the enemy armor to give your teammates a chance.  Tank whores will often not do this which gives a bad name to those who truly enjoy armor combat.

2) Support. Your job is to support your team’s attempts to take enemy flags.  Don’t rush in because you will become a c4 sandwich.  Capping flags is not your job, you are not suited for this.  Many people complain that armor spawn rapes, but this is not the case.  The job of armor is to pound the flag and allow your infantry to move in.  Ignore those that complain that you are “raping” because you are not trying to cap the flag.  Basically they are asking you to make it real easy for them to kill you…

3) Defend!  I know this is not popular but somebody needs to defend those crucial flags. Most maps have spawn points where armor spawns.  Usually if you lose this, you will lose the game.  Defend these at all costs.  Armor is slow, don’t use it to joyride around the map.  This doesn't mean that all armor should defend!  But at least one armor unit should be assigned to a key base.
As a tank whore, I would agree that all three of these things are true.  My first rule is to first... if there is anybody there, take out the TOW, as they can tear you up faster than any other piece of equipment (excluding c4).  Then would come taking out armor.  If you have chance, also make sure you pull back and get cover while you reload, leaving you less vulnerable to the other tanks attacks.

superfly_cox wrote:

-Be an Engineer: If you’re going to use armor then for gods sake please be an engineer.  There is nothing worse than a sniper in a tank.

-Constant Motion: Armor should never stand still.  You don’t have good vision (especially tank) and are begging to become a C4 sandwich.  One of the greatest joys of a Spec Ops is to blow up a tank.  They will rush you relentlessly so always be in motion.

-Repair Yourself:  Two strategies for repairing your tank.  First, is to go prone and crawl underneath the front of the vehicle.  Then keep spinning around as you repair to ensure that nobody sneaks up on you and takes your tank.  Another strategy is to be in constant motion as you repair the tank so that nobody can get a good shot at you.  Always be ready to press the “e” button should you fall under enemy fire.  There is no greater sin than to be killed while repairing a tank and essentially gift wrapping it for your opponents. 

-Buddy Up: Armor should stick together, especially if there are engineers in the vehicles.  You will be less vulnerable to attack.  Also you will heal each other!  Don't stick too close or a jet will ruin the party!

-Don’t Cap Flags: Armor is not made for capping enemy flags.  You’re too slow and have too poor a field of vision to be able to protect yourself from enemies that are spawning around you.  The only time you should ever go in to cap a flag is if you are in the company of friendly infantry or if there is a UAV overhead.

-UAV more important than Supply Crates: Too many people who use armor constantly call for supply crates.  Well, supply crates are fine especially if you’re not an engineer but they aren’t that useful when fighting against armor or antitank infantry.  Supply crates repair you too slowly to make a difference in a fierce fight.  What does make all the difference is UAV.  Call for it often if you are a tank.  The main weakness of armor is field of vision.  UAV puts eyes in the back of your head!!!

-Smoke: Overrated.  Use it when you’re in trouble but it often doesn’t do much good.  That enemy tank will still know where you are and the attack choppers don’t have much of a problem with it.  It is however fairly effective against anti-tank infantry but only if you use it early enough.  If you’re down to 25% health and use it then its too late.  Even if they don’t see you, they’ll get you.  Smoke can be effective against choppers, but usually its too late.

-Advice for Infantry: If you’ve read this far then you probably will understand that you shouldn’t stand behind the tank!!!!
I don't mind when people get in tanks, as long as you are an engineer.  Nothing insults me more.  Buddying up and repairing can be one in the same.  If you have a good gunner, he will be more than willing to hop out and repair you if necassary (as long as he is engineer.  He should also try and keep the spec ops off of you.  I would disagree with capping flags though.  Not only does it provide good cover for the infantry capping it, it caps the flag a lot faster.  Yes you are a target for c4 artists but if you are good enough then that won't be a problem.  Supply crates serve as a very useful tool in combat with tanks.  Think about it this way, you have a leg up on the other tank. When it may take you 3 hits to kill him, with the supply box on you, it may take him 4 to kill you, giving you a one hit advantage.  Smoke never works, never.  It only works when you are retreating down a hill.  And how often does this happen?  Yes, infantry, don't stand behind, in front of, or directly on the side of a tank, and then punish when you get tk'd.
sunji
+0|6727
Feature POST!!!!!!!

I spend a good amount of time in a tank and this is by far the best guide I have seen.  Good job:)
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

thanks for the support guys!
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6772|Hamburg, Germany

sunji wrote:

Feature POST!!!!!!!
What he said
SargeX_au
+29|6750

Obeliximus wrote:

Is this true? omg i always tap it  E as fast as i can and 90% of the time don't get it....so thats why
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6818

superfly_cox wrote:

-APC vs. APC: Usually the first to get the rocket shot in wins the battle.
a lot of people think this is true. it's not. assuming that two full health APCs are directly facing each other [firing the opponent's front armor], it is cannon fire that determines the winner. you only get one rocket in the fight, the reload will not be completed before someone dies. you have to assume that both drivers will use the missle and both missles will hit - essentially, think of it like 'as soon as i enter into a APC vs APC fight, i've already lost one rocket's worth of health.'

let's say that rocket does 75% damage. the remaining 25% has to be taken care of with the cannon. the smart APC driver starts firing his cannon as soon as he sees his opponent, meanwhile carefully aiming his missle to make sure that it hits. that way, his initial burst of cannon fire does the 25%, and the rocket will finish the enemy off. many people try to fire the missle as soon as they engage, but while guiding the rocket home, forget to keep up their cannon fire. in that case, even if you're the first to hit with the rocket, your opponent will beat you. why? he hit you with his cannon first, while you were worrying about the rocket. by the time your rocket did its 75% and you're starting to use your gun, he's already took you down to 60% and one rocket away from killing you.
Johnny_Reb65
+-1|6721
Great Guide to Tank Commanding!!! I think its funny ppl that rape us tank commanding units on air maps, tend to then make posts that we base rape on maps like Karkand when we kill the enemy far away until our forces take the command point.

Nice post should be a prime cut post!!!
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6739

!!!Featured Post!!!
Snakestyles
+17|6735|South Africa

superfly_cox wrote:

I'm embarrased to say that the advice I gave on going prone underneath the tank does not always work.  Anybody know what are the rules on this?  Usually it works but sometimes (i noticed the past couple of days) it doesn't. 

I'd like to clarify this in the guide!  Anyone help?
As far as i know the mec tank u can lie prone under but not the usmc, or is the other way.Will test tonight.
Snakestyles
+17|6735|South Africa
Yes, infantry, don't stand behind, in front of, or directly on the side of a tank, and then punish when you get tk'd.
Yea getting in sticky situation and trying to reverse in hurry can cause major team damage, i have personally reversed over and destroyed two full vodniks on Karkand, luckily wasnt PTK kicked but i did end up with like -20 or something.
ImaMedic
+1|6765|Where ever there's wounded
This is a really great post! I hope it gets featured. Just another thing to add.

Do your best to never ever leave your armor unless it's about to explode or that spec ops guy got past you. I can't tell you how many times I've stolen a tank because the driver left his seat to pump some lead into me or something.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

Here's a tip for Tanks vs Spec. Ops. I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but I sure as hell am not going to read the rest of this topic after reading through that whole first post.

If you see them coming up at you and you can't shoot them, run them over. It's that simple. If he's on the side and you just can't shoot him or run him over. Bail and run like hell. Maybe, just maybe you'll survive and the Spec. Ops guy, (who thinks he's secured a kill,) will be off guard. It has worked for me more than once, but relies a lot on luck.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
nitroglycerin [SWE]
+0|6725|Falsterbo Sweden

superfly_cox wrote:

-Repair Yourself:  Two strategies for repairing your tank.  First, is to go prone and crawl underneath the front of the vehicle.  Then keep spinning around as you repair to ensure that nobody sneaks up on you and takes your tank.  Another strategy is to be in constant motion as you repair the tank so that nobody can get a good shot at you.  Always be ready to press the “e” button should you fall under enemy fire.  There is no greater sin than to be killed while repairing a tank and essentially gift wrapping it for your opponents.
I have a tip for this. If you're going to repair your vehicle, lay an AT-mine on top of it in case somebody would feel like taking it. Then when you're finished you just use your wrench to remove the mine. And then you're ready to go
HoHo
+0|6645
Why the hell is this not a featured post yet???  Best...actually only...armor guide I have seen.

Admin sleeping on the job:)
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6785|Hanging onto the UAV
It's already in the Wiki. As far as I remember, it WAS a sticky, then put into the Wiki.

Sticky Wiki. Wikistick.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard