Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6783|The Hague, Holland
St.Maartens College in Voorburg

Exam class on high school, hard? Not really no.
But its sure fun
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6772|Atlanta, GA USA

pfcilng wrote:

redfoxster wrote:

Pig_Fooker wrote:

Computer Programmer, Web Designer, Security Consultant

Difficulty= 89.3
Importance= 98.1
Fun= 90
Time= 6.5 Years
Future= World Domination proceeding the fall of AOL(optimised)
Alright PFCilng, Im bumping your hardness up to 99, and mine 95.  I have much love and respect for all jobs computer science, but I have to be moderately fluent in C in addition to the full understanding of newtonian physics and thermodynamics and dynamic modelling, any of which would and does rival the hardness of a CS major, and I have compared work loads and difficulty with my bud zach at the University of Texas.  MEs have to master all 3 of those aswell as have the basics of chemistry, material science, and programming.  EEs have to cover a few more difficult Math classes than MEs and intro to circuits will destory like 99.9% of anyone who tried to take the class.  In my not so humble opinion, Engineers, especially EE and ME are the two most important professions behind farmers, the 2 most difficult professions period, and prolly the 2 least fun jobs. 

Begin the flaming from everyone....
Redfoxster, I completly forgot about all the programming I do.  Yeah C++ was easy compared to waht I am doing now.  Us EE's have to learn and use Assembler, I heard from the CS department that it was pretty tough.  We have to learn the code on our own pretty much, so we could us it in classes that require it.

Yeah, our Intro to circuits class has like a 50% fail rate, a professor graphed the results from the exam, most of the grades where in the F region.  ME could be pretty fun, if you get involved in the Mini Baja competitions.  We dont have fun projects like that.
I got my degree in EE.  I write assembly and C (not C++) code all day...  C is definitely much easier to write code in than Assembly.  The really only learn the basics in college (at least I did), so I still had a lot to learn when I started working here.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-11-17 07:58:20)

shortah
Oh did you want that tank?
+0|6772|Mechanicsville, VA
High School Network Administrator/Junior in College(M.I.S - Masters in Information Science)

Difficulty = 60
Importance = 90
Fun = 90
Time = going on 3 months
Future = Year or 2 till I graduate from College
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6848|Germany
We configure wide area network connections (POTS, ISDN, Internet/VPN) all over the world so that other people can use them to remotely fix problems on certain computer systems, additionally we care about certain wireless LAN and wired LAN setups.

Our department is divided into several subdepartmens like Incident Management, Configuration Management and so on. I am in the Problem Management group, and so the most and biggest bullshit is being thrown on my desk. I have to solve the problems the other groups can't solve, draw conclusions out of them, think about a change process, develop tools, have a look into our database and onto our servers, ... so I am the utility man there.

Difficulty: 75 -- it is a wide spread field and there is new bullshit coming every two minutes.
Importance: 75 decreasing -- more and more skilled people are joining our group.
Fun: 0-100 varying, general: 75 -- nicest colleagues on earth! But sometimes too much bullshit and too much stress (like trying to download and successfully install the new Oracle ODBC database driver -- been trying since last Wednesday, ended up in downloading and installing a 475MB sized package, and no ODBC driver there).
Time: since 2000. No end in sight.
Future: paid BF2/3/4 player.

Last edited by NiMhurchu (2005-11-17 08:09:13)

Kniero
Banned
+1|6747|AZ
Difficulty and importance can't be judged unless an identifying parameter set is known. Difficult compared to what? Important for what?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-

Kniero wrote:

Difficulty and importance can't be judged unless an identifying parameter set is known. Difficult compared to what? Important for what?
Can't you just answer the fucking question? Your post is considered to be unconstructive. Don't post if you just want to act like a jackass.
Kniero
Banned
+1|6747|AZ
I'm simply letting Horseman know that his post is flawed and needs rethinking; I see my last comment made as logical assistance more than anything.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-
Someone should ban you from the internet.
redfoxster
Chopper Whore Extraordinaire
+3|6774

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

RoflCopter
Kniero
Banned
+1|6747|AZ
No, R4wFuLlK4wPt0uR is the true, w337, term.
shortah
Oh did you want that tank?
+0|6772|Mechanicsville, VA

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Nah you should have a moron rating next your name, so that when you make incompetent remarks like that you can get a stupid slap and get banned from posting. There are too many flaming, incompetent morons out here who think they know all and are superman that should just get kicked in the face and banned permanently.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

Kniero wrote:

Jesus...
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Kniero wrote:

Can't you just answer the fucking question? Your post is considered to be unconstructive. Don't post if you just want to act like a jackass.
Thank you.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

atlvolunteer wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

redfoxster wrote:

Alright PFCilng, Im bumping your hardness up to 99, and mine 95.  I have much love and respect for all jobs computer science, but I have to be moderately fluent in C in addition to the full understanding of newtonian physics and thermodynamics and dynamic modelling, any of which would and does rival the hardness of a CS major, and I have compared work loads and difficulty with my bud zach at the University of Texas.  MEs have to master all 3 of those aswell as have the basics of chemistry, material science, and programming.  EEs have to cover a few more difficult Math classes than MEs and intro to circuits will destory like 99.9% of anyone who tried to take the class.  In my not so humble opinion, Engineers, especially EE and ME are the two most important professions behind farmers, the 2 most difficult professions period, and prolly the 2 least fun jobs. 

Begin the flaming from everyone....
Redfoxster, I completly forgot about all the programming I do.  Yeah C++ was easy compared to waht I am doing now.  Us EE's have to learn and use Assembler, I heard from the CS department that it was pretty tough.  We have to learn the code on our own pretty much, so we could us it in classes that require it.

Yeah, our Intro to circuits class has like a 50% fail rate, a professor graphed the results from the exam, most of the grades where in the F region.  ME could be pretty fun, if you get involved in the Mini Baja competitions.  We dont have fun projects like that.
I got my degree in EE.  I write assembly and C (not C++) code all day...  C is definitely much easier to write code in than Assembly.  The really only learn the basics in college (at least I did), so I still had a lot to learn when I started working here.
Dare I ask if They still use Fortran somewhere? I know it made a Brief Comeback as a Machine language. Fourth ?  know have I dated Myself. Watch "Alien" If you want to know what old Computer Screens looked like. Imagine playing Gato on that.

Ahem .....You know Getting good Crades Dosnt make you smart. You know that right?
KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6741|Fort Worth, Texas
I was a Cop in the Air Force and it was fun sometimes and bad when we were in extream cold or hot, ie, Resert Storm and Alaska. The pay was not good but to see the World was great. To see how others live and how we live, we are blessed to have been born American. I was a truck driver and it was good and bad. The highway driving was fun the City driving sucked. Also going to New York sucked. The pay was great. Now I am retired from all work (nasty) word. It is easy fun and even pays well, over $70,000 per year. God I love this country!!!
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6795|Idaho, USA / Age 30
I am a ISP Tech Support technician!!

how Hard is it  - Uhmm....Lets just say it takes 20 minutes to tell a  nice 80year old lady that she using the wrong password.

how important is it - Very Important or people won't be able to connect.   There are those out there that require us to be around.   Call it "Job Security"

how fun is it - Sometimes it can be fun. 

how long have you been at it - 2 years

how long do you intend to - As long as possible and then pay goes up.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6772|Atlanta, GA USA

Horseman 77 wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

pfcilng wrote:

Dare I ask if They still use Fortran somewhere? I know it made a Brief Comeback as a Machine language. Fourth ?  know have I dated Myself. Watch "Alien" If you want to know what old Computer Screens looked like. Imagine playing Gato on that.

Ahem .....You know Getting good Crades Dosnt make you smart. You know that right?
I did learn a little Fortran in my first programming class, but we didn't spend much time on it.  Nowadays, I don't think they do much more than mention it.
Edit: When I started College, I brought a 286 with me.  God it was a pain in the ass to do anything on those.  I remember when WIn95 came out; I was in awe...

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-11-18 17:27:08)

=DS=Unit92
+0|6742
Information Systems Coordinator
Difficulty: 10-90 most days 10, days when shit hits the fan 90.
Importance: Depends on who you ask, for me it's a 20 because I know how much the last guy got paid compared to how much I get paid.
Fun: 60 but that's mostly because I work as hard as the job is important to me.
How long: 1 year this December
Intent: No longer than 5 years.

I've already got this job down, I could do it in my sleep... which I sometimes do. That and the fact I'm getting paid about 25% less than my predecessor (I found a pay stub when cleaning his office out, which was an absolute mess) makes it tough to take my job seriously. I work just hard enough to make it look like I work harder than the last guy (which I'm told he did not do much at all.)

I'm going to be opening a movie theatre soon so I hope it will provide enough for me to quit this job and if not I'm making good contacts doing consulting so that's another possibility. I like consulting because I can pick and choose the jobs I do but sometimes it sucks because I have to do stuff I don't like to do to get paid, with the theatre/consulting combo I'll be more free to do what I want.
minersny{FU}
+0|6733
Aircraft power turbine mechanic.......90....think about it, trucks breakdown, they pull over, aircraft breakdown, THEY FALL.
Pig_Fooker
+1|6738|Temecula, CA
I think this topic has plummited into the bowels of my girlfriend's ass, which is where I like to be.  I'm pretty sure this wasn't a cock fight but a query on "what do you fucking do for money".  Adding importance was only to instigate arguement.  First of all, my job may not turn the world, but to people who rely on our profession the question is applicable.  Reading through this post has left me more than impressed.  Fookin Kudos to all of you who have sought higher education and will tip me at valet when my profession fails, that is if I don't control the DMV by then.  MWAHAAHAHAHAH?!
KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6741|Fort Worth, Texas
Focker you sound like a little cry baby. Get a life and a good job and, OH by the way have a great holiday. Be cool.
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6725|Perth, Western Australia
Museum Administrator/Curator at the Royal Australian Air Force Aviation Heritage Museum in Perth, Western Australia.

Difficulty: Anywhere from 1 to 100. Most of the time it's a 50 or 60, volunteers can be a pain in the backside (and the Museum is staffed entirely by volunteers except for me, I get paid )

Importance: Hmm, lets say 60. I ain't saving lives like a doctor or a member of the thin blue line or anything like that, but preserving the cultural and military heritage of Australia's aviation community seems like a worthwhile goal to me.

Fun: Again anywhere from 1 to 100. 1 is doing all the accounts side of things, man I hate accounts, people whinge about money far too much for my liking. 100 is sitting in our Lancaster talking to a WW2 vet who flew the things for real. Or being part of the crew that disassembles our Spitfire and moves it to a RAAF base for an airshow.

Time in service:  A little over 14 months, though I've only been running the place for the last 11 months...

How long: Dunno, I've had worse jobs so this'll do for now but I do know that if I win the lottery I'll be giving up the humdrum, day-to-day life of the working man for a life of online games, DVDs, reading and general laziness...
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6711|Sweden
Junior college, Tycho Braheskolan, Helsingborg, Sweden

Difficulty: like 60 I guess, since I am kinda smart...

Importance: 70-80 I presume, if my grades suck, my future is ruined

Fun: Its a no-no (10 I guess, I hate it)

Time in service: Hahah, 5 months now?

How long: Hopefully, another 3 years, if they dont kick me out..
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6729|Germany

High school
(or whatever it means in english; you get your "German schoolleaving examination and university entrance qualification" (my dictionary says that   ) here)
Year 12 of 13 (including 4 years primary school)
Difficulty: 50-60, (could be 10-20 but I'm not doing to much for school and my marks are pretty good)
Importance: now in the last two years more than 90
Fun: funny and pleasant teachers, some nice guys and so on, sometimes a bit hard, I would say average of 55-70

Last edited by Mike<Eagle23> (2005-12-13 15:39:15)

[blaq] plague
+0|6712
USAF Disaster Preparedness/Readiness...Pretty much a mixture of WMD/major accident/Natural Disaster Response...Our primary training's in Nuke, Bio, and Chem warfare though.
Difficulty:  Where I'm at now, it's not too bad...Until the planes start falling from the sky...then we get the fun of rounding up and keeping track of junior grade officers (just give them crayons and something with velcro on it) and making sure they know what to do.
how important is it:  Pretty important I suppose.  If we really came across WMD in Iraq, I think people would actually start taking us seriously...
Fun: It all depends on who you work with...Right now- a miserable existence...but in two months I'll be playing in Korea for a year.  On the plus side...Nothing's more fun than running people into a room full of tear gas.
Time:  I've been doing this for about 5 years
How much longer: who knows

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard