Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6774
Greetings all and thanks for checking out this guide!

So you want to have sounds and music from BF2 to use out of game? Admittedly, there are some great sounds embedded in this game, and this guide will show you how to use them to your full advantage.

PROGRAMS YOU NEED:

First off, make sure you have these programs (or equivalent):

WinRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
WinRAR is a powerful archive manager.  It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format.

You can pick up a trial version from this site.  It will continue to work after the 30-day trial, but there is an annoying popup which lays on the guilt trip, reminding you to register. Also, it is available in 42 different languages!

Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.  It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

LAME MP3 Encoder: http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html
This .dll allows Audacity to export MP3 files.

Setting up Audacity to export MP3:
   1. Go to the LAME download page.
   2. Click on any link from the list of identical "lame-3.96.1" links.
   3. When you have finished downloading LAME, unzip it and save the file lame_enc.dll anywhere on your computer.
   4. The first time you use the "Export as MP3" command, Audacity will ask you where lame_enc.dll is saved.

OK, you should be all set and ready to start exporting your BF2 audio files.

FINDING THE FILES:

First, find the "Common_Client.zip" file, typically located in \Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 directory
https://www.uschessacademy.org/bf2/winrar.jpg

Open this file using WinRAR or your archiving file of choice.  You'll notice several directories. We're interested in the "Sound" directory, so browse there.

Here's where all your favorite sounds are located.  For demonstration purposes, we're going to use the sound from the English Grunt, "Enemy boat spotted."

So, browse to the "English" directory, then "Grunt", then "No_filter".

Now look for the file named, "PLAYER_SPOTTED_TM_enemyboatspotted.ogg."  Select it, right-click and choose the "Extract to specified folder" option.
https://www.uschessacademy.org/bf2/extract.jpg

I like to save it to my desktop, but just make sure you know where the file will be saved. You'll need it in the next step.  After it's saved, you can close WinRAR (or leave it open if you want to extract more sound files).

Now when you save it, it will rebuild the file structure from the archive file.

For example, our file is now located in C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Profile)\Desktop\Sound\English\Grunt\No_filter

Now open Audacity, and open your saved audio file.

Click the play button and make sure you’ve got the right file.

EXPORTING TO MP3:

In Audacity, select File>Export to MP3
https://www.uschessacademy.org/bf2/export.jpg

If this is the first time you’ve used Audacity, it will now ask you to find the “lame_enc.dll.” Please refer to the “Setting up Audacity to export MP3:” section for more information.

Now save your shiny new MP3 file.

That’s it!

This is my first attempt at a guide, so be gentle. If I've left something out, or need to elaborate, please let me know.

Thanks to Triggerhappy998 for his help on this guide and to Chuy for this awesome site!
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6840|-
Nicely done
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6747

skeet skeet...i mean sticky this

I use dbPowerAMP converter, but it's up to the user to find a program he/she likes

Last edited by fikraag7 (2005-11-15 11:40:26)

CBRad929
+1|6776
Just posted this http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=4661 and was wondering if you saw anything when you were looking?  I'm going to try this tonight to see if I can see whats different.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
Anyone notice the drums for a Demotion?  Interesting... 
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6840|-

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Anyone notice the drums for a Demotion?  Interesting... 
How about the "enemy mines spotted"
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
I'm still laughing at the mines...LOL!    Great post!
slidero
Enemy water vehicle spotted
Lawk
+2|6766
Nice.  Never thought of this before.  Now I am going to set some of these up as ringtones for my cell phone and scare my gamer-friends.  "Artillery you'r area!"
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6732
This is cool and all but how do you set it up so when you do something (ex. log into you XP account) the sound will play. I am new to the computer world and I have yet to figure this out. HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Last edited by SnobbyBoss (2005-11-17 16:04:33)

slidero

SnobbyBoss wrote:

This is cool and all but how do you set it up so when you do something (ex. log into you XP account) the sound will play. I am new to the computer world and I have yet to figure this out. HELP WILL NE APPRECIATED.
Start --> settings --> control panel --> sounds --> "sounds" tab --> find the event called "start windows" --> click the browse buttona and find the file you want to play at startup.    I'm pretty sure it has to be .wav though.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6732

slidero wrote:

SnobbyBoss wrote:

This is cool and all but how do you set it up so when you do something (ex. log into you XP account) the sound will play. I am new to the computer world and I have yet to figure this out. HELP WILL NE APPRECIATED.
Start --> settings --> control panel --> sounds --> "sounds" tab --> find the event called "start windows" --> click the browse buttona and find the file you want to play at startup.    I'm pretty sure it has to be .wav though.
Thanks for the help, and not complainig about my fast typing.
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6774
Thanks for the compliments. I had fun putting this guide together.

There are a lot of unused sounds in that file. Will be interesting to see if they ever get put in game.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT

Lawk wrote:

Nice.  Never thought of this before.  Now I am going to set some of these up as ringtones for my cell phone and scare my gamer-friends.  "Artillery you'r area!"
That's brilliant!!  Wish I'd thought of it first! 
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6755

I use VLC to play my stuff, and Soundforge to convert it... don't need 2 sep programs. and i just open direct from WinRAR, if you don't want to bother keeping it on your harddrive and you're just looking through. It gets erased from cache after you close it.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6768|UK
Haha i've had "I need a medic quick do you copy?" as my alarm on my phone for ages, it just repeats til I wake up girlfriend HATES IT!
ronin1942
+-1|6836
WOW. reading the title i couldent figure out why i would want to but reading further i got tons of ideas........
thank you!
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6774
This guide sunk to page 4. Any chance it may be sticky-worthy?

Better yet, any chance we could make a section for guides?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6738

Does anyone have a link for grabbing the 1942 music, not the boring theme but the one you hear when a map is loading. I have the discs but I'd prefer not to install it just to get at the data and then remove it lol. I tried opening the cabinet files with winrar but evidentally 1942 needs to be installed to get at the compressed content.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6840|-

Bubkin wrote:

This guide sunk to page 4. Any chance it may be sticky-worthy?

Better yet, any chance we could make a section for guides?
Since we now have a Tech section of the forums, I'll move it there and sticky it.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6830

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Lawk wrote:

That's brilliant!!  Wish I'd thought of it first! 
I know.  I just thought of that and thought I was special.  Now I realize I'm nothing more than a heavily tattooed conformist.

I'll be the bald freak in the corner crying himself to sleep.  I'm still half tempted to do it since I do need some new ringtones.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6830
And extra step I discoved for my Motorola Razor is that you need to convert the mp3 files to a midi file so that it will work with your contact list.

All this means with Windows XP SP2 is that you change the filename from ringtone.mp3 to ringtone.mid

Then the ringtone will work with your contact list, ie setting up special tones for various people.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
LOL...
nitro92
I cheat.
+-6|6794|Sydney, Australia
i got the full version of rar from a warez site dunno if i can post links here but y do u wanna take away sounds

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard