Vexikuri
+1|6438
I was curious with the people that fly well.  How long did it take?

I could spawn on a map & in front of me is a jeep, an attack chopper or an attack jet.  My butt jumps in the jeep and off I go.  Why? because the times I have jumped in the chopper or jet I've ended up turning those things into very large missles and killing bugs & rabbits on the ground.

Did you practice online or just single player games until you got the hang of it?  Do you use the keyboard/keyboard & mouse, or joystick?

Thanks

(Tired of running around on foot)
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6627|UK
tbh, its not hard.

Just go on an empty server and practice... shooting stationary targets etc

How long did it take me? Well i could fly in BFV and DC so... a few seconds lo learn to fly in bf2
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
Just to learn how to stay in the air and aim at stuff only took maybe a few minutes from already knowing how to fly in DC, there it was tough. To get good however, I'd say I'm still getting better.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6623|Camp XRay

don't go into a ranked server and hop in a chopper with someone and not know how to fly, nothing makes me angry than having someone who has never flown before push everyone out of the way to fly or gun. practice first on single player. also being on teamspeak/ventrillo with the person your flying with helps alot.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6747|The United Center
I'm not anywhere near the best, but I like to think I'm at least average in helicopters and jets.  Honestly though, I can't really draw a line where I can say I went from bad to good.  It's always a learning process and even now, after spending 100h in helicopters and 85h in jets, I learn something new everytime I fly.

I practiced in single player for a while because I used to be absolutely horrendous with helicopters.  SP is awesome for helo practice because enemy choppers don't shoot at you and the AA is really easy to avoid and then take out.  Plus, your team mates do what you ask, so practicing solo is easy as pie.

Just keep at it.  Helicopters and jets are the most dominating single force on the battlefield.  A good jet pilot can keep the opposing team confined to a single flag while keeping enemy helicopters and jets down.  Same goes for a good helicopter crew.  Also, the psychological factor in having your enemy know there's a competant pilot/helo crew out there will work wonders too.

So like I said...practice, practice, practice.  Most times in single player I just dick around doing flips and rolls and stuff.  It's the best way to get a feel for the maneuverability and handling of your vehicle.  Single player is a great place to start, but it's definitely no match for an online game.  Once you get comfortable with the vehicles, take your game online.
kn0ckahh
+98|6738|netherlands, sweet lake city
ell the jet didn't take very long, after a few hour i knew how to know how to fly it perfectly, and where my bombs would land(Not perfect but not to bad either), and im still learning for not taking to many risks

and as far as the HELI   I was born in one :p it took me a minute to figure everything out, and at that time noone was able to shoot a good TV missle :p
When somebody figured out how to gun I also got very gunner friendly,

Just practive in an ampty server with someone who's more experienced then you are so he can watch you and give you some advice,,,  When I wanted to know where my bombs would drop a mate of me got inside a tank and told me if my bombs where dropped to early or to late.

.... And for flying I use a joystick,,, for the chopper the keyboard mouse combo works just great

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2006-09-28 08:26:41)

norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6470
ive always been a naturally good pilot IRL, so flying in bf2 was simple, but after about 15 hours im unstoppable.  still learning how to fly the choppers expertly, but can handle then decently well after 4 hours or so.  gimme another 10 hours and ill be expert at maneuvering them too.
Vexikuri
+1|6438
THanks for the comments.  What controls do you use?  Keyboard, mouse, joystick?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6835|Kubra, Damn it!

Joystick. I started with keyboard & mouse and got to be decent, but getting a joystick was a vast improvement. Especially for the jets. Make sure you get a good stick cuz a bad one won't help you very much.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6627|UK

Vexikuri wrote:

THanks for the comments.  What controls do you use?  Keyboard, mouse, joystick?
Keyboard/mouse
Ir0n-M@n
has the greatest stats on earth
+125|6744|Germany
hmm maybe 10 hours to fly the basics, then another 20 hours for being better and after that 20 ours for practising and perfecting solo-heliing

in plane: 10 hours to learn the basics, 20 hours to learn to escape from other planes by using back view, 20 hours to perfect bombing, shooting down helis....

heli gunner: 3 hours to learn the basics , 5 hours on sharqi to learn shooting foot soldiers with Mi28, 10 hours to understand the tv rocket

plane gunner: 5 minutes to understand that you just have to look in flying direction, wait and shoot when the sound comes, 10 hours to learn that you can steer the rocket without being locked on directly onto foot soldiers!
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6655
A good solid week with at least an hour a day on one or the other.

Clearly you don't know how to fly now so hearing it's easy if you flew in DC is not going to help.  I did not know how to fly in DC...at best I could use the jets/choppers to get from a to b and bail out...but even that was iffy.  Some people like the keyboard/mouse some prefer joystick.  I honestly couldn't fly to save my life with anything other than a joystick.  About five months ago I finally got one.

I spent about an hour a day on empty servers just practicing flying choppers.  Getting from point a to b, going full throttle to a dead stop and hover, different manouvers, flying with a friend to set up gunner shots etc.  I did this everyday for about 5 days.  I'm still not great but if no one else wants to fly, I can do it in a pinch.

But once you learn it, it's pretty easy.  Jets I think are cake to fly and fairly easy to hit targets...you will need to practice bombing with the f18/f35/mig29/j10 (basically all of the non "bomber" jets).  These jets have only two bombs at a time and you have to be pretty accurate to hit your targets.  The "bomber" jets (f15/su34/su??) have five "dummy" bombs...so called because a dummy could drop them and still hit the target.  Air2Air battles are something that I still need help with so I will offer no advice there.

Good luck to you and just practice in empty servers or in single player.
w00stafa
Krylov Whore
+35|6558|AK101 Factory
Chopper was pretty natural after DC and BF:V, keyboard and mouse or for really twisty stuff keyboard/keyboard.

I can't fly jets to save my life; probably need a joystick for that one.  Or the fact i'm always US on wake :E
_PQWeR_AuRoRa_olly
+22|6510|Surrey, United Kingdom
Keyboard and mouse is more stable i find than joystick... just pump up ur sensitivity (mines 8 in game) and u can manuever like a joystick..

Sorted.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
Straight keyboard for helo, greatest thing in the world, and then joystick for jet.
URE_DED
BF2s US Server Admin
+76|6619|inside the recesses of your...
I had to commit to heli for a solid week.  First half was spent on single player servers just to learn maneuvering.  The last half was playing on small live servers and my KD and SPM took a bit of a hit.  But when it clicks for you, its awesome. 

Here are some tips I learned and forgive me as they've probably  been posted elsewhere here:

1. CALIBRATE - this one is so freaking obvious, but make sure you calibrate your joystick in Windows before starting BF2.  If you get in a heli and start spinning immediately and crash, that's the problem. 

2a. SLOW CONTROL RESPONSE - the next hardest thing to learn is that a heli doesn't turn like any other vehicle in the game.  A movement you make on the joystick takes a couple seconds to cause an effect on the heli.  So what happens is you overcompensate - either with the direction you want to move or against it. 

You want to bank left - you don't see an immediate effect so you bank even more.  Suddenly you're flying nearly upside down and you crash.  Just by putting time in you learn to make moves in the heli in ANTICIPATION of where you need to go before you get there. 

2b. DON'T PANIC - because control response is slow you tend to panic when threats come.  AA is locked on you and you just want to get away immediately.  You CAN'T.  Stay calm.  Fire the flares and dive out of that situation and find cover.  Don't panic and fly straight UP.  You will die.  Don't try to take out the AA.  Odds are good you will die.  You need to go low, find ground cover, and get below radar.

3. STABILIZE the Heli with NO LAND REFERENCES - the last hard thing to pick up is you are so used to using ground references for knowing if you are level or not.  If you get too high and the fog shrouds everything, you may think you're hovering when in fact you are flying backwards or upside down and crash.  There is a hover indicator in the middle of your HUD.  When the two circles stay inside each other, you are hovering.  Practice turning, diving, everything and then stopping on a dime to hover.  The HUD will help.  And learn not to use the land to figure out your position. 

Once you get the maneuvering down, firing the rockets on targets is very easy.  I finally acheived the coveted Cone of Death maneuver where you circle a target pointing down and firing in a concentrated area.  Once you get to that point, you don't want to use any other vehicle.  It's too freaking fun now.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6692|England

ThomasMorgan wrote:

I'm not anywhere near the best, but I like to think I'm at least average in helicopters and jets.  Honestly though, I can't really draw a line where I can say I went from bad to good.  It's always a learning process and even now, after spending 100h in helicopters and 85h in jets, I learn something new everytime I fly.

I practiced in single player for a while because I used to be absolutely horrendous with helicopters.  SP is awesome for helo practice because enemy choppers don't shoot at you and the AA is really easy to avoid and then take out.  Plus, your team mates do what you ask, so practicing solo is easy as pie.

Just keep at it.  Helicopters and jets are the most dominating single force on the battlefield.  A good jet pilot can keep the opposing team confined to a single flag while keeping enemy helicopters and jets down.  Same goes for a good helicopter crew.  Also, the psychological factor in having your enemy know there's a competant pilot/helo crew out there will work wonders too.

So like I said...practice, practice, practice.  Most times in single player I just dick around doing flips and rolls and stuff.  It's the best way to get a feel for the maneuverability and handling of your vehicle.  Single player is a great place to start, but it's definitely no match for an online game.  Once you get comfortable with the vehicles, take your game online.
Exactly my point
RasorX
+17|6743|Indianapolis
I think there are 2 main points to flying either well.

1. Prior gaming experience.  Most good pilot's of either will admit to flying in other games.

2. Practice.  New pilots so very underestimate this one.  I cannot express how important loading up single player or creating local is.  I have like 153 hours or something like that in a jet, and probably no less than 20-40 hours logged in single player.  Practicing on a live server leads to frustration because more times than not you're killed by someone with more experience before you can get any real good practice in.

Edit: I just realized i didnt answer the OP question.  Time wise i'm not sure, but i went through stages.  Hours 1-5 i spent crashing, Hours 5-15 i spent in the air avoiding deaths and kills(just flying around not knowing how to kill anything, but learning to avoid being killed), then 15-40 i would say i mastered flying jets.  But then i had to go back to stage 2 when 1.3 came out and i took a haitus from the game.

Last edited by RasorX (2006-09-28 09:02:47)

Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6759|Denmark
how long?.. eh. dunno, I learned it in BF42 and Desert Combat..
Sinn_Ah_Taggh
+15|6421|Norway
URE_DED: That was a very nice description on what you need to learn. I agree on everything. I´ve been flying for 54 hours now,and I'm not even close to being really good,but i manage. I´ve learned to do all the basic tricks like loops,dives,quick turns and have developed my own sets of tactics that i use for various aspects of the combat.
I use keyboard for my Helli flying,its the only thing that works for me,and sometimes it works gooood;)
Impaqt
+37|6638|Chicago, Il
Still not a Great pilot, but I have been getting kicked for strange reasons lately..  Yesterday was "Circling in a Plane = no skill" whatever that means..  I had a F35 on my tail on Oman and was circling around on him...  Oh well..  15-5 at the time I think...  ????

ANyway....  I didnt fly in any game prior to BF2, I'm around 65 hours now I think...  I'd say it took me more thanhalf of that Plus at least another 20-30 in Single Player/Emptyu servers/Unranked to get where I'm at now......   COnsistant ~4:1 K/D Ratio's in MECvsUS Maps regardless of jet,  Pretty much Deathless in a J-10 vs. 35 Map (Which I dont play very often)

I still Crash when manuvering in rear view from time to time....  Probobly take myself out more than I get shot down.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6454|USA
Well when I first bought the game, the blackhawks used to fucking OWN. Back then I used a keyboard. When they nerfed them, I bought a joystick (nothing to do with nerfed blackhawks btw), Got really good with that, My joystick broke in January, so I've been flying helos with the mouse since then. The mouse is easily the best way to go for a heli. Anyone who thinks the joystick is better, maybe you should try using a mouse, I've used all 3 methods, and mouse is most definitely the best.

As for jets, I'ved tried all three methods, I ended up using a joystick in combination with my keyboard (for throttle/rudder/other keyboard buttons) Been using a joystick for jets since August, got my K up from 3.2 to almost 5.0 since then. (thats late august btw)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard