Shopvac
If it doesn't say shop-vac keep shopping!
+25|6550|Grand Rapids, MI
I love the fact that there is a huge international community that posts in this forum. I also love the fact that we all have such a wide array of experiences. With that in mind, I need some help.

I'll be in Shanghai, and Beijing, for 17 days in December for a study abroad opportunity for my Master of Social Work degree that I'm earning. I have a 20 hour flight from Detroit to Shanghai (refuel in Tokyo). With all the travel restrictions, how the hell do I make it without going nuts!!! I understand that I'll have to get a prescription from my doctor for Dramamine because they don't allow non-prescription meds on flights any more.

Does anyone have experience making this flight, and how they got through it? Any help would be appreciated.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6768|Argentina

Shopvac wrote:

I love the fact that there is a huge international community that posts in this forum. I also love the fact that we all have such a wide array of experiences. With that in mind, I need some help.

I'll be in Shanghai, and Beijing, for 17 days in December for a study abroad opportunity for my Master of Social Work degree that I'm earning. I have a 20 hour flight from Detroit to Shanghai (refuel in Tokyo). With all the travel restrictions, how the hell do I make it without going nuts!!! I understand that I'll have to get a prescription from my doctor for Dramamine because they don't allow non-prescription meds on flights any more.

Does anyone have experience making this flight, and how they got through it? Any help would be appreciated.
Get the prescription for all the meds you need.  Then take your ipod and a couple of books and stay cool, coz this kind of flight is very hard to stand.  Since the increased airport security controls, the thing is worse.  So, my advice as a travel agent is remain relax, take some Rivotril with you (only if you need) and prepare yourself for the first week there when you will be sleeping at the time you are supposed to be at work, in other words you will have troubles sleeping.  Besides, enjoy.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-09-20 06:40:07)

Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6633|Camp XRay

xanax
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Rogue_Delta
+6|6466
travelling never was a big deal for me. personally, I get on the plane, have a drink, some food and a movie. then I sleep for the time remaining. I swear I can sleep all my way through, no problem. drinks help, but try to avoid liquors or youll end up with a soar, fing arid throat when you wake up. and that sucks.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6586
Try to get bumbped up to first class, buy a psp, should help entertain you. Also if somebody is sleeping next to you. Slip their fingers in some warm water, chances are they'll wet themselves. My bro wet himself that way.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

For long distance flights, despite the fact it'll cost you a couple of thousand extra, it really is worth going business class. Unless you're a midget.
IRONCHEF
+385|6501|Northern California
Physical preparation should include being well stretched, well hydrated, well rested.  Just like driving in a car for many hours with AC on, it dehydrates you.  Airline AC is just as dehydrating if not worse  so no alcohol.

Having two good nights of sleep (8 hours if possible) before you go will make you "well rested" and being limber from stretching (2 day prep is good in addition to preflight stretching) will make being seated more bearable.
Shopvac
I like the idea of stretching out for a few days before hand. One of the things I worry about is cramping up. As far as the giving up alcohol, I believe you've gone too far sir! I'll suffer through the dehydration for a day so that I can have a little something to get me through the flight.

Thanks to everyone so far.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command
I suggest you crack open the novel, The Stand, by Stephen King, the uncut version.
You'll by hopelessly hooked by a fantastic tale and its long enough to last the round trip flight.
Be safe!
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6730|California

ATG wrote:

I suggest you crack open the novel, The Stand, by Stephen King, the uncut version.
You'll by hopelessly hooked by a fantastic tale and its long enough to last the round trip flight.
Be safe!
The Stand took me 3 years to read.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6768|Argentina

ATG wrote:

I suggest you crack.  Be safe!
I think crack is too much dude.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6560|Southeastern USA
I don't think there's a prob with meds so long as they are solid, pill form and such, at least that's what I understood when I flew to DC a few weeks ago
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6840
If you're worried about travel restrictions stopping you taking stuff to do on the plane, fly via Canada and buy stuff in the airport there.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ
if you have a laptop, take it with you.

Last edited by oug (2006-09-21 02:35:41)

ƒ³
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6602|Scarborough Yorkshire England
International flight should have free booze.
Get pissed - pass out
wake up - journey over that's what I did coming back from New zealand
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6602|Scarborough Yorkshire England

ATG wrote:

Be safe!
Hear hear that book rules
twiistaaa
+87|6679|mexico

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink

Rogue_Delta wrote:

have a drink
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6719|Wilmington, DE, US
When I went to Dubai, there were two screaming Iranian children in front of me. If it wasn't one, it was the other, or it was both of them. Pray it doesn't happen to you.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK

ghettoperson wrote:

For long distance flights, despite the fact it'll cost you a couple of thousand extra, it really is worth going business class. Unless you're a midget.
Thats exactly what my dad does, he travels regularly to China/Japan (hes gone about 15 times this year) If you go business or first class you can sleep, you should also take a laptop or ipod or something to listen to music or watch videos on also take a book for the flight.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6753|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
I find it best to just drink continuously/sleep on long haul flights, also don't forget to order drinks for any sleeping randoms either side of you too
TheFlipTop
+28|6535
Drop some acid and trip it out, dare ya!
Shopvac
Well I know it's been a while but I'm back. It turns out there is no good advice for how to last a 16 hour flight!!! Wait I take that back; as I was leaving the plane it looked like the first class people didn't have it so bad. I guess I should say that there's no good advice for poor people LOL!

Any way, I just thought I'd post a clip of some of the video I took while I was over there. It's no Snoken clan vid or anything, but I hope ya'll like it just the same.

http://staff.gvsu.edu/aguilero/china.html

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard