Mad Ad
+178|6480|England, UK
THE GAME WILL START WHEN 7 MORE PLAYER(S) JOIN

This message is something thats been annoying me for some time.  If you like to go on near empty servers to practice things its obvious that its totally in the wrong place.  As well as being slap in the middle of the screen, its also on the same line as the text we type into chat

so unless you like to
type things out in 5
word sentences like this

then instead you have to hope that you dont make spelling mistakes when your typing runs under that stupid message.

but fear not, you CAN do something about it.

You could put it down here
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/adspace/pics/bfmsgdn.jpg

Or put it over here
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/adspace/pics/bfmsglf.jpg

I like it over this side
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/adspace/pics/bfmsgrt.jpg

Or of course you can change the text too
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/adspace/pics/bfmsgd2.jpg

Infact you can put it anywhere on the same line or lower than where it normally is, including moving it totally off of the screen if you want. Moving it upwards is not possible (afaik).

The key to this is in the freely editable localisation files (if you dont know what localisation files are, then have a read of this useful guide here http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=19541 )

Ok so find your Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Localization\English folder and open up english.utxt in notepad (best to use notepad, nothing else) then search for a line called HUD_STARTOFROUND_NRPLAYERSNEEDED.  Its near the bottom.

To make changes, simply use spaces or returns INSIDE the 2 pairs of boxes. Whatever you do, do not erase or edit those boxes but anything goes inside them.  The only thing to understand is that the text is auto centered, so with that in mind;

Each space before the text will move the message slightly to the right
Each space after the text will move the message slightly to the left
A return before the line will drop everything down one space.

Thats it! Save and go check it.

To make things easy- here are the numbers to get the ones I've shown in the screenshots.  Always start with the cursor after the second square and before the T.

1) To drop to the bottom press return 19 times. (yes 20 looks nicer on foot but sucks in some vehicles)
2) To split left, press return once, put cursor after the n in when and do 119 spaces, press return, delete the space then skip over the remaining text till your cursor is after the n in join (and before the box) and do another 119 spaces.
3) To split under the minimap, press return once, press space 114 times, put cursor after then n in when, return once, then press space 113 times.

Actual code for no3

Code:

The game will start when
                                                                                                                  #NROFPLAYERS# more player(s) join
There should be 114 spaces in that example so just cut and paste the gap rather than actually press the spacebar 114 times (unless you enjoy pressing )

Note: Entering a space and deleting all the other text between the 4 boxes will remove it completely.

Feel free to experiment, as long as you include the #NROFPLAYERS# bit then you will get the number wherever you put it, the text around it is up to you.  Finally, theres no way that its against any rules of engagement as the games not even started and noone scores anything during the time this message is shown.

(oh and if anyone has posted on this before im sorry, ive never seen anything about it and this information was completely my own trial and error efforts. Thank you for reading)

Edit: added note about complete removal

Last edited by Mad Ad (2006-09-11 13:54:48)

J=MAN
+25|6627|OZ
Excellent!

+1
l41e
+677|6618

Awesome. +1 for you.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6725|United States of America
Yeah... so, why does it matter so much? I don't play until the game actually starts.
>LOD<Dougalachi
Teh_Complainer
+85|6525|An Hour North of Indy
yayzor +1
Mad Ad
+178|6480|England, UK
great, thanks guys

@Miller....I find it hard to play with bots, they do stupid things and arent very human like but going on a server with 3 or 4 buddies (or complete strangers) we can practice things like dogfighting without having to worry about deaths or your stats or the team- plus its more chilled and you can chat to people youd never have spoke to in a full game.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6799|Denver colorado
i just deleted the whole line.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6648|Middle of nowhere

Miller wrote:

Yeah... so, why does it matter so much? I don't play until the game actually starts.
because of what he said in like the first line

some people like to practice stuff on empty servers, and the message in the middle can be very distracting

Edit: is that Road to Jalalabad in the pics? jw

Last edited by genius_man16 (2006-09-10 18:35:54)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6758|Singapore

genius_man16 wrote:

Miller wrote:

because of what he said in like the first line

some people like to practice stuff on empty servers, and the message in the middle can be very distracting
yeah, awesome find.

genius_man16 wrote:

Edit: is that Road to Jalalabad in the pics? jw
Yes its road to falalalalafuck. I hate that map with a vengeance already.
Mad Ad
+178|6480|England, UK

lavadisk wrote:

i just deleted the whole line.
nooooo dont do that, youll just end up with a HUD_STARTOFROUND_NRPLAYERSNEEDED message where the old one used to be.

To get rid of it entirely do just one space and delete all the rest of the words between the 4 boxes, save and the jobs a goodun.

Last edited by Mad Ad (2006-09-11 13:50:17)

Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6444|Foothills of S. Carolina

+1, always hated that thing in the way while messing around in a server alone.
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6596|Los Angeles, California, US.
Nice One.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6531|Australia, NSW
+1 nice
im gunna put your first example in, looks much better than the original
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
nice tip, i bet your happy with all the karma your getting :p

well it's not stopping on me, +1
Foxhoundmgw
Man of Moebius Morals
+71|6550|Nottingham, UK
Also pleased to stumble across this thread.
Nice one for simple guide and pictures!

Thanks
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
i request a featured post or sticky!
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6489|Adelaide, South Australia

^^Seconded

+1 great help
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6622
Agreed, feature post it or sticky.
Dr0pped
+8|6724|Ontario, Canada
Thanks!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

I think.. .I love you..
I need around tree fiddy.
']['error
Banned
+630|6614|The Netherlands
+1 , great job
Scorpian65
+14|6708
Great Work +1
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6664|Howell, Mi USA
Wow, thats cool. I hate that being in teh middle

Nice work +1
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6799|Denver colorado
ok, so deleting the line didnt work, what i found out is that you should put SPACES in their.
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6515
Thanks for the cool topic! That gives sooo many possibilities to rearrange the HUD... +1. I'm getting so many ideas right now...
I'm now centering the kill- / revive- / whatever-messages just under my crosshair so I don't lose view of the combat action. Much cooler
Oh, and I got another idea!
I'll seperate Team, Squad, Commander and General chat. Will make it easier to see the important messages...
And what about putting kill-messages of your team and of the other team in different corners?

Edit: What do you think of it? (just the centered point-messages so far)
https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6899/screen027sx5.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6899 … 027sx5.jpg

Last edited by Ducksteina (2006-09-11 09:35:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard