Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
My cat has a tabby onesy and doesn't need a knitted suit.

I'm thinking mostly of the numbskulls of all ages in america and the uk who haven't understood the virus so far and won't understand vaccines either.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
france and several other european nations have far higher rates of anti-vaccine sentiment.

in comparison vaccine uptake in places like india is expected to be high.

you might have to check your weird racial hierarchies once again.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Third time, I'm talking about the people who think the vaccine is a magic bullet which will eradicate the virus in an instant.
uziq
+492|3448
another straw man for the n'th time. where are these people? are they hiding in the same place as all those millennials who are going to raves?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

another straw man for the n'th time. where are these people? are they hiding in the same place as all those millennials who are going to raves?

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

My county is projecting to roll out vaccines to the general public in "spring 2021". Hopefully that means by May, which means I and my family need to dodge covid for 4 more months. Definitely doable.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Huh, TIL that I think vaccines are magic bullets against covid. Can't wait to find out what I think next!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just another four months Ken, then you're free.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/coronaviru … aaebbd5a42
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Remember almost a year ago when you told me masks aren't effective? Now here we are in Jan 2021 and you are linking articles about why masks are important and suggesting I dont take covid seriously.

What a time to be alive!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Basic examination masks aren't effective, they need to be N95 or triple layered fabric at least, not dental assistant grade.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
uziq
+492|3448
UK is going to peak at 2000 deaths a day i reckon, following december's disastrously advised return to 'semi-open' tier system.

still pussyfooting around with school openings, half one foot in, half one foot out.

serial indecision and constant u-turns have characterized this government's response. and still they try to spin it into 'taking the best advice', despite ignoring their SAGE scientists so often that an independent SAGE offshoot has gained a following, just so that they can put the 'tough pill' truth out to the public.

astonishing. 2k deaths per day. that's approaching the US's with 1/5th the population.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Priti Patel says the UK should have closed its borders in March 2020 in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a video call obtained by Guido Fawkes, the home secretary told Tory supporters she was an "advocate" of closing the borders 10 months ago.

Between mid March and June, the UK did not impose a ban or quarantine restrictions on international travellers arriving in the UK.

Throughout February 2020 and into March, the government had guidance in place international travellers from the Hubei province in China, parts of South Korea, Iran and Italy to self-isolate for 14 days after arriving in the UK.

But on 13 March 2020, this rule was removed and replaced with guidance advising all people in the UK, including arrivals, to self-isolate if they developed symptoms.

It was not until June that quarantine rules were introduced for all arrivals in the UK - including British citizens - and by July, so-called "travel corridors" were introduced, removing the need to self-isolate when coming to the UK from certain countries.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps made weekly announcements on which countries were included on the list - but on Monday, the government closed all travel corridors to "protect against the risk of as yet unidentified new strains" of coronavirus.

The government was criticised for acting too late over border policy, with the Home Affairs Committee of MPs publishing a report in August, saying a lack of measures earlier in the pandemic was a "serious mistake" and the change in rules in March was "inexplicable".

Ms Patel repeatedly refused to appear before the Home Affairs Committee between January and April last year, turning down four invitations and offering private briefings instead.

When she did appear on 29 April last year, she was asked by Labour MP Stephen Doughty if she disagreed with the change in rules around self-isolating in March.

She replied: "We all follow the advice that is given from the government."

Asked about the home secretary's comments on BBC Two's Politics Live programme, Tory MP and Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Tom Tugendhat, said there were "a lot of benefits of hindsight here".

He added: "It is certainly true with hindsight we should have closed the borders last March.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55733357

LMAO

So I've been right all this time, and Priti Patel is trying to dig herself out of another hole and position herself to attack Johnson.
Johnson will regret bringing her back into govt when she should have been removed from parliament and the party.
Maybe he'll fire her over the criminal records blunder, that would be the smart thing to do.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-20 13:56:18)

uziq
+492|3448
priti patel is just about the least credible politician in the cabinet.

why she is outwardly speaking against the PM on this matter can no doubt be understood as the typical nest of vipers slithering about, looking to gain political capital and boost their own careers.

your new friend should have been banished from front-bench politics forever after the last time she was made to resign, for illegally arranging deals with israel ex officio. i note you didn't come to the forum to tout her as a beacon of wisdom then?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The fact is the govt should have closed the borders and I bet that was the scientific advice given to the govt, two govt ministers seem to be saying exactly that.

The idea these clowns have any grip on anything at this point is laughable.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-20 14:07:30)

uziq
+492|3448
they should have instated proper screening and testing at airports immediately, i agree that much. the aviation industry and airport bosses were also pushing for it. it seems absolutely commonsensical and has been so all year.

i recall my parisian amour visiting in the summer and being astounded at how she could just swan off the plane and through bristol airport with zero hassle at all. meanwhile even to board a plane in paris she needed a raft of tests, health declarations, contact tracing details, etc.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Once again, they didn't have rapid reliable testing at that time, so it was not a realistic option to keep borders open.
Nor has there ever been any prospect of any country allowing free travel and having a contact tracing system which could keep up, not that there'd really be any point except to know where to send the ambulances after people are infected.

Even now 'testing at airports' and 'open borders' are simply not an option so I have no clue what you're on about.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-20 14:21:25)

uziq
+492|3448
testing at airports and quarantine is literally what several highly successful nations have done all year, without 'closing their borders'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We have to do this again

- are you able to freely enter Korea through open borders

or

- will you have to have a documented negative test before you arrive AND sit out two weeks of quarantine/isolation AND be tested again during your quarantine period

https://overseas.mofa.go.kr/upload/se2/25148a4a-8d87-4ee7-95ba-7ab7ded93731.jpg

You have a very curious idea of what open borders means, and there is still no 'rapid testing at the airport' which allows people to instantly enter then mingle freely in the population anywhere in the world at the present time, so there definitely wasn't last March.
uziq
+492|3448
i think we have been dealing with a misunderstanding over what 'closed borders' mean. to me, closed borders is what japan or australia has adopted at times, i.e. not even letting nationals return home and cancelling all flights.

being able to fly somewhere relatively easily and go about your business is not what i'd call a 'closed border'.

getting a test before boarding and taking a test upon arrival is not exactly strenuous. neither is self-isolation.

that above diagram is badly out of date but thanks for telling me how it (used to) work. i had no idea!
uziq
+492|3448
and there is still no 'rapid testing at the airport' which allows people to instantly enter then mingle freely in the population anywhere in the world at the present time
this is literally in place in most of the middle-east and is precisely the system the korean authorities use?

you take a rapid PCR test upon arrival, wait in a cubicle/holding area for 4-6 hours, and then you're allowed to leave the facility and move on. in the case of dubai/abu dhabi, you can be out and wandering around within 2-3 hours of touching down, moving to your own self-isolation.

of course self-isolation and quarantine will always follow if a country is smart about it. but your presentation of it is wrong. the last time we repeated this endless discussion you were making out that taiwan and korea had made it uniquely difficult to get a visa, all but closing the countries except for the most exceptional visa circumstances. which, until approx. 23 december, with the new mutant strains alarm, really was not the case. as your own diagram shows above, there is a 'short-term' visa-free visitor category, duh.

i fail to see how a testing, screening and quarantine arrangement that literally allows tourists and short-term visitors to fly in constitutes a ‘closed border’.

A closed border is a border that prevents movement of people between different jurisdictions with limited or no exceptions associated with this movement. These borders normally have fences or walls in which any gates or border crossings are closed and if these border gates are opened they generally only allow movement of people in exceptional circumstances. Perhaps the most famous example of an extant closed border is the Demilitarized Zone between North Korea and South Korea. The Berlin Wall could also have been called a closed border.
/shrug

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-20 15:15:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

A closed border is a border that prevents movement of people between different jurisdictions with limited or no exceptions associated with this movement.
Which is exactly what most countries have now, ie closed borders.

this is literally in place in most of the middle-east and is precisely the system the korean authorities use?
No, you have to go into 14 days isolation in Korea
uziq
+492|3448
talking about taking a test with a rapid result, dipshit. 'no rapid testing exists in any airports anywhere in the world'.

you can take r-PCR tests and have results in 4-5 hours in any number of airports. that's how the screening process typically begins. dumbass.

we are really arguing semantics re: closed borders and it is fucking tedious. christ almighty. 'limited or no exceptions' does not sound like the borders i've been talking about with successful countries like taiwan and korea. being able to go somewhere as a TOURIST so long as you take some tests and isolate doesn't sound like 'limited or no exceptions' to me. a controlled border, sure. 'closed'? hardly. it's easy to go to fly to these countries from basically anywhere in the world so long as you submit the negative tests.

throughout this non-discussion your context has always been 'stop all travel and stop everyone from coming in'. well that's emphatically not what successful countries like taiwan or korea have done. there is no way for you to spin it that way. for almost all of 2020 they kept their infections/deaths way low and were accepting short- and long-term visitors.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We can argue about whether 4-6 hours is 'rapid', it certainly wasn't available back in last march when I'm pretty confident Korea etc did 'close their borders'.

These 'rapid' tests have already been shown to not be anything like 100% sensitive, numerous people coming into Aus taking the test overseas then testing positive when they arrive.

There's no real question Britain should have done the same thing at the same time, now it literally has the worst infection and death rate in the world.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yay

Covid vaccines may need updating to protect against new variant, study suggests
Neutralising ability of antibodies typically falls eight-fold with South African variant
Coronavirus vaccines may need to be redesigned this year to boost protection against a new variant that emerged rapidly in South Africa, research suggests, while past Covid sufferers may not be protected against reinfection.

Research by South African government scientists reveals that mutations of the new variant, known as 501Y.v2 or B1351, make the variant substantially resistant to antibodies in blood plasma donated by Covid patients.

The findings suggest it may be more likely to reinfect people who have already had Covid, and that vaccines being rolled out across the globe may be less effective. Since the variant emerged late last year, it has prompted travel bans around the world.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 … y-suggests

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard