jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6721|Doncaster, England
I am having to right this on my wife's laptop so please help me.

With only task manager open on the desktop.
iexplore.exe jumps up and down form 0% to 10%
After only 2 or 3 minutes, it jumps up to 99% CPU usage.
I managed to close it once and rundll started to use 99%

If I do nothing and leave it on for more than 10 minutes,
it wont even shutdown or restart.

I changed my RAM because I was told it might be that.

I really don't know what to so please help.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
specs?
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6472|Foothills of S. Carolina

Sounds like it might be a virus. Try running anti virus and spyware cleaners in safe mode
jamesb
Why do specs make a difference?

I'll do a check tomorrow, it's midnight here.

Thanks.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6575|Florida
spyware?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85

jamesb wrote:

Why do specs make a difference?

I'll do a check tomorrow, it's midnight here.

Thanks.
Well if her processor sucks, RAM issues, windows version, who you bought it from, could all make a difference. Please read the stickies in this section.
kilgoretrout
+53|6467|Little Rock, AR
yeah, sounds like spyware/adware/virus issues.  check out this post.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=15541
Kev0
+0|6618|Sacramento, California
if getting rid of spyware/viruses doesnt do the trick, its time for a good old fashioned reformat
SgtSmokem
+9|6459|Hotlanta, GA
I would say that it is either spyware, a virus or something else is running in the background.  You can go to the Run prompt and type in MSCONFIG, then click on startup tab, make sure you dont have anything you dont need checked to open during start up.  Make sure you run Aadware and/or Spybot or both as seperately they do not typically catch all spyware/adware.  It is also possible that the PC is overheating, check your temperatures and make sure all your fans, especially the processor cooling fan are running.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6691|Vancouver BC Canada
I had this the other day, it was a rogue process. I had to Alt+Ctrl+Del and found the 99 CPU usage process, end it and it never showed itself again.
aslpride
+6|6660

Kev0 wrote:

if getting rid of spyware/viruses doesnt do the trick, its time for a good old fashioned reformat
For me as IT technical, reformat is easy way out, but I like the challenge to find the problem and remove it. However, since it is personal computer instead of corporation's mainframe. Hell with it, reformat your hard drive will do the job.

aslpride
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Ram was my first guess but you have replaced it. Mobo is another possibility. Have you noticed which process is eating up your CPU. Be warned also when forcing a shutdown of a program. Usually a process opens up called dumprep. This process will take 50 percent or more of your CPU power. This is for each program that starts to hang up and you frantically start click the close program window.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6719|Oregon
either a)virus b)one of those medical super-computer things (turns your idle process into a virtual cpu used for data processing and whatnot, friend tried to get me to do it, otherwise i wouldn't know about it).
bedolf57
+20|6711|Metz, France
well running PC is for noobs
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6550|SoCal
Spyware is the problem, I run UD but it only loads during the time a screensaver is on if I am active then it is not running at all. Get Highjack this, it is not to protect you but it is for cleaning purposes and you can't beat it. It can make a text file that you can read and see every registry entry and the location of the reg entry that is part of the whole startup process. Also always use cleaners or scanning programs like spybot S&D in safemode whenver you think your infected bacause under that mode only the most needed drivers are loaded and all others are skipped. this will both make the program your using more effective and more able to fix it.

If you have XP Pro then right click on your drive and choose properties, then the security tab and at the bottom, click advanced button. from here the owner tab and check replace option at bottom, On permissions tab check replace permisions and apply.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Hijack this.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html  ^^
Also if you wan't to post your results here http://hjt.networktechs.com/ it will help you figure out whats good and bad.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jamesb

CronicjoeBlunt wrote:

Spyware is the problem, I run UD but it only loads during the time a screensaver is on if I am active then it is not running at all. Get Highjack this, it is not to protect you but it is for cleaning purposes and you can't beat it. It can make a text file that you can read and see every registry entry and the location of the reg entry that is part of the whole startup process. Also always use cleaners or scanning programs like spybot S&D in safemode whenver you think your infected bacause under that mode only the most needed drivers are loaded and all others are skipped. this will both make the program your using more effective and more able to fix it.

If you have XP Pro then right click on your drive and choose properties, then the security tab and at the bottom, click advanced button. from here the owner tab and check replace option at bottom, On permissions tab check replace permisions and apply.
What does this do?

Temperature is 52 and 31.

"iexplore" is using 99%
I closed it a few times and it opened it's self again.
But 1 time I closed it "rundll" started to use 99%

How do I format?
It might sound stupid I don't know how to do, but I've never needed to.

Thanks guys for all your help so far 
Lloyd12121
+3|6455|england
Happend to me 1nce neve again after
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6676|Broadlands, VA

SgtSmokem wrote:

I would say that it is either spyware, a virus or something else is running in the background.  You can go to the Run prompt and type in MSCONFIG, then click on startup tab, make sure you dont have anything you dont need checked to open during start up.  Make sure you run Aadware and/or Spybot or both as seperately they do not typically catch all spyware/adware.  It is also possible that the PC is overheating, check your temperatures and make sure all your fans, especially the processor cooling fan are running.
Run MSCONFIG and look especially for blank lines.  Also, each entry gives you the fill patch to the executable.  look for garbage entries like "ijkle".  Uncheck the box and then follow the instructions.   On boot up you will get a "warning" that you are running a modified config.  Check the box that says "Shut Up" and keep going.

Last edited by Kaosdad008 (2006-08-30 10:14:14)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

jamesb wrote:

How do I format?
It might sound stupid I don't know how to do, but I've never needed to.

Thanks guys for all your help so far 
Try a system restore first. Start>Programs>Accesories>Sytem tools
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jamesb
Cheers guys,
found a virus and did a restore, seem ok for now.

Thanks everyone
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6676|Broadlands, VA
Excellent James!  Gotta keep the "Little Lady" happy.
K.Arathorn
+4|6739|Sweden
I have this problem on two of three computer. I'm running both AdAware Windows Defender & SpyBoot as well as a full Norton kit.

The problem appears after closing down IE, mostly this result in 99% cpu usage of IE. Instead of rformat the drive I just use the task manager and close IE.

Brg
//K.Arathorn
Teflon.DEP
cunning n' quick
+35|6447|United States
had a nasty virus about a year ago where iexplorer.exe would stay in my task mgr even though I ended it. I would end it and it would come back over and over...dureing rounds in Bf2 pop ups would crash me to the desktop.

I finally paid $27.99 for webroot spysweeper...its sweet and the subscription lasts a year. It got rid of my problem.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Why arent you guys looking at what process is taking all ur cpu via task mgr ?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard