Wizardspike
+0|6452
Would you consider the pro-life view to be sectarian?  It is a narrow, conservative view that can only be attractive to members of the religious right.
Trel
+70|6669
Form a coherent sentence and argument, then come back.

Until then, stfu.
Good to be back.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

im pro life, and am not a member of the religious right, so no.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
I'm pro-choice in the sense that if either the baby or mother will be put at risk or if it's a case of rape or incest, then abortion should be allowed.  It should not be allowed as a form of birth control if the mother decides she is unfit to be a parent or just decides she doesn't want a child.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

TMo sums up my views on the matter. They invented the pill, condoms and all sorts of other stuff as birth control. Abortion is just a way of avoiding responsibility that should be dealt with.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6712|California

if i dont want to die, does that mean im sectarian?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

im pro life, and am not a member of the religious right, so no.
Same. I'm jewish and I'm pro-life. And I'm also not religious in any way, shape, or form. Sorta like Billy Joel
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6542|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
To all those "pro-life" guys, can you tell me the earliest thing you can remember?  Chances are it'll be 2 or 3 years old at the earliest and we are talking about undeveloped babies that have no sense of life, emotion, pain or anything......

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2006-08-21 05:41:54)

Vintageologist
Tankbuster
+31|6750|Vienna, Austria

ThomasMorgan wrote:

I'm pro-choice in the sense that if either the baby or mother will be put at risk or if it's a case of rape or incest, then abortion should be allowed.  It should not be allowed as a form of birth control if the mother decides she is unfit to be a parent or just decides she doesn't want a child.
That's what I say too... if it's the mother's fault (i.e. not taking resposibility and using condoms or the pill) it shouldn't be allowed after like... the 3rd month. BUT if it happens as the result of rape, or is threatening th elife of the mother, it should be valid.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Vintageologist wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

That's what I say too... if it's the mother's fault (i.e. not taking resposibility and using condoms or the pill) it shouldn't be allowed after like... the 3rd month. BUT if it happens as the result of rape, or is threatening th elife of the mother, it should be valid.
I agree in half the things you said.  I think abortion should be allowed in the first case too, what you should do is giving people the education to know how to avoid getting pregnant for a one night fuck.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6707|US
Sergeriver, schools already do that, but people don't pay attention.
I am pro-life and religious, but my pro-life view is not solely because of my faith.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2006-08-21 06:41:51)

Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6687|Mountains of West Virginia

RAIMIUS wrote:

Sergeriver, schools already do that, but people don't pay attention.
You mean by preaching abstinence instead of safe sex?
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ

Flecco wrote:

TMo sums up my views on the matter. They invented the pill, condoms and all sorts of other stuff as birth control. Abortion is just a way of avoiding responsibility that should be dealt with.
I don't understand that way of thinking at all, having an abortion is taking responsibilty for the accidental conseption.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

To all those "pro-life" guys, can you tell me the earliest thing you can remember?  Chances are it'll be 2 or 3 years old at the earliest and we are talking about undeveloped babies that have no sense of life, emotion, pain or anything......
Speak for yourself, I remember the house I lived in when I was under 2 years old. I'm not sure when the memory is from but I know I moved out of the house when I was 16 months old.

@ Fass, we have condoms, the pill and alot of other ways of controlling birth. By the time people consider getting an abortion isn't it possible that they can put the kid up for adoption?

Last edited by Flecco (2006-08-21 14:53:19)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
Yes but the only way to truely prevent birth that is 100% is abstinance. Every other way has a chance of getting pregnant.

Well you usually find out about the pregnacy with in 1-2 months, so no adoption alot of the times isn't even an option. There are cost involved with being pregnant and caring the fetus for the full 9 months.
jonsimon
+224|6487
Wouldn't it be better to abort a would be child if the mother can't raise it properly? I mean, the primary pro-life argument is about saving a life, but if the mother cannot raise the child two lives are pained.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

What's wrong with abortions? Admittedly they are something you would strive to avoid, but I see them essentially as just another form of contraception - just a bit further down the line. It all just depends on where you draw the line, 3, 4, 5 months into a pregnancy, who cares - it's not a person yet. Unwanted babies ruin lives.
*edit* A 'morning after pill' is pretty much an abortion - are pro-lifers against them too? If so why?
I hope it won't be too long before the stigma surrounding abortions disappears, a bit like with contraception and Catholicism (not completely disappeared but almost).

Also, Wizardspike - please try to form coherent grammatical sentences, especially when they are to be used as the title of a thread.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-08-21 15:55:48)

Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6467|Foothills of S. Carolina

Unwanted babies ruin lives? Just think of all the aborted babies there have been, and just one of them may have been able to cure a whole list of ailments down the line. As for abortion versus having to live a poor life, boohoo, your poor. The government has tons of programs for the poor, I know because they take my hard earned money to pay for them in the form of taxes. And as far as nine months is too short a time for an adoption, you do know that any state hospital must take in and deliver a child, and also that most if not all states now allow a child within a certain time frame to be left at a hospital, church or police station, no questions asked. Seems to me there are a great number of options other than abortion. And fass, your right, the only 100% guarantee of not getting pregnant is abstinence, so freckin what. Abstinence and virginity are virtues lost in this world right now. On the whole the world would probably be mush better off if more people had those virtues.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Then how come undeveloped babies flail around and struggle against the devices? Ones intactly removed will sit there on pans shrieking (if they have the capability). I recall a story about one being old enough to lie there exposed on a stainless-steel table screaming. The 'mother' had experienced difficulties during the procedure, and paramedics were brought in. One of them saw the screaming baby and, against the clinic's wishes, took it back to the hospital. Never did hear if he/she survived, because it was against policy to tell.

Just because most people don't remember anything earlier than 1.5-2 years of age doesn't mean that we should be allowed to abort them too, does it? Wait, could we detect possible deviations from the norm while they're in the womb? Well, let's just go ahead and adopt a system of eugenics right now! What about someone with a memory disorder? They'll never recall anything beyond the moment, so just kill them now. Maybe you should put retarded people into the equation. And then the otherwise crippled, what about them? Hell, someone in their eighties may have difficulty recalling details about their childhood. A man with Alzheimer's might not remember his early life at all (except from time to time). I'd be pro-life even if I wasn't religious.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-21 16:27:53)

|-LoNgHiLL-|
Member Member
+7|6554|Classified

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Yes but the only way to truely prevent birth that is 100% is abstinance. Every other way has a chance of getting pregnant.

Well you usually find out about the pregnacy with in 1-2 months, so no adoption alot of the times isn't even an option. There are cost involved with being pregnant and caring the fetus for the full 9 months.
Get over it...
The government will pay the costs out of the insurance plan you payed for every time you pay your taxes on anything...
So will private organizations...

jonsimon wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to abort a would be child if the mother can't raise it properly? I mean, the primary pro-life argument is about saving a life, but if the mother cannot raise the child two lives are pained.
Get over it...
There is pain in life, its good to deal with pain and be taught to deal with it...
And the pain that you are talking about shouldnt even be a problem...

Bertster7 wrote:

What's wrong with abortions? Admittedly they are something you would strive to avoid, but I see them essentially as just another form of contraception - just a bit further down the line. It all just depends on where you draw the line, 3, 4, 5 months into a pregnancy, who cares - it's not a person yet. Unwanted babies ruin lives.
Yes, I think almost everyone should know that it depends on what you think is a life...
I believe there is life at contraception, your damn semen is alive...
If life were to stop at any point from contraception to birth there would be no baby...

Im pro abortion, but I believe the doctors should be tried for murder and the parents tried as accomplices...
I think Iv said it before on these forums, the only time I advocate abortion is when lives are threatened...
Or of course there is the morning-after pill, if you want to be like that and if you have been raped...
jonsimon
+224|6487

Canin wrote:

Unwanted babies ruin lives? Just think of all the aborted babies there have been, and just one of them may have been able to cure a whole list of ailments down the line. As for abortion versus having to live a poor life, boohoo, your poor. The government has tons of programs for the poor, I know because they take my hard earned money to pay for them in the form of taxes. And as far as nine months is too short a time for an adoption, you do know that any state hospital must take in and deliver a child, and also that most if not all states now allow a child within a certain time frame to be left at a hospital, church or police station, no questions asked. Seems to me there are a great number of options other than abortion. And fass, your right, the only 100% guarantee of not getting pregnant is abstinence, so freckin what. Abstinence and virginity are virtues lost in this world right now. On the whole the world would probably be mush better off if more people had those virtues.
Unwanted babies generally do ruin lives. Both the parents and the childs.

Citing the potential of an arboted fetus to "cure ailments" is as foolish as citing that a parent who cannot afford to abort her child would have done the same.

You have never been poor, obviously, and thus cannot sympathize. I think you should not belittle the plight of others before you can understand it.

The government has some welfare for the poor, but not much and certainly not enough. Welfare alone will not remedy their economic status. Furthermore, many pro-lifers are trying to dismantle welfare for the poor.

As for adoption, we already have an overflow of oprhans up for adoption, do we really need more?

Abstinence and virginity? Laughable, not only does it contradict survival instinct, if anything it is more prevelant now than ever. Even the catholic church which preached monogomy, and abstinence for the clergy was perhaps the most lecherous establishment of its time. Abstinence is a myth propagated by the Catholic chruch in the earlier centuries of the last millenium.
jonsimon
+224|6487

|-LoNgHiLL-| wrote:

Yes, I think almost everyone should know that it depends on what you think is a life...
I believe there is life at contraception, your damn semen is alive...
If life were to stop at any point from contraception to birth there would be no baby...

Im pro abortion, but I believe the doctors should be tried for murder and the parents tried as accomplices...
I think Iv said it before on these forums, the only time I advocate abortion is when lives are threatened...
Or of course there is the morning-after pill, if you want to be like that and if you have been raped...
I think you mean "conception". Contraception is a preventative measure, such as condoms.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Canin wrote:

Yup - if everyone exclusively had the 'virtues' of abstinance and virginity the world would be a much better place - there wouldn't be any people in it for a start.

From any non religious stance having lots of sex is a good thing. The purpose of life is procreation, the need of the species to continue it's existence, to save all of mankind. What nobler cause is there than that.

Abortions are a by-product of social evolution, which will become more accepted as society evolves further. There will probably always be religious radicals who are against abortions but, I believe, in the not too distant future they will be thought of as backwards religious nutters by society in general - much as fundamentalist Muslims are today.

I still don't see what people have against abortions - foetuses aren't people they are just a sort of blob that will eventually turn into a person.
|-LoNgHiLL-|
Member Member
+7|6554|Classified

jonsimon wrote:

I think you mean "conception". Contraception is a preventative measure, such as condoms.
Uhg, I was hoping Bertster7 would catch that; you ruined that, thanx...

Bertster7 wrote:

please try to form coherent grammatical sentences, especially when they are to be used as the title of a thread.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6467|Foothills of S. Carolina

jonsimon wrote:

Unwanted babies generally do ruin lives. Both the parents and the childs.

Citing the potential of an arboted fetus to "cure ailments" is as foolish as citing that a parent who cannot afford to abort her child would have done the same.

You have never been poor, obviously, and thus cannot sympathize. I think you should not belittle the plight of others before you can understand it.

The government has some welfare for the poor, but not much and certainly not enough. Welfare alone will not remedy their economic status. Furthermore, many pro-lifers are trying to dismantle welfare for the poor.

As for adoption, we already have an overflow of oprhans up for adoption, do we really need more?

Abstinence and virginity? Laughable, not only does it contradict survival instinct, if anything it is more prevelant now than ever. Even the catholic church which preached monogomy, and abstinence for the clergy was perhaps the most lecherous establishment of its time. Abstinence is a myth propagated by the Catholic chruch in the earlier centuries of the last millenium.
I'm not going to bother rebutting the first two sentences as it would result in a flame war. As for not being poor and not understanding. Don't judge people you don't know without first finding out the facts. I have been poor, as described by the government. Have I been homeless? No, I have always been fortunate to have a roof over my head, whether it be my own, my parents or someone else in my family to take my family in. But not having money to buy food, that is poor. Not having money to buy clothes, instead wearing someone elses second hand clothes because it was only a quarter a garment at the thrift store, that is poor.

As for the government welfare system. I know a little about that too, my family having been in need of food stamps when I was a child and then being denied them while the next person in line pulls up in a Cadillac and is given them. The welfare system hasn't changed in the last 25 years either, all its done is created a welfare state that generations are sponging off of because they feel thats the way it should be.

On the adoption point, I know people who have adopted and they were unable to adopt from within the US. They ended up adopting from Russia. Another went through the adoption process 4 times before being able to adopt from within the US. So perhaps the process is the cause of the so called over abundance of orphans in the US.

As for your retort on abstinence and virginity, I was not implying that everyone should stay a virgin their whole life. I do however advocating abstinence and virginity until marriage. Imagine where the STD rate would be right now if that were to happen. But alas it is not so.

And as a final thought you chose to bring religion into the mix. My religion as a matter of fact. The only reason you claim that the Catholic priests were the most lecherous is because they were held in the highest esteem. A priest is not infallible. They are not GOD or JESUS. They are human and have human tendencies and failings. Preaching abstinence and monogamy are good things. How else will a marriage survive if it were not monogamous, and what better way to lower the abortion rate than through abstinence?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard