Poll

How many Americans know of the burning of Washington D.C.?

Yes, you do know about the event.75%75% - 109
No, you didn't know.24%24% - 35
Total: 144
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6685|NT, like Mick Dundee

I've seen so many Americans on this forum bring up the war of independance and they are quite proud of it. With reason I suppose. It also seems that many of you think that the US of A would have won the war without French support and/or if the British weren't already fighting another war at the time. So I just wanted to point out that the British army along with the Canadian militia burned down Washington D.C. This was after an American president thought that invading Canada might be a smart thing to do. Is the War of 1812 taught in the US of A? Is it widely known that the US of A has been invaded before?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
one_of_ten
+7|6676|Brussels, Belgium
I'm not American but I didn't know it so I null voted.

But it's still interesting to show that USA is not invincible and that it had bad times too.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6727|67.222.138.85
Uhhh, yeah, in 1812, in a country with its first major war less than 50 years old, and we still won on whatever conditions.

Not trying to sound arrogant, just putting it all in context.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6494|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
If i remember, the usa nearly lost, britain was fighting wars all over the world and where bound to lose somewhere, i would say we kicked the americans ass for a while then we just gotten beat.
I also herd from videos n such when americans say 'we beat you guys before, we can do it again' HA! yeah right your having a laugh.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Uhhh, yeah, in 1812, in a country with its first major war less than 50 years old, and we still won on whatever conditions.

No, you invaded Canada and promptly were thrown out and then had your capital burned down. Doesn't sound like a decisive victory does it?
Flaming_Maniac

ELITE-UK wrote:

If i remember, the usa nearly lost, britain was fighting wars all over the world and where bound to lose somewhere, i would say we kicked the americans ass for a while then we just gotten beat.
I also herd from videos n such when americans say 'we beat you guys before, we can do it again' HA! yeah right your having a laugh.
If you mean "kicked our ass" as in "boarded alot of boats and forced the crew into service in the British Navy" then yes, you did. I'm sure if Britain's full resources were dedicated to fighting America then it probably would have won, but there comes a price with being a world power, much like right now. What would happen to America if China decided to attack? We would put up one helluva fight I'm sure and maybe win, but the fact is many of our forces are dedicated elsewhere and would make us initially very vulnerable.

As far as kicking your asses again, past the fact that we're allies, we would probably beat you, in sheer numbers, seeing as the level of technology on both sides is very comprable. It wouldn't be very pretty though.

Edit:

Flecco wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

No, you invaded Canada and promptly were thrown out and then had your capital burned down. Doesn't sound like a decisive victory does it?
Well WWII wasn't a very decisive victory either, but the Allies still won.

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-08-07 05:55:37)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

Allies didn't start that war though.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6597|Arlen, Texas
All propaganda. This is the land of rainbows and chocolate rivers. We don't even let foreigners in any more, unless they do "Cold As Ice" and "Urgent"
Flaming_Maniac

Flecco wrote:

That doesn't matter to my point. I'm saying any victory where your country still works is a victory.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

That doesn't matter to my point. I'm saying any victory where your country still works is a victory.
The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Thier invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
Flaming_Maniac

Flecco wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Thier invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
If I remember correctly I think it was repelled, and I know the US won a series of naval battles as well. The US didn't sit on their duffs asking Britain to sign a treaty.
JG1567JG
+110|6608|United States of America

Flecco wrote:

I've seen so many Americans on this forum bring up the war of independance and they are quite proud of it. With reason I suppose. It also seems that many of you think that the US of A would have won the war without French support and/or if the British weren't already fighting another war at the time. So I just wanted to point out that the British army along with the Canadian militia burned down Washington D.C. This was after an American president thought that invading Canada might be a smart thing to do. Is the War of 1812 taught in the US of A? Is it widely known that the US of A has been invaded before?
The reason it was a smart thing to do is to get the British out of North America.  The plan originally backfired and we lost the White House to fire along with I'm sure allot of Washington D.C.  When it was all said and done with I do think the British left North America.

P.S. The burning of Washington D.C. was retaliation for us Americans burning Toronto which was the Colonial Canadian Capital.  A treaty was signed in Dec. 24, 1814.  On Jan. 8, 1815 Andrew Jackson defeated a huge British attack force in New Orleans while the news of the Ghent peace treaty made its way across the Atlantic.

We were invaded on Dec. 7, 1941 also.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-08-07 06:31:37)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Their invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
If I remember correctly I think it was repelled, and I know the US won a series of naval battles as well. The US didn't sit on their duffs asking Britain to sign a treaty.
Nope, Brits asked for the treaty.

Pearl Harbour was bombed, the mainland of the US of A wasn't invaded by Japan at any stage in the war. I do believe Canada asked for independence, just as Australia did.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6569|Southeastern USA
alaska was invaded but didn't become a state til 1950 i believe
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

ELITE-UK wrote:

as someone pointed out in another post, just one of our carrier fleets has more firepower than your entire navy, and their are only about 380 of your precious challenger II's in existence, have fun

and to be fair i also promote england's ass-kickitude whenever possible
JG1567JG

kr@cker wrote:

alaska was invaded but didn't become a state til 1950 i believe
January 3, 1959--Statehood.   The Japanese did invade the Aleutian Islands in Alaska

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-08-07 06:49:21)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6570|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
The 1812 war isn't rememered because nothing came of it.  The Americans wanted to take Canada in which they failed and Britain wanted to take parts of North America (for the native indians, see the Brits were the good guys ) and failed and the outcome was going back to the status quo that the war of independence left....

Also, on a point of not teaching things, why isn't WW1 taught as an invasion of Iraq?  Which is how is started but we get taught some bull about Duke Ferdinand like a World War can start from the death of some nobody and we believe it.....
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
beat me to it, hawaii wasn't until 1959 as well
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

The 1812 war isn't rememered because nothing came of it.  The Americans wanted to take Canada in which they failed and Britain wanted to take parts of North America (for the native indians, see the Brits were the good guys ) and failed and the outcome was going back to the status quo that the war of independence left....

Also, on a point of not teaching things, why isn't WW1 taught as an invasion of Iraq?  Which is how is started but we get taught some bull about Duke Ferdinand like a World War can start from the death of some nobody and we believe it.....
and thus the revisionist's never ending quest to re-write history continues
JG1567JG
I never heard this before.

Wikipedia wrote:

The United States mainland was first shelled by the Axis on February 23, 1942 when the Japanese submarine I-17 attacked the Ellwood oil production facilities at Goleta, near Santa Barbara, California. Although only a catwalk and pumphouse were damaged, I-17 captain Nishino Kozo radioed Tokyo that he had left Santa Barbara in flames. No casualties were reported and the total cost of the damage was estimated at approximately $500.

Attacks on Oregon
In what became the only attack on a mainland American military installation during World War II, a Japanese submarine surfaced near the mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon on the night of June 21-22, 1942, and fired shells toward Fort Stevens. The only damage recorded was to a baseball field's backstop.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-08-07 06:54:58)

chuckle_hound
+32|6687|Edinburgh, Scotland
All this talk of war and countries kicking each other's respective asses makes me feel safe in the knowledge that even without computers, fast cars and flashy clothes we'd still find something to use to compensate for having small penis' 

Gryphen_au
+5|6499
So it went from the Burning of Washington DC to WWI and WWII....

...how about Korea and Vietnam neither were victories for the USA.

Last edited by Gryphen_au (2006-08-07 06:56:05)

jonsimon
+224|6515
The US definetly lost. We tried to invade Canada, were stupid enough to attack a city from the bottom of a bluff, and got bombarded with cannon fire until we retreated home. The British repelled our invasion in days, then proceeded to invade us in return, walking all over us until the costs became too great. Sure we won a few battles, but that hardly means anything.

Last edited by jonsimon (2006-08-07 06:57:01)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
funny how the war being sparked by repeated "violations of sovereignty" on the part of the British and repeated naval victories over the larger and more experienced royal navy are being glossed over, if anything, it was a stalemate, landwise at least for each sides losses there was a comparable victory, if we were so ashamed of our "humbling defeat" then our national anthem wouldn't be a poem written about a battle during the war
Flaming_Maniac

Flecco wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Their invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
Nope, Brits asked for the treaty.

Pearl Harbour was bombed, the mainland of the US of A wasn't invaded by Japan at any stage in the war. I do believe Canada asked for independence, just as Australia did.
Yeah, the Brits asked for the treaty, proving my point. If they were not losing and/or wanted their resources directed elsewhere, why would they have asked for a treaty? The U.S. never asked for a treaty, and was ready and willing to keep fighting.

What do you term as an invasion? Japan violated U.S. airspace without permission, I'd say that's invading.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard