||3rb||MOBB
+68|6459
I've been flying jets for quite some time now and have no problem shooting down helicopters on the first pass, however, I value a good attack helicopter on my team and would like to raise his survivability in combat so the following guide is specifically made to help you survive encounters with ELITE JET PILOTS.

I usually take down helicopters on the first pass 4 out of 5 times, and when I do this there is no warning lock I aim for your canopy (since I sometimes shoot out the pilot) because it does more damage than anywhere else and boom the helo falls out of the sky, I'll initially come from your 4 oclock to 5 oclock position or 7 to 8 oclock position WITH NO LOCK TONE. If you see a pilot doing this or variation of this, take note and counter, heres what I found makes a hard target for me when engaging an attack helo and if you want to survive at least some of the time when in a helo against a veteran jet pilot here's what makes life harder for us(assuming your fighter pilot is not doing his job, shooting down jets)

***IMPORTANT***

before I go into these maneuvers which I know for a fact evade most pilots THEY WILL NOT WORK ON VERY GOOD PILOTS WHO KILL ON ONE PASS WITHOUT GIVING YOU A MISSLE WARNING!!! only your fighter jet can stop this. now if he needs two passes to take you down keep reading, this is how your going to survive...

1. youll only have about 6 to 7 seconds to do this so be quick about it, right after he makes his first pass, drop between buildings or other solid objects (IE. hills, mountains, hangers ect) so your covered by at least 2 sides, like between two buildings. Your going to have to literaly drop close to the ground about 10 feet off of it and wait about 10 seconds and pray you dont get towed, tv'd ect. This works mainly because I cant spot you visually and I cant scan with anti air on and turn it off the second I see you.

***IMPORTANT*** PILOTS CAN SCAN WITH ANTI AIR ON, ONCE THEY SEE YOU TURN IT OFF AND YOU WONT HEAR A SINGLE TONE ENABLEING THEM TO SNEAK UP ON YOU!!!

after the ten seconds go by you should be clear to get your *** to the helo pad for repairs but again, you want to keep your head on a swivel, alot of times if I engage a helo and for some miracle evades me I know where your going (the helo pad for repairs...Duh), and yes I'll be waiting, If you have two helipads like on gulf of oman, I highly recommend you change up which helo pad you repair and rearm at time to time, IT WILL SAVE YOUR ***. IMPORTANT!!! if you see him fly by you after you take cover between the buildings, assume he saw you and is coming back for a third pass, and change location...QUICKLY. believe me when I say this, If I have to take 3 passes to kill you I leave myself open at low altitude for a very long time to the enemy fighter getting on my *** and shooting me down or enemy ground AA shooting me, which brings up another very important issue, if Im up in the air and your being engaged by an enemy jet or attack helo....SPOT THE SOB!!!! even if your totally off on location I'll check my map for whos flashing after jet or helo spotted sounds and I'll be coming to your location within 10 seconds,

***if no cover available go to option 2 below***

2. Some maps like WAKE have no building to hide between or very sparse cover, PALM TREES PROVIDE NO COVER AND VIRTUALLY NO CONCEALMENT VS JETS!!!! the concealment might work against other attack helos or ground forces but not jet pilots who know what they are doing...period. How do I evade jets if I cant duck between buildings or duck in between hills? you might ask? Assuming he didnt kill you the first pass, you just want to start gaining altitude as fast as possible go straight up and face away from the direction you think he might be coming from (explained below in what not to do), alot of times you can gain enough altitude that the jet will lose you entirely or youll at least screw up his second attack run (yes this has even caught me off guard once or twice). again aftter pass #2 you want to change location, now you want to nose the helo down and take it as low as you can go as quickly as possible, this willl take the jet pilot to attack run #3, hopfully your spotting the hell out of this guy because like I said before, if you have a pilot on yoru side with any ounce of skill, he will engage the enemy jet and clear your six. Change this up though, If you get lit up again on the third pass sometimes keep climbing to prevent being predictable ( also jets go a little faster at around 300 feet) However, DO NOT keep climbing after the third pass ever though, if hes determined to kill you, he'll come up under you or If hes smart and determined to kill you, he'll climb to 700 feet and come down on you which is lethal ( i'll explain why later)
the above two tactics are further enhanced if you can do them above known freindly aa stations, (explained later in this guide)

these two evasion tactics are for if you are getting shot down like clockwork BUT... very important but, it takes at least two passes for him to kill you, a single pass helo kill is very difficult to counter for a helo. On that note I want to bring up a few things I've seen that dont work and just make you look outright bad before you die.

1. Dont do flips and loopty loops, why you might ask? I just have to aim at your base of the rotor, that spot is your pivot point and you will still die the second pass since I only have to adjust slightly with guns to hit that spot, secondly, your going to run out of altitude or better yet smack something stationary,(I see the latter alot) and kind of shrug and move onto the next target chuckling.

2. DONT face the helo!!!, you present the highest damage portion of the helo which is the cockpit, the cockpit takes the fewest hits to take down the helos, I've seen alot of posts from other helo pilots recommending to face attacking jets, omg!!! dont do it if the pilot of the jet knows what he is doing, your making his job easier, you actually want to maneuver so your rear is facing him if possible but dont fly away from him, it gives him more time empty rounds into you, instead pull back ward a bit, this will make it so the jet has to empty rounds into a smaller target thats not as vulnerable as your cockpit for a shorter time. When I know a pilot will consistantly face me and fire missles, One tactice that works very well on attack helicpoters is this, I climb high above him, I then come down on him with guns blazing, and time my missle to actually lock at the last possible moment and fire, the missle always hits. I'm not sure if it's the same situation when your just sitting on the helipad and the flares just fall down away from the helo but the missle just always hits, ever since the game came out for all the patches. so if you want to face me and fire, go ahead but youve been warned. reason why I dont do the last method as the most preferable is because it uses a missle and I like to save those for other jets,

***KNOW THY ENEMY***

as a jet fighter pilot, I have a targeting priority this is it and yes it is very simple yet flexible.

1. Kill jets
2. kill AA/KILL HELICOPTERs (interchangeable depending on map and circumstances)
3. bombing

when I shoot down the enemy fighter jet, I know I have 30 seconds (on most maps) to find the attack helo and shoot him down before the enemy fighter gets back up, why is this important you might ask? because you now know that when being engaged by a GOOD FIGHTER PILOT that he is aware that he needs to shoot you down quickly to be able to reengage the enemy jet, also if I get locked on by enemy AA while engageing an attack guess who I'm going to go after?(the aa if you didnt figure it out) since he is actually a threat to me, that buys you enough time to get out of the hot zone.

***CONCLUSION***

these are some things you can do to evade the better pilots, and this guide is written specifically to evade better pilots, not noobs, yes there plenty of evasion tactics that work on green pilots and they are not hard to evade also green pilots also smack the ground alot of times if I just lock onto them going in for a bombing run, so if nothing else, just put this in your toolbox and use it if you want but know this, I value a good attack helicopter on my team because I know how effective they are on armor when they are not dodging other jets, other attack helos and enemy AA, so I facilitate their mission with my targeting priority (see above) hence, I want them to survive, so they kill the maximum amount of armor, so we win. I hope this helps, If you have any specific questions for me I'm more than happy to answer, If I dont know Ill be honest and tell you that. I hope If your on my team that you use this and you do your job, kill armor and infantry. thanks for listening,

||3RB||MOBB
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6725|United States of America
Sweet.
horny_trojan
+39|6680|Los FUCKING Angeles
mmmm...interesting
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Very helpfull, I do similar things to avoid jets and to attack choppers, hope to be your wingman or even better apponent 1 day +1
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

Allah will guide the plane into the helo!
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

It's been so long since someone has made a helpful post that I didn't know how to react to this. I re-read this a couple of times, but couldn't figure out who he had pwnt, who had h@xx3d and kicked him unfairly, why (insert some egregious misspelling of karkand here) was the best map ever, and why there was no moronic poll (which is better, ice or snow?). Then I realized he was actually posting something possibly USEFUL and relevant about bf2. It's been a long, long time and it's nice to see something like this again. I don't even care if it's good info, I'm just so relieved to see a different post that I'm going to +1 this guy everyday for the next few days.

I applaud you MOBB!
||3rb||MOBB
+68|6459
I appreciate the thanks but if you really want to thank me, fly that damn attack helicopter for my team and kick the crap out of the armor and infantry, I'll make it as jet free, helo free and AA free as possible.

||3RB||MOBB
TXVeteran512
+16|6462
thanks but i never get in a chopper or jet..... more of a man on my feet with no need to hide behind some metal
eagles1106
+269|6553|Marlton, New Jersey.
already know how but thanks
8k driver points at 68k global points, i fly the chopper WAY too much

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-07-21 23:01:36)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

OK. Heres another thing.

If you are being attacked by a Jet, analyze where he is shooting you from.
Next, Make a SHARP, 90 degree turn to your left and right. As soon as youve done that, dip straight down.
The jets have a weakness in that they arent very manouvreable. A sharp left forces him to readjust, whcih takes time. Dipping down then forces him to readjust once again, limiting or even removing his guns out of the Picture. At that point, if you hear flares, drop em' and Reposition. Thats what works for me.
I'm better at a Jet, and like the OP you will probobly get taken down first chance by me. Guns Only.
||3rb||MOBB
+68|6459
I've seen what youve described and the only problem is  that you are still in the general area of where I first engaged you, also I was watching you in my rear view.  the biggest problem is this though, I can still find you with aa mode if not visualy and take you down.  in addition to the other issues with this tactic is if you misjudge your side of the heli will be facing me, this is the easiest silhouette of the attack helo to destroy.

Dont get me wrong this will work on most people who dont look behind them but not on the better pilots, who actually anticipate this very common maneuver.

||3RB||MOBB
slicknic
+145|6596
Finally someone answeres this question.. Im a relatively experienced chopper pilot and have asked many skilled jet pilots how i can best dodge.. but most dont really answer me. 
Honestly.. against Very good jet pilots i feel as if theres really nothing i can do.  They always lock on at last second and it completely ignores flares and im down. 
But I am glad to find that i do alot of what u say already.. but I have also found barrel rolls to be the best... if you know your gonna have to take a few hits... like out in the middle of water on dalian plant. 
Another thing i agree with is spotting.. its something I always do... and it has probably saved me many times when a friendly jet comes to help out.  Or ... to know when they are coming back to hit again..  Against amature pilots i can easily have 4-5 swipes doing barrel rolls.. but good jets usually only take 1 or 2 swipes to take me out. 

i think ill try to do barrel rolls only not facing the jet now.

i <3 a good jet pilot on my team.. as long as hes not taking all my kills ;p
||3rb||MOBB
+68|6459
I appreciate the input slicknic,
I've actually flown in and smoked an enemy attack helo attacking my freindly attack helo (saving his butt) only to get a nastygram after of him saying " hey jerk, whyd you steal my kill?!!!"  I kind of shrug and keep on doing my job but most of the time I notice the attack helo starts spotting everything of the enemy that has wings or rotors once I shoot down the enemy attack helo in front of him a couple of times

||3RB||MOBB
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6689|Las Vegas
Jesus dude, you make me leery to get back in the chopper seat.  Like some kinda great white shark only with wings.....heh.  Guess I never pictured jet pilots to be so calculating.
Sgt_Bob05
Nade Spammers Must Die
+49|6671|Australia
Good advice but still once even a half decent pilot see's you you should be dead. Miss him once, okay he goes back for repairs. In that time you can make 2 more passes. If you still don't get them the heli pilot has to hover over the heli pad, which makes you a sitting duck.

Btw for pilots if you miss them first time press camera twice for fly by mode and you can turn round while watching which direction the heli goes. Then change back to first person view and take them out.

Basically heli = cannon fodder
Phrozenbot
+632|6585|do not disturb

Helis should be the least priority for jets.
NOGGIN
God.
+40|6490
nice
valli
+10|6608
Good tactics, thanks a bunch. My contribution is something mentioned in a thread a few months ago:

When you drop the flares, drop altitude at the same time. That way you "spend more time" so to speak amongst your flares on the way to cover, messing up the AA lock on the jets/Stingers.
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6529|The real world
This works for me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Wi2-2U2uI

But its a nice guide
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6550|Melbourne, Australia.
Like bob said...any decent jet pilot would be able to take out a chopper in 2-3 runs, if not 1
R2MB0
+1|6483|Poland
nice +1
Delphy
+45|6555|Bristol, UK
The thing I find damn annoying about being MGed by jets (or indeed tanks or goddamn jeeps) is that you don't get a warning, and sometimes when i'm focused on flying I don't even see my health going down until it's too late to get away.. I hate how weak helis are now, it's so infuriating sometimes. A lot of the time, you get a guy on an AA locking you, and a tank firing at you, which one do you take out?
eagles1106
+269|6553|Marlton, New Jersey.
the number of passes can actually depend on how AWARE the chopper pilot it, if the chopper pilot has no idea that his health is rapidly going down from a jet silent gunning him, hes screwed....however, if he is aware (like me ) of every moment a jet starts attacking he'll have a good chance

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-07-22 04:42:10)

||3rb||MOBB
+68|6459
why do you think im attacking from your 4 to 5 oclock position or 8 to 7 oclock... you cant see me, neither can your gunner, or death from above, they are all blind spots for helos,

||3rb||mobb
XstrangerdangerX
conversation is combat
+36|6599|Tasmania
Nice guide mate, I'd like to add something though.

A habitual manouevre for a chopper pilot when being shot up by a jet cannon is to accelerate upwards and jink. Guys like Mobb know this so next time, GO LOW. Drop and turn as quickly as possible.

Then, count on guys like Mobb to come back to finish you off (the greedy bastards) so turn towards the way they flew and slip underneath them on their way back. This is a crucial point, if you are severly injured (3 bars left) they know you will be heading to repair.. let yourself stay in danger a while longer and turn back into their flight path and dodge and weave.

Next point to add is FLY ERRATICALLY. This is absolutely crucial when repairing. On Fushe for instance when repairing at the forward US spawn point, act like you've got chopper-tourettes as you jink turn and swing all over the place.  This tactic also works when you are heading to a specific location. Never go in a straight line (unless there's no decent air opposition) always check your 9 and 3 oclock and hope that your gunner is checking your 5 and 7 and rear-viewing as well.

Only dude who has ever convincingly trounced me with the jet while I'm in the chopper is a FREAK of a guy called [S2]fun_anyone_?, that guy is psychic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard