HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6710|Germany
Hi guys,

for all of you who don´t know me : I´m one of the server admins on the european BF2s server and I´m doing this "job" for like 4 or 5 weeks now.
I never was an admin before and so after some experience now, seeing both sides of the whole story, the admin and the player, I want to add some thoughts to the "Good admin, bad admin" story.
Or in other words, I wanna stand up for all the admins out there, doing a proper job every night, to deliver you an asshat free and pleasureable event.

First of all :

WE ARE NOT GOD !

I don´t know about others but we at BF2s EU work with a admin tool named BF2CC and believe it or not, we see not much more than you guys do "down there".
https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1134/bf2ccclientplayersmenu1gs.th.jpg

Yep, that´s right...we don´t have an all seeing, god-like, satellite eye over the map that shows us exactly where player x is, and what he is doing. All we can trust are some rare written information and our own eye-sight.
And that can be a hard piece of work.
There are times and rounds when I just sit down in an uncap base the whole time because player x is accusing player y of baserapping. I´m fucking up my stats (ending a round with 0-0-0-0), and spending my time just for you guys out there.

Second :

Fairness !

Every player has to be treated equally until he proves me wrong.
That means : I can´t just kick someody, because you saw him doing something wrong. No misunderstanding, please ! We rely on players to tell us if somebody else is screwing the game up, but if we would just take every accusation to the last consequence, we would be more busy kicking people than everything else.
I have to get some sort of prove for myself before I can kick or ban somebody. Players accuse other playes in this game on a daily base, and in the least cases I´m able see if the reason for it is legit or not.
Like I said, we are not god.

Third:

A twisted mind...
This goes out to all the "bad admins out there"...
Of course I like this game and of course I like it to run around with the boys and have some fun, but their are some things we, the admins, shall never forget. We´re not superior to the other players among us, just because we wear the little "admin tag". We are there to control and keep up the peace not to mold the game to please our own pleasures.
Ask yourself the next time somebody "steals your" chopper : Could I do something about it, if I was not an admin ? No ? So let it be... Move on, play the game, nobody got harmed, just your damned pride.
See somebody shooting somebody else out of chopper with a M95 ? Well, this guy disturbs the peace and order for everybody else. You are the admin. Fine...do something about it.

Conclusion
So the next time you roam around the streets of mastuur or karkand, maybe have this little post in the back of your head, before bitching about the admin being a dirtbag because he´s not kicking the guy that "obviously" ran you over with his humvee on intention, teamkilling you.
Me and the admins I know try to provide you with a fair and good game every night, but under the given circumstances and basics this game gives us, it is just not possible to let eveybody turn off their rigs at night with a smile on their face...

Thanks for reading and feel free to discuss.

Greetz,

Tony

Last edited by HellHead (2006-04-25 18:15:57)

Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6647|Peoria
Hear Hear, I identify well with this. +1
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6746|Houston, TX
I back this post up bro.  I'm not an admin, but the management position is nothing to balk at.  Tough job.  Just keep yourself level headed, we need admins like this.

KJ
duk0r
Administrator
+306|6668|Austin, TX

Good work! *respect*
https://bf3s.com/sigs/a3a6d1102d14bf2f7e266fba7f728dc2cc38b316.png
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6789|Singapore

Word.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6748|The United Center
well said.
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine
While I don't admin for BF2 (yet) I do admin for my clan on another game, and I have to agree with everything.

Man, I knew you could switch people's teams with BF2CC!
dan500
+57|6848
I rember my days of being a admin on a ranked sever.. Some of the abuse you would get.
-=256=-Evo_Wales
The New Evolution in gaming...
+14|6757|Cardiff, Wales
Good post dude, well done
Ugaminor
+21|6674
I have a bit of experience adminning a server and yes it is a tough job.  For every shite admin there are 10 more good ones and 2 excellent ones   Thanks brother for helping the rest of us n00bs have a good time
Tor77
Ron Jeremy Apprentice
+84|6653|Norway
Good post!

I'm an admin myself but we have currently started using in-game commands instead of constantly switching between the game and BF2CC. Ask the server guys about implementing this!

Instead of right clicking on a player and warning him you can just write "!wtk monstercock" (monstercock being the player...not a command) and the player will be warned for teamkilling. If he don't oblige, write "!ktk monstercock" and he's out  

Of course the commands might be set differently for your servers - you can set it to be anything you'd like.

Anyways, check it out with your server guys. It will make your admin days much more pleasurable

Last edited by Tor77 (2006-04-26 05:26:55)

Echo
WOoKie
+383|6720|The Netherlands
First of all, cool post matey and thank you for standing up for all the good admins who spent their time keeping bf2 servers all over the world a cool place to play for everyone!

HellHead wrote:

There are times and rounds when I just sit down in an uncap base the whole time because player x is accusing player y of baserapping. I´m fucking up my stats (ending a round with 0-0-0-0), and spending my time just for you guys out there.
True, couldnt have said it better meself really. But thats just part of being an admin i guess. It takes time to keep a server asshat-free but its well worth it.

Last edited by General-Echo (2006-04-26 05:38:16)

Sambuccashake
+126|6611|Sweden
+1 admin special ability point for you!

//Jensa
Negerkungen
I could not care less
+541|6743|Topside

Amen brother!
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

two thumps up for this m8
I will help you and the other BF2s EU admins watching for asshats whenever I´m able to.
Sooner or later our beloved server will be a meeting point for the best BF2 games seen so far
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6821|Belgium

Nicely said Tony

I was thinking to place it under the BF2s servers...
But you made it so clear that everyone needs to read it...
(although I do prefer to be GOD in my own mind )

Cheers mate,
R
dubbs
+105|6632|Lexington, KY

HellHead wrote:

I´m fucking up my stats (ending a round with 0-0-0-0)
Or better yet, when you stats are 0-0-0-5 because you were admining, and keep getting killed in the game.  That happens to me all the time.  Sometimes if I am in a bad mood and the player was warned multiple times that they were breaking a rule, I feel like banning the player instead of kicking them if I die. 

Great post.  +1
Vile_Apocalypse
+8|6571
Well done....as a non-admin you have my respect, +1 if I had any karma to give
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6848|-
I think this deserves to be in the featured posts section
comet241
+164|6766|Normal, IL
Indeed, im glad to see somebody telling the truth about being an admin instead of all the posts bitching about admins. im sure that some people feel insulted after being kicked from my clans server. but nobody is kicked without fair warning first, and the rules are not only on the load screen but also constantly spammed up in the little info ticker up top. we've had some people come to our forums and bitch and then after we simply point out the rules, they feel dumb, cause they didnt read the rules or see our warning....

i think that's where 90% of the problems lie is that people dont read the rules on the load screen or on the info ticker. they also dont read it so they dont know when they are being warned. i think a little misunderstanding goes a long way in BF2. keep the big rules posted and enough people will follow them. the rest who dont want to read will just have to suffer the consquences of "12 year-old  admins" who kick them because they didn't want to take the time to read the rules on a server that somebody else is paying for and has taken the time to set up and admin for the good of everybody else.
137twozerosniper
+57|6566|UK
nice 2 see a admin show wat its like, abuse it can get bad
Honeybadger1
+0|6686
Just one stupid question. Do people have some points from being admins??
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

nope!
one_of_ten
+7|6657|Brussels, Belgium
Nice post, I'd +1 you if I was able to.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Honeybadger1 wrote:

Just one stupid question. Do people have some points from being admins??
if they abuse the system, then yes is ur answer. if theyre good man, then no, EA will just suck up ur bank account
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard