The Soup Nazi
+18|6786|North Lauderdale, FL
The Soup Nazi's Guide for Becoming a Successful Pilot

1.  Purchase a joystick.

This may be an issue of opinion, but I know that purchasing a joystick has helped my pilot skills immensely.  There are quite a few models and brands of joysticks available at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.  My best advice to you is to go to a store that has all of the joysticks on display so that you can actually see for yourself how each joystick feels and responds.

In my experience, I started with a Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick.  Product Details at Logitech.com.  This proved to be a completely worthless investment and I urge you all to not purchase this joystick.  First of all, the joystick is powered by AAA batteries and goes into "sleep mode" after 2 minutes of inactivity.  So if you're hiding out at an enemy airfield and waiting for one of their planes to spawn, you will have to remember to wake up the joystick before hopping into the plane.  If you forget, you will just sit there...  waiting to get shot out.

The second annoyance about the Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless deals with the general longevity of this device.  I used the joystick, on average, only about 1 - 2 hours per day, yet the joystick decided to become uncalibrated and "pulled left" anytime I attempted to fly.  This is a well-known product issue and many of Logitech's customers have discussed this on their Customer Support forum.

So when my cordless joystick decided to stop working properly, I decided to purchase the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Product Details at Logitech.com.  I've been using this joystick heavily for the past 3 months without any problems.  And, since it's not powered by batteries, it doesn't go into sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity. 

I have not tried any other brands or models of joysticks for Battlefield 2, so I have no opinions on anything outside of the two I tried from Logitech.  My best advice is to purchase a joystick that feels like it has been made durably and has a throttle slider and a twist handle.  These two features are a must-have for Battlefield 2.

2.  The Pursuit

Many pilots I fly against exhibit the same behavior patterns.  The majority of them flies around with their missiles armed and looks for ground targets.  When they approach a ground target, they quickly switch to their bombs, release them, and then finally switch back to missiles.  This is not a bad idea, in and of itself, but there is a lesson to be learned here.

Never, and I do mean never, chase an enemy plane down with your missiles locked on them.  Using a temporary missile lock to quickly identify friendly or enemy air targets is a much smarter routine to get accustomed to.  Once you are sure that another airborne jet is an enemy, switch immediately back to your bombs so that they will not be in missile lock.  If a pilot doesn't know you're there behind them, there's a far greater chance of you blowing them away.

And because they can't as easily find out they're being followed in this manner, there is a far greater chance of getting much closer to them than you might have had otherwise.

My method:
  a:  Fly with bombs armed until I spy other aircraft
  b:  Quickly switch from bombs to missiles and back to bombs to "scan" whether or not the target is friend or foe
  c:  With bombs armed, proceed to pursue the bogey.
  d:  I will not fire one round at my prey until I am right on their tail and they are leveled out (for example, going in for a bombing run or re-arming their weapons at an airbase)
  e:  Once these criteria have been met, I let lose with my machine guns to damage their plane as much as possible.
  f:  They normally become frantic at this time and fly extremely erratically.  But most people are pretty predictable, they will head for their base to repair as quickly as they can.  I Take this as an opportunity to slow down and hang back a bit.  I follow them as they go in for repairs and then I let lose the rockets.
  g:  Repeat a.

Do not conform to the ways of the majority of pilots.  With this method and lots of practice, I guarantee that you will end up shooting down many more bogeys than before.

3.  The Chased

No matter what you do, no matter where you fly, chances are that someone's going to see you flying and attempt to shoot you down.  But hopefully with a little help and guidance, you won't be getting shot down nearly as often.

The hardest planes to shoot down are always piloted by people who are unpredictable.  Flying from the carrier to bomb a base and back to the carrier and back to that same base over and over again is hardly unpredictable.  Chances are highly likely in such a situation that someone is going to catch on to your methods and chase you down with guns blazing.  In order to make yourself an unpredictable target, you will need to learn to fly at different altitudes (low, medium, high) at any given time.  If you continually climb and fall while making sharp turns, you're far less likely to be shot down by enemy missiles.

The pilots I always get frustrated with (while pursuing them) are these types of pilots.  I try to follow their erratic patterns from nearly scraping the ground to high up in the heavens only to plummet in a different direction.  Trying to follow such a target is annoyingly difficult without losing patience and letting them know you are there.

Never release your flares without first checking behind you to see what caused the missile lock.  Too often I experience pilots who let their flares fly as soon the missile lock alarm goes off.  Flares take a long time to re-arm.  Don't let yourself be vulnerable to this folly.

Flares are great at diverting enemy missiles, but it's important to know when to release them.  If you're going in for a bombing run or repairing/re-arming your jet, those are great times to release the flares since you will be flying level (and as such are much more vulnerable to enemy fire) during that time.

If you find yourself without flares and you have a steady missile lock, you're going to have to do everything you can to shake your attacker.  This means quick, tight turns (be sure to utilize your rudder, not just the yaw while turning) are going to be required to keep the missiles from hitting you.  Generally what I do is switch to a different camera angle so that I can see the missiles coming and adjust my flight path accordingly. 

Know your terrain.  This is so important that I shouldn't even put it in this guide, right?  Wrong.  Each and every map has some sort of terrain that can aide you in shaking that pesky bogey.  Cranes, mountains, buildings, even water can be used as obstacles that will make you harder to kill.

a:  Kubra Dam, for example, has a shaft in the base of the dam that is the perfect size for flying jets through.  My advice for aspiring pilots who wish to attempt this feat is to practice offline first. 
  b:  Dalian Plant has mountainous terrain that you can use for cover (not to mention flying in and out of the nuclear smokestacks)

Do not always fly full-throttle.  If you are being chased closely, back off the throttle making either the attacker pass by you or force them to also back off.  If they pass by you, you have now become the attacker- not the attackee.

4.  Bombing Runs

The little dangly line under your sights actually does mean something when your bombs are armed.  The "pipper" will help you know when your plane is flying level and approximately when to release your bombs.  If you release your bombs while the bottom of the pipper line is over your target, you will normally score a direct hit.  That is, of course, if you are not flying full-throttle and you are flying level.  After you release your bombs, switch to another camera angle to check whether or not you actually hit your target.

Unfortunately Battlefield 2 isn't the most realistic flight simulator on the market, so the pipper doesn't work as accurately as we hope, but it's much better than nothing.

Dive bombing is another method of assailing your targets with bombs.  You start by flying at a high altitude and scanning the area for ground targets.  Once you spot one, you make a dive for that target and release your bombs while you are flying downward.  Once you release, you pull up out of the fall and fly away unscathed.  The only problem with this method is that sometimes you can't tell whether or not a ground target is an enemy until it's too late.

5.  Copilots

Pilots of SU-34's and F-15's: this section is for you.  You fly a two-seater aircraft that carries enough firepower to take out many ground targets at once, so please remember to use these aircraft in this manner.  Too often I hop into a copilot seat of one of these jets only find out my pilot wants to chase Mig-29's and F-18's.  If you haven't noticed, the heavy bombers aren't as fast or maneuverable and weren't built for being dogfighters.  If you want to dogfight, use the appropriate equipment.  Please.

Copilots have the ability to fire Air-to-Surface missiles from the F-15's and SU-34's.  If the pilot flies slowly and high enough, the copilot can rack up some serious points by taking out one ground target after another.  And, by flying at high altitudes, they are less susceptible to being hit by Surface-to-Air missiles.  A common problem is that a pilot will forget about the copilot and not give them the time they need to appropriately lock on and fire a missile. 

6.  Conclusion

If you've made it this far and have been practicing all of the methods that I've discussed, I think you'll find yourself all around as a much more successful pilot. You will, most likely, strike fear into the hearts of all those that are against you because you will be harder to shoot down and you have the ability to sneak up on them without them even knowing you're there.

Hopefully you will have found this guide helpful and that it will make you a better pilot than you were before.  If you already knew all this stuff and have more to add, let me know and it'll be added.

Last edited by The Soup Nazi (2005-10-03 11:00:36)

Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6785
Wow, nice guide there, and nice name .  I do much of what you have talked about and it does work.  I think you covered all the bases there, and you must be a pretty good pilot too.  The only thing I can really think of is adding the distiction between fighters and bombers.  While you did make the point that the bomber is used for what its name suggests and is not a dogfighting vehicle, I think that the fighters suffer from thier bombs.  I have seen too many fighters act as bombers in their time, and while useful their general inaccuracy is a massive headache to teammates.  They are much more useful for taking out helicopters I have found, and bombs are something I only use usually on fighters if either a flag is cornered or being taken.

Apart from that, as I said, fantastic guide.  Keep up the good work.
Faith +1
+1|6813|Arizona

The Soup Nazi wrote:

The Soup Nazi's Guide for Becoming a Successful Pilot
  a:  Kubra Dam, for example, has a shaft in the base of the dam that is the perfect size for flying jets through.  My advice for aspiring pilots who wish to attempt this feat is to practice offline first. 
  b:  Dalian Plant has mountainous terrain that you can use for cover (not to mention flying in and out of the nuclear smokestacks)
The funniest thing is when your being chased and you turn right into the "tunnel" and the attacker "is no more."

I have found there are unanticipated objects in there (e.g. copters capping flags from below) that I have run in to because I was bored during a fight and wanted to try it upside down, or roll in the tunnel.

Only thing I wonder is -
When I play on a 64 person map and there are a lot of potential air friendlies out and about, How can I avoid killing them accidentally because someone flared right above them and boom, you were punished for a teamkill.  Only fire when I think I have a true clean shot?
The Soup Nazi
As a general rule, I never ever fire missiles unless if my shot is wide open.  I've been punished more times than I care to admit for missiles that magically change direction and hit friendly targets.  And, once you become proficient with the machine gun, you will rarely find the need to use missiles against other jets. 

It is funny to see how other pilots react to getting shot in the back with the machine gun.  They usually freak out and drop flares immediately- despite the fact that I didn't even have them in missile lock.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

A nice litle tactic I've found is that when you are locked on, fly by an enemy chopper (they're always around) and flare out. The enemies missles, as everyone is painfully aware, automatically retargets the nearest friendly vehicle and proceeds to obliterate it with near 100% success rates.

That's the best right there.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6828|Grapevine, TX
Soup Nazi, great experience you have shared here, especially about the "pipper" for bombing runs! I too use a Logitech 3DExtreme Pro, What kind of setting do you have in the main options menu? I haven't really found that "sweet-spot" for flying yet, but I know I have improved since I started playing. Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again in advance!
The Soup Nazi
To tell you the truth, I haven't modified the sensitivity settings at all in Battlefield 2 for my joystick.  All I did when I was assigning tasks to the buttons was to be sure that the throttle was exactly in the middle before setting the Throttle Up and Throttle Down settings.

chuyskywalker, that's a completely evil tactic you've got there.  I will have to give that a try tonight.
Strayfire
Hooker
+0|6784|PA, USA
I use keyboard, and I don't mean to be conceited, but I have honestly never seen another pilot even as much as match me in the air, not even joystickers. I can pull the Kubra Dam tunnel feat easily (once a chopper went in there to repair because he thought he was safe from me, he was wrong ) and can get rounds in the jet with as much as dozens of kills and as little as no deaths. I'd just like to say something on how I fly, more or less to agree with this guy here.

I am never in the missile display except for when I have just gotten in or if I'm just trying to locate a target (a Cobra against the Clean Sweep sky is hard to spot), then I switch back to bomb interface. The machine gun is the perfect weapon, it can take out most targets in seconds with a dead shot. But the real beauty of is that there's no forewarning lock, meaning that they're probably not going to get out of the way. I use my gun for choppers, jets, soft ground targets, and infantry, I reserve the bombs for armor and for when I fail to kill my target with a machine gun run.

When I'm locked on to, I don't flare, I save them for times like when I'm going down to resupply on the airstrip and a jet's on my ass, you need it most if you're flying straight for one reason for another. Whenever I get a lock, the first thing I do is go into fly-by view, this way I can see if my assailant is a jet, which is the most threatening. If it is, I immediately pull straight up, flip my plane horizontally, and come around in a diagonal turn back towards the ground. In my experience, usually just this is enough to bamboozle the average pilot and make them wonder where the hell I went to. If he's a more skilled pilot and follows me through it, I really start to maneuver (very few pilots have managed to stay on me when I'm maneuvering ). The current objective is just to lose him, nothing else. If it's anti-air, they sentenced themselves to death by locking on to me. I get to a decent altitude and browse around the map until I see him. Once I have his location, I pull up above the fogbarrier and come down straight on top of him. He usually ends up dead in seconds. Dive bombing (or just dive attacking ) for other reasons work too, I love coming down on the enemy helipad with my gun firing and pulling out with 3 kills.

If you're in a bomber and see a target, ALWAYS do a quick check of the minimap to see if there are any friendlies in that area. I greatly reduced the amount of TKs I was getting once I started doing this. If a friendly just got out of a vehicle, it shows up as a target for some reason, so make sure you do a quick scan of the minimap to see if there's anyone near the vehicle, since by the time you see their name it's too late. As well as eliminating enemy ground vehicles, you can also defend flags. If a spawn goes neutral, open up your big map and check the spawn in question for any friendlies. If there aren't any, hit your afterburner and go directly towards that spawn. When you're in bombing range, even if you're not showing up any targets, bomb. Chances are you'll get a kill or two and some flag defense points, then you can let your team get to it and take back control.

Also, just as a general rule, your best bet is to make sure you have a clean shot from the rear before opening fire. If you shoot before, you're just giving yourself away.

By the way, great guide mate. I know a lot of the stuff I just said is mentioned in your guide (seems like we fly in similar ways), but I felt like adding my own 2 cents on it. Rock on, keyboarders, rock on...
Faith +1
+1|6813|Arizona

The Soup Nazi wrote:

As a general rule, I never ever fire missiles unless if my shot is wide open.  I've been punished more times than I care to admit for missiles that magically change direction and hit friendly targets.  And, once you become proficient with the machine gun, you will rarely find the need to use missiles against other jets. 

It is funny to see how other pilots react to getting shot in the back with the machine gun.  They usually freak out and drop flares immediately- despite the fact that I didn't even have them in missile lock.
I just have to play more only guns... In BF1947 if you aimed for the engines it would obliterate the plane really fast.  Anything like that on BF2?

chuyskywalker wrote:

A nice litle tactic I've found is that when you are locked on, fly by an enemy chopper (they're always around) and flare out. The enemies missles, as everyone is painfully aware, automatically retargets the nearest friendly vehicle and proceeds to obliterate it with near 100% success rates.

That's the best right there.
I am way toooooo painfully clear on this one.   I joined a server - took out the jet 8 times and the chopper a few times - then they got another pilot.  that did what you suggested (Flares over my friendly just as I had tone) boom out of 3 enemy choppers and 1 enemy plane it sought out MY FRIENDLY... boy.. I got kicked for this accidental tk.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6846|-
Ugh, I'm so tired of hearing that you need a joystick to be a better pilot. It is NOT necessary to have a joystick to fly well. I don't use one and I do just fine.
The Soup Nazi

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Ugh, I'm so tired of hearing that you need a joystick to be a better pilot. It is NOT necessary to have a joystick to fly well. I don't use one and I do just fine.
this is why my first sentence of the guide was:  "This may be an issue of opinion, but I know that purchasing a joystick has helped my pilot skills immensely."
Gabriel
+0|6784
tried the keyboard routine, failed, tried the joystick option....i still blow arse chunks out my nose when it comes to flying. this sucks as flight sims used to be what i was good at
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6846|-

The Soup Nazi wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

this is why my first sentence of the guide was:  "This may be an issue of opinion, but I know that purchasing a joystick has helped my pilot skills immensely."
How can you base a guide off of your personal opinion then?
Strayfire
Hooker
+0|6784|PA, USA

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

He's not, he's basing it on how he flies as a pilot, the joystick is just a suggestion. Whatever equipment you use, those are undeniably good tips. I use keyboard, and I always fly as if I were following this guide, even though I just read it today. If I were to write a jet piloting guide, it would turn out very similar to the one Soup Nazi's written, even though I use keyboard and he uses joystick. If you look further up the page, I DID write a little mini-guide on how I fly.
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6806
Soup, nice guide and nice name (that's Seinfeld, right?). Im not really interested in flying, but now that you gave out that guide, I'll probably give it a try again. I just find it really hard to keep the plane stable when changing my view. That's what actually brought me off flying...I always crashed when I tried that
But really nice work, thanks for investing time to make this guide. It will definitely help a lot of people.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Because it's a guide not an absolute.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6846|-

chuyskywalker wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Because it's a guide not an absolute.
Stop being smarter than me
[OBC]Ben
Hotel California
+0|6792|Oakland, CA
I got that same joystick over the weekend, but i cant program it right, how do i do it? i mean i got the weapons to work, but not the moving and taking off step.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6846|San Francisco

Forgot to mention constantly checking behind you. I do it like it's going out of style so that people who fly in bombing mode (like myself and most half-decent pilots) can't sneak up on me.

Also, I find that a program called 'JoytoKey' Is a total Godsend when using a joystick. With this nifty little program I can utilize the pov hat as it was intended by setting a key to mouselook and setting my pov hat to mouse movement. You can also toggle various preset joystick configurations on the fly in case you want to fly the chopper with different setup than planes etc.

And another note about flaring... if you flare while pulling up slightly and then push back down and fly along with them then you remain unlockable for quite a bit longer. This is very handy against pilots who really aren't that good and are not able to hit you consistantly with guns, or pilots who are out of gunning range but within missile lock range. The drawback is that you end up flying in a straight line with the flares for a bit, although you can get creative with this and flare while banking and climbing in order to 'fan' your flares a bit more and thus give you more room to maneuver within the safety of your flares.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6788|Singapore

Sweet. I think I should really get about trying to fly
RoyWereForUniMare
+0|6780|Holland/Netherlands
I mst say that this is a very handy guide since I'm not good with plaines, I prefer something that isn't too fast nor too slow... like a car! , but thanks to this guide I'll try to follow it and see how it will go.
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6838|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
i should really learn how to bomb stuff so i can better utilize the jet since i don't have a joystick either.
Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6779|Alabama Coast, USA
I just got my Extreme 3D Pro back up, and it is a fantastic stick.  Just a note, the 3D Pro's calibration will drift a little bit as well (probably not as bad as you were describing with the other).  The solution to this is to un-plus, and re-plug the USB (make sure your stick is stable and centered at the time), and that will recalibrate it (afaik, it's the only way to do it... so it may be handy to use a front jack if your USB ports in the rear are difficult to get to).

Until I got the stick back up, I wouldn't touch a jet (except once when there were two on the flight deck in Oman, and no one wanting to use them, so I could get the parajumper ribbon), and only flew a hilo if I had to... otherwise I would wait for someone else to jump in, and go for gunner.

I've been trying to practice in single player, and am getting better, but it's somewhat difficult because I really have flown (sailplanes, and yes, it's a real plane regulated by the FAA, first solo August 28, 1994).  The physics are off in BF... in a real plan, you bank to turn, rudders are for slight adjustments, and things like landing with a cross wind.  Rudders do far too much in BF, and banking far too little  (if you bank 45 degrees, you should do a fair bit of turning, just from that... pull up/down to maintain attitude).   That, and the last stick game I played was one of the X-Wing games... where left-right on the stick controls yaw (btw, where you said yaw should be roll, otherwise a sweet guide on tactics).

And I don't know what it is... but Hilos have changed...  I was pretty good at setting hilos right where I want them in BF:Vietnam, but I'm nowhere near that yet with BF2.

[OBC]Ben wrote:

I got that same joystick over the weekend, but i cant program it right, how do i do it? i mean i got the weapons to work, but not the moving and taking off step.
Go to the control settings, and you want to be setting as secondary with the joystick everything that has "Mouse Axis N".  Start with the pitch (up/down).  When you set one direction, it sets the other.  Make sure you move the stick in the right direction.  If you are setting pitch down (I think it shows something like "nose forward" in the settings), point the stick forward (if you pull back, it will be inverted of what you want).  Repeat for roll (banking left/right).  Repeat for yaw (rudder left/right... which they call *shivers* "turning").  Then repeat for accelleration with the throttle (What are currently bound as the "s" and "w" keys).  I think Soup suggested to have the throttle dead center when binding that... but I haven't had issues doing from 0% to 100% and vice versa... but either way, make sure before you start binding accelleration that you have room to push it forward, and for braking room to pull it back).  After that, center throttle should be 0% (I think just enough to hover in a chopper), forward of that of course is more throttle (more collective in a chopper), less than that braking (apparently reverse thrusters too, as I found on the ground, and less collective in a chopper, or the reverse needed for VTOL in the Marine version joint strike fighter... dunno the F-designation on that, if there is one).
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6819
I use one of those duel joystick PS2 like game controllers for jets and heli's..  have to practice with those machine guns on the jets though..
Croak
+11|6804|San Marcos, CA
Master deflection shooting and you'll never need to use your missle mode for kills (though it's still pretty handy for scaring people).  And don't be totally dependant on bombs for ground kills, you can easily take out a tank with your guns alone with just a couple passes.  It's also handy to have good gunnery skills if your airbase is capped..you can stay in the air and still contribute (and deny the other team a jet spawn) as long as your cannon ammo holds out.

A little update with this patch, it seems that ANY launched AA missle near you now sets off your missle warning...friendly or enemy.  It can be annoying, but it can also save you from being TK'd by that over-eager teammate sitting in the IGLA mount..if you hear the warning tone, it's a good idea to go evasive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard