SierraKilo9
+0|6743|Sydney
Someone posted the other day claiming none of the BF2 maps were real. Well check this out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Island

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac … os/wq.html

Weather at Wake Island tomorrow with be partly cloudy with a top of 80 degs F ...... awesome!
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6691|Mountains of West Virginia
wow this is a suprise?
WW2 anyone?
Wicked89
+1|6686
Did you ever notice the Japense fighter planes on the map? Thats because it was a real island that was invaded shortly after pearl harbor was attacked. A small group of marines and civilans(sp) tried to hold of the attack but soon after the Japense over ran them and they where forced to surrender. Thats all the history  I feel like teaching today.
I2elik
+12|6749|Perth, Western Australia
Congratulations! You have been promoted to smacktard status.

Yes. it is a real map, it's obvious, it was in BF1942, so it HAD to be real, like all the other maps that came with it, whoever said Wake Island wasn't real should be hogtied in a basement in Siberia and left there.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6772|UK
Sweet I wanna go on holiday there
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6731|cairns australia
i posted maps btw.fyi daqing oilfields and the dalian plant are real too.and there is a songhua river.
https://x402.putfile.com/2/5605190687.png

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-03-03 20:37:17)

InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6640|Cumberland, MD, USA
All of the BF1942 maps were real. Perhaps you know Midway, the turning point of the war in the Pacific. Or maybe Berlin, where the Allies finished off the Nazi thousand year reich. Or possibly Iwo Jima, the infamous battle where thousand of Marines stormed the island only to be slaughtered by the waiting Japs. Maybe Guadalcanal...

That's enough. It is true that none of the BF2 exclusive maps are real. Wake 2007 is only Wake Island revamped with BF2's engine and some misc. objects thrown into it.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6716|California

for the love of god tell me your are joking..
if not, mabye you should attend your history classes
ComradeWho
+50|6691|Southern California

I2elik wrote:

Yes. it is a real map, it's obvious, it was in BF1942, so it HAD to be real, like all the other maps that came with it, whoever said Wake Island wasn't real should be hogtied in a basement in Siberia and left there.
there's no more reason for a person living in Sydney Australia to be aware of this minimal event in United States/Japanese military history any more than there's a reason for me to know about anything that the Australians did.  It strikes of ethnocentricity to be offended by and demean somebody who's neither Japanese or a United States citizen who just learned of this. There's no reason for the battle of Wake to be taught outside of a US History or History of WW2 course - why would it be in standard Australian textbooks?
MooseRyder
+37|6651|Montréal, Canada
welcome to the real world lmao
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?

InviSniper wrote:

All of the BF1942 maps were real. Perhaps you know Midway, the turning point of the war in the Pacific. Or maybe Berlin, where the Allies finished off the Nazi thousand year reich. Or possibly Iwo Jima, the infamous battle where thousand of Marines stormed the island only to be slaughtered by the waiting Japs. Maybe Guadalcanal...

That's enough. It is true that none of the BF2 exclusive maps are real. Wake 2007 is only Wake Island revamped with BF2's engine and some misc. objects thrown into it.
read my previous post.there are real places like daqing.dalian & songhua.hardly none.btw i knew about wake although am not an average aussie:D

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-03-03 20:41:08)

Digital Aura
Git R Dun
+18|6657|Ontario, Canada
He's joking right!? I mean...unless your 12, you gotta be joking.
ComradeWho

Digital Aura wrote:

He's joking right!? I mean...unless your 12, you gotta be joking.
You're an idiot too.

Look at his location, he's in Sydney.
Why would Australians give a shit about a battle which was tiny and who's only significance was to hurt US morale?

Hey should I start listing major battles that Paraguay was involved in and then mock you for your lack of information?

It's pretty arrogant, ignorant, and obnoxious to put this guy down for not knowing Wake exists or that it was in bf1942. 

You really think that that was an important battle? You think because the history channel likes to talk about it to their retarded american audience that other people in other parts of the world who were involved in the war equally care? You have to be joking... unless you're 12.
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6726|Rochester, NY
Ummm... Hi? Welcome to the World???
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6698|Little Rock, Arkansas

ComradeWho wrote:

I2elik wrote:

there's no more reason for a person living in Sydney Australia to be aware of this minimal event in United States/Japanese military history any more than there's a reason for me to know about anything that the Australians did.  It strikes of ethnocentricity to be offended by and demean somebody who's neither Japanese or a United States citizen who just learned of this. There's no reason for the battle of Wake to be taught outside of a US History or History of WW2 course - why would it be in standard Australian textbooks?
The battle of Wake Island was hardly a minimal event. Moreover, I'd like to take this time to point out that the Australians had as much vested in the island hopping stragedy of the US PacFleet as the Americans did. The original battle plan for the Japanese called for an eventual invasion of Australia, a fact the Aussies well knew. The blokes from down under were one of the largest contributers of troops to the pacific war effort.

And its called studying history for a reason. I'm an american, but somehow I have knowledge of the War of the Roses, Hundred Years War, Falklands war, the Sino-Japanese conflicts, and numerous other battles.

Its called an education kids. Stay in school. Don't do drugs. It'll help you get a better job, make more money, and ensure that I don't have to pay for welfare for your children.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6716|California

if we lost wake island, we WOULD have lost the war in the Pacific, that affects the WHOLE world
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6688|Calgary
Enemy noob spotted
SierraKilo9
+0|6743|Sydney
"He's joking right!? I mean...unless your 12, you gotta be joking."

Christian Trance!!!!???? Fuck man, tell me you're joking, PLEASE!!!! But you can't can you .... ROFL .... thats fucken hilarious!!!
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
https://x10.putfile.com/3/6122155875-thumb.jpg
songhua river - satellite photo.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6716|California

i see no fog in that picture
Terrible_chester
PKM Whore
+16|6632|Prolly on wake.

SierraKilo9 wrote:

Someone posted the other day claiming none of the BF2 maps were real. Well check this out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Island

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac … os/wq.html

Weather at Wake Island tomorrow with be partly cloudy with a top of 80 degs F ...... awesome!
Someone tell me he was kidding.....please...

jesus fucking christ.
Terrible_chester
PKM Whore
+16|6632|Prolly on wake.

blisteringsilence wrote:

ComradeWho wrote:

I2elik wrote:

The battle of Wake Island was hardly a minimal event. Moreover, I'd like to take this time to point out that the Australians had as much vested in the island hopping stragedy of the US PacFleet as the Americans did. The original battle plan for the Japanese called for an eventual invasion of Australia, a fact the Aussies well knew. The blokes from down under were one of the largest contributers of troops to the pacific war effort.

And its called studying history for a reason. I'm an american, but somehow I have knowledge of the War of the Roses, Hundred Years War, Falklands war, the Sino-Japanese conflicts, and numerous other battles.

Its called an education kids. Stay in school. Don't do drugs. It'll help you get a better job, make more money, and ensure that I don't have to pay for welfare for your children.
Ahhh internet forum ownage at its finest. So quick he was to jump on the "mean Americans"...sad sack.
Flyboy63
+8|6701|South Australia
holy shit
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6669|Colorado
ComradeWho

blisteringsilence wrote:

ComradeWho wrote:

I2elik wrote:

it was fucking minimal, it was an outpost manned by unqualified marines and officers using antiquated weapons. it served little strategic purpose. you're getting it confused with midway. it's only significance is it was the first land battle that the united states was involved in in the pacific. - underlining how unimportant it really would be to any other country since why would they note the first land battle we were involved in? are you so stupid as to think that that's common knowledge outside of the US? can you name the first land battle turkey was involved in (and don't go google that either)?

Yeah, the australians had a lot vested in island hopping - good job pointing that out! but it still has nothing to do with the battle of wake island in which the japanese overran a patch of dirt that was about a mile square with a couple of planes. at this point in the war MacArthur and Nimitz hadn't even opened up the island hopping debate since we were on the defensive. just because it's an island doesn't mean it has anything to do with island hopping or the surival of australia. jesus you fool - if you're going to be a snob about history atleast have a decent grasp of it.

By the way - in the US we're overly taught about battles and politicans and things of that nature. Maybe you study history in depth (but i doubt from your post) but for every person that knows about the battle of wake in this country there are 10 or 20 or 100 that couldn't name four abolishonist leaders, four suffragette leaders, four labor leaders, or four civil rights leaders (you know that kind of shit is pretty important to). this kind of stupid debate just underscores how arrogant and truly stupid most americans are. again, there's no reason for an australian to know about this battle, and very little for an american who's not taking a WW2 history class to know about it either. doubtful that you have a holistic knowledge of the war and highly likely that all of your knowledge is concentrated on the US involvement.

Last edited by ComradeWho (2006-03-03 21:02:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard