-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California
Read that before
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock

_j5689_ wrote:

Anybody ever worked at Office Depot before?  I might go there and repair computers, my friend said he used to do it and made about $10.00 an hour after commission
wait wait wait wait, AFTER!?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Jaekus wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Anybody ever worked at Office Depot before?  I might go there and repair computers, my friend said he used to do it and made about $10.00 an hour after commission
AFTER commission?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

he'd be repairing computers, not making million dollar deals over breakfast.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
A mate of mine was getting $15 an hour cash in hand (ie. tax free) for building computers, no commission.

A kid working at McDonald's gets more than $10 an hour serving up lard to fatties.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-06-04 16:43:57)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Comparing tax free (under the table) to a regular job (over the table) doesn't make sense

Kids here working at McDonalds start at minimum wage (in _J5689's state, it is $7.50/hour)
Adams_BJ
I was on 15 bucks an hour working at a pizza shop at 15
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

that's good money for a dead end job at 15.  I would be bragging too.  I think when I delivered pizzas when I was in college I was clearing like $1k/month.
rdx-fx
+955|6562
When I was in my late teens and early twenties, my job had free healthcare, free dental, free housing, free food, and free ammo & explosives.
Then when you got out, they paid you to go to college for 4 years.
Adams_BJ

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

that's good money for a dead end job at 15.  I would be bragging too.  I think when I delivered pizzas when I was in college I was clearing like $1k/month.
yeah wasn't bad for an after school job, probably made over $20 if I included tips. And tips weren't taxed either.

One thing I will never get about america, raise the minimum wage, and don't make tips compulsory or taxed.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I don't know how it is in Britain and Australia but minimum wage in the U.S. has been shown to not to keep up with the cost of living and inflation at all, especially not in this area with the much higher cost of living.  The income tax makes it even worse but then at least you get a tax return later on if you don't make a certain amount in the year

DC minimum wage is a full dollar more than in Maryland but people who I know who have worked there tell me the benefit is lost on Maryland residents because of having to pay to take the Metro into the city or driving through the city to get anywhere

Also I think this explains how restaurant workers in the US legally get paid less than minimum wage and must make up the difference in tips or something like that: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 511AAK0zKL

And also a chart that shows minimum wage by state for anybody interested:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Btw, I was wrong, it's actually $7.25 in Maryland(Federal minimum as well)

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-06-04 20:13:49)

Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Comparing tax free (under the table) to a regular job (over the table) doesn't make sense

Kids here working at McDonalds start at minimum wage (in _J5689's state, it is $7.50/hour)
The point is that with a regular job he would get a bit more per hour, but pay tax. But his employer would also contribute 9% of his wage into his superannuation.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Minimum wage in Australia for anyone 21 or over is $15.51 p/h
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Jaekus wrote:

and a lot of jobs have higher award rates as well.

but adams raising minimum wage won't really help with anything, it'll just leave more people unemployed and raise cost of living, which is why goods in australia are way more expensive than in the USA.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Adams_BJ

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

but adams raising minimum wage won't really help with anything, it'll just leave more people unemployed and raise cost of living, which is why goods in australia are way more expensive than in the USA.
castrate the blacks
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah my award is a bit over $24
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

One interview done and now I'm waiting in a lobby for the next one to start in 10 min.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6162|Roma
Gogogogogogog Funky
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Allrighty then. Now I got two companies interested in my teamleading skillz. Cross your wieners that I'll get offers!
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Awesome man.

I got not complaints in this thread. I love my job.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City

_j5689_ wrote:

Regardless of all the crap over the amount of money, I will say this: If you are interested in an IT job, and you can maintain this job for a year or so, the experience to add onto a resume would go further than half the certificates and degrees people waive around in the application process. A year of that at (if you work full time) roughly $20K a year, then a service desk job somewhere better for a year at $30K, then move on up.

Most people in my building got started in IT doing stuff like that, including myself (mine was volunteer work maintaining a library computer system). The salary limit on my current job is 100K/year (guaranteed to hit your cap after 13 years, by the way). The bottom end is about $55K. There are multiple positions above me that I could move into.

So yeah, if that is what you want to do for a living, by all means start at the bottom and work up like a normal human being.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Well, working my way up is the idea since I can't do college anymore.  You make it sound like that repair job sucks really bad though, obviously it's not my ideal IT job which would consist of running around troubleshooting and fixing/upgrading things like I did at my school as an intern but I still get to work with computers at least.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-06-05 12:25:43)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

Corporate office moving.

Pros:
Great new location
Awesome views of the Pasadena hills.
Walking distance to restaurants and upscale shopping
Huge multi-level parking lot
Nice outside eating area
Big break room on each floor
$800+ ergonomic chairs

Con:
Open office floor plans.
Management, even all the way up to executive level, lose private offices and just get desks.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

It's amazing seeing job postings now compared to 6, 12, 18 months ago. I jump straight to the pay offer and think "sweet, this is entry level pay!" Then I go back and read the requirements and it's all Master's required, Professional license required. Silly HR people, you're never gonna fill that position with those people at that price.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
i am afriad students with masters are just as desperate as normal grads
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard