Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6472

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

northern industrial workers had it much worse than slaves in the south. damn carpetbaggers and their war of northern aggression.
lolsure
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6504|so randum
i wasn't sure if i was dreaming he posted that
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5982|Blue Mountain State

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The U.S. Navy has named a bunch of ships over the years after Confederate leaders including Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. I'm sure there are plenty of cities, roads, landmarks and other things named after them too. Do you think the U.S. government or we as a people should avoid or have a de facto ban on naming things about Confed leaders? No matter how good of generals they were or honorable or anything, they were still traitors who rebelled against their government and country. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards stripping them of any and all posthumous honors.

What do you think?

Now before someone chims in with "what are we supposed to name things after?!''. How about we name things after people who didn't nearly rip the country apart?
Shouldn't name anything after anybody American, you are all traitors who rebelled against our government.
eat shit and die
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5362|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  Anyone up for the Timothy McVeigh highway?  How about the Ted Kaczynski turnpike?
I drove on Christopher Columbus Highway today
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  Anyone up for the Timothy McVeigh highway?  How about the Ted Kaczynski turnpike?
I drove on Christopher Columbus Highway today
on Martin Luther King Day, what an American coincidence!
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5706|College Park, MD
you jackasses don't think i'm serious do you

there's a Martin Luther King Jr Avenue in DC, burnzz

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-01-16 21:37:38)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

there's a Martin Luther King Jr Avenue in every city of every state, except Arizona
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6694|Tampa Bay Florida

13urnzz wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

there's a Martin Luther King Jr Avenue in every city of every state, except Arizona
Fact
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6776|PNW

Turquoise wrote:

William Wallace St vs Jack the Ripper Blvd, if you want to be absurd.

War's over, turq.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Adolf Hitler Ave

Oddly, despite being a historically tourist-attracting shopping district, all the jewelry stores are located along the parallel road, where there are outrageously-priced parking meters
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

You can't cherry pick the parts of history you like.

Comparing confederate generals to Hitler and jack the ripper is absurd.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6392|New York
I don't mind them naming places and ships after notable Confederate people. I do, however, have a serious problem with the Confederate Flag. In my opinion, THAT should not be allowed to be waved in this country at all.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why not?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jsnipy
+3,276|6526|...

Jay wrote:

Why not?
Because history has deemed the civil war/war between the states to be "about slavery"; which it was not. It was about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, not ethics.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6392|New York

Jay wrote:

Why not?
Simply put, they lost and we didn't. If they won, we would probably have their flag instead.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6409|North Carolina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

War's over, turq.
Bin Laden Boulevard has a nice ring to it.

heggs wrote:

I don't mind them naming places and ships after notable Confederate people. I do, however, have a serious problem with the Confederate Flag. In my opinion, THAT should not be allowed to be waved in this country at all.
That kind of violates the freedom of speech though.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-01-17 11:33:01)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6409|North Carolina

jsnipy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why not?
Because history has deemed the civil war/war between the states to be "about slavery"; which it was not. It was about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, not ethics.
Well, to be fair, every war is about money.  The American Revolution was about taxes, for example.

And even looking past that, every war ends up making certain people a lot of money.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6392|New York

Turquoise wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

War's over, turq.

heggs wrote:

That kind of violates the freedom of speech though.
Yeah, you kinda got me there.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

heggs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why not?
Simply put, they lost and we didn't. If they won, we would probably have their flag instead.
So? Should we force the Brits to remove the flag draping from their Consulate building in Manhattan because we beat them? Silly reasoning.
-Frederick Bastiat
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6392|New York

Jay wrote:

heggs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why not?
So? Should we force the Brits to remove the flag draping from their Consulate building in Manhattan because we beat them? Silly reasoning.
Apples to oranges TBH.

The Confederate flag represented the South during the Civil War. The North won, and we moved forward with a different set of flags throughout history. This was an internal struggle in which we had one victor that has moved forward as one entity, the US.

The British are a completely separate country that while we were at war with them in the past, we are now allied with. Two separate entities existed after the Revolutionary war.

I see the point you're trying to make, however.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6720

heggs wrote:

Jay wrote:

heggs wrote:

Apples to oranges TBH.

The Confederate flag represented the South during the Civil War. The North won, and we moved forward with a different set of flags throughout history. This was an internal struggle in which we had one victor that has moved forward as one entity, the US.

The British are a completely separate country that while we were at war with them in the past, we are now allied with. Two separate entities existed after the Revolutionary war.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Flag_of_the_State_of_Georgia_%281956-2001%29.svg/800px-Flag_of_the_State_of_Georgia_%281956-2001%29.svg.png

well it was taken down after 2001
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6776|PNW

Look, did we reintegrate the south or didn't we? Loyalty to your state was more of a driving force than loyalty to the union. I can see how federal loyalists would have an issue with the confederate flag (history painting things as it has), but not the people caught up in the civil war. What about all the land and homes razed by Union forces? Should we blacklist northern leaders as well? Remove Lincoln from US currency?

Turquoise wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

War's over, turq.
Don't really get the point, do you.

heggs wrote:

Jay wrote:

heggs wrote:

Apples to oranges TBH.

Dude, the war for independence was an internal struggle as well. We were a part of the entity we were trying to break away from, and so was the south.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Look, did we reintegrate the south or didn't we? Loyalty to your state was more of a driving force than loyalty to the union. I can see how federal loyalists would have an issue with the confederate flag (history painting things as it has), but not the people caught up in the civil war. What about all the land and homes razed by Union forces? Should we blacklist northern leaders as well? Remove Lincoln from US currency?
1. No, we didn't reintegrate the South.  Hence the vast network of military bases, and Jim Crow.  Good article http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 69,00.html

2. Loyalty to the Union was always the driving force behind the Civil war.  Kmar already explained it was a war between people who considered themselves Americans.  Loyalty to your state was more of a driving force?  Where'd you ever hear that?

3. People have an issue with the confederate flag because it is a message to others that says "the second the Federal government does something I don't like, or the second a President gets elected whom I think will do something I don't like (Lincoln), I'm going to violently attempt to take over federal property". (Fort Sumter).  And of course, the whole slavery thing.

4. No one has ever said the Union did not do bad things.  You, on the other hand, seem to believe "history painting things as it has" is the reason people associate the Confederate flag with slavery.  As if it's just an artificial "painting" over some higher truth.

5. Blacklist the abolitionists?  Blacklist a President?  Because people have an issue with naming things after a fake President?  Okay, dude, lol...

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-01-17 20:15:44)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5263|foggy bottom
lets rename the autobahn "hitler highway"
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard